• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying college should be 64-80 credits, instead of 128 (or whatever it is, I've been away from college for 20 years).

How is college not career training? Yes, many people switch majors, and psychology degrees are nigh useless, but for people who do know what they want to do, it shouldn't have 2 years of extraneous, expensive learning added to it.

College is not career training. Vocational schools, apprenticeships, and internships are career training.

College is brain training. It's life training.

Not much that I learned in coursework in college has been applicable to my career. Yet I could not succeed in my career without college because it taught me non-academic, non-career-specific skills.

Self study. Responsibility. Critical thinking. A broad, inter-disciplinary base of knowledge to draw from (for example, I took a class on mathematical models of biology which I never use in my practical life, but I've referenced information many times in discussion with others regarding virology, immunization, and zombie outbreaks). If you're looking at college as career training, you're wasting your time and money.

College is not career training and it shouldn't be. In many Asian countries, it still is and that is why the US will still be the champion in terms of IP creation for decades because we view college education as a process of discovery and not an on-rails shooter. It's why the world's best universities are in the US.

Facebook? Started in college.
Google? Started in college.
Youtube? Two of the three founders studied at the same program in college (networking: another huge reason for college)
Yahoo!? Started in college.

There is no career training for starting companies or creating new IP. There is no career training for creativity and discovery.

I'm saying college should be 64-80 credits, instead of 128 (or whatever it is, I've been away from college for 20 years).

How is college not career training? Yes, many people switch majors, and psychology degrees are nigh useless, but for people who do know what they want to do, it shouldn't have 2 years of extraneous, expensive learning added to it.

But that's not what college is. You are proposing a trade school. Trade schools are fine, but they aren't university. A university is where you go if you want to learn more than just a trade, i.e, if you want a liberal education.

codhand

51H8J53BR9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

brainwarshin

"Buy this book!" ―Michelle Malkin

What is gop's incentive with immigration reform? The legislation is bound to become part of Obama's legacy, not theirs. If I was gop I'd double down on scaring white people with words like amnesty. Atleast I will win in my gerrymandered district.

The puppet masters need cheap labor

To basically show hispanics that the GOP doesn't hate them. They could say "Hey, we helped pass immigration reform"
Pretty much. Since the election republican leaders have suggested immigration reform would take the "immigrant problem" off the table. Some are even more blatant, such as O'Reilly suggesting Hispanics just want "things" and perhaps they'd vote republican if given those things. They continue to argue Hispanics are natural conservatives, and will flock to the GOP once democrats aren't able to scare them. From that perspective, passing immigration reform makes sense to them. Then offering Rubio in 2016 is a continuation of their token strategy.

All republicans need is 40% of the Hispanic vote; Romney might have won if he had managed that. I think this move is a step in that direction, at least from the perspective of the GOP establishment. I tend to believe the results will favor democrats in the short term though, and secure Obama as a transformational president. Hispanics won't become a monolithic voting block like blacks, and eventually the GOP will reach them with a candidate. I don't see it happening in 2016 or 2020 though. They can't repair the damage they've done to their brand quickly.

This bill would pass the house right now IMO, but not before Steve King and others make an ugly display. And expect more border brinkmanship during the 2016 primaries.

College is not career training. Vocational schools, apprenticeships, and internships are career training.

College is brain training. It's life training.

Not much that I learned in coursework in college has been applicable to my career. Yet I could not succeed in my career without college because it taught me non-academic, non-career-specific skills.

Self study. Responsibility. Critical thinking. A broad, inter-disciplinary base of knowledge to draw from (for example, I took a class on mathematical models of biology which I never use in my practical life, but I've referenced information many times in discussion with others regarding virology, immunization, and zombie outbreaks). If you're looking at college as career training, you're wasting your time and money.

College is not career training and it shouldn't be. In many Asian countries, it still is and that is why the US will still be the champion in terms of IP creation for decades because we view college education as a process of discovery and not an on-rails shooter. It's why the world's best universities are in the US.

Facebook? Started in college.
Google? Started in college.
Youtube? Two of the three founders studied at the same program in college (networking: another huge reason for college)
Yahoo!? Started in college.

There is no career training for starting companies or creating new IP. There is no career training for creativity and discovery.

But that's not what college is. You are proposing a trade school. Trade schools are fine, but they aren't university. A university is where you go if you want to learn more than just a trade, i.e, if you want a liberal education.

I agree with these, but you don't need 4 years to learn those things. Having to go into debt an extra $40K just so you've read TS Eliot, can serve a volleyball, or have a greater knowledge of how the zombie apocalypse will spread seems like a poor personal investment.

I agree with these, but you don't need 4 years to learn those things. Having to go into debt an extra $40K just so you've read TS Eliot, can serve a volleyball, or have a greater knowledge of how the zombie apocalypse will spread seems like a poor personal investment.

Absolutely. That's why I'm arguing it should be free.

It was a joke, but the zombie apocalypse reference is to the model of the spread of infectious diseases and immunization strategies based on mathematical models. With these models, it's possible to determine what percentage of the population must be inoculated to effectively wipe out the disease (hint: it's not 100%). I never use this knowledge in my career, but intellect and knowledge go beyond one's career and reaches into one's daily life (i.e. debates about the ethics of immunization required for school admittance).

Sorry college didn't work out for you, but it's not meant to work out for everyone.

I would not trade my college experience for anything (okay, maybe a billion dollars -- but then I'd use that to go to college and get a graduate degree!), especially the relatively meager sum paid for tuition.

Absolutely. That's why I'm arguing it should be free.

Free is great, but it's still being paid for in some fashion. I'd say it's even less worthwhile to dick around for another 2 years in that case. I mentioned earlier I was in favor of compulsory military or civil service, and some of the lessons of college could be supplemented there, but I understand that's a controversial opinion and unlikely to ever happen.

It was a joke, but the zombie apocalypse reference is to the model of the spread of infectious diseases and immunization strategies based on mathematical models. With these models, it's possible to determine what percentage of the population must be inoculated to effectively wipe out the disease (hint: it's not 100%). I never use this knowledge in my career, but intellect and knowledge go beyond one's career and reaches into one's daily life (i.e. debates about the ethics of immunization required for school admittance).

Sorry college didn't work out for you, but it's not meant to work out for everyone.

I would not trade my college experience for anything (okay, maybe a billion dollars -- but then I'd use that to go to college and get a graduate degree!), especially the relatively meager sum paid for tuition.

I'm not disputing one learns lots of neat facts in college. And I enjoyed college a great deal (perhaps too much at certain points), but when my wife got a job I chose to follow her. An English degree would have very little to do with my success or failure as a writer.

I'm not arguing against college at all. I just think it doesn't need to be so expensive, and shortening the time it takes to earn a degree would help. One could still take as many extraneous classes as they wanted, but the student who wanted to earn a degree in their field without taking an elective 19th Century French Poetry class wouldn't be punished for it.

pigeon

Banned
Here's the sentence I have the most doubt about in the immigration proposal:

"Due to the utmost importance in our nation maintaining the safety of its food supply, agricultural workers who commit to the long term stability of our nation's agricultural industries will be treated differently than the rest of the undocumented population." (backpat to wonkblog for the quote)

This is a huge fucking minefield. "Commit" and "long term" are pretty direct code words for "you have to lock in to working for an agribusiness for several years, maybe even a decade, regardless of changing circumstances and the economic climate." This is literally the plot of The Grapes of Wrath. It's also a big element in sex slavery operations that prey on illegal immigrants now! This needs very careful attention to make sure it doesn't turn into a legalized indentured servitude structure.

Yup, the fix is in. I think they recognize it has to pass. This all seems to come out of a calculation that passing reform, then nominating Rubio will guarantee Hispanic support and thus the White House. Good luck with that
One can even hope for a conservative revolt in 2014 that makes certain Republican-held seats (Maine, Kentucky, Georgia) attainable.

RDreamer

Here's the sentence I have the most doubt about in the immigration proposal:

"Due to the utmost importance in our nation maintaining the safety of its food supply, agricultural workers who commit to the long term stability of our nation's agricultural industries will be treated differently than the rest of the undocumented population." (backpat to wonkblog for the quote)

This is a huge fucking minefield. "Commit" and "long term" are pretty direct code words for "you have to lock in to working for an agribusiness for several years, maybe even a decade, regardless of changing circumstances and the economic climate." This is literally the plot of The Grapes of Wrath. It's also a big element in sex slavery operations that prey on illegal immigrants now! This needs very careful attention to make sure it doesn't turn into a legalized indentured servitude structure.

Isn't there also a ton of stuff like that happening in the building of places like Dubai?

Al-ibn Kermit

You learn a lot if essential skills with general ed classes. Plus it keeps you from being burned out when all your other classes are major requirements.

A better idea would be to make the last 2-3 years of high school be a bit more specialized to what you think you want to do. A lot of people enter college with essentially useless math, science, and even writing skills.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I read some really horrendous articles on it a while back, too.

It's only in a few places like the UAE though, most places that would do it either aren't rich enough to afford it or if they are rich enough they have laws against such a thing.

One can even hope for a conservative revolt in 2014 that makes certain Republican-held seats (Maine, Kentucky, Georgia) attainable.

You're right. Between the "tax raise" and potential immigration votes (plus debt ceiling), lots of republicans will be primary'd for their "liberal" votes.

PoliGAF, help a girl out. I'm taking a course on Congress this semester, and today my teacher announced a Congressional ad contest. I'm supposed to find the best Congressional ad I can of the 2012 campaign, and submit it to the teacher. He'll select what he thinks are the best five, and from those, the class will select the best one. Winner gets five extra credit points added on to the final grade of his or her first test.

They can be funny, they can be so bad they're good, they can be the best at conveying their message to voters. Right now I can only think of the Debbie SpendItNow commercial. Anybody else remember any good ones?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
PoliGAF, help a girl out. I'm taking a course on Congress this semester, and today my teacher announced a Congressional ad contest. I'm supposed to find the best Congressional ad I can of the 2012 campaign, and submit it to the teacher. He'll select what he thinks are the best five, and from those, the class will select the best one. Winner gets five extra credit points added on to the final grade of his or her first test.

They can be funny, they can be so bad they're good, they can be the best at conveying their message to voters. Right now I can only think of the Debbie SpendItNow commercial. Anybody else remember any good ones?

Oh man, you need to submit the awkward smoking/smile Cain ad!

RDreamer

The ones that first spring to mind are the anti-Tammy Baldwin ones. Ones like this one. Almost every single one of them uses that "Damn right!" clip. It was hilarious. People were joking about her swearing and stuff all over here.

They obviously didn't do their jobs, but they were memorable because of that lol

That wasn't congressional, but holy shit those were good.

Too bad Colbert's Super Pac didn't do congressional ads.

codhand

You're right. Between the "tax raise" and potential immigration votes (plus debt ceiling), lots of republicans will be primary'd for their "liberal" votes.

I think there was more to be mad at / look forward to, for Republican's in 2010, in 2014, if they're still mad about Obama, they need more help than elected officials would provide.

Community college. $20 a unit here in Los Angeles. Saved me a ton of money while still getting a quality education (most of the professors still taught classes at 4 year institutions).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

The immediate one that popped in my mind was the Demon Sheep thing, but that was back in 2010, sadly.

I'll think of some.

Oh god, I think that wins by a mile.

edit: oh you said congressional :/

My mind is full of fuck.

O_O

Chichikov

The college talk with the indoctrination angle in this thread is somewhat appropriate, cause I was planning on doing a post on DHP on this really fucking stupid article:

http://www.nature.com/news/science-must-be-seen-to-bridge-the-political-divide-1.12119
Just post a list of Republican members of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology and be done with it.
It should really clear any doubt anyone has on this issue.
My mind is full of fuck.

O_O
Why?
It makes prefect sense to stress that they're a girl if you're going to ask strangers on the internet to do your homework for you.
;)

Atlagev

This John Dennis Nancy Pelosi ad was pretty bizarre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEdKqbqCGnc

Why?
It makes prefect sense to stress that they're a girl if you're going to ask strangers on the internet to do your homework for you.
;)
EXPOSED!

Edit: And I don't know if it was a congressional add but there was one guy just walking through the woods and he had all kinds of props along the way. It might not have been as crazy or hilariously bad as others, but at the end of it I wanted to vote for him.

This John Dennis Nancy Pelosi ad was pretty bizarre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEdKqbqCGnc
God damn this is crazy... You simply DO NOT see this kind of shit around here. Politics in the US is a fucking gameshow even though these people determine much of what happens in the world.

Tim-E

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is this super cheesy Joe Manchin commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpTpz-9Ustw

The best congressional ad of 2012 was Michele Bachmann's.

It's the best because how it duped people into voting for "independent voice" in Congress. It's like Joseph McCarthy running an ad openly accepting communism platform for his party.

Cloudy

Banned
I guess the GOP was really shook by the Latino vote. Look at them rushing to get out in front of Obama on this. McCain is suddenly for a comprehensive plan again lol

white-nonwhite1.jpg

So here's the thing -- Mamba is right. The primary purpose of college is to prove to employers you can get through college. It's great that there are lots of oeople who still believe in college, but that doesn't make him wrong. The thing is that that's the big problem with college, because it creates an impressive set of perverse incentives when a college's value is measured by how difficult they make it to graduate. If anything, that process alone is probably responsible for most of the problems with college today -- just look at graduate school, where the same factors have been operating for longer and at a higher level. It's also why you see people who really believe in college get shellshocked when they graduate and are treated like every other card-puncher rather than like people who worked are at education.

I'm not sure it's possible to run the clock back -- I don't think we've ever been able to lower the expected level of education. But that's exactly why we need to formalize college, the way we formalized primary and secondary school, as something everybody goes to -- otherwise we'll get another permanent underclass situation where the only way to get a job that pays is to have enough money for college already. I say "get," but of course, this is already the situation for millions of Americans.

I'm fine with that but we have to fix the lower levels of education first. We can't just send everyone to college if we don't get them fixed at lower levels first. It'll just be a giant waste of resources.

hell, in this economy it's a waste. 40% of graduates get jobs that don't require a defree.

You guys are misunderstanding the missions of colleges. They, like the Fed, have a dual mandate: train students in a variety of subject matters so that they can analyze data from multiple viewpoints and to increase humanity's store of knowledge through research.

You focus on the first part and say it isn't worth what you paid for. That could be true depending on the cost of your tuition, but you did pick up valuable skills while in college. Some of those could be learning how to write thought provoking papers or how to deliver presentations. You also get exposed to a more multicultural society compared to one you have at a local high school. This allows for the challenging of ideas by other students and better prepares you for operating in a less homogeneous social setting than you are use to. College is about challenging its students to think logically and be more open to other ways of doing things. Do all get that benefit? Probably not.

The other area of the mandate, research, is probably of equal or more value than the instructing side of college. It all depends on how you look at it, but college is more than a diploma mill.

I am only speaking from the perspectives of students and employees. Universities have other functions than education like research. Research in immensely important to our economy and understanding of the everything.

FWIW, I never said something isn't worth what we pay for it. I'm just saying for students it's a signal for employers that they are high skilled workers.

Also, as I said, I loved college and it was the best time of my life. It's just we have to understand what it is at its core.

Free college for all should raise standards from now. Now colleges have a profit incentive to lower standards and let anyone in regardless of they should be there or would even do well there. And they have a profit incentive to keep them going throughout the program in order to keep getting money. With college's incentive on teaching people and testing capabilities, you could have higher standards. You'd effectively want only the better people making it through.

I don't understand how you've concluded free college raising standards. Why do colleges have an incentive to lower standards? Standards have been rising for decades. Universities are getting 10+ applications for every 1 open spot. IIRC the average GPA for the big 3 UCs is 4.3. The profit incentive of universities is exactly why they do this - better quality of student = better chance for success = more alma mater donations.

Currently, there is a shortage of universities (Demand exceeds Supply). In order to accommodate a free college for all mandate you'd have to build more universities and admit more people. This would lower standards quite obviously. It also has the adverse affect of leading more people to not even complete high school (as I posted earlier).

Now, if you want to argue that there should be no additional university access but only if once you are in university you are given it for free, that's why I suggested programs that pay you back as a solution.

Cost shouldn't be the barrier to entry into getting a good job in life. It should be ability and hard work.

I agree but the world isn't perfect. In society we have to get those with ability and good work ethic into the places that properly use them. It doesn't happen via magic. One of the solutions we've discovered of filtering out who are these people is through getting a degree and without a cost structure it is hard to filter. You have to find solutions to the real world.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Hudson had an anti Larry Kissell ad where he compared him to his own dog in a folksy way. The content itself was the usual conservative talking points though.

If 2008 was OK then Elizabeth Dole's Godless Americans ad definitely ranks as one of the more pivotal if not counterproductive ads.

Tim-E

Josh Green reports that a team of top Obama donors decided to surprise Hillary Clinton -- "and thank her for her loyal service" -- by raising enough money to pay off her 2008 campaign bills.

"The challenge was tougher than it may appear, since it required a particular kind of donor. In order not to run afoul of campaign finance laws, the Obama team had to find people who had not already given Clinton the 2008 maximum primary donation of $2,300 or maxed out their total federal candidate donations during the 2012 cycle ($46,200). And of course, those people also had to be warmly disposed toward Clinton and still have plenty of free cash on hand."

"In the end, it took the checkbooks of about 120 people and several months to retire the debt... And as it turned out, the Obama folks substantially overshot the mark. Clinton's campaign, which has not yet formally been shut down, now shows a surplus of about $205,000."

Anyone still doubt that she's going to run? Obama is paying off that Bill debt already. If I recall, the Obama team refused to pay down Hillary's debt following the 2008 campaign, so this is definitely a big move.

The nation’s most pressing fiscal issues would likely have been solved if Bill Clinton were president, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Sunday in a swipe at President Obama

“Look, if we had [a] Clinton presidency, if we had Erskine Bowles, chief of staff of the White House or president of the United States, I think we would have fixed this fiscal mess by now. That’s not the kind of presidency we’re dealing with right now,” Ryan said on NBC News’s “Meet The Press.”

Ryan also said he feels that Obama hasn’t signaled a desire to compromise. ”All of the statements and all of the comments lead me to believe that he’s thinking more of a political conquest than political compromise,” said Ryan.

The former Republican vice presidential nominee, who was spotted chatting with the former president and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at last week’s inauguration luncheon, said the three were “just kind of chumming it up.”

“We were talking about personal health,” Ryan said. “Both of us lost our dads when we were young and we were just talking. I got concussions when I was young and Hillary was talking about hers.”

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported in October 1998 that Ryan, then making his first run for Congress, called for Clinton’s resignation following the scandal surrounding the president’s relationship with Monica Lewinsky.

This fucking guy...

I really dislike him more than pretty much everyone right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom