• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON -- A pro-life, family-values congressman who worked as a doctor before winning election as a Tea Party-backed Republican had an affair with a patient and later pressured her to get an abortion, according to a phone call transcript obtained by The Huffington Post.

The congressman, Rep. Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee, was trying to save his marriage at the time, according to his remarks on the call, made in September of 2000. And, according to three independent sources familiar with the call and the recording, he made the tape himself.

DesJarlais, who was provided a copy of the transcript by HuffPost, did not deny its contents, but in a statement released through his campaign characterized it as just another sordid detail dredged up by the opposition. "Desperate personal attacks do not solve our nation's problems, yet it appears my opponents are choosing to once again engage in the same gutter politics that CBS news called the dirtiest in the nation just 2 years ago."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/scott-desjarlais-abortion-pro-life_n_1953136.html

Also, if he's not trained enough for multiple scenario's, he might fall once again for a trap set by Romney's team. Perhaps we'll see a more agressive Obama, and Mittens will counter by being suuuuper sweet, personable and warm hearted, once again taking the upper hand appearance wise in the debate. Obama better be ready for all possible Mittens incarnations.
Romney is such a final boss from an RPG.

Zzoram

I think in Canada wait times vary dramatically depending on the type of service you need due to varying levels of capacity to perform different services. Even in the US it can take a long time to get some services unless you are rich.

The peace of mind of knowing that no matter what random health problem hits you, you will eventually get care and not be bankrupted is a huge load off the mind.

I don't get this whole enthusiasm gap that Obama is alleged to be behind in. Doesn't this counter-act that idea?
I'm not sure how that works either. In another state (Virginia?) though the numbers were reversed. Romney got a much bigger part of the early votes than Obama.

Edit: and posting for the new page:

I'm telling it now. Poligaf and many others are vastly overestimating Obama's "come back performance" in the next debates. He's never been a great debater, and can just hold his own in appearance. He won't trounce Mittens.

Because of this, the narrative afterwards will once again be negative (or mixed) for Obama.

Also, if he's not trained enough for multiple scenario's, he might fall once again for a trap set by Romney's team. Perhaps we'll see a more agressive Obama, and Mittens will counter by being suuuuper sweet, personable and warm hearted, once again taking the upper hand appearance wise in the debate. Obama better be ready for all possible Mittens incarnations.​

Loudninja

PPP Montana

Obama 42
Mitt Romney 52
The good news for Democrats is that even as Obama's standing has deteriorated in the last month, Jon Tester's has remained unchanged. Last month we found him leading Denny Rehberg 45-43 with Libertarian Dan Cox at 8% and this month we find the exact same numbers for all three candidates. Tester leads thanks to a 45-36 lead with independents and because he's taking 88% of the Democratic vote while only 78% of Republicans stand behind Rehberg.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2012/10/romney-gains-in-montana-tester-up-2.html

Amir0x

Banned
I see your point, but it's different in this case. The person you're talking about in Washington was martyr for his cause. He died trying to change something, and naturally became the poster child for the movement. This person (killed in Benghazi) was a victim of a terrorist attack. Even if he did say something like that, why use it for campaigns to throw around in their dirty ads? Which by the way I kinda doubt if he said that. Really? "Get me a new President?" I mean, the President was instrumental in achieving consensus and victory in Libya. Why would he hate his boss for that? We all know Amb. Stevens absolutely loved Libya and it's culture/history. But anyways, some people are walking bags of contradictions and hypocrisy. Who knows what he said.

Edit: oops, confused the genders.

I mean, all I'm saying is we don't know the lady and thus have no reason to doubt her. And if she's telling the truth, then I feel uncomfortable calling her "sleazy" at the very least. Because I tell you, if my fiancee told me something as a last wish, even if I disagreed with it... I might just go as far out of my way as possible to make it happen. And I'm an atheist so I know she wouldn't even know I fulfilled her wish!

A lot of your post is just assumptions about how people think, when they're rational like you or I. But you know, some people aren't rational at all. When I was at the hospital yesterday getting an abscess popped (developed after my horrific near fatal car crash on Thursday), the nurse saw me watching CNN and he went on about 'communist news network' and how Obama changed the first amendment so you can't criticize the president anymore and that's why you never see the news criticize him. When I mentioned I don't believe that's true and that I've been watching the news media critcize Obama all week for Libya, he said "yeah, but they can't really criticize him." What does that even mean? It's inherently irrational bullshit from people.

Sometimes a persons last wish is political. Even if I disagree with that political point of view, I feel death wishes are really personal things and people often have to go through the process of fulfilling those wishes just to absolve themselves of guilt they might feel or of obligations they might think will make their dead loved one think fondly on them once completed. It's a funny thing, death, ya know? Basically, i just don't think she's sleazy if she's telling the truth :p

Forever

Banned
I've been thinking about the composition of the Democratic base. You have African Americans and increasingly Hispanics, who were largely religious and socially conservative. Then you have the women's movement and the gay rights movement. Throw some unions and young people on top of that and I think we have the major bases covered.

Not all of these groups seem like natural allies, but the one thing that kept them united (and which continues to draw them closer together) is the fact that they're all hated by the right. The successful Democratic Presidents of our time have been the ones that can excite and unify all factions of the party with common purpose.

Obama has done that, I think, to a greater degree than even Clinton did. The Democratic Party loves this President, and that strong core support is perhaps the biggest advantage he has.

Kinvara

I'm telling it now. Poligaf and many others are vastly overestimating Obama's "come back performance" in the next debates. He's never been a great debater, and can just hold his own in appearance. He won't trounce Mittens.

Because of this, the narrative afterwards will once again be negative (or mixed) for Obama.

Also, if he's not trained enough for multiple scenario's, he might fall once again for a trap set by Romney's team. Perhaps we'll see a more agressive Obama, and Mittens will counter by being suuuuper sweet, personable and warm hearted, once again taking the upper hand appearance wise in the debate. Obama better be ready for all possible Mittens incarnations.

So Mitt Romney is some kind of mystical shape-shifter?

I've been thinking about the composition of the Democratic base. You have African Americans and increasingly Hispanics, who were largely religious and socially conservative. Then you have the women's movement and the gay rights movement. Throw some unions and young people on top of that and I think we have the major bases covered.

Not all of these groups seem like natural allies, but the one thing that kept them united (and which continues to draw them closer together) is the fact that they're all hated by the right. The successful Democratic Presidents of our time have been the ones that can excite and unify all factions of the party with common purpose.

Obama has done that, I think, to a greater degree than even Clinton did. The Democratic Party loves this President, and that strong core support is perhaps the biggest advantage he has.

Still though, the House was lost to Republicans in 2010. Democrats need a way to make people remain actively involved in politics irregardless of whether or not it's an Election year. This is something Republicans do insanely well with their base.

Montana was never really in play for Obama, though. He was -5 before with PPP which, which was probably too good to begin with.

-10 sounds about right.

What does that even mean?

It sure feels like poligaf is just as much playing the "polls are skewed" game as the other side, if said polls aren't to our likings. Either we stay hopelessly optimistic, we doubt the poll internals, or we rationalize the bad news as an obviousness. The past few days have been a sad display.

Obama lost in 2008 by only 2% in Montana. He was in the latest PPP poll 5% behind on Romney, and now 11%. Tell me again which score was "not good to begin with"?

It sure feels like poligaf is just as much playing the "polls are skewed" game as the other side, if said polls aren't to our likings. Either we stay hopelessly optimistic, we doubt the poll internals, or we rationalize the bad news as an obviousness. The past few days have been a sad display.

Obama lost in 2008 by only 2% in Montana. He was in the latest PPP poll 5% behind on Romney, and now 11%. Tell me again which score was "not good to begin with"?

Montana is a red state, he's not really campaigning there. 2008 was different. Obama won 2008 by a large national popular vote marging which benefited him in Montana. In a close election, montana is going to swing back the other way.

What I meant by that was PPP finding him down 5 was probably a bit small. That's not saying polls are skewed. Remember, if they find him down 5 with a MoE of 4, he could just as well have been down 7 or 8, but randomness of polling will turn out results like down 5.

And FWIW, PPP is the only pollster I know of to have Obama not down 7+.

There is a massive difference between skewing a poll and saying the poll probably is 1 standard deviation (or a bit more) from the mean and looking at other polls to see that. I will repeat, 1 out of every 20 GOOD polls are outliers because the math dictates it. Although, -5 wasn't even an outlier...

Who cares if he lost Montana by 2% in 2008? He won Indiana in 08 and he's not winning it this year, and he was never winning Montana.

What I think he's trying to say is that PPP 5% was easily the closest poll and this poll is more inline with polling from other pollsters. Most sites have had Montana as either a lock for Romney or likely Romney long before today for a reason and it has nothing to do with "unskewing" polls

markatisu

Its means Montana is a red state. If Obama were to ever turn it the entire country might as well be Blue.

Plus the GOP hates Obama more now then in 2008, you think after the Healthcare law and other things he has done in 4 years its still going to be 1-2%??

WaltJay

Romney is debating himself again for the nth time.

“The actions I’ll take immediately is to remove funding for Planned Parenthood. It will not be part of my budget. And also I’ve indicated that I will reverse the Mexico City position of the president. I will reinstate the Mexico City policy which keeps us from using foreign aid for abortions overseas.”

vs.

“there’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda.”

wat

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/10/romney-ill-be-a-pro-life-president/?wprss=rss_politics

codhand

I had mad respect for Bissinger for calling out Jerry Sandusky early, and harshly, but using the R-word (no not Republican) in 2012? Huge letdown for me.

WASHINGTON -- A pro-life, family-values congressman who worked as a doctor before winning election as a Tea Party-backed Republican had an affair with a patient and later pressured her to get an abortion, according to a phone call transcript obtained by The Huffington Post.

The congressman, Rep. Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee, was trying to save his marriage at the time, according to his remarks on the call, made in September of 2000. And, according to three independent sources familiar with the call and the recording, he made the tape himself.

DesJarlais, who was provided a copy of the transcript by HuffPost, did not deny its contents, but in a statement released through his campaign characterized it as just another sordid detail dredged up by the opposition. "Desperate personal attacks do not solve our nation's problems, yet it appears my opponents are choosing to once again engage in the same gutter politics that CBS news called the dirtiest in the nation just 2 years ago."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/scott-desjarlais-abortion-pro-life_n_1953136.html
Wait . . . WHAT?

There is so much wrong in there it is hard to count:
-(presumably) Cheating on his wife
-Pressuring a woman to get an abortion
-Taping a phone conversation
-Hypocritically having his partner get an abortion
-Having an affair with one of his patients

He can't really dismiss this as just his personal private life since some of those are legal/ethical problems and hypocritical in view of his professed political views.

Amir0x

Banned

Not this issue in particular, but this is part of what I want Obama to do... memorize (or at least be able to paraphrase) several key quotes on policy Mitt Romney has made in the past month, and then PIN HIM to them and demand he either lie that he never made them or disavow them. Illustrate that he changes his position and DARE the media not to confirm Obama was right by calling out Romney.

Not this issue in particular, but this is part of what I want Obama to do... memorize (or at least be able to paraphrase) several key quotes on policy Mitt Romney has made in the past month, and then PIN HIM to them and demand he either lie that he never made them or disavow them. Illustrate that he changes his position and DARE the media not to confirm Obama was right by calling out Romney.

Yep. It's worthless talking about numbers because the media always calls them wrong even if it's 100% correct, because some arbitrary caveat wasn't pointed out. Pin quotes on Romney and let media do it's job.

Link Man

Banned
Well, got the mail tonight (after neglecting it for a while).

11 Republican Flyers
1 Democrat Flyer

Is bogging your constituents down with trash the new Republican strategy?

SmokeMaxX

From my discussions with a lot of African Americans, they'd prefer to vote Republican on social issues except for the whole Obama thing plus the right-wing/tea party encouraging racism/vote suppression.

Well, got the mail tonight (after neglecting it for a while).

11 Republican Flyers
1 Democrat Flyer

Is bogging your constituents down with trash the new Republican strategy?

pretty sure this and bombarding telephone lines are the republican idea of a "ground game."

meanwhile the obummer campaign is busing people to registration and early voting locations.

That Montana is a red state, is besides the point.

Saying that the PPP number of -11% is more realistic than the -5%, is not some *obvious certainty*, as Obama has gotten as close to -2% in that state.

If Obama was 5% behind Romney before, it might be because in September everything was going right for Obama, and Romney was digging his own grave. Now, imagine if Obama had not reversed this trend with a horrible debate, we might as well again have seen an end result where Obama loses Montana with a 2 to 5% margin again. Instead he took a nosedive in the polls to -11% (for now).

I'm not claiming Montana would ever turn blue. I'm just pointing out the obvious that a -5% for Obama was not unrealistic. That he dropped to 11% is bad news, regardless of electoral consequences.

Just claiming "well, the 11% was more realistic than 5% anyway", is grabbing less negative explanations out of thin air. It reeks of cognitive dissonance and unskewedpolls ™.

I'm not a big fan of her putting all three videos next to each other like that. The last two seem extremely similar in wording and makes the videos seem more scripted rather than honest. Powerful videos though.

Just because they're scripted doesn't mean they're not honest. You can see the first ladies eyes reading what is to be said. Doesn't mean what she's saying isn't true. The third lady gives the best delivery...she's really really upset with Akin.

Cloudy

Banned
I had mad respect for Bissinger for calling out Jerry Sandusky early, and harshly, but using the R-word (no not Republican) in 2012? Huge letdown for me.

R as in racism? What?

Also , I just put 2 and 2 together. Romney's been using the "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose" as his campaign phrase the last week. Maybe huge attention, royalties etc. for Bissinger if Romney is Prez? (FNL is his favorite show)

I am stunned at my fellow Democrats. Stunned. I have never seen such overwrought, hysterical reactions -- from pathetic whimpering and finger-wagging admonishments right down to screeching denouncements and door-slamming party-defection -- all in response to one slightly anemic debate against a Republican challenger high on his own hyperbole. Despite the fact that Romney's "performance" (and let's not kid ourselves, calling it a "debate" is an insult to debating) was in the grand tradition of the decorum flattening, Gish Galloping steamroll, delivered with the verve of a vaudevillian carnival barker from a guy nurtured on success and wrapped in enough ego to pull it off. And, oh, he sang, he danced, he told jokes; he lied himself silly, flip-flopped on his previously stated platforms, interrupted the out-maneuvered Mr. Lehrer, pontificated with the wild-eyes of a Fox pundit puffed like a political blowfish in service of his goal to blow President Obama out of the water. And it was decided he did. "HE WON!!" the world declared.

And Dems lost their cool.

We must all realize at this point that we live in a culturally superficial world, one so easily tipped by smoke and mirrors that we need not rely on reality... we've got reality shows. Which means we've got pop stars whose entire recording careers are built on the digital mastery of engineers who tweak and manipulate their bad vocals into good ones and a star is born. We've got television series that make uber-stars out of housewives whose only talent is having smart mouths and a willingness to expose every corpuscle of their... lives. We've got misnomered Learning Channels that aggrandize dubious families for ratings points and audiences who can only giggle with voyeuristic glee. And we've got an electorate so immersed in this magical TV thinking that, like any night on The Voice or America's Got Talent, the chairs swirled, the crowds voted, and that gladiator pit known as a political debate was decided by forum. Republicans huzzahed and some Democrats, fragile of heart and apparently lacking in conviction or belief, found a less-than-stellar showing at a debate enough to throw the president under the bus. Or perhaps a reality show meme is more appropriate: "off the island."

Not for his policies, not for his worldview, for his performance. Our entire culture has become a reality show.

Writer Buzz Bissinger -- a supposed "lifelong Democrat" -- has loudly and publicly disavowed the president to declare his vote for Romney, a man whose policies and worldview could not be more estranged from or contradictory to those of the party to which Buzz had previously, 'lifelongedly,' aligned. Mr. Bissinger goes on to list his reasons beyond the debate and, in doing so, makes clear that he has become... a Republican. Given his heated defection-defense, including his presumed clairvoyance about what the president thinks, feels, and where he is when Mr. Bissinger isn't personally "seeing him" running the country, I would guess he's been edging toward Republicanism for a while now and just hasn't had the cojones to make the leap. Thank God Obama delivered that "tipping point" so he can finally hop aboard the Mitt Mobile.

But there are others: Andrew Sullivan is distraught in the audience, honestly wondering Did Obama Just Throw the Entire Election Away?. Howard Fineman has contributed several pieces excoriating the president as if the man had sat on the stage sucking his thumb. Other Dems have jumped on the bandwagon, screaming that "he doesn't want it badly enough," "he's bored with the presidency," "he's lost his mojo" and so on, apoplectic with rage, horror, and disappointment; disgusted, even, at this horrible man who has betrayed their hope, leaving them in upheaving, hiccuping heartbreak. Sheesh, I didn't see this much delirium when our guy was getting impeached for getting a blow job!

And while this isn't a reality show, let's make note that even on American Idol we didn't judge a contestant based on one performance; we looked at the entirety of their run throughout the season to assess their chops and, often, even the best had an off night. So why are we 'tantruming' like toddlers because the President of the United States didn't jump on the couch along with his opponent? Don't we know him by now? Don't we understand his understatement? His "elegant realism"? Didn't we appreciate that style after all the goofy "good ole boy" and GI Joe stuff Bush doled out? But now, at this point in the game, we're deciding his quiet intelligence is just... weak, pathetic, flog-worthy?

What Mitt did? All that trumped-up hyperbole and loud, bombastic demagoguery mixed with a dollop of distortion and a dash of revisionism? That's Mitt's style. That's not the president's style. And while I agree the president's style could use a jolt of fierceness for the next debate, to denigrate, denounce, defile, and ultimately detach from him and the party because he wasn't "energetic" enough belies any sense of proportion or loyalty.

To those who don't consider fickleness wise politics, who understand that there is so much more at stake here than style points; who can grasp that running the country while running a campaign has different demands for the incumbent than the challenger, who still very clearly see the chasm of difference between the president's platforms and those of Mr. Romney, and, lastly, who agree that one off night should NEVER be a dealbreaker; I suggest we stop participating in the cultural whine fest, get the fuck over it, and get back to speaking to the compassionate policies, economic improvements, and big tent considerations of the Democratic party and the current President of the United States.

If you're a Republican, celebrate your guy's win (though I'd argue the fine points of that definition) and revel in the bump... for the moment. If you're a third-party person, yes, holler about your people and dismiss all this noise about the debates in which you're not included. But if you're a Democrat and your attachment to those ideals is so tenuous that, like Buzz Bissinger, you're jumping ship after one debate despite the man's many significant accomplishments (Obama's Top 50 Accomplishments ), I'd suggest you rethink both the concept of loyalty and political vision. If you can switch that easily, at a time when party identity could not be more distinct, likely you were just looking for a reason to run. The rest of us Dems will stay put and keep working with the president and others of our party on compassionate, intelligent economic policy, foreign policy, immigration policy; women's rights and freedoms, health care reform, entitlement reform, environmental protections, tax reform, business incentives, LGBT civil rights, etc. You know, the party's platforms.

Those of you leaving? You probably belong right where you're headed. Good luck and close the door on your way out.

So many truth bombs. Goddamn.

SmokeMaxX

Just because they're scripted doesn't mean they're not honest. You can see the first ladies eyes reading what is to be said. Doesn't mean what she's saying isn't true. The third lady gives the best delivery...she's really really upset with Akin.

Oh no, I think they're perfectly honest and it's a shame what those women went through. It's just that they SEEM more dishonest when they're read from a script and that might create a weaker connection among viewers.

pigeon

Banned

Saying that the PPP number of -11% is obviously more realistic than the -5%, is at odds with the -2% 2008 number.

This is a lousy analysis, because that was four years ago and fundamentals change in that time. Frankly, there aren't very many polls in Montana, because it's well-acknowledged that it won't be a swing state, but there have only been three polls all year that showed Romney leading by less than five. Obama would have had to gain about twice as much as he did in September to even get back to that -2% figure. So it's perfectly reasonable to expect Obama to be down 10 in Montana -- it lines up fine with all the information we have so far.

Oh no, I think they're perfectly honest and it's a shame what those women went through. It's just that they SEEM more dishonest when they're read from a script and that might create a weaker connection among viewers.

Yeah, it's only 30 seconds. They could have memorized their remarks. I think it's obvious that the first lady is reading her remarks. Sadly, that's probably the best ad of the three and the one I'd run the most but all 3 are great.

This is a lousy analysis, because that was four years ago and fundamentals change in that time. Frankly, there aren't very many polls in Montana, because it's well-acknowledged that it won't be a swing state, but there have only been three polls all year that showed Romney leading by less than five. Obama would have had to gain about twice as much as he did in September to even get back to that -2% figure. So it's perfectly reasonable to expect Obama to be down 10 in Montana -- it lines up fine with all the information we have so far.

It's even lousier to just assume that the -5 was unrealistic to begin with and that it was probably more like -11 all along, just because you don't like the idea of a 6 point drop.

Don't forget I'm just taking the polls at face value and not twisting it into something positive. Obama was -5 last time, and -11 right now. It's a sizeable segment of poligaf that just seems to dismiss bad news as untrue (look at the internals!) or "well duuuh". It's getting on my nerves.

Cloudy

Banned
From my discussions with a lot of African Americans, they'd prefer to vote Republican on social issues except for the whole Obama thing plus the right-wing/tea party encouraging racism/vote suppression.

Yup if Republican's would ditch the Southern Strategy, they could win a lot of the black vote cos it is super socially conservative.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who is voting for Obama but she is disappointed that he turned out to be a "fake" Christian (because of his support for gay marriage). I told her Obama is everyone's president and that includes homosexuals too but she wouldn't hear it. Unreal..

Yup if Republican's would ditch the Southern Strategy, they could win a lot of the black vote cos it is super socially conservative.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who is voting for Obama but she is disappointed that he turned out to be a "fake" Christian (because of his support for gay marriage). I told her Obama is everyone's president and that includes homosexuals too but she wouldn't hear it. Unreal..

Yuck. Why be friends with someone like that?

Saying that the PPP number of -11% is more realistic than the -5%, is not some *obvious certainty*, as Obama has gotten as close to -2% in that state.

If Obama was 5% behind Romney before, it might be because in September everything was going right for Obama, and Romney was digging his own grave. Now, imagine if Obama had not reversed this trend with a horrible debate, we might as well again have seen an end result where Obama loses Montana with a 2 to 5% margin again. Instead he took a nosedive in the polls to -11% (for now).

I'm not claiming Montana would ever turn blue. I'm just pointing out the obvious that a -5% for Obama was not unrealistic. That he dropped to 11% is bad news, regardless of electoral consequences.

Just claiming "well, the 11% was more realistic than 5% anyway", is grabbing less negative explanations out of thin air. It reeks of cognitive dissonance and unskewedpolls ™.

Who had it at -2%?

Like I said, every poll I've seen put it at 7-11% with Ras having a 17% number in there, even.

It is not the same as unskewed polls. This is how statistics work. If the "truth" is 7%, you're going to get a lot of 5% and 9% numbers. So when I say 10% is probably closer to the truth, I'm saying based on ALL THE OTHER POLLING, I'm going to assume the PPP 5% number was probably on the low end due to NORMAL STATISTICS and throw in the debate bump and you're at 10%.

There is a big difference between unskewing and understanding what the numbers given actually mean.

I will repeat yet again. One out of every 20 GOOD polls will be an outlier. This is what math says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom