• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

Maddow's blog also takes note that Rubio's immigration plan sounds/looks nearly exactly like Obama's
http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2...n-agenda-sounds-familiar#.UPcH2SyWnB4.twitter

I think it's a good piece of policy regardless of the name at the top of it. If Rubio fights for it in the Senate and the President signs it, then I think both of them would come out looking good. Rubio is clearly setting himself up for four years from now and if this can be seen as a genuine moment of bipartisanship then I'm okay with that.

I really hope liberals don't throw a fit because a Republican now wants to support this policy.

People are now quoting Mein Kampf on my Facebook feed where Hitler stated something about using children to get people to go along with something. Ugh.

What kind of sick assholes even know enough of Mein Kampf to quote it? That's a book I'd rather never read at all.

West Virginia :(

Oh. Of course. Actually, most of my Facebook friends are also from WV (as am I), but with a couple exceptions seem pretty reasonable. They obviously hate Obama, but keep the racism and gun-nuttery to a minimum. We're older, though.

I think Obama is going to come out of this gun fight looking like the winner. The majority support his proposals and even if he compromises and it passes, he still comes out having signed into law the biggest gun bill in decades.

I think history is going to judge Obama very well. All the tea partiers are going to drift away unidentified behind a "recalcitrant congress" type label, while Obama is going to be credited with all the political victories, and we won't remember the higher hopes we had for the legislation.

Arde5643

I think history is going to judge Obama very well. All the tea partiers are going to drift away unidentified behind a "recalcitrant congress" type label, while Obama is going to be credited with all the political victories, and we won't remember the higher hopes we had for the legislation.

With how much people are deifying Clinton now even from some ex-conservatives or ex-republicans alike, Obama's gonna get equal or more than a Reagan-esque stature as the years roll by.

Tim-E

I've thought this for about a year now. His election was historic, his first term achievements are pretty impressive on paper, and combine that with raising taxes on high income earners, a gun control bill, an immigration reform bill and whatever else, as long as he can make it through this term without scandal, he should be pretty set to be the historically important President he clearly wants to be.

Gotchaye

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/01/house-gops-intentional-losing-strategy.html

Parliamentary government, here we come. The Hastert Rule is the primary thing standing in the way of the coalition of the sane that the pragmatist GOP members need to form to survive. Relevantly, any gun control legislation, as well as fiscal stuff or immigration reform, will have to break the Hastert Rule to pass without a rider defunding Obamacare. And most everybody's goals align here -- Obama gets to push for his priorities and splinter the GOP, Boehner gets to pass legislation that makes the government not fall over, and the Tea Party gets to be as loud and crazy as they want to without the negative consequences they'd face if they were in charge. The question to answer really is whether that's enough for the Tea Party.

I thought this was pretty clearly where things were headed after Boehner kept his Speakership after the fiscal cliff vote. I'm not sure it can happen for gun control, though. Boehner's got a reason to break the Hastert rule when, as you say, it's necessary to make the government not fall over, and he can get away with this in part because many of the Tea Party Congressmen aren't actually true believers. But for lesser issues, the GOP infighting isn't going to be worth the potential political gain. A split caucus that allows immigration reform to pass doesn't let the GOP take much credit for immigration reform, because it guarantees that there will be more anti-immigrant noise coming from the right than there would have been with no vote. Almost any Hastert violation that doesn't prevent catastrophe is going to be bad politics for the GOP and for Boehner.

Even allowing votes in crises only isn't going to be enough for the Tea Party, but the beauty of it is that they don't get much of a say. They can hold their own representatives accountable, but they'd need to be fairly sophisticated to object to the fact that their Reps didn't try to prevent Boehner from continuing as Speaker. The Reps in very conservative districts are going to be the ones voting against and yelling about the debt ceiling increase. Boehner's probably safe regardless, although it might not be good for their eventual 2016 candidate. We know that the Tea Party Reps themselves are fine with this arrangement, because Boehner's still Speaker.

Today’s Washington Post poll finds that a whopping 67 percent of Americans say Congressional Republicans are doing “too little” to cooperate with President Obama, while only 27 percent say the GOP is doing the right amount or too much. Among independents, those numbers are 68-26. By contrast, 48 percent say Obama’s doing too little to cooperate with Republicans, while the same amount — 48 percent — say he’s doing the right amount or too much.

More to the point: 58 percent of Americans — and 58 percent of independents — say the debate about raising the debt ceiling should be separate from efforts to cut spending. Even 45 percent of Republicans say this. Only 36 percent of Americans want the debt ceiling to be tied to spending cuts.

Stay the course House GOP. It will pay off in due time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-morning-plum-the-increasingly-isolated-gop/

All the gerrymandering in the world won't save them if they allow a default. I guarantee it. Which is why I think Boehner won't allow it, regardless.

JohnDonut

Banned
The NRA has marginalized itself. The fact that no one pushed back on them apparently allowed them to run wild. And now people are waking up and realizing that the NRA has done things like prevent science from happening, help people on the terrorist no-fly list buy guns, propose armed guards in elementary schools, etc.
I don't agree with what the effects of NRA is doing here, and frankly I would have said the bolded part is a little much as well, but at the same time you need something to prevent the sandy thing from happening again. At least for the time being until this all calms down.

Armed guards are not a danger to those they're trying to protect. Putting a gun in an untrained teacher's hand as some have suggested however, is.

I don't understand how it is acceptable that the house is not even allowed to vote on something unless the speaker approves, even if it would pass...!! how is this not a tyranny/dictatorship? One person cannot hold so much power over the political process. Why is the media not calling this tyranny?

Courtesy of my crazy conservative uncle:

321012_390005794420801_382184_n.jpg

More from the poll:

The percentage of Americans seeing the Republican leadership as overly intransigent is up 13 percentage points since December 2010, just after the GOP reclaimed control of the House of Representatives. The biggest increases since that time have been among Republicans and conservatives, with roughly 20-point jumps in blaming their party’s leaders for not doing enough to strike deals with the president. Half of all Republicans say the GOP leadership is not doing enough to compromise.

Republicans in the poll have also led the revival in Obama’s “strong leader” number. Overall, 61 percent see the president as a strong leader, up from 51 percent a year ago. Since then, there has been a 17-point increase among Republicans, from 18 to 35 percent.

The Obama facade the GOP media has built up is slowly tearing down, IMO.

The Obamacare ending to that is fucking stupid. Most of them happen during mandatory surgeries (you'd get regardless of insurance) or elective ones (not covered by insurance), not going to your doctor cuz you have a fucking cold.

JohnDonut

Banned
BAN HOSPITALS! ARMED GUARDS AT EVERY OPERATING TABLE! AN AK47 IN EVERY NURSES HAND!
While I love hyperbole, I get the point though.

However statistics by themselves is meaningless. It more shows where policies and methods need to be changed, if anything. And for some of that, not even that. Other things need to be changed in order to reduce deaths by those means.

Tim-E

He's a wonderful snake. My hope is they manage to pass it, it gets signed into law, and then Obama turns and says, "Thanks! This was exactly everything I wanted." which makes the far right turn on Rubio.

I still think he's going to be their nominee in 2016. They'll try to ride the coattails of a bi-partisan immigration reform bill to say that they're bipartisan and put forward their Latino candidate in an attempt to shrink their embarrassing margins with Latinos. Romney and McCain winning their party's nominations show that ultimately their party is willing to pick their best possible option in a general election. I think we'll see the same thing next go around.

This is deaths by assault rifles only? Because that number is absurdly low for all guns. And I'd guess even that number makes assault rifles orders of magnitude more deadly than hammers on a per-weapon basis.
If I understood Obama correctly earlier today, already there have been 900 gun related deaths in the US this year.

JohnDonut

Banned
Who shot the constitution? They must be upset with it because Obama is using his powers as described within it.
Well, in some cases Obama is kind of circumventing congress and I personally don't think that's appropriate.

If I understood Obama correctly earlier today, already there have been 900 gun related deaths in the US this year.
By what means? There have been a few shootings this year over other years, but generally it's handguns not rifles. Additionally, you have to consider accidents via hunting or improper use, which aren't at all the same as murder with guns.

JohnDonut

Banned
Really? You believe any of the points on that list posted earlier are inappropriate? That's sad.
Where did I say that? I meant I was hearing that congress had been saying they wanted to do one thing, and the president was saying something along the lines of "who needs you?"

Statistics by themselves are not enough information to reach a conclusion. This is like rule #1 of critical thinking.

Just an interesting note from my experience:
These same gun nuts are are almost always the ones who oppose motorcycle helmet laws claiming it's "their right" instead of looking at the big picture.

As a motorcyclist I am a huge proponent of better safety laws and stricter licensing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Where did I say that? I meant I was hearing that congress had been saying they wanted to do one thing, and the president was saying something along the lines of "who needs you?"

The President doesn't need Congress do to a lot of things. He needs them to adjust current law and budgets, but once those things are set he can tell the different agencies what to emphasize and how to implement things.

JohnDonut

Banned
Can you be more specific?
I can't sorry. I realize it's just hearsay.

I'm going to google this now though.

The President doesn't need Congress do to a lot of things. He needs them to adjust current law and budgets, but once those things are set he can tell the different agencies what to emphasize and how to implement things.
I thought the current process was congress deliberates on law, then they push it to the president. He would then veto or approve the bill. Congress could then veto his veto if necessary.

Well, in some cases Obama is kind of circumventing congress and I personally don't think that's appropriate.

EO's by presidency:

Code:
	EO End		EO Start		Total
Obama	13632		13489		143
Bush	13488		13198		290
Clinton	13197		12834		363
Bush	12833		12668		165
Reagan	12667		12287		380

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/executive-orders/disposition.html

Obama has issued less EO's than even Bush I, and is on pace for less than Bush II.

But I guess it's only a problem and "circumventing congress" when a Democrat does it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This thread needs more Tom Toles.

nLzEq.png

Like they would read liberal filth like Catch-22!

I can't sorry. I realize it's just hearsay.

I'm going to google this now though.

I thought the current process was congress deliberates on law, then they push it to the president. He would then veto or approve the bill. Congress could then veto his veto if necessary.

It is, but the President is able to tell the different offices in the executive (ATF and the like) how to implement these laws and how harshly he wants them to enforce them. Basically Congress makes the rules and the President has the authority to implement these rules as he sees fit.

In separate polls conducted by Public Policy Polling and the Washington Post/ABC News, the association's favorability ratings sit underwater with the majority of Americans.
The PPP poll shows a big shift from before CEO Wayne LaPierre's press conference, which cast blame on the media, and violent video games and movies for the elementary-school massacre in Newtown, Conn., last month. Before the press conference, 48 percent of Americans viewed the organization in a positive light, compared with 41 percent who viewed it unfavorably.

After the press conference and a subsequent appearance on "Meet the Press," the NRA's favorability shifted to a 42-45 negative split — a 10-point swing in three weeks.

Meanwhile, the Washington Post and ABC found that the NRA's favorability rating is underwater for the first time ever in their limited polling of the question. According to the poll, only 36 percent said they have a favorable opinion of the NRA, compared with 44 percent who view it in a negative light.

When the WaPo/ABC last polled on the subject in 1999, the group's favorability rating stood comfortably positive at a 48-39 split.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/nra-...ontrol-video-games-media-2013-1#ixzz2IAsQ4n33

Dat NRA optics.

I hope their latest ad gets some play on the media circuit for how despicable it is, too.

pigeon

Banned
I still think he's going to be their nominee in 2016. They'll try to ride the coattails of a bi-partisan immigration reform bill to say that they're bipartisan and put forward their Latino candidate in an attempt to shrink their embarrassing margins with Latinos. Romney and McCain winning their party's nominations show that ultimately their party is willing to pick their best possible option in a general election. I think we'll see the same thing next go around.

Honestly, I see this as a potential Huntsman moment for Rubio. All Obama has to do to screw the GOP on immigration is say he wants to do the same stuff they want to do and that Rubio's plan is great and he endorses it. Now unless the GOP manages to do some thorough housecleaning Rubio suddenly can't get through the primary without disavowing his own plan. Hell, Obama could invite him to the signing and then hug him unexpectedly. Not sure if there's a way he could lure Rubio into a fistbump.

Tim-E

In what way is Obama using his power of executive order illegally and circumventing congress in a manner that is not appropriate?

Edit: I see that you're willing to look into it. I'm glad to see that because many people just run with things without fully understanding them. EOs were confusing to me upon following politics for the first time, but when you get a better grasp at what they are you see that they aren't tyrannical power grabs.

Honestly, I see this as a potential Huntsman moment for Rubio. All Obama has to do to screw the GOP on immigration is say he wants to do the same stuff they want to do and that Rubio's plan is great and he endorses it. Now unless the GOP manages to do some thorough housecleaning Rubio suddenly can't get through the primary without disavowing his own plan. Hell, Obama could invite him to the signing and then hug him unexpectedly. Not sure if there's a way he could lure Rubio into a fistbump.

This could happen, as well. While McCain and Romney have more moderate records, they went full stupid for the primaries in order to survive. Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part, but reading Team of Rivals has me yearning for honest policy discussions and a Republican party that isn't insane.

JohnDonut

Banned
The first part of this post is the Republican base in a nutshell.
For what it's worth, as a whole I don't agree with republican values as a whole.

Mostly I'm pro-gun, anti-corporation, pro-choice, pro-love whoever the fuck you want. If I had to summarize myself I suppose. I found myself supporting the green party for a while now.

EO's by presidency:

Obama has issued less EO's than even Bush I, and is on pace for less than Bush II.

But I guess it's only a problem and "circumventing congress" when a Democrat does it.
Is that per president or is that cumulative? Oh I see, it's cumulative.

And no, I'd say that about any president. I haven't been trying to be involved in what's going on until around when Obama got elected though, so my knowledge is limited I admit. I'm also surrounded by republicans everywhere I look so that may be influencing me.

Link

The Autumn Wind
For what it's worth, as a whole I don't agree with republican values as a whole.

Mostly I'm pro-gun, anti-corporation, pro-choice, pro-love whoever the fuck you want. If I had to summarize myself I suppose.
I wasn't accusing you of being a Republican, just that their base will get talking points from Fox News, the NRA, Facebook, etc. and run with it, without even really knowing the facts of the situation. Your statement summed it up nicely. The difference is that you're willing to educate yourself further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom