• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renji_11

Are you fucking kidding me Mitt?!

He gets asked "Will you be able to add up the deductions you're taking away to get the $5 trillion for your tax cut."

His answer is basically "Obama's charge is wrong. It's not a $5 trillion tax cut, because I will get rid of deductions to make up for it. :D"

How in fuck's name did Blitzer let him get away with that. Fucking hell this is beyond terrible. I'm so fucking pissed now I'm about to throw something at my fucking TV.
Yeah I was listening to that smh gotta be the reason they did an interview with Wolf because they know he won't push back.... Soledad needs to be doing these interviews.

Lately, Soledad O'Brien is basically the only person on CNN in any capacity that is actually doing her job.

CNN as a whole has become worthless. They have no narrative like Fox or MSNBC to push and at the same time they don't establish themselves as the unbiased news network by calling out bullshit and trying to have legit discussions.

It's veering onto Entertainment Tonight territory.

Businesses affiliated with the husband of Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill have received almost $40 million in federal subsidies for low-income housing developments during her first five years in office, though it appears only fraction of that has made it to the family's bank accounts, according to an Associated Press analysis.

McCaskill's Republican challenger, Rep. Todd Akin, says the federal payments should be a cause for concern among voters. He's attempting to portray the Democratic senator's family as a prime beneficiary of government largesse.

"There is a conflict of interest and a breach of trust with the citizens of our state," Akin said in an interview with the AP.

McCaskill campaign spokesman Caitlin Legacki called such assertions "flat-out wrong."

There is no evidence that McCaskill personally routed the money to her husband's businesses. But she voted for some — and against other — bills that funded the federal housing and agriculture departments, which in turn provide subsidies to businesses with federal contracts to provide low-income housing.

The AP reviewed five years' worth of federal personal financial disclosure statements filed by McCaskill, which list more than 300 "affordable housing" businesses in which her husband, Joseph Shepard, had at least a partial ownership during the time she has been in office. At least one-third of those businesses also appear to be listed as recipients of federal payments in an online government database that tracks spending.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57529029/sen-mccaskills-spouse-received-$40-million-in-government-subsidies/

Akin comeback begins. Gives an excuse to vote for him despite being a misogynist fuckwad?

Chumly

Lately, Soledad O'Brien is basically the only person on CNN in any capacity that is actually doing her job.

CNN as a whole has become worthless. They have no narrative like Fox or MSNBC to push and at the same time they don't establish themselves as the unbiased news network by calling out bullshit and trying to have legit discussions.

Pretty much. CNN annoys me more than fox.
At least we know fox is partisan. CNN pretends they are some great source of Independant journalism and they are absolute garbage.

Averon

CNN is mired in false equivalency, "he said, she said", and "both sides are guilty" journalism. They're so dead scared of offending people that they essentially do nothing.

That's because the network as a whole subscribes to the Golden Mean Fallacy.

Pretty much. CNN annoys me more than fox.
At least we know fox is partisan. CNN pretends they are some great source of Independant journalism and they are absolute garbage.

This reminded me of a blog post by NYU Journalism Professor Jay Rosen who can better articulate the frustration many feel at CNN than I can.

Just listen to Jeff Bewkes, CEO of Time Warner, praising Walton... "When Jim Walton assumed the presidency of CNN in 2003, it was underperforming and earnings were in serious decline. Since then, he and CNN have tripled earnings, doubled margin and delivered annual growth of 15 percent. In his nearly 31 years of uninterrupted and distinguished service to CNN, Jim has been instrumental in growing the business into the financial powerhouse it has become, while establishing the brand as the worldwide leader for television news."

A financial powerhouse growing at 15 percent a year needs new thinking? I doubt it. Bland newsy mush is not a weakness, but a strategic proposition for CNN. They've made their peace with mediocrity and also-ran status in prime time in the US. The fact that CNN is neither Fox nor MSNBC lets everyone feel great about his or her own "serious news person" credentials, and if you under-estimate how powerful that feeling alone is, you cannot get a handle on why this situation persists. They know almost no one watches until there's a big breaking news event, and they know they surrender everything to it and go to wall-to-wall whether there's anything to report or not. They don't care.

For there to be any movement at CNN, they would have to admit that the View from Nowhere, and "we're not the left or the right-leaning network," and "at CNN, the news is the star" and "the worldwide leader in news" have lost their power to inspire great work. But that cannot be admitted. For structural reasons--the biege carpet that offends no one--and for ideological reasons. The people at CNN think they are better than everyone else in cable TV because they haven't gone left or right. Who's going to tell them they're not? No one has been able to yet, and plenty have tried.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106506966828595242496/posts/QvNKFSPejXo

I might have posted it before, sorry if it's a retread.

You guys seen this yet?

romney-crouch-ap.jpg

Trurl

Banned
I like voting on election day, going out to eat afterwards with a friend and making a day out of it. It seems like Obama volunteers want me to feel bad for not voting early.

Cloudy

Banned
I like voting on election day, going out to eat afterwards with a friend and making a day out of it. It seems like Obama volunteers want me to feel bad for not voting early.

With the rampant vote suppression tactics going on around the country, I don't blame them. If your mind is made up, why not vote early if you can?

Jackson50

Again, what does that say about Obama's lead? The fact that Romney could tell half the country they suck, then take the lead, tells me more about Obama than Romney
Nothing. I think it reveals the warped perceptions many have of how campaigns and voters operate. When you consider the entirety of the campaign, the vicissitudes we obsess over, whether the 47% comment or you didn't build that, are comparably trivial. That's why many of the bounces from these events, presuming they're even distinguishable from noise, prove transient. Consequently, the fundamentals and organizational components, which structure voter behavior, are often obscured by noise. So it may be that, and I've posited this before, Obama had been overachieving relative to expectations.

Thus, we're experiencing a small correction relative to expectations. And we'll experience another correction as Romney's bounce subsides. Essentially, people will live and die by noise while the underlying structure remains constant. I reasoned his organizational advantage was partially responsible for him overachieving, and I expect the outcome in November will ultimately reflect his advantage. It's easy to lose sight of these factors when you're fixated on noise. These are the reasons I've not tempered my certitude that Obama will win. I waited until recently to see if either the economy would recede or Romney could close his organizational deficit. Those could truly harm Obama. But neither of them happened.
I'm sorry, PD, for believing the political science about debates.
The political science literature analyzes the effect on the whole. The effect of the debates will remain unknown until after the final debate.

Both my girlfriend and I will be voting early this election.

I'll be out of state for work and she is working a 12 hour shift in the ER during election day. We're going to make a date out of voting early. :)

Qazaq

Banned
Nothing. I think it reveals the warped perceptions many have of how campaigns and voters operate. When you consider the entirety of the campaign, the vicissitudes we obsess over, whether the 47% comment or you didn't build that, are comparably trivial. That's why many of the bounces from these events, presuming they're even distinguishable from noise, prove transient. Consequently, the fundamentals and organizational components, which structure voter behavior, are often obscured by noise. So it may be that, and I've posited this before, Obama had been overachieving relative to expectations.

Thus, we're experiencing a small correction relative to expectations. And we'll experience another correction as Romney's bounce subsides. Essentially, people will live and die by noise while the underlying structure remains constant. I reasoned his organizational advantage was partially responsible for him overachieving, and I expect the outcome in November will ultimately reflect his advantage. It's easy to lose sight of these factors when you're fixated on noise. These are the reasons I've not tempered my certitude that Obama will win. I waited until recently to see if either the economy would recede or Romney could close his organizational deficit. Those could truly harm Obama. But neither of them happened.

A+ post.

This will assuredly get me run out of here.

The affirmative action mechanisms as they currently work largely do not benefit the low income minorities that they should be designed to help. The focus on pure diversity as some sort of classroom benefit is at odds with what affirmative action should be designed to do.

If universities designed a strictly economic mechanism I think it would better pass constitutional muster and better reach people who need it.

It's up to the university to decide what makes for a good classroom.

If the university decides that race should be part of that equation to give a new perspective to whitebread America, then sure, why not.

To say that race has no effect on culture and identity is naive. Race is a big part of identity for minority populations. It also affects belief systems and views about America. Having this perspective in colleges can only be viewed as a positive.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/149087/Blacks-Whites-Differ-Government-Role-Civil-Rights.aspx

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148361/Religion-Party-Strongly-Linked-Among-Whites-Not-Blacks.aspx

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
One of the teachers I work with told me he found this new polling site that was showing the true polls that weren't manipulated by the media. You guessed it: Unskewedpolls.com.

SMH

I explained why it's a terrible site but I don't think it had any effect.

Measley

Holy shit at the democratic party's ground game! I just completed early voting, and it's packed here. The dens bussed in a horde of students from the Obama rally, and there's strobe lights and music everywhere.

Best of all, the dens are passing out leaflets telling who to vote for.

Now WillIAm is coming out to greet all the voters. Crazy.

One of the teachers I work with told me he found this new polling site that was showing the true polls that weren't manipulated by the media. You guessed it: Unskewedpolls.com.

SMH

I explained why it's a terrible site but I don't think it had any effect.

I wish I was a Psychiatrist so I could truly understand the logic and reasoning behind why people deny blatant evidence that contradicts their view of reality.

Holy shit at the democratic party's ground game! I just completed early voting, and it's packed here. The dens bussed in a horde of students from the Obama rally, and there's strobe lights and music everywhere.

where do u live?

Wished I could vote early, but it's like half-an-hour from me. Work doesn't start until 10:30, though, so I might be able to swing by. That or take the day off.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I wonder were the polls numbers skewered because they didn't count the % of people who already voted?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The other thread hasn't been locked yet, so I'm cutting and pasting my introduction here:

Hi!

I'm a Republican who believes in the economic policy of Romney but absolutely hates the bible thumping that has been happening lately. If they keep this shit up, I'll vote Democrat but in the long term I'm going to try and get these incumbents out and replace them with a true Republican.

The debate thread said that not enough of us have shown up around here, so here I am.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The other thread hasn't been locked yet, so I'm cutting and pasting my introduction here:

Hi!

I'm a Republican who believes in the economic policy of Romney but absolutely hates the bible thumping that has been happening lately. If they keep this shit up, I'll vote Democrat but in the long term I'm going to try and get these incumbents out and replace them with a true Republican.

The debate thread said that not enough of us have shown up around here, so here I am.

You're probably more aligned with the center right libertarian spectrum. I say this because I suspect you think you agree with the Republican economic policy when what you agree with is a fiction. Republicans are the biggest fiscal liberals in American history.

Look at how much the debt increased as a percentage of GDP under Reagan and Bush, and these were periods of economic stability (sans 82 mini recession and 2001 recovery):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/USDebt.png

I give Obama a pass on this because the recession of 2007 was the largest since 1929, and because Republicans stopped Obama from repealing the Bush tax cuts (they held payroll taxes hostage).

coldfoot

Banned
RiccochetJ said:
Hi!

Welcome, let's see your response to this, seeing that you favor Romney's economic policies:

405466_10151348926583154_795775221_n.jpg

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
You're probably more aligned with the center right libertarian spectrum. I say this because I suspect you think you agree with the Republican economic policy when what you agree with is a fiction. Republicans are the biggest fiscal liberals in American history.

Look at how much the debt increased as a percentage of GDP under Reagan and Bush, and these were periods of economic stability (sans 82 mini recession and 2001 recovery):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/USDebt.png

In the other thread, I said this:

I believe that the tax cut will bring more people into the area where they're being taxed. It's bringing more people into the tax system. That goes against Obama's idea that it will add billions to the deficit. I believe he's right if things stay the way they are. However, I don't believe that things will stay the way they are if the tax cuts go through. The biggest idea is to bring more people into the tax bracket instead of raising taxes.

I think the biggest misconception is about how companies file taxes. They don't all file the same. Your small to mid size companies file on a individual level which would make Obama's hike affect them negatively where they would in fact have to lay off people.

I'm not against the voucher system. There is a huge caveat on that part. The government has to move away from trying to run it and instead move to having strict regulations to the point where violating those regulations has an extreme consequences.

I honestly believe that there's a cartel happening here with the insurance companies. First thing I believe is that insurance companies cannot enter the stock market. Make a profit, sure... but they can never be beholden to investors. I think government is better at regulating than running. Instead of the pencil pushing bureaucracy, lets have investigators on the payroll.

Not sure where I fit. I was a republican but when they went bible thumping, they lost me.

Some small part of me hopes Bourdain's upcoming show somehow has a slice of current event wrangling with a bit of sit down on the off chance he can be chatting over a meal with somebody that needs calling out, tell them to fuck themselves or just somehow destroys them, and probably more or less get away with it.

There's no reason CNN had to get as worthless across the board as they've become---hell just inject more of CNN International if nothing else and all would be swell. If they need to copy somebody so desperately, BBC America or Al Jazeera English are certainly better than others. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom