• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

So, polling good for Obama today so far. Couple more days of this and hopefully some of you calm down

Definitely encouraging so far, but I still say we should wait till the weekend for a clearer picture on the daily trackers. And for national polls & swing state polling, anything that was polled this current week rather than the direct post-debate period.

Definitely encouraging so far, but I still say we should wait till the weekend for a clearer picture on the daily trackers. And for national polls & swing state polling, anything that was polled this current week rather than the direct post-debate period.
Oh I still agree. Just hope the chicken little is quelled a bit.

Ann Romney talked dancing horses and dancing stars, but not politics, this morning as the wife of GOP nominee Mitt Romney co-hosted "Good Morning America."

Long-called her husband's "secret weapon" for her ability to humanize the often stiff seeming candidate, Romney has become an increasingly popular figure this campaign season. A recent ABC News/ Washington Post poll found her favorability rating jumping 12 points between April and October, making her almost as popular as first lady Michelle Obama.
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...welsh-cakes-132603792--abc-news-politics.html

Did the Romney campaign really think putting their elitist dancing horse tax-shelter on GMA was a good idea? That doesn't strike me as a wise decision but what do I know.

The ue dropping to 7.3 would be insane and I don't its possible. If jobs are gaining that fast then lot of people out of he labor force should be coming back in pushing it up.

That said a half percent dip is gigantic. I would bet lots of money it does not come close or move more than .1

Cheebo

Banned
Gallup's UE poll is junk. A half a point in a regular poll is barely recognized statistical noise, a half point in UE is giant. That is why it takes a big govt. organization who specializes in it to track it. Gallup is just a regular pollster. Their UE number always bounces all over the place. I find it really weird they even poll that honestly.

They have some odd daily trackers, they track happiness.

Guevara

She looked first-ladylike to them. Some people think that's what a first lady should be, a fancy white lady with expensive hobbies.

Those people are out of touch with the majority of Americans.

What women should be, act, and look like, according to the GOP:

betty%20draper.jpg

Effect

Take the wine glass away since women are not supposed to drink alcohol because
they are the caretakers of the family and shouldn't be under the influence of anything that could jeopardize their role. Otherwise spot on.

Isn't she also showing to much arm as well?

SmokeMaxX

If Hillary succeeds Obama that will only enrich both of their legacies by intertwining them. American Presidential politics from 1989-2024 will be remembered and probably taught as one cohesive narrative.
I don't think so. Obama's on a good path, but if he doesn't pump up this economy before 2016, Hillary is going to get credit for the economic boost. The number one most important thing is having a strong economy (which is done through a foundation of education and manufacturing. Sure he'll get mentioned alongside Hillary, but more-so as an afterthought. I guarantee you the general population won't remember him as well as they'll remember Bill and potentially Hillary (partially by virtue of having Bill).

Obama's done a lot, but people will ask "was it enough?" Yeah you could argue "oh well what did Bill do?" Well, he didn't really have to do anything. His main focus was boost the economy by investing in American jobs/education (this was the theme of the '92 debates). Whether or not the economy was due to him (or the .com bubble) doesn't really matter. He did what he said he was going to do. Obama also had this responsibility of boosting the economy. Our economy was hit hard and I don't blame him for what he's done, because he's had to deal with a lot of Republican opposition blocking everything, but in the end he's going to be judged by results. It's great that he's now under 8.0% unemployment, but that's not what people want to see- even if it's not fair to the President.
That's great but what great Democratic reforms/ideals did Clinton accomplish with all his political power? That is how I judge presidents besides the economy, judicial appointments and national security. What on their agenda did they accomplish?
Well those three things were pretty good under Clinton. I remember- while Clinton was President- reading in my Scholastic Weekly school newsletter about the dangers of a guy named Osama Bin Laden. A few years later? 9/11. Then Republicans have the nerve to say the Clinton administration didn't do enough to stop him.

Clinton's political power has shown its effects in other places, most significantly by creating the New Democrat movement. (I'm no expert on this sort of thing, so I'll just copy and paste the New Democrat wikipedia page)
Bill Clinton as a New Democrat

Bill Clinton was the single Democratic politician of the 1990s most identified with the New Democrats; his promise of welfare reform in the 1992 presidential campaign, and its subsequent enactment, epitomized the New Democrat position, as did his 1992 promise of a middle-class tax cut and his 1993 expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit for the working poor.[4] New Democrat and Third Way successes under Clinton, and the writings of Anthony Giddens, are often regarded to have inspired Tony Blair in the United Kingdom and his policies.[13]

New Democrats were more open to deregulation than the previous Democratic leadership had been. This was especially evident in the large scale deregulation of agriculture and the telecommunications industries. The New Democrats and allies on the DLC were responsible for the ratification of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

An important part of New Democrat ideas is focused on improving the economy. During the administration of Bill Clinton, New Democrats were responsible for passing the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993. It raised taxes on the wealthiest 1.2% of taxpayers,[14] while cutting taxes on 15 million low-income families and making tax cuts available to 90% of small businesses.[15] Additionally, it mandated that the budget be balanced over a number of years, through the implementation of spending restraints. This helped oversee the longest peace-time economic expansion in the United States' history.[16] Overall, the top marginal tax rate was raised from 31% to 40% under the Clinton administration.

Also Clinton is a walking Colbert Bump. You ask Clinton to show up to one of your events and you get all demographics to show up AND you convert a lot of people over. You'll notice not even Fox News can talk trash about Bill.
You're asking if the first African American President whoose made significant social changes and a record that has the potential to be incredible if he'll stand the test of time?

lol.
Yeah. Nobody wants Obama to be remembered as the "first African-American President." That's insulting. People want Obama to stand on his own merits. Sure DODT is gone. Sure gay marriage is getting closer. But I don't think either of those things will be remembered in the future. Obama's done some great things, but how great are those things in the context of American history? They're important to a lot of younger, more liberal voters because we care about our gay friends. We care about everyone being able to afford healthcare. We'll see what will define him by the end of his Presidency though. I like Obama. I cared enough to stand in line 3 hours to vote for him even though he has literally a zero percent chance of winning my state. And I'll do it again this year. But he gets constantly overstated on here. People were saying he'd completely knock it out of the ballpark at the DNC while I knew Clinton would overshadow him. People were saying he'd completely demolish Romney at the first debate- some even saying that Obama is one of the greatest debaters of all time. Let's be real. Obama is a good President that we're passionate about. That doesn't mean that we have to be unrealistic in our expectations of him.

FLEABttn

Banned
Man, if Texas ever goes blue...I don't know how you get past that. That seems insurmountable, you'd have to get basically the entire midwest solid red

It changes the dynamics of the game and Republican party will be forced to realign. There is no realistic midwest winning strategy. They still think they can win under their current strategy and voter ID laws (if they even pass) but if the GOP loses Texas, they lose period. But where they realign to would just hand-waving on my part. It'll have to be something with a wider appeal than old, angry, white males who want welfare for themselves and not for "the others".

Cloudy

Banned
Also Clinton is a walking Colbert Bump. You ask Clinton to show up to one of your events and you get all demographics to show up AND you convert a lot of people over. You'll notice not even Fox News can talk trash about Bill.

People were saying he'd completely knock it out of the ballpark at the DNC while I knew Clinton would overshadow him. People were saying he'd completely demolish Romney at the first debate- some even saying that Obama is one of the greatest debaters of all time. Let's be real. Obama is a good President that we're passionate about. That doesn't mean that we have to be unrealistic in our expectations of him.

Clinton's current popularity and "can do no wrong" status is because he's the President we had the last time the economy was thriving with no foreign wars. He was just as hated as Obama by the right and he had several scandals (unlike Obama) which the media destroyed him for. No one talks about that anymore because he's a good guy and former presidents are afforded a certain level of deference. It's easy to have great popularity with everyone when you're an ex-president because no one is blaming you for their current problems and the media's not criticizing everything you say.

SmokeMaxX

To be clear, when I refer to Bill as a game-changer, I'm referring to the demographics that he can reach and the enthusiasm that he can cause. Obama's "Hope and Change" message was powerful when he was running for his first term, but it has dimmed down mostly because of results. Clinton can fall back on his record (regardless of whether it was due to his economic policies) while Obama currently can't (even though most liberals and economists would say that he did as well as could've been hoped for).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm not pulling a Diablos here but on the other hand one's gotta wonder who all these people are who watched that debate and went, " Well by GAWD, Romney's right!".

People who want to be told who to vote for.

It's not like there's bee na campaign going on for the last 2 years

SmokeMaxX

Clinton's current popularity and "can do no wrong" status is because he's the President we had the last time the economy was thriving with no foreign wars. He was just as hated as Obama by the right and he had several scandals which the media destroyed him for. No one talks about that anymore because he was a good guy and former presidents are afforded a certain level of deference. It's easy to have great popularity with everyone when you're an ex-president because no one is blaming you for their current problems...
He was not just as hated by the Right. Ninety percent of the people I talk to everyday is a heavily Conservative Republican (mostly socially rather than fiscally) and most love Clinton. I watch Fox News occasionally just to see what those guys have to say and most are afraid to talk trash about Clinton. Not because he's a former President, but because they know how much influence he has. Think liberals don't talk trash about George W Bush? They do. If you're willing to give Fox News more credit than that, I don't know what to say. And George W definitely does not have "great popularity" even among the Right. There's a reason he wasn't invited to the RNC.

Cloudy

Banned
He was not just as hated by the Right. Ninety percent of the people I talk to everyday is a heavily Conservative Republican (mostly socially rather than fiscally) and most love Clinton.

They love him now. Obviously him being white and from the South helps but the same Fox personalities praising him and attacking Obama were attacking Clinton back then.

Also, cynics would say Clinton's economy was so good because of the dot-com bubble. I don't think that's the whole story because his tax policies were certainly better than Bush's. However, Clinton (urged by a Republican congress) is responsible for a lot of the deregulation that led to our current problems..

SmokeMaxX

They love him now. Obviously him being white and from the South helps but the same Fox personalities praising him and attacking Obama were attacking Clinton back then.

Also, cynics would say Clinton's economy was so good because of the dot-com bubble. I don't think that's the whole story because his tax policies were certainly better than Bush's. However, Clinton (urged by a Republican congress) is responsible for a lot of the deregulation that led to our current problems..

Oh, I agree that they hated Bill back then. But that's their job. I don't think they'll suddenly love Obama when he leaves office. I don't think they'll give him any praise.

Clinton's economy probably could've been better (in regards to deregulations), but probably most importantly it gave people a very positive perception of the Democratic party.

Atlagev

He was not just as hated by the Right. Ninety percent of the people I talk to everyday is a heavily Conservative Republican (mostly socially rather than fiscally) and most love Clinton. I watch Fox News occasionally just to see what those guys have to say and most are afraid to talk trash about Clinton. Not because he's a former President, but because they know how much influence he has. Think liberals don't talk trash about George W Bush? They do. If you're willing to give Fox News more credit than that, I don't know what to say. And George W definitely does not have "great popularity" even among the Right. There's a reason he wasn't invited to the RNC.

He was definitely hated by the right when he was in office. They claimed he killed Vince Foster. The Whitewater investigation is the whole reason the Monica Lewinsky thing even came up in the first place. The Militia Movement came to rise when he was in power, largely because of Waco and Ruby Ridge.

Actually, I think Obama has had it easy compared to some of the stuff Bill had to deal with.

Even the reporter's twitter feeds are filled with more Romney-Ryan stories. Probably because Obama campaign doesn't offer any OTR talk, another mistake when trying to push Romney's lies.

Cloudy

Banned
Gallup changing their methodology

http://pollingmatters.gallup.com/2012/10/survey-methods-complex-and-ever-evolving.html

One focus point over the past decade (for all of us in the survey profession) has been the need to stay consistent with changes in the communication behavior and habits of those we are interviewing. As noted, Gallup switched primarily to telephone interviewing a few decades ago based on the increased penetration of phones in American households and the increased costs of going into Americans’ homes for in-person interviewing. Now we know, based on government statistics (and what we observe around us), that Americans are shifting rapidly from reliance on landline phones to mobile devices. We first began to add cell phones to our samples in January 2008 and have been increasing the proportionate representation of cell phones in our samples on a periodic basis from that point forward. That’s based on the knowledge that there are more households with cell phones than landlines today in the U.S., or conversely, more households without landlines than without cell phones. We get updated estimates of telephone use from the U.S. government.

For our final month of political surveys before the Nov. 6 election, we are now conducting a separate daily tracking program consisting of interviews with a random sample of 500 U.S. adults each night. This provides us a survey vehicle focused just on the election and other political measures, particularly important in the current situation, in which we need to include a list of likely voter questions along with other political and election questions.

As we began this election tracking program on Oct.1, our methodologists also recommended modifying and updating several procedures. We increased the proportion of cell phones in our tracking to 50%, meaning that we now complete interviews with 50% cell phones and 50% landlines each night. This marks a shift from our Gallup Daily tracking, which has previously been 40% cell phones. This means that our weights to various phone targets in the sample can be smaller, given that the actual percentage of cell phones and cell-phone-only respondents in the sample is higher. We have instituted some slight changes in our weighting procedures, including a weight for the density of the population area in which the respondent lives. Although all Gallup surveys are weighted consistently to census targets on demographic parameters, we believe that these improvements provide a more consistent match with weight targets. The complete statement of survey methods is included at the end of each article we publish at Gallup.com.

Clinton's economy probably could've been better (in regards to deregulations), but probably most importantly it gave people a very positive perception of the Democratic party.

Falsely, unfortunately, because it made people believe that government surpluses were good, when in fact Clinton was draining the economy of financial assets and putting the private sector in a lot of debt (much to the pleasure of the financial industry--if you ever wondered why that industry likes the government to be in surplus, it's because it forces people to borrow and shifts bargaining power to finance), setting the table for the financial crisis that would eventually strike.

So what 11% undecided?

Doesn't say but it's online so put as much salt in it as you'd like

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican Mitt Romney has pulled ahead of U.S. President Barack Obama for the first time in more than a month and leads 45 percent to 44 percent among likely voters, according to a Reuters/Ipsos tracking poll released on Wednesday.

With under four weeks until the November 6 election, Obama's post-convention bounce in polls has now disappeared. Voters warmed to Romney across a range of policy issues following a strong debate performance by the Republican last week.

On Tuesday, the tracking poll had the two candidates tied at 45 percent.

The online survey of 1,027 likely voters was conducted between October 6 and Oct 10. The precision of the poll is measured using a credibility interval, which is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for likely voters.

(Reporting by Deborah Charles; Editing by Alistair Bell and Sandra Maler)
(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Check for restrictions at: http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp

Amir0x

Banned
Umm...Not sure where the winning decidedly comes from. We need more OH, IA and WI polls. Even Nate will tell you that if the margin of victory in the popular vote is +2% the user will win EC too.

you're like a worse Diablos for chicken littling now, 'cause you just find any negative news you can and then blow it up for pages and remove any context. Don't you know this is not how politics works? Let's say Romney tied right now in Ohio, Obama would still be at advantage for his head start in early voting. But polling out of Ohio shows Obama with the same point or one less, just with Romney solidifying his own support. He's going to net it.

At least with PhoenixDark we know he's trolling, you're just being sort of Andrew Sullivan-esque but without even his tenuous grasp of reality.

Obama's gonna win, Cartoon, unless Biden blows the next debate and Obama blows the next two and on top of that Obama fucks a white chick. Relaaaax.

thekad

Banned
^It is funny hearing "we need more polls" coming from the same person who takes every one poll as gospel (if it's negative).

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm guessing you're against single payer health care? Why exactly? You sound like a reasonable (Eisenhower) Republican, at least you've recognized the party is no longer what it used to be.

I'm not against the idea of a single payer system. The problem I have is I see a huge bureaucracy opening up around it and being extremely inefficient with more people pushing papers than actually providing healthcare.

Alternatively, I think the government should focus on strict oversight and allow the market to compete while stomping down any idea of cartels or monopolies. Also I don't think that insurance companies etc shouldn't be allowed into the stock market. I have a problem when they become beholden to shareholders.

If that doesn't work, then I think we should ultimately move to a single payer system.

I'm not against the idea of a single payer system. The problem I have is I see a huge bureaucracy opening up around it and being extremely inefficient with more people pushing papers than actually providing healthcare.

Well, but all an insurer does is push paper. That's literally the task at hand, which is why it is ideal for government to do it all, rather than have a bunch of middle men pushing paper in private sector under strict government regulation, except less efficiently, because the capacity to streamline both on the insurer side and the health care provider side is entirely lost. (In other words, when you split up the insurance payment processing system into a bunch of different entities, each with their own forms and methods of processing, you force doctors offices to have to deal with each and every slight variation in the way these insurers individually require. It's wasteful, costly, and, quite frankly, obnoxious.)

In case you were thinking otherwise, a single payer health care system does not mean the government is the entity providing the care. It's just the entity that processes payments to those who provide the care on behalf of the insured.

Reuters-Ipsos tracking poll has Romney 45, Obama 44 among likely voters

11% undecided, sheesh.

I think the key here is Obama losing numbers, Romney not really gaining. He's not causing people to switch their vote.

As long as this trend continues, the Obama voters will simply come home.

Do other polling companies use cell phones? I doubt the robo calls use cell phones.

Ras is one of the few that doesn't.

Almost all the pollsters use cell phones to some extent, these days. Also, Obama does better with cell phones since cell phone exclusive users tend to be democrats, obviously.

Still, there are some polls that don't use it. Silver showed some of them, IIRC.

Zabka

Sounds exactly like an insurance company. The only difference is that an insurance company profits when they deny you coverage.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Well, but all an insurer does is push paper. That's literally the task at hand, which is why it is ideal for government to do it all, rather than have a bunch of middle men pushing paper in private sector under strict government regulation, except less efficiently, because the capacity to streamline both on the insurer side and the health care provider side is entirely lost. (In other words, when you split up the insurance payment processing system into a bunch of different entities, each with their own forms and methods of processing, you force doctors offices to have to deal with each and every slight variation in the way these insurers individually require. It's wasteful, costly, and, quite frankly, obnoxious.)

In case you were thinking otherwise, a single payer health care system does not mean the government is the entity providing the care. It's just the entity that processes payments to those who provide the care on behalf of the insured.

Hmmm, good point.

I still have this idea that having true competition will ultimately result in a better system, but you made it really hard to hold on to :p

Sounds exactly like an insurance company. The only difference is that an insurance company profits when they deny you coverage.
And I want the government to have strict regulations so that they can't do that type of thing. Severe fines or ultimately the gov can have the ability to shut them down.

Magni

edit: public healthcare doesn't mean there won't be any private healthcare for those who want it on top of the basic free universal healthcare. It just means everyone has access to it, regardless of their preexisting conditions/social status.

Alternatively, I think the government should focus on strict oversight and allow the market to compete while stomping down any idea of cartels or monopolies. Also I don't think that insurance companies etc shouldn't be allowed into the stock market. I have a problem when they become beholden to shareholders.

If that doesn't work, then I think we should ultimately move to a single payer system.

What do you think about the efficiency of European systems? Germany has had universal healthcare for as far back as 1883 IIRC. There hasn't really been any problems.

Hmmm, good point.

I still have this idea that having true competition will ultimately result in a better system, but you made it really hard to hold on to :p

Streamlined administration of claims and payments is one of the, although certainly not the only, reasons why single payer systems cost less per capita.

Zzoram

Falsely, unfortunately, because it made people believe that government surpluses were good, when in fact Clinton was draining the economy of financial assets and putting the private sector in a lot of debt (much to the pleasure of the financial industry--if you ever wondered why that industry likes the government to be in surplus, it's because it forces people to borrow and shifts bargaining power to finance), setting the table for the financial crisis that would eventually strike.

But if you never have a surplus you can never pay down debt. How are governments supposed to ever reduce debt load without a surplus?

markatisu

you're like a worse Diablos for chicken littling now, 'cause you just find any negative news you can and then blow it up for pages and remove any context. Don't you know this is not how politics works? Let's say Romney tied right now in Ohio, Obama would still be at advantage for his head start in early voting. But polling out of Ohio shows Obama with the same point or one less, just with Romney solidifying his own support. He's going to net it.

At least with PhoenixDark we know he's trolling, you're just being sort of Andrew Sullivan-esque but without even his tenuous grasp of reality.

Obama's gonna win, Cartoon, unless Biden blows the next debate and Obama blows the next two and on top of that Obama fucks a white chick. Relaaaax.

OMG greatest post I think I have ever read in a poligaf thread

tumblr_m39d6xKWqU1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom