• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alcohol is among the most harmful drugs. It's entirely arbitrary that it's legal and others are not.

But that ignores two vastly enormous issues.

1) Addiction. You can have a beer at the party and not get addicted. Now try meth.

2) It's liquid.

Ban all alcohol. Ok. Now try and tell me people will stand at the corner with trenchcoats and bottles of alcohol - they wont. Too heavy, too bulky. Same trenchcoat could hide 5lbs of coke and 2,000 pills.

I was recently in an argument where a girl said she is not interested in dating pot smokers. A pot head got all defensive and started arguing that its no worse than alcohol and why should she care if someone smokes but not if someone drinks etc etc.

Dude seemed to miss the entire point....

One can consume alcohol in a crowded room with zero effect on everyone around them.
Smoking pot, on the other hand, involves smoking - something the western world is trying to phase out. If you light up, everyone around you has to deal with the stench and the possible side effects.

Our best bet is that Corbett is denied a second term in 2014 and we get a Democratic Governor who would not allow this kind of thing. Really hoping this happens. But I can't think of anyone who is strong enough to win. Maybe Nutter? If he can secure the turnout in Philly it's a done deal. Being that he is from there he should hopefully have no trouble. Onorato sucked so bad, being from Pittsburgh I knew that as soon as he won the primary, given the climate was bad for Dems to begin with, he didn't have a chance in hell.

Corbett is awful. He's worse than Tom Ridge. He's easily the worst governor we've had in decades. A true embarrassment.

oh, there's no doubt that corbett isn't getting a second term. I have a close friend in the administration and his staff is under no illusions he isn't getting in again.

This is why there's a last minute rush to ram through liquor privitization and the lottery privitization plan (see a theme?) before he's out on his ass.

1) Addiction. You can have a beer at the party and not get addicted. Now try meth.

2) It's liquid.

Ban all alcohol. Ok. Now try and tell me people will stand at the corner with trenchcoats and bottles of alcohol - they wont. Too heavy, too bulky. Same trenchcoat could hide 5lbs of coke and 2,000 pills.

I was recently in an argument where a girl said she is not interested in dating pot smokers. A pot head got all defensive and started arguing that its no worse than alcohol and why should she care if someone smokes but not if someone drinks etc etc.

Dude seemed to miss the entire point....

False equivalencies ahoy!

1.) I can't speak for meth (i've never come in contact with it, don't know anyone who does it, and as far as I know it's basically drain cleaner and amphetemines) but cocaine and heroin are also not "instantly addictive." You can certainly go out to a party, do a line of coke or whatever, and not wake up a junkie. consistent abuse is a completely different issue, but this is also a problem with alcohol.

2.) "It's liquid" is meaningless. People most certainly DID stand on corners with trenchcoats and smuggle alcohol. look up the history of prohibition sometime. Secret clubs, midnight liquor runs, corruption and bribery of local officials, the works. And in terms of personal use a small flask of highly potent alcohol (say, 151, or grain alcohol) is easily hidden.

3.) Pot is far less damaging to the body than alcohol is. this isn't up for debate. long term alcohol use will destroy your liver and your nervous system, and the withdrawal can be fatal. Pot isn't anywhere near as bad, as it's not addictive- at least not in the sense that alcohol is, where the body literally becomes dependent on it. You might have the lung cancer argument and the second hand smoke argument, but smoking can be done in private (not always at a crowded party) where this isn't an issue, and pot can be eaten in brownies and whatnot, eliminating the lung cancer and secondhand smoke argument entirely.

Hell, I don't smoke tobacco OR pot, and love to drink, but the alcohol/pot comparison is a losing argument, as alcohol will always come out looking way worse.

FyreWulff

Alcohol is among the most harmful drugs. It's entirely arbitrary that it's legal and others are not.

One of the few drugs that likely to actually kill you if you try to stop it cold turkey if you're abusing it.

I have a relative that works in detox. Some of the drugs that people think as "harder"? Yeah, you'll feel like you're about to die when they stop you cold turkey on it, but you won't. It won't be fun, but you won't die.

Alcohol? Nope. It'll kill your ass.

And it's the legal one.

KtSlime

2) It's liquid.

What about acid. You can take thousands of doses in a lifetime and never get as close to it being an addiction as you can with alcohol. It is also sometimes a liquid.

PS: I can smell when someone has been drinking alcohol, it stenches up the whole place, I've also had a drunk person piss on my rug. Zero effect is a bit of an exaggeration.

What about acid. You can take thousands of doses in a lifetime and never get as close to it being an addiction as you can with alcohol. It is also sometimes a liquid.

PS: I can smell when someone has been drinking alcohol, it stenches up the whole place, I've also had a drunk person piss on my rug. Zero effect is a bit of an exaggeration.

Im sorry, I didnt realize we were having this debate in the 70s.

Can you get drunk off someones breath?

Does that smell fill up an entire room like pot does?

KtSlime

Im sorry, I didnt realize we were having this debate in the 70s.

Can you get drunk off someones breath?

Does that smell fill up an entire room like pot does?

Haha, depends on how drunk they are.

Depends on what they ate.

There are a wide range of drugs with many different effects and delivery mechanisms, each has to be evaluated individually. It's not just on one end you have alcohol and on the other you have all the big bad drugs, they all are different, and they all have a different effect/cost on society.

Haha, depends on how drunk they are.

Depends on what they ate.

There are a wide range of drugs with many different effects and delivery mechanisms, each has to be evaluated individually. It's not just on one end you have alcohol and on the other you have all the big bad drugs, they all are different, and they all have a different effect/cost on society.

true. alcohol has a lot of negatives. Cocaine and heroin have a lot of negatives. Pot has some as well, though less than both. (when's the last time you heard of "pot drivers" being an epidemic? when's the last time a stoner gave himself pot poisoning, threw up all over you, and had to be taken to the hospital to avoid dying?)

Almost done with my Drone article. lol it's a mess. I veered off left and right. I guess the debate surrounding it is crazy as well so in the end I hope it makes some sense.

GhaleonEB

One can consume alcohol in a crowded room with zero effect on everyone around them.

Smoking pot, on the other hand, involves smoking - something the western world is trying to phase out. If you light up, everyone around you has to deal with the stench and the possible side effects.
As a non-drinker, people who have been drinking and enter a room do stink the place up.

The impact of alcohol on both the individual and to society as a whole are enormous. I think you are underestimating that simply because it's accepted.

Not advocating for drug legalization or alcohol being banned. But I think you need to look at alcohol in context of other drugs.

Well, here's mine. Although I'm not sure this is a conservative issue, it's something I can see a lot of conservatives agreeing with me. It concerns the role of Spanish in the US, and how it seems that a large number of immigrants aren't learning English. Therefore I support such policies as English as a national language and federal funding for English-learning schools/programs. Here are some caveats that I am aware of:

1. I've seen studies, and PEW polling, that second and third generation children of immigrants adoption of English happens.
2. That many immigrants are poor and cannot afford or find the time to learn English. Though that didn't stop previous generations of immigrants from learning English.

I remember cringing at that bilingual speech during the DNC. I'm hoping for some good English-language laws in Obama's proposal and during the upcoming immigration reform brawl.

Well, here's mine. Although I'm not sure this is a conservative issue, it's something I can see a lot of conservatives agreeing with me. It concerns the role of Spanish in the US, and how it seems that a large number of immigrants aren't learning English. Therefore I support such policies as English as a national language and federal funding for English-learning schools/programs. Here are some caveats that I am aware of:

1. I've seen studies, and PEW polling, that second and third generation children of immigrants adoption of English happens.
2. That many immigrants are poor and cannot afford or find the time to learn English. Though that didn't stop previous generations of immigrants from learning English.

I remember cringing at that bilingual speech during the DNC. I'm hoping for some good English-language laws in Obama's proposal and during the upcoming immigration reform brawl.

This one is interesting- though i agree that everyone being required to speak english would make MY life a lot easier, it's also my understanding that the US is unusual in western nations in that it's citizens are almost completely ignorant of foreign languages to a fault.

Spanish is the #4 most spoken language in the world (english is #2, behind mandarin and ahead of hindustani) so it's not like making an effort for americans to be bilingual wouldn't have utility- think of the business and tourism that could be done with latin america, if the language barrier wasn't an issue.

This is one of those things that's probably good to change in the long run. Bilingualism isn't always a bad thing- and on a related note: get us on the metric system already.

true. alcohol has a lot of negatives. Cocaine and heroin have a lot of negatives. Pot has some as well, though less than both. (when's the last time you heard of "pot drivers" being an epidemic? when's the last time a stoner gave himself pot poisoning, threw up all over you, and had to be taken to the hospital to avoid dying?)

Actually, its a very serious problem but theres no "breathalyzer" style test available.

As a non-drinker, people who have been drinking and enter a room do stink the place up.

The impact of alcohol on both the individual and to society as a whole are enormous. I think you are underestimating that simply because it's accepted.

Not advocating for drug legalization or alcohol being banned. But I think you need to look at alcohol in context of other drugs.

Im looking at it in terms of I can go to a bar with 500 people drinking and leave sober and smelling peachy.

Try that at a pot cafe with 500 people.

And your proposal for Puerto Rico and Guam is....? (Federally funded schools where english is the second foreign language)

And do you think maybe the immigrants arent learning spanish not because they dont want to - but because they cant fit it into their 12 hour workday and $7.25 an hour budget?

You argue that previous generations DID learn english. Really? Youre telling me there arent 75 year old polish men who lives in the US for 50 years that dont know english above the 1st grade level? Ever been to chinatown?

I find that statement ignorant and without factual basis.

kingkitty

Pot is less harmful than alcohol.

lol, if alcohol was banned, people would just go to a speakeasy, or get a prescription of medicinal alcohol.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
For those of you who say that drugs like meth and heroine are destructive to families, what should the law be regarding drugs like those?

Actually, its a very serious problem but theres no "breathalyzer" style test available.

From the CDC:

...In 2010, 10,228 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.... Drugs other than alcohol (e.g., marijuana and cocaine) are involved in about 18% of motor vehicle driver deaths. These other drugs are often used in combination with alcohol

So alcohol related accidents are responsible for nearly twice the vehicular related accidents as every other drug put together and those accidents were frequently "other drugs" in combination with alcohol. In terms of driving hazards, alcohol is far and away more of a problem than any other controlled substance. Combined.

Im looking at it in terms of I can go to a bar with 500 people drinking and leave sober and smelling peachy.

Try that at a pot cafe with 500 people.

1.) Again, pot can be eaten. there are plenty of pot cafes where one can eat a brownie, and "smell" isn't an issue.

2.) The smell issue is just as valid when you consider tobacco. Go into a bar that allows smoking, and you'll come out in an hour smelling like you were just in a house fire. States that ban indoor smoking (PA does) would likely also ban indoor pot smoking, and this ceases to be an issue.

You argue that previous generations DID learn english. Really? Youre telling me there arent 75 year old polish men who lives in the US for 50 years that dont know english above the 1st grade level? Ever been to chinatown?

I find that statement ignorant and without factual basis.

This at least I agree with you here.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why would you go to a pot bar if you don't like the smell??

I know this has nothing to do with anything, but your remark reminded me of when I was taking the SATs. Before the proctor came in some kid was sitting in the back smoking like the strongest shit you have ever heard of. Everyone in the room had a contact high during the test, looking back it was funny but it wasn't at the time.

From the CDC:

So alcohol related accidents are responsible for nearly twice the vehicular related accidents as every other drug put together and those accidents were frequently "other drugs" in combination with alcohol. In terms of driving hazards, alcohol is far and away more of a problem than any other controlled substance. Combined.

If theres no easy way to test for the drug, then how can there be any stats on the total number of drug-impaired drivers?

For deaths, an autopsy can be conducted, but if not....?

1.) Again, pot can be eaten. there are plenty of pot cafes where one can eat a brownie, and "smell" isn't an issue.

And Ive no problem with that. Except thats not how most pot users consumer their drug.

2.) The smell issue is just as valid when you consider tobacco. Go into a bar that allows smoking, and you'll come out in an hour smelling like you were just in a house fire. States that ban indoor smoking (PA does) would likely also ban indoor pot smoking, and this ceases to be an issue.

As I said, most of the west is moving to ban indoor smoking....

But I disagree with your last point.

Ever been to an indoor concert? No smoking allowed.

Ive never seen anyone light up a cigar, pipe, or tobacco cigarette.....

But marijuana? Its like many pot users have this enormous sense of entitlement where they feel they can break as many laws as needed, and inconvenience as many people around them as possible all so that THEY can chemically alter their brain to have fun.

I've yet to go to a concert where responsible pot users pull out brownies.

Alcoholics smell like shit.

As do potheads who dont bathe. Thats besides the point. Pouring a vodka tonic wont fill a large room with a repugnant stench.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So some idiot friend of my mother's is saying that under Obamacare, homeless people will be thrown in jail because they can't pay the tax. Then he complained that his wife will have to pay more because she's overweight and smokes.

I'm just about ready to stop visiting my mom.

Chichikov

But marijuana? Its like many pot users have this enormous sense of entitlement where they feel they can break as many laws as needed, and inconvenience as many people around them as possible all so that THEY can chemically alter their brain to have fun.
Yes, that's exactly why people smoke pot inside concerts, because they get off at inconveniencing people and "feel entitled to break as many laws as possible", not because if they smoke in the designated area they'll get busted.

Authoritarians scares the shit out me.

Yes, that's exactly why people smoke pot inside concerts, because they get off at inconveniencing people and "feel entitled to break as many laws as possible", not because if they smoke in the designated area they'll get busted.

Authoritarians scares the shit out me.

Again, they could bring brownies. But they dont.

If theres no easy way to test for the drug, then how can there be any stats on the total number of drug-impaired drivers?

And Ive no problem with that. Except thats not how most pot users consumer their drug.

But I disagree with your last point.

As do potheads who dont bathe. Thats besides the point. Pouring a vodka tonic wont fill a large room with a repugnant stench.
Then it sounds like your problem is more how people consume the drug than it is the drug itself.

Sorry but if you want to compare the negatives of alcohol vs. marijuana, alcohol is going to lose every time. Pot culture can be annoying but I have several friends who smoke pot and are perfectly courteous and respectful about it - they keep it in private places and don't light up if they know someone won't like it. On the other hand, give someone a few drinks and they will always become a raging asshole. Perhaps that just reflects that one is legal and one isn't, but booze has done a lot worse for this country than weed has.

Chichikov

Again, they could bring brownies. But they dont.
The only explanation you can come up with as to why people smoke in shows (as opposed as eating brownies) is that they get off pissing people and breaking the law?
You're arguing yourself into a corner, take a breath and try to reassess what you're saying.

Then it sounds like your problem is more how people consume the drug than it is the drug itself.

Sorry but if you want to compare the negatives of alcohol vs. marijuana, alcohol is going to lose every time. Pot culture can be annoying but I have several friends who smoke pot and are perfectly courteous and respectful about it - they keep it in private places and don't light up if they know someone won't like it. On the other hand, give someone a few drinks and they will always become a raging asshole.

Uhuh, really.

The only explanation you can come up with as to why people smoke in shows (as opposed as eating brownies) is that they get off pissing people and breaking the law?
You're arguing yourself into a corner, take a breath and try to reassess what you're saying.

No, I didnt say they enjoy screwing people over, theyre just too entitled and selfish to care about the consequences. Take a breath and read it again.

uh, a standard piss test or blood test will tell you if someone has been smoking marijuana. it just stays in your system longer, so its hard to tell how long ago someone was smoking. up to a month, but not usually longer than two weeks. Blood tests are ALWAYS taken at accidents where the driver is suspected to be under the influence.

cocaine will show up for about 2 days, IIRC.

Alcohol on the other hand, usually only shows up for a couple of hours, despite there being evidence that hung over drivers are nearly as much of a hazard as actively drunk drivers. So the 18% estimate on "other drugs" is likely HIGHER than reality, and the 31% estimate on alcohol is lower.

how would you know? did you take a survey? Smoking might be prevalent because it's currently the most convenient delivery system. Being able to pick up a marijuana hersheys at the 7-11 might change things.

There's this thing called "outdoor smoking."

yes, I have, and yes i have seen people smoke cigarettes. are you crazy? cigarette smokers dont give a crap about rules- but its easier to enforce those rules the smaller the venue is. a restaurant and a cafe and an indoor concert venue are two completely different things.

you don't seem to like them period, so I doubt you know many. But currently pot brownies would have to be made by the user and this is time consuming. not everyone has a couple of hours to bake them. Change the laws regarding selling pre packaged food, and this might change. Again, there are places where this is legal, and those are very popular.

you seem to be unaware that alcohol alters the body chemistry, literally causing alcoholics to "stink" in some cases. It's not pleasant.

uh, a standard piss test or blood test will tell you if someone has been smoking marijuana. it just stays in your system longer, so its hard to tell how long ago someone was smoking. up to a month, but not usually longer than two weeks. Blood tests are ALWAYS taken at accidents where the driver is suspected to be under the influence.

cocaine will show up for about 2 days, IIRC.

Alcohol on the other hand, usually only shows up for a couple of hours, despite there being evidence that hung over drivers are nearly as much of a hazard as actively drunk drivers. So the 18% estimate on "other drugs" is likely HIGHER than reality, and the 31% estimate on alcohol is lower.

If theres a non fatal accident, the cop will pull out the breathlyzer - not a pee cup or a blood extractor.

They also dont pull up cell records which is a big problem too.

Im not arguing that alcohol isnt a big fucking deal with road collisions - Im just saying other drugs (including legal prescription drugs) may be under reported.

how would you know? did you take a survey? Smoking might be prevalent because it's currently the most convenient delivery system. Being able to pick up a marijuana hersheys at the 7-11 might change things.

Oh please. Being social is all I need to realize that in the US, pot brownie consumption is less than pot smoking consumption.

There's this thing called "outdoor smoking."

There is. Which is also a big problem. If I cant open my window because some burnout is spending all day smoking on his porch than Im terribly inconvenienced.

yes, I have, and yes i have seen people smoke cigarettes. are you crazy? cigarette smokers dont give a crap about rules- but its easier to enforce those rules the smaller the venue is. a restaurant and a cafe and an indoor concert venue are two completely different things.

I go to a shit ton of concerts, from 50 people capacity to 50,000. People simply dont light up cigarettes indoors because they understand it's illegal and an inconvenience?

But pot? Every fucking time.

you don't seem to like them period, so I doubt you know many. But currently pot brownies would have to be made by the user and this is time consuming. not everyone has a couple of hours to bake them. Change the laws regarding selling pre packaged food, and this might change. Again, there are places where this is legal, and those are very popular.

Oh boohoo, getting high requires 45 minutes in the oven. Woe is you.

you seem to be unaware that alcohol alters the body chemistry, literally causing alcoholics to "stink" in some cases. It's not pleasant.

And have you seen what meth does to teeth?

Most of this discussion is centered around casual users, not addicts. Pot addicts also have a nasty musk to them.

Chichikov

No, I didnt say they enjoy screwing people over, theyre just too entitled and selfish to care about the consequences. Take a breath and read it again.
That's one way of looking at it.
Most people I know who smoke at shows (I generally don't, but that's mostly because is don't want the venue to get slapped with fines because of me) don't think it bothers people, and at least in the places I go to, there're mostly right.
They may be wrong I their assessment, but I promise you the absolute majority of pot smokers try to accommodate non smokers and most assuredly have no intention of screwing them over.
You on the other hand, seem to care about smokers much less than someone like me (who smoked pretty much all of his adult life) care about someone like you, so who is really the selfish side here?

That's one way of looking at it.
Most people I know who smoke at shows (I generally don't, but that's mostly because is don't want the venue to get slapped with fines because of me) don't think it bothers people, and at least in the places I go to, there're mostly right.
They may be wrong I their assessment, but I promise you the absolute majority of pot smokers try to accommodate non smokers and most assuredly have no intention of screwing them over.
You on the other hand, seem to care about smokers much less than someone like me (who smoked pretty much all of his adult life) care about someone like you, so who is really the selfish side here?

Dont think it bothers people? Thats the problem right there, theyre not thinking. Theyre too busy getting high. Would you seriously argue that at a cocnert, your typical pot smoker takes a poll of everyone in a 20 foot radius to see if theyre ok with them breaking indoor smoking laws?

I have no idea what the last line means.

If theres a non fatal accident, the cop will pull out the breathlyzer - not a pee cup or a blood extractor.

They also dont pull up cell records which is a big problem too.

Im not arguing that alcohol isnt a big fucking deal with road collisions - Im just saying other drugs (including legal prescription drugs) may be under reported.

and I'm saying you're incorrect. Passing the breathalyzer isn't a get out of jail free card. If you fail one OR you fail a "road test" (touch your nose, walk this line, let me see your pupils, etc) to determine sobriety (cops use both) then you will be taken in and forced to take a blood test, which will show any narcotics you've taken in the last 2 weeks, depending on the drug.

On the other hand, if you're hung over and cause an accident as a result then there's not a lot cops can do. Alcohol won't show on the breathalyzer, and a blood test will show you well under the legal limit (if not zero). Alcohol in this case is far more likely to be under reported than narcotics.

and I'm saying you're incorrect. Passing the breathalyzer isn't a get out of jail free card. If you fail one OR you fail a "road test" (touch your nose, walk this line, let me see your pupils, etc) to determine sobriety (cops use both) then you will be taken in and forced to take a blood test, which will show any narcotics you've taken in the last 2 weeks, depending on the drug.

On the other hand, if you're hung over and cause an accident as a result then there's not a lot cops can do. Alcohol won't show on the breathalyzer, and a blood test will show you well under the legal limit (if not zero). Alcohol in this case is far more likely to be under reported than narcotics.

That varies by state BTW.

You get the same problem with tired driving. Impossible to test for.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well for anyone curious why Palin's no longer at Fox, it seems we got an answer:

“Fox News offered Sarah Palin a new contract before she decided to part ways with the network where she has held forth as a commentator for the last three years.

“However, it would be hard to describe it as a generous contract….

“The new contract offered by Fox, say people familiar with the situation, would have provided only a fraction of the million-dollar-a-year salary.
It was then, they say, that Palin turned it down and both sides agreed to call it quits.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2013/0126/Why-Fox-News-dropped-Sarah-Palin/(page)/2

Sucks for Palin, but hey, the markets have spoken!

That varies by state BTW.

You get the same problem with tired driving. Impossible to test for.

I'm speaking of my state, since I can't speak for all 50.

Tired driving is indeed impossible to test for, but it doesn't have one distinct cause.
Hung over driving is a direct result of alcohol consumption, cannot be tested for, and is estimated to be just as detrimental to your driving ability as drunk driving is.

you can't ignore the possibility when arguing that "other drugs" might be under reported, when alcohol clearly is.

edit:

While it should be obvious that all of these symptoms will affect a driver's ability, a recent study by Brunel University in England on the effects of driving while hungover revealed some interesting data. The study's subjects were observed driving a five-mile course in driving simulators while sober and while experiencing the effects of a hangover. When comparing the two tests, it was found that:
•Hungover drivers drove an average of 10 mph faster.
•The average speed for sober drivers was 32.6 mph but rose to 41.7 mph for hungover drivers.
•Hungover drivers drove above the speed limit 26% of the time compared to only 6.3% of the time while sober.
•Hungover drivers left their lane four times as often as sober drivers.
•Hungover drivers committed double the number of traffic violations, such as running red lights.
•Traffic violations rose from an average of 3.9 for sober drivers to 8.5 for hungover drivers.

http://alerts.nationalsafetycommission.com/2009/06/hazards-of-driving-with-hangover.php

The above data points out that the effect of driving with a hangover is actually worse than the effects from driving under the influence of marijuana.

Chichikov

Dont think it bothers people?
Not around here, not in the places I go to.
I'm sure some people are bothered, people are bothered by many things, but if you try to smoke a cigarette in a show or film it with an ipad people will shut you down pretty damn quickly, if you smoke a joint, they usually just ask for a drag.
What makes you think people hate it so much?
I mean, it's beyond easy to shut it down if you wanted.

I have no idea what the last line means.
You want to never smell pot in shows.
People want to smoke pot at shows.

You seem to value your want infinitely higher than other people wants, and I think that's a sign of selfishness and entitlement, the very things you accuse pot smokers of.

You want to never smell pot in shows.
People want to smoke pot at shows.

You seem to value your want infinitely higher than other people wants, and I think that's a sign of selfishness and entitlement, the very things you accuse pot smokers of.

Thats what youre going to go with, really?

Freedom to inconvenience (and give a contact high) to others > Freedom of not being inconvenienced (and not receiving a contact high).

I hope youre just joking.

I'm speaking of my state, since I can't speak for all 50.

Tired driving is indeed impossible to test for, but it doesn't have one distinct cause.
Hung over driving is a direct result of alcohol consumption, cannot be tested for, and is estimated to be just as detrimental to your driving ability as drunk driving is.

you can't ignore the possibility when arguing that "other drugs" might be under reported, when alcohol clearly is.

edit:

http://alerts.nationalsafetycommission.com/2009/06/hazards-of-driving-with-hangover.php

The above data points out that the effect of driving with a hangover is actually worse than the effects from driving under the influence of marijuana.

Then it's agreed. We must ban driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom