• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Seeing those ads again has reminded me that I really don't think we'll ever see an election cycle as awesome as this last one was. Seriously, I don't think any crazy reality television can match what we all witnessed. With the Republican primaries and the Daily Show and Colbert riffs on it, it was all just wonderful. We surely won't ever get a cast like Perry, Gingrich, Santorum, HERMAN CAIN, and Bachman all trying to take out a rich douche that no one likes like Romney ever again. It just won't be the same :(

codhand

Bipartisan Group of Senators Agree to Rough Outline for Immigration Reform

The outline is based on four basic pillars.

Creating a tough pathway for citizenship for those immigrations currently in the country without documentation. This would be contingent upon “securing the borders.” People who came to the country as minors or to work in the agricultural sector will have different easier pathways to citizenship.
It would reform the legal immigration system to do things encourage more high skilled workers.
Create an effective employee verification system to reduce the incentive for illegal immigration in the future.
Improving the process for admitting low skill workers for things like the agricultural industry.

http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/20...gree-to-rough-outline-for-immigration-reform/

and everyone's current fave Christie
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) today vetoed an increase in the minimum wage that was passed by the state’s Democratic senate. Using what’s known as a “conditional veto,” Christie sent the bill back saying he would sign it if certain changes were made, including: shrinking the increase from $8.50 to $8.25 per hour, phasing it in over three years, and eliminating a provision tying the wage to inflation.

New Jersey’s current minimum wage stands at $7.25, so Christie’s veto, in essence, is saying that he believes a $1 increase in the wage over three years is sufficient. As the New Jersey Policy Perspective noted, “the first year increase proposed by the governor of 25 cents will be erased by inflation by the time the third year kicks in its 25 cents.” Here are more benefits that Christie denied to working New Jerseyans:

Jooney

Seeing those ads again has reminded me that I really don't think we'll ever see an election cycle as awesome as this last one was. Seriously, I don't think any crazy reality television can match what we all witnessed. With the Republican primaries and the Daily Show and Colbert riffs on it, it was all just wonderful. We surely won't ever get a cast like Perry, Gingrich, Santorum, HERMAN CAIN, and Bachman all trying to take out a rich douche that no one likes like Romney ever again. It just won't be the same :(

The best moment of the election was Jon Lithgow's dramatic reading of Newt Gingrinch's press release on the Colbert report.

http://m.gawker.com/5803805/

The stuff of legend!

RDreamer

lol, Scott Walker

Questions about gun control were on the mind of reporters when Gov. Scott Walker held a news conference in Madison on Jan. 10, 2013.

Reporters, including one from the Wall Street Journal, asked the first-term governor about the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, where 20 children and six adults were killed in December 2012 by a man with a semi-automatic weapon.

Did the carnage affect Walker’s stance on gun control?

The governor responded that a variety of factors, including the mental health of the perpetrator, need to be considered to prevent future tragic events such as Sandy Hook and the August 2012 shooting at the Sikh temple in Oak Creek.

Walker said too much attention is paid to the weapon in such shootings and cited a recent case as an example: "We just had someone last week in Neenah near a school kill someone with a bow and arrow."

He added that if gun control efforts are "just focused on the weapon, that gets away from the question of who are the people committing these heinous acts and what is it that’s happening that we’re not able to prevent them from doing that."

Walker has enjoyed considerable support from the National Rifle Association, and the group has given him an A-plus rating. His response to the gun control question was in line with groups fighting restrictions on guns: Don’t blame the weapons.

There was only one problem with Walker’s statement about the bow and arrow murder.

It never happened.

We asked Walker spokesman Cullen Werwie to explain the governor’s comment the day after he spoke. He responded three days later with this emailed statement:

"The Governor misspoke when he said someone was killed. I believe he was referring the recent standoff that involved a bow and arrow."

Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department Capt. David Mack provided the details, starting with the most important one: "No one got killed. I know because I was there."

In fact there were no serious injuries in the Jan. 3, 2013, domestic dispute in the Town of Clayton, located just west of Neenah.

According to Mack:

Authorities were called at 9:16 a.m. to a home after receiving reports of a disturbance between Shawn Coenen, 21, and his father.

During the dispute outside the house, "the son shot an arrow at the father, but the arrow did not strike the father," Mack said. Instead, it hit a vehicle.

Coenen was inside the house when authorities arrived. Initially, police weren’t certain that he was inside, so, as a precaution, they sent several officers to Clayton Elementary School, which is 2.5 miles away.

"The school was in session, and they were advised about the situation and placed in lockdown," Mack said.

Authorities determined that Coenen was in the house and were told by family members that there were a dozen firearms inside, but that the guns were locked in a gun cabinet. The SWAT team and crisis negotiators were called, and Coenen was arrested without incident at 1:22 p.m., Mack said.

Coenen faces three felony charges -- second degree reckless endangerment, failure to comply with an officer, and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Chichikov

Guys, the obvious answer is:

Now is the time for action!!

3093672_o.gif

I AM AMERICCAAAAAAAN

trollman-cain.gif

Dax, do it on this or any of his!
That's not even close to being the best Herman Cain ad.
Chicken!
Rabbit!

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
Yeah, that's what Zara said, but it never materialized.

kingkitty

I forgot the name of the ad but it showed the democrat as this liberal guy who traveled around the world trying to save humanity and who has an amazing education, while it showed the republican as this farmer lady whose greatest achievement is being a house wife and living on a farm.

And this ad was suppose to support the republican lol.

RDreamer

I forgot the name of the ad but it showed the democrat as this liberal guy who traveled around the world trying to save humanity and who has an amazing education, while it showed the republican as this farmer lady whose greatest achievement is being a house wife and living on a farm.

And this ad was suppose to support the republican lol.

This

Kos supports the senate deal despite some reservations, whereas Eric Erickson is fiercely opposed. Meanwhile more tea partiers are coming out the woodwork attacking the plan as amnesty but the house is working on a bipartisan plan of their own. Interesting.

Jooney

Kos supports the senate deal despite some reservations, whereas Eric Erickson is fiercely opposed. Meanwhile more tea partiers are coming out the woodwork attacking the plan as amnesty but the house is working on a bipartisan plan of their own. Interesting.

The GOP will eat itself alive over this, I can't imagine they can switch the party line on a dime. Going from "we need to build the border fence" to "path to full citizenship" will never be an easy transition, no matter how nicely Rubio dresses it up.

WTF?!

How can science be partisan? it seems to me that one party just rejects the results.

When the science doesn't go your way, consistently.

The GOP will eat itself alive over this, I can't imagine they can switch the party line on a dime. Going from "we need to build the border fence" to "path to full citizenship" will never be an easy transition, no matter how nicely Rubio dresses it up.
They'll fight and they'll pass it without the haster rule. That way the crazies can vote against it but it still gets passed.

Chichikov

Will GOP enthusiasm deflate in 2014 if any immigration bill is passed?
I'm pretty sure Obama is still going to be black even if they pass an immigration reform.

Seriously though, it's just about job security, the GOP thinks the best to get elected is by making sure the dems can't achieve anything. Until they're proven that it's a losing strategy, I can't imagine that they'll stop.

My first post on the blog is up

The Changing World and the Rise of Drones
Before we begin, you might be wondering where I stand on the issue. I understand the need for it, but I also understand its concerns. To say it is right or it is wrong will mean that I have the answers. I do not. I neither promote nor condemn it, because it is not a black and white issue with clear cut answers. I could think of ways to reduce its usage and make everyone happy in the process, but it’s not that easy. Every one of us should deeply think about its place in today’s warfare and come up with at least a little bit of understanding on its usage. My article seeks to do that by expounding on its use in today’s global political climate.

In the light UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights’ review of American Military’s usage of Drone strikes, I think it’s apt to understand why modern warfare has changed. The inquiry was sponsored by Russia, China and Pakistan.
Let me know what you guys think :) Put lot of thought in it.

Gotchaye

Will GOP enthusiasm deflate in 2014 if any immigration bill is passed?

Relative to 2010, sure. But that's not going to mean much unless Obama for America can drag a bunch of Democrats to the polls.

I do think a substantial number of hardline conservatives are just going to give up unless the Republican general election candidates are just insane. My bet is that they're feeling very betrayed, especially since they were never big on Romney to begin with. This sort of dissatisfaction with the establishment is what produced the Tea Party revolts in 2010, but the general electorate is not going to be nearly as willing to vote for crazy people to punish the Democrats in 2014. So I tend to think that lots of the congressional races are going to feature either a really crazy candidate with no support aside from the conservative fringe or a not-as-crazy candidate with no support from the conservative fringe. I doubt Democrats will take the House back, but I'd be surprised if they lose many seats, and they might gain some.

lednerg

Just wanted to go back a bit about Occupy and forgiving student loans, since that's where the discussion started. Sure, there were those who were very vocal about that, and they received plenty of coverage on the news, but what got lost is how it was about skyrocketing tuition costs in relation to average income - not the loans themselves. Like so much that happened in Occupy, the protests got turned into "these guys just want free shit" and summarily dismissed.

Chichikov

My first post on the blog is up

The Changing World and the Rise of Drones

Let me know what you guys think :) Put lot of thought in it.
I think you're missing the bigger pictures about drones by focusing only on their current use of assassinating terrorist.
Don't get me wrong, that's an important issue worth exploring, but when looking at the future of warfare, you need to consider what the rise of the robots really mean - that's the once again, rich countries are going to have the ability to wage war on poorer nation without a serious risk to its own soldiers.
It's not the first time in history that it happened, and white people have a terrible track record on that front.
Fear of casualties is what prevents most politicians from going to war, drones take that fear away.

Just wanted to go back a bit about Occupy and forgiving student loans, since that's where the discussion started. Sure, there were those who were very vocal about that, and they received plenty of coverage on the news, but what got lost is how it was about skyrocketing tuition costs in relation to average income - not the loans themselves. Like so much that happened in Occupy, the protests got turned into "these guys just want free shit" and summarily dismissed.

Pretty easy to do without a central mouthpiece and goal of the movement. I will always remember the Occupy protests as a wasted opportunity.

GhaleonEB

You can phrase this as, progressive Dems tenatively support it as it represents a compromise. Tea partiers are opposed as it represents a compromise. :lol

I'm already looking forward to the primaries. This is exactly the internal struggle within the GOP we expecting to see, as the tea partiers go further right and the sane folks in the GOP recognize the demographic time bomb is in the midst of going off.

Yeah. The GOP's recent, new found love for the Clintons these past 4-5 years is surreal. Now imagine when Hillary announces her intention to run in 2016. The inevitable 180 the GOP establishment will perform will truly be a sight to behold.

The Clinton love orgy by the GOP has been the thing that actually threw me for a loop. Didn't see it coming a few years ago.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
From Dave Weigel's twitter:

Lowry to Krauthammer: "Who's your favorite liberal columnist?" Krauthammer: "David Brooks."

Not sure if that's a snap or just bubble talk.

lednerg

Pretty easy to do without a central mouthpiece and goal of the movement. I will always remember the Occupy protests as a wasted opportunity.

The central mouthpiece, and the body which made up its goals, was the General Assembly. This basic concept was lost on the news, where they want to put a singular face on things so they can invite them on to argue with their pundits. The reality was, that it was a collection of different movements and viewpoints all aiming to find consensus.

What the real problem was, at least in the major cities, was the occupying itself. Rather than everyone going home and coming back for meetings and protests, they constantly had to deal with maintaining a 24/7 vigil. This presented all sorts of unnecessary logistical hurdles and interpersonal conflicts, all of which took up enormous sums of time and energy.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
WTF?!

How can science be partisan? it seems to me that one party just rejects the results.

From the article said:
To prevent science from continuing its worrying slide towards politicization, here’s a New Year’s resolution for scientists, especially in the United States: gain the confidence of people and politicians across the political spectrum by demonstrating that science is bipartisan.

How about politicians stop their worrying politicization of science?

Conservative talk radio personality Rush Limbaugh said on his show Monday that it was up to himself and the Fox News network to stop a bipartisan effort to pass immigration reform which would create a path to citizenship for the 11 million undocumented immigrants living in the United States.

"It's up to me and Fox News," Limbaugh said, "and I don't think Fox News is that invested in this."

He continued: "I don't think there's any Republican opposition to this of any majority consequence or size. We'll have to wait and see and find out. But this is one of those, just keep plugging away, plugging away, plugging away until you finally beat down the opposition."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/limbaugh-its-up-to-me-fox-news-to?ref=fpa

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Fox won't fan the flames. O'Reilly is on board, Hannity has said he supports some type of reform, obviously Murdoch supports immigration reform, etc.

But I'm curious. Right now the right wing is treating Rubio with kids gloves, letting him move them towards the center. If this process drags into the summer somehow and we see a return of tea party anger and resentment, will Rubio and other republicans hold firm or take the easy route out (ie blame Obama for partisanship and walk from the table).

Obama campaign helps Hillary pay off her 2008 debts

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-28/obamas-parting-gift-to-hillary-clinton

In order not to run afoul of campaign finance laws, the Obama team had to find people who had not already given Clinton the 2008 maximum primary donation of $2,300 or maxed out their total federal candidate donations during the 2012 cycle ($46,200). And of course, those people also had to be warmly disposed toward Clinton and still have plenty of free cash on hand.

Debt is paid off. Clinton now has a surplus of 200$

The central mouthpiece, and the body which made up its goals, was the General Assembly. This basic concept was lost on the news, where they want to put a singular face on things so they can invite them on to argue with their pundits. The reality was, that it was a collection of different movements and viewpoints all aiming to find consensus.

What the real problem was, at least in the major cities, was the occupying itself. Rather than everyone going home and coming back for meetings and protests, they constantly had to deal with maintaining a 24/7 vigil. This presented all sorts of unnecessary logistical hurdles and interpersonal conflicts, all of which took up enormous sums of time and energy.

The media's portrayal of the movement, the lack of ability for the movement to adapt and then it's eventual downfall are all a direct result of how disorganized the whole thing was. Because the movement was made up of many differing viewpoints the media was able to grab hold of a couple shitty ones and make them stick. Because they lacked a leader there was no person to say otherwise. Because they lacked a leader, their occupation style of protest never morphed into anything else. The whole thing was a giant clusterfuck. For a second Tea Party elements were trying to join in because they were against the bailout and fell withing the 99% the protesters were fighting for. The whole movement ended up being dismissed because of it's fractured nature.

I find the whole thing very sad too since at its heart, I agree with what it stood for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom