• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
President Obama should take notes from Elizabeth Warren. That is how you sell the Democratic platform and debate a moderate Republican.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SREj4atlFU

Don't give me the line that Massachusetts is a blue state either. Warren is basically selling the boilerplate platform of the Democratic Party. What she is arguing should play anywhere if you go by the polling of peoples' opinions and their priorities.

She really pushed him on his votes about women issues. Also Brown did not attack on the Native American issue.

Kinvara

What?...
U8a77.png

She also mounted an effective defense of the ACA and did a better job of selling Democratic budgetary priorities.

Listening to it now.

She got him good on the ACA.

I think she could have done a better job on the first question, it seemed like they were both talking past each other on that one.

Some of the post here seem to not want to face the truth of what the polls are currently showing. YES, Obama is winning and is still on track to do so. However, Romney is now within striking distance for a win. This race is currently pretty close. If something else major goes wrong for Obama between now and the election Obama will lose unless Romney's bounce fades fast. People seem to be going back to overconfidence right after they got burned by it last week.

Aylinato

Some of the post here seem to not want to face the truth of what the polls are currently showing. YES, Obama is winning and is still on track to do so. However, Romney is now within striking distance for a win. This race is currently pretty close. If something else major goes wrong for Obama between now and the election Obama will lose unless Romney's bounce fades fast. People seem to be going back to overconfidence right after they got burned by it last week.

No, Romney cannot win if he loses Ohio, which did not shift towards Romney at all. The EC is so favored towards Dems now it's near impossible for Romney to have a chance at winning.

(not to mention his bump's already fading lol at this thread lately)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Romney's barely cracked a 32% chance to win this thing, which is less than I thought it would be after the last few days worth of polls. Yes Obama needs to not fuck up, but the same goes for Romney. If Ryan fucks up this debate like he did his RNC speech it could kill Romney's chances. A VP debate will never help, but it can hurt.

The poll was done debate day thru Monday too. Bodes well for Obama in OH I think

Why? The internals of the Obama campaign show Romney is within the margin of error in Ohio
http://www.nationaljournal.com/whitehouse/obama-s-ohio-silver-lining-20121010

EDIT: Just saw the NJ has a correction at the bottom of the article
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story misstated the results of internal polling for the Obama campaign in relation to the margin of error. President Obama's lead in Ohio was found to be just outside the margin of error.

Still, it's close

A little something I made, based on what my dad said last night

C1euT.jpg

There is a small typo. Screw it. It's late

I think your dad is extraordinarily wrong. It always strikes me that really highly educated people love to assume all other similarly educated people are moderate and generally have good ideas. Almost as if the whole ideological divide is just a show for the unwashed masses (this is not directly pointed at your dad, now I'm making a broader point).

Wall

Listening to it now.

She got him good on the ACA.

I think she could have done a better job on the first question, it seemed like they were both talking past each other on that one.

Neither party talks much sense on job creation. It’s part of the overall incoherence in the debate surrounding the budget and economic growth. Within the framework of the current debate she did about as a well as I would expect. She stumbled over the name of one of the initiatives, but that is about it.

Both parties just use the issue to highlight their budgetary priorities and governing philosophies.

No, Romney cannot win if he loses Ohio, which did not shift towards Romney at all. The EC is so favored towards Dems now it's near impossible for Romney to have a chance at winning.

(not to mention his bump's already fading lol at this thread lately)

Notice that the difference in Ohio is now fairly small. There is little evidence of a fading bump either, it has only just stabilized in the last two days. Seriously though, your dismissive attitude is troubling as it shows that you don't seem willing to change your mind despite what you may read. I am not saying Romney is likely to win and if you thoughtfully read my post you would understand that. I am just saying a Romney win is a possibility with a meaningful chance of occuring, when before it wasn't. When one major mistake can cost you the election, then that's a close election. The debate didn't cost Obama the election but another thing like that would.

This is not panicing, that is can surmised by looking at the polls with an open mind.

Neither party talks much sense on job creation. It’s part of the overall incoherence in the debate surrounding the budget and economic growth. Within the framework of the current debate she did about as a well as I would expect. She stumbled over the name of one of the initiatives, but that is about it.

Both parties just use the issue to highlight their budgetary priorities and governing philosophies.

Just heard that "job creator" line from Brown.

That was a really really bad moment for him. Warren got him good, and then he just doubled down on that comment.

Notice that the difference in Ohio is now fairly small. There is little evidence of a fading bump either, it has only just stabilized in the last two days. Seriously though, your dismissive attitude is troubling as it shows that you don't seem willing to change your mind despite what you may read. I am not saying Romney is likely to win and if you thoughtfully read my post you would understand that. I am just saying a Romney win is a possibility with a meanful chance of occuring, when before it wasn't.

This is not panicing, that is can surmised by looking at the polls with an open mind.

"fairly small." If he's up 4 as CNN says, that makes him almost 95% to win the state. Any lead above 2 is fairly large, statistically.

Also, we don't know the state polls regarding the bounce. But the national trackers have shown a reverse. Both Ras and Gallup have improved the last 3 days for Obama while RAND has done nothing of consequence.

SmokeMaxX

Notice that the difference in Ohio is now fairly small. There is little evidence of a fading bump either, it has only just stabilized in the last two days. Seriously though, your dismissive attitude is troubling as it shows that you don't seem willing to change your mind despite what you may read. I am not saying Romney is likely to win and if you thoughtfully read my post you would understand that. I am just saying a Romney win is a possibility with a meaningful chance of occuring, when before it wasn't. When one major mistake can cost you the election, then that's a close election. The debate didn't cost Obama the election but another thing like that would.

Define "meaningful chance." That may be 10% to some, 50% to others.
When should one be "dismissive"? At the 100% mark? The 80% mark? The 50% mark?

With those two questions, it's easy to see how you could think Romney has a meaningful chance (let's say 30%) while someone else could be dismissive since Obama has a 70% chance of winning.

-PXG-

I think your dad is extraordinarily wrong. It always strikes me that really highly educated people love to assume all other similarly educated people are moderate and generally have good ideas. Almost as if the whole ideological divide is just a show for the unwashed masses (this is not directly pointed at your dad, now I'm making a broader point).

I think his point was the the POTUS doesn't really have that much power. To him, Congress and the Senate have the true power. People, mistakenly vote top of the ticket, while the congressional and senatorial races are mostly ignored, or at least, in comparison. He believes the media overplays and over hypes how close election is, not only to create a story (and increase ratings) but also not to entirely undermine local and state races. In a way, their sensationalism is a good thing.

In reality, if Obama had a huge lead, reporting that would basically send a message to Republican hopefuls in both senate and congressional races, that they're wasting their time and shouldn't bother running. You can't have that happen and allow a grim outlook take control the outcome. That much doubt and cynicism isn't good for anyone. It would discourage people from wanting to get involved if they thought their chances at winning were non-existent. Making things seem close encourages people to get involved and hopeful that their vote truly does make a difference. So, again, in order to boost ratings for themselves and to prevent interrupting the political process, the media and even pollsters work their magic (with, bias, skewing and half-truths) in order to make things seem deadlocked. It's not really a conspiracy but rather a little tricks at keeping things in balance. It's weird, but the way he explained it, it made a lot of sense.

On the most part, especially for the economy (which, ironically, the government can't really control) Obama and Romney want to do the same things. What differs is how they go about getting things done. They vary on social and foreign policy though. From his experience, favorability and likability are key. Whichever candidate people resonates better with and whichever person they feel more comfortable with will win. Most people don't know about the issues or what they're about. If folks think Obama is alright, but Mitt's a jerk, they'll vote for Obama. If the incumbent isn't hated but the challenger isn't necessarily loved, the incumbent has the advantage and will have a very strong shot at winning.

All that remains is who actual bothers to go out and vote on the 6th.

RDreamer

Hah, friends pranked me with a Romney Ryan bumper sticker. I think they felt so bad about putting on that they taped it on my window so I could only see it inside and others outside couldn't see it. That's how big of a joke Romney is at one of my jobs. (at the other job everyone worships him)

"fairly small." If he's up 4 as CNN says, that makes him almost 95% to win the state. Any lead above 2 is fairly large, statistically.

Also, we don't know the state polls regarding the bounce. But the national trackers have shown a reverse. Both Ras and Gallup have improved the last 3 days for Obama while RAND has done nothing of consequence.

You are assuming that nothing noteworthy happens in the next month to move the polls at all. If nothing does then Obama has a great chance of winning. I am just stating that if something does (and it goes against him) Obama will be in trouble. I just wanted to respond to those who were saying things that implied they thought Obama definitely has it in the bag. He's the favorite, but it isn't a sure thing.

Jackson50

http://wapo.st/SSIRRw

GOP blows the CIA's cover in Libya
That the CIA was involved was fairly obvious. At least, as more information accrued, it was clear the compound was not a standard State Department facility. But it's laughable that after complaining incessantly about intelligence leaks, and there was some justification to the complaints although Republicans exaggerated as usual, the GOP would commit such an error. I'm disconcerted these impetuous, sophomoric dullards are responsible for oversight.
Why? The internals of the Obama campaign show Romney is within the margin of error in Ohio
http://www.nationaljournal.com/whitehouse/obama-s-ohio-silver-lining-20121010

EDIT: Just saw the NJ has a correction at the bottom of the article

Still, it's close
Switch to a 99% confidence interval. You might still be correct.

I think his point was the the POTUS doesn't really have that much power. To him, Congress and the Senate have the true power. People, mistakenly vote top of the ticket, while the congressional and senatorial races are mostly ignored, or at least, in comparison. He believes the media overplays and over hypes how close election is, not only to create a story (and increase ratings) but also not to entirely undermine local and state races. In a way, their sensationalism is a good thing.

If his contention is that Congress has the true power, then a Romney Presidential wins is still very different than an Obama one because of its down-ticket effects.

Raine

Watching the Warren/Brown debate, it's a shame we didn't get a moderator like this for last week's Presidential Debate.

You are assuming that nothing noteworthy happens in the next month to move the polls at all. If nothing does then Obama has a great chance of winning. I am just stating that if something does (and it goes against him) Obama will be in trouble. I just wanted to respond to those who were saying things that implied they thought Obama definitely has it in the bag. He's the favorite, but it isn't a sure thing.

No, I'm saying the poll says right now that Obama is 95% to win in Ohoi. Of course things could change.

Look, if Obama has a 2nd terrible debate, then who the fuck knows what happens. I have not said Obama has this locked. I've given my opinion that I think the bounce will fade a bit (not totally) before the next debate.

I'm merely analyzing the polls that do come in. Nothing in life is a sure thing. Obama is the favorite. And until there's a major shift, I'm not going to start worrying. That doesn't mean I'm unconcerned about anything.

President Obama should take notes from Elizabeth Warren. That is how you sell the Democratic platform and debate a moderate Republican.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SREj4atlFU

Don't give me the line that Massachusetts is a blue state either. Warren is basically selling the boilerplate platform of the Democratic Party. What she is arguing should play anywhere if you go by the polling of peoples' opinions and their priorities.

Here's a better link with good audio and video as well.

-PXG-

If his contention is that Congress has the true power, then a Romney Presidential wins is still very different than an Obama one because of its down-ticket effects.

Maybe, maybe not. Republicans could turn their back on Mitt, calling him a traitor for being too moderate and ignoring his conservative base. It's not like they actually like him, you know.

Mitt Romney is the GOP's John Kerry. He's gonna lose. I'm not nervous like some of you are in this thread. I'm not complacent either. Don't want Mitt to win? VOTE. Inform people of his bullshit.

Huh, I thought the Big Bird commercial was just a web ad, just saw it during the Daily Show.

They said they were only running it on comedy channels for fun.

speaking of which, Big Bird is going to be the hot halloween costume this year. Not joking, sales on the rise big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom