• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit at the democratic party's ground game! I just completed early voting, and it's packed here. The dens bussed in a horde of students from the Obama rally, and there's strobe lights and music everywhere.

Best of all, the dens are passing out leaflets telling who to vote for.

Now WillIAm is coming out to greet all the voters. Crazy.

Wow. Now that is a ground game.

dschalter

AA doesn't discriminate against anyone. It tries to limit the effects of institutional discrimination and it's not only based on race...

Affirmative action is, almost by definition, discrimination. That doesn't mean that it's bad, but if it weren't discriminatory, it wouldn't be anything at all.

thefro

There's no reason CNN had to get as worthless across the board as they've become---hell just inject more of CNN International if nothing else and all would be swell. If they need to copy somebody so desperately, BBC America or Al Jazeera English are certainly better than others. :(

CNN pretty much just went to shit after Turner lost control in 2001.

codhand

Holy shit

s-CNN-WILLIAM-HOLOGRAM-large.jpg

CNN shit? Holo-Will disagrees.

Damn, never knew he was a performer, I always just thought he was an Obama Supporter..

RDreamer

Yay, a conservative.

In the other thread, I said this:

I believe that the tax cut will bring more people into the area where they're being taxed. It's bringing more people into the tax system. That goes against Obama's idea that it will add billions to the deficit. I believe he's right if things stay the way they are. However, I don't believe that things will stay the way they are if the tax cuts go through. The biggest idea is to bring more people into the tax bracket instead of raising taxes.

So you're essentially saying the economy will boom if we just cut more taxes? I think the Bush tax cuts proved this wrong. The problem is that the economy isn't booming because them middle class and lower has nothing. They're not paying a ton in taxes (again, because they have nothing), so a bit of a tax break isn't going to help them a whole helluva lot. Those in the upper rungs of the ladder don't spend as consistently as those on the bottom. They save a lot. If you want stimulus you need money at the bottom, and you do that much better through government spending.

I think the biggest misconception is about how companies file taxes. They don't all file the same. Your small to mid size companies file on a individual level which would make Obama's hike affect them negatively where they would in fact have to lay off people.

I don't think anyone on the left has this misconception. Taxes shouldn't really have a huge effect on laying people off, as demonstrated by Chichikov in another thread:

It doesn't make sense on any economic level.

You pay people with pre-tax money, the only question you need to ask yourself when hiring a person is if that person is going to generate more money than you're paying him, if that person does, you need to hire that person in order to maximize your profits, regardless of the tax rate.

I'm not against the voucher system. There is a huge caveat on that part. The government has to move away from trying to run it and instead move to having strict regulations to the point where violating those regulations has an extreme consequences.

Why exactly does the government have to get away from running Medicare? They have lower administrative costs than private insurance. The government is running it fine.

I honestly believe that there's a cartel happening here with the insurance companies. First thing I believe is that insurance companies cannot enter the stock market. Make a profit, sure... but they can never be beholden to investors. I think government is better at regulating than running. Instead of the pencil pushing bureaucracy, lets have investigators on the payroll.

Kind of odd for a conservative to be arguing for government as a great regulator, but whatever. I can agree with you that a government should be there to regulate the market. I personally think they should step in in cases that the free market absolutely doesn't work, like health care.

LOL

Is anyone watching AC 360?

Lady: "I don't believe any of the polls..the liberal media is in the tank for Obama. There was a poll that said polls were wrong. A poll that said polls were wrong!"

Reporter: "A poll that said polls are wrong?"

Lady: "I DONT BELIEVE IN ANY OF IT!"

Holy shit at the democratic party's ground game! I just completed early voting, and it's packed here. The dens bussed in a horde of students from the Obama rally, and there's strobe lights and music everywhere.

Best of all, the dens are passing out leaflets telling who to vote for.

Did you get one of those leaflets? I'm newly registered in Columbus and have no idea who I should be voting for below the federal House race

Effect

CNN pretty much just went to shit after Turner lost control in 2001.

I remember watching CNN when I was younger before I went to college. It had a completely different feel to it then it does now. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why CNN International was removed from it (used to come on around noon for a two or three hours) because it made the problems with CNN proper all the more obvious. It was so easy to see how inferior CNN was compared to International.

RDreamer

LOL

Is anyone watching AC 360?

Lady: "I don't believe any of the polls..the liberal media is in the tank for Obama. There was a poll that said polls were wrong. A poll that said polls were wrong!"

Reporter: "A poll that said polls are wrong?"

Lady: "I DONT BELIEVE IN ANY OF IT!"

What happens if you unskew the poll that said polls were wrongOHGODMYEYESHAVECROSSED

Puddles

Banned

Seconded.

Yeah, it's unusual for Jackson in that the only word that might send anyone to the dictionary was vicissitudes. "Tempered my certitude" sounds like a pretty pretentious phrase, but unlike with many Jackson phrases, I can't think of a great way to express this one with more basic words while preserving the same meaning. So I'll third this A+ grade.

Edit: You could say, "These are the reasons why I still expect Obama to win," and retain 90% of the meaning while sounding like 100% less of an asshole. Grade is revised to an A-.

gkryhewy

Yes, they absolutely do.

I'm going to have to make a second post because RDreamer has a lot I have to respond to :D

This article might be helpful for you:
http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...are_not_affected_by_obama_tax_proposals_.html

Only pass-through corporations pay taxes at the individual rate, in the sense that their owners, shareholders, etc., have their earnings "passed through" and are taxed as individuals. If an individual owner or shareholder receives more than $250k profit (not income, but profit) in a given year, then they are doing very well and can afford to pay a marginally higher rate on the portion of their profits (not income, but profits) above 250k that year. The bush tax cuts were supposed to be temporary, and are killing the deficit.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
They really need to get rid of the electoral college. I live in california and I feel like my vote is just a symbolic gesture :/ Ohio and Florida get all the love.

saelz8

Heads up - The Choice 2012 is on tonight. 2 Hour Frontline PBS Documentary.

FRONTLINE’s top political reporting team spent the last year probing the core character of each candidate. More than 100 in-depth interviews with friends, family, authors and journalists contribute what Bloomberg Businessweek says “could stand as the most concise, level-headed political biography we’re likely to get this election season.”

I left my phone at home today, so I'm about 14 pages behind. Is everyone still freaking out?

They were, and then PD stopped posting, and now we've got another conservative (who appears to be sane at first glance!) posting in here so for once the thread isn't fixated on who can panic the hardest

RiccochetJ, for the love of God, keep posting

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Yay, a conservative.

Yay me!
So you're essentially saying the economy will boom if we just cut more taxes? I think the Bush tax cuts proved this wrong. The problem is that the economy isn't booming because them middle class and lower has nothing. They're not paying a ton in taxes (again, because they have nothing), so a bit of a tax break isn't going to help them a whole helluva lot. Those in the upper rungs of the ladder don't spend as consistently as those on the bottom. They save a lot. If you want stimulus you need money at the bottom, and you do that much better through government spending.
Not saying that the economy will suddenly boom with more tax cuts. What I'm saying is that companies will have more income to invest in growing if they're so inclined. Growth means that they will be hiring more people. More people means that they will be entering our tax system instead of sitting on the sidelines.

don't think anyone on the left has this misconception. Taxes shouldn't really have a huge effect on laying people off, as demonstrated by Chichikov in another thread:
Chichikov said it perfectly though. The question is if that person can in the long term bring that ROI. There's a huge investment when you hire someone and you better be damned sure that they will do what you think they'll do. It's a huge investment and a huge commitment. Taxes play a significant part in all that.

Why exactly does the government have to get away from running Medicare? They have lower administrative costs than private insurance. The government is running it fine.
They're not and either you haven't run into it yet or you're just being willfully ignorant. Way too many pencil pushers instead of hiring the experts who can do the job properly. I want the gov job to be lucrative not because it's a vacation... I want them to be the best who will fuck you over if you're providing sub par care. And they will know. The money we get from firing all the administrative shit should go towards hiring the best.

Kind of odd for a conservative to be arguing for government as a great regulator, but whatever. I can agree with you that a government should be there to regulate the market. I personally think they should step in in cases that the free market absolutely doesn't work, like health care.
As a conservative, I want my government to properly regulate that I can have the best life I can of my own personal choices . In that, I believe that the government's role is to provide that service instead of having a whole bunch of different offices my application has to go through.

I believe that we have an obligation to make sure that all of our citizens can survive without starving or dying on a street corner. I believe a government has a role in that. I have a distinct problem when people say "Well let the church handle that". Mostly because the people might not be Christian.

My god, I apparently have a lot to say :p

gkryhewy

too many pencil pushers instead of hiring the experts who can do the job properly.

If they have lower administrative costs than private insurance (which is true), then where are the experts you're asking for? Clearly they don't work in private industry, at least not in that field.

Also, see my post above on taxes.

Not saying that the economy will suddenly boom with more tax cuts. What I'm saying is that companies will have more income to invest in growing if they're so inclined. Growth means that they will be hiring more people. More people means that they will be entering our tax system instead of sitting on the sidelines.

A common misconception is that if you lower taxes for corporations, they'll just hire more people, because hey! more money, right? Not really. businesses hire exactly as many employees as they need to meet demand. cutting taxes to business that does not dramatically benefit the middle class (as the bush tax cuts did) doesn't cause business to hire. Hiring remained flat or fell after those cuts took place. In a global economy, business simply sent that cash overseas where they gained the greatest investment on it, paid it to shareholders who did the same thing, or in some cases (Apple was guilty of this) simply sat on it and did nothing.

The global marketplace absolutely destroys the argument that cutting taxes for business has anything to do with hiring. On the flip side, giving more disposable income to the middle and lower class DOES cause them to spend that extra income, not globally but locally, directly stimulating demand and growing the economy where the government has an interest in it growing, instead of in india, china, what have you.

if a company starts hiring people they do not need simply because their income increased due to tax relief, the shareholders would probably sue.

companies exist to make profit, not hire people. employees are only hired when necessary to meet demand. otherwise, shareholders happily pocket the profits and request more tax relief to enrich themselves.

Yay me!

Chichikov said it perfectly though. The question is if that person can in the long term bring that ROI. There's a huge investment when you hire someone and you better be damned sure that they will do what you think they'll do. It's a huge investment and a huge commitment. Taxes play a significant part in all that.

It doesn't play out and this and most exonomi. Theory doesn't conform to his belief. On my phone now but I can post how poorly he bush tAx cuts performed as well other stuff later.

Will give two quick mentions.

First is that two low taxes can hurt investment. Why invest if you keep most of the money?

Second is most businesses invest cuz of demand and will borrow to do it. Borrowing is super cheap right now. No way a tax cut on such small rates will tip from not willing to borrow to willing to borrow to invert. Most small businesses won't get enough of a cut to have any effect on investment among them too

Please excuse phone typing lol

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
A common misconception is that if you lower taxes for corporations, they'll just hire more people, because hey! more money, right? Not really. businesses hire exactly as many employees as they need to meet demand. cutting taxes to business that does not dramatically benefit the middle class (as the bush tax cuts did) doesn't cause business to hire. Hiring remained flat or fell after those cuts took place. In a global economy, business simply sent that cash overseas where they gained the greatest investment on it, paid it to shareholders who did the same thing, or in some cases (Apple was guilty of this) simply sat on it and did nothing.

The global marketplace absolutely destroys the argument that cutting taxes for business has anything to do with hiring. On the flip side, giving more disposable income to the middle and lower class DOES cause them to spend that extra income, not globally but locally, directly stimulating demand and growing the economy where the government has an interest in it growing, instead of in india, china, what have you.

Yes, they'll hire exactly they amount of people they need to expand. Expansion creates more jobs. More jobs creates competition. More competition means that companies pay more to acquire your services. Less taxes means more money in their coffers so that they're willing to invest in a person.

And we are in a global economy now. I'm not refuting that. How do we still make sure that our population isn't worth outsourcing?

We've seen time and again that if you give company a tax break, the top executives just reward themselves with extra money. I don't know why people think corporations are benevolent entities that will do right by the world if you do right by them. They wont. They'll have their cake and eat it too. Right now some mega corporations pay zero taxes, and some of them get tax rebates, and many corporations are sitting on billions of dollars of capital despite tax rates being historically low.

pigeon

Banned
And we are in a global economy now. I'm not refuting that. How do we still make sure that our population isn't worth outsourcing?

By focusing on jobs that aren't easily outsourced -- service industries. This is why America has been transitioning to a service economy, and why providing support to that service industry is so important. Attempting to focus on manufacturing is bad for them -- it actually raises the price of goods for the American consumer.

RDreamer

"If they're so inclined" is the interesting line there. Realistically, though, a company will grow if there's an opportunity for it to make more money. I.e. if demand is high, they will grow. So, if their store is full of customers for weeks on end and they don't have enough people on the counter to help them, they'll grow. That's pretty much the simple example, but I don't think it's that inherently different in more complex situations.

Taxes do play a significant part, but I'm still unconvinced. Companies don't usually gamble with their money. I'm really not sure where this risk think is coming from. Most companies, especially small businesses don't hire someone and hope they'll get profits off it. They hire someone because they know they have a job to do. They know they have enough demands to make that hire. They try to max out the work and max out the dollars they already have, and as a last resort they'll hire.

In fact, you could also make a reverse argument to yours. If the government is going to take a large portion of your profits you have two options: You can reinvest in innovative ideas in order to try and make more money in the long run, or you can forfeit that money to the government.

Also, you have to think about business in this sense: hiring is a last resort option. Paying money to do anything is a last resort option. Companies don't want to spend money. They will do everything they can to not hire. With this in mind, having extra money in their pockets will not make them hire. Only increased demand for their product or service will.

They're not and either you haven't run into it yet or you're just being willfully ignorant. Way too many pencil pushers instead of hiring the experts who can do the job properly. I want the gov job to be lucrative not because it's a vacation... I want them to be the best who will fuck you over if you're providing sub par care. And they will know. The money we get from firing all the administrative shit should go towards hiring the best.

Administrative costs for medicare is pretty low. Now, I realize there's an argument that expressing it as a percentage of benefit makes it very very low because elderly need a helluva lot more benefits. That's fine. Still, the administrative costs on medicare are just fine.

I believe that we have an obligation to make sure that all of our citizens can survive without starving or dying on a street corner. I believe a government has a role in that. I have a distinct problem when people say "Well let the church handle that". Mostly because the people might now be Christian.

So, do you believe in a single payer system of healthcare, or is something like Obamacare closer to what you'd like?

DasRaven

Yes, they'll hire exactly they amount of people they need to expand. Expansion creates more jobs. More jobs creates competition. More competition means that companies pay more to acquire your services. Less taxes means more money in their coffers so that they're willing to invest in a person.

The problem is that right now, they don't need to expand. They have record amounts of money on the sidelines, earning meager interest, because demand is down. If demand improved, they'd happily forgo meager interest AND the potential additional tax burden to expand. Cutting their potential tax burden, even to zero, would not move them to expand without demand. The same can largely be said for upper income earners. They don't buy enough to make up for many that can't.

The proven best ways to recover demand are unemployment benefits, because broke people spend all their money and save little, and infrastructure spending, because their construction employs people directly, and after they're built roads/bridges/etc make existing commerce easier/safer and invite new commerce.

Except this is the exact OPPOSITE of what happened after the bush tax cuts were enacted. Taxes were cut drastically, mostly for the wealthy and corporations. There was no expansion. there was no hiring. There were no jobs. The only gains in the economy came on the back of massive financial fraud that funded the real estate bubble.

Expansion only occurs when demand increases, not when business has excess cash. Again, when business found themselves with a surplus of cash in this very recession it was parked in accounts and nothing was done with it. They didn't hire with it, and didn't invest with it. And that's not counting the billions that are currently parked overseas in an attempt to avoid taxes, hoping for another tax forgiveness holiday. Take a minute, google what promises were made and what actually happened the LAST time business asked for and was given a tax holiday on overseas cash. The promises were that it would stimulate hiring, as conservatives are fond of saying, and instead that money was paid out as bonuses and dividends, and those companies LAID OFF staff.

That theory no longer holds water. history has proven it false many times over.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
We've seen time and again that if you give company a tax break, the top executives just reward themselves with extra money. I don't know why people think corporations are benevolent entities that will do right by the world if you do right by them. They wont. They'll have their cake and eat it too. Right now some mega corporations pay zero taxes, and some of them get tax rebates, and many corporations are sitting on billions of dollars of capital despite tax rates being historically low.

It's a common theme to go after the multi billion dollar companies which I also have an issue with. I'm arguing for the smaller companies that the tax cut would help.

And I'm getting a lot of responses again. Let me digest them and I'll respond soon.

Where are the Romney flip-flop ads? There's only 4 weeks left and he's flip-flopped on everything that you could make 30 ads with different flops yet I don't think I've seen one.

Al-ibn Kermit

I just want to say I love how the last week has made this thread go from back-patting to shoulder-rubbing.

And at this point, Diablos's pessimism is just sickeningly adorable.

DasRaven

It's a common theme to go after the multi billion dollar companies which I also have an issue with. I'm arguing for the smaller companies that the tax cut would help.

And I'm getting a lot of responses again. Let me digest them and I'll respond soon.

You're going to get a lot of responses here, we want to engage you and see if you understand the data behind what you say you believe.
Please don't be put off by our eagerness, we need more of you guys. Preaching to the choir gets really old.

You're going to get a lot of responses here, we want to engage you and see if you understand the data behind what you say you believe. Please don't be put off by our eagerness, we need more of you guys. Preaching to the choir gets really old.

True. I can get agressive, but I aint yellin atcha

RDreamer

Have you worked for or been a part of a small company? This is almost especially not true with them. They'll work people to the bone until demand forces them to hire someone. They hire and expand to what they need. More tax cuts aren't going to get them to hire if they don't need to already.

Also, this 65 year study found tax cuts don't lead to economic growth

I believe that the tax cut will bring more people into the area where they're being taxed. It's bringing more people into the tax system. That goes against Obama's idea that it will add billions to the deficit. I believe he's right if things stay the way they are. However, I don't believe that things will stay the way they are if the tax cuts go through. The biggest idea is to bring more people into the tax bracket instead of raising taxes.

I think the biggest misconception is about how companies file taxes. They don't all file the same. Your small to mid size companies file on a individual level which would make Obama's hike affect them negatively where they would in fact have to lay off people.

I'm not against the voucher system. There is a huge caveat on that part. The government has to move away from trying to run it and instead move to having strict regulations to the point where violating those regulations has an extreme consequences.

I honestly believe that there's a cartel happening here with the insurance companies. First thing I believe is that insurance companies cannot enter the stock market. Make a profit, sure... but they can never be beholden to investors. I think government is better at regulating than running. Instead of the pencil pushing bureaucracy, lets have investigators on the payroll.

Have you ever given any serious thought to these stances? Think about your objection to Medicare, for example. All this program is is an insurance program. Meaning, a health care provider sends a bill, and the insurer pays it if it is covered. You say that you do not want the government "running it" but are okay with "strict regulations" with "extreme consequences" on private insurers. Why? It amounts to the same thing, except your version has a lot more waste and inefficiency. If the government is making the rules anyway ("strict regulations" with "extreme consequences"), why not just have the government administer it? What is it about government that makes you think it should set the rules but is incapable of administering the rules? The post office seems to deliver mail pretty well.

...why not just have the government administer it? What is it about government that makes you think it should set the rules but is incapable of administering the rules? The post office seems to deliver mail pretty well.

You should probably clarify why exactly the post office is losing money hand over fist despite it's efficiency before using it as a talking point.

Not that most of us don't know, but it might be helpful.

GhaleonEB

Where are the Romney flip-flop ads? There's only 4 weeks left and he's flip-flopped on everything that you could make 30 ads with different flops yet I don't think I've seen one.

I read about Obama's strategy on this front as the GOP primaries concluded. His team found it was more effective to make Romeny own the positions he took during the primaries than to contrast them with positions he's held in the past. Calling out his past positions just reminded people he was once a moderate; they wanted to define him as an extremist.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
"If they're so inclined" is the interesting line there. Realistically, though, a company will grow if there's an opportunity for it to make more money. I.e. if demand is high, they will grow. So, if their store is full of customers for weeks on end and they don't have enough people on the counter to help them, they'll grow. That's pretty much the simple example, but I don't think it's that inherently different in more complex situations.
Some companies are happy where they are. It's a huge reason why some don't go public. It's a investment to hire on someone full time. And in that as the owner you have to have the expectation that this trend will continue. Otherwise you're spending money and keeping someone on payroll needlessly. Sucks but that's the truth.

Taxes do play a significant part, but I'm still unconvinced. Companies don't usually gamble with their money. I'm really not sure where this risk think is coming from. Most companies, especially small businesses don't hire someone and hope they'll get profits off it. They hire someone because they know they have a job to do. They know they have enough demands to make that hire. They try to max out the work and max out the dollars they already have, and as a last resort they'll hire.
And here's our focal point of our debate! I believe that tax cuts will embolden companies to grow. More money to burn will mean that they can invest in growth. You think it's stagnant. I think you're correct in some instances.

In fact, you could also make a reverse argument to yours. If the government is going to take a large portion of your profits you have two options: You can reinvest in innovative ideas in order to try and make more money in the long run, or you can forfeit that money to the government.

Also, you have to think about business in this sense: hiring is a last resort option. Paying money to do anything is a last resort option. Companies don't want to spend money. They will do everything they can to not hire. With this in mind, having extra money in their pockets will not make them hire. Only increased demand for their product or service will.
In this stance we have a fundamental disagreement. Companies will hire if the need is there. Sure push your employees, but there's a limit before a mass quitting.

QUOTE=RDreamer;43035865]Administrative costs for medicare is pretty low. Now, I realize there's an argument that expressing it as a percentage of benefit makes it very very low because elderly need a helluva lot more benefits. That's fine. Still, the administrative costs on medicare are just fine.

And I think that gov oversight could be better. My brother has had to tell people that he can't treat them anymore because their medicare has run out. Why is this happening?

So, do you believe in a single payer system of healthcare, or is something like Obamacare closer to what you'd like?[/QUOTE]

Informed, civil, and thoughtful disagreement is very, very welcome.

Just remember that he is one man. Perhaps we could focus on one topic at a time and, when that is exhausted, switch to a new one?

Have you worked for or been a part of a small company? This is almost especially not true with them. They'll work people to the bone until demand forces them to hire someone. They hire and expand to what they need. More tax cuts aren't going to get them to hire if they don't need to already.

Also, this 65 year study found tax cuts don't lead to economic growth

That is the really depressing thing . . . . science and objective evidence just don't matter any more on the right.
Evolution? More like Evilution! Teach the controversy!
Climate change? It's a hoax! Rush told me so! Inhofe says that god wouldn't do that to us.
Gays exist naturally? No, they are not praying hard enough! They are making an ungodly 'lifestyle choice'!

I'd like to believe such a study would have an effect on politics. But at this point, facts & evidence don't matter. Politics has become religion . . . it is a matter of blind-faith.

When I think about it, we should thank our lucky-stars that there actually was a backlash against Akin with his nutty magical rape contraception system statement. The doctor that provided that great scientific knowledge to Akin was a surrogate for the Romney campaign in 2008! Huckabee still stands behind Akin and that nuttiness!

I think they had to decide whether to paint Mitt Romney as a right-winger or paint Romney as a flip-flopper and they chose the former. Otherwise, you are pushing an inconsistent message. Perhaps they'll switch to the latter strategy but for now they are sticking with the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom