• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

This woman is crazy. How can you say that she wouldn't be adequately protected without an assault rifle? Becuase that exact person you said used a shotgun. BECAUSE IT HAPPENED.

How much are these groups paying this person? This person is damn crazy.

This lady is annoying as all get out. WE WOMEN ARE SO HELPLESS WE NEED 100-ROUND MAGAZINES TO DEFEND OURSELVES

Quote of the panel: "You are a large man." – Gayle Trotter to Sen. Whitehouse.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
True it's an oversimplification to be sure, but anything, anything would be better than these last two wars. It cannot be overstated how dumb they were.

Also though, Japan has awesome trains. I want them here. Especially to replace the NE clusterfuck of train system we have now
Haha, yeah, and America has the benefit of needing a ton of resources just to keep our current configuration going. Figuring out where to best allocate infrastructure resources is really easy right now.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
An assault weapon ban would have little impact on anything.
I wouldn't mind seeing it just for the sake of putting the gun lobby and overzealous gun advocates back on their heels. I don't think it's necessarily needed from a practical perspective but, from a political perspective, I'm tired of gun fetishists somehow always being granted control of the narrative with their sheer paranoia, complete lack of empathy and no sense of balance. AWB wouldn't be the end of the world, it's not a slippery slope, get over it.

Chichikov

You sure about the bolded? You have a link to this list?
A link to what?
You can't buy an m60, you can't buy an m16, you can't buy browning 50 cal, "assault weapon" is not a technical definition.
We limit your ability to purchase weapons in much more meaningful ways than anything that was ever suggested in relation to the assault rifles ban.

RDreamer

Hah, had an interesting conversation with my boss here. It started when talking about my future job prospects (I'm a temp part time at this job), and I was talking about some studies saying that people who graduate into recessions lose upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of salary because they lose the ability to hop from job to job in the beginning.

Anyway, he said everyone got squeezed... except government employees. I responded that they were squeezed, too, but even if you didn't believe they were we really shouldn't be cheering for them to be, since that affects our GDP. If you squeeze them more then there's less potential profit for your company to gobble up. He didn't understand my explanations and said he'd never cut output because government employees were getting less. I told him yes you would if the overall economic outlook was worse, which it would be if you took out aggregate spending on all government employees. I then gave him a concrete example. I knew he did business with military contractors and even the military. I said now look, if they spent less, you'd have less to profit from, right?

He then started mumbling about how military and the government weren't the same... oh, well they are, but military is the only thing government can do right, lol. Then he started in on Obama wants to cut military but increase the size of government. Then he just decided to agree to disagree.

It was kind of funny seeing his worldview crash and burn a bit. He really didn't grasp what I was saying at all, and what pieces he did grasp he really had a hard time piecing it in.

He also threw out something about "Imagine how many employees you'd have to have per every government employee to pay for it." Yeah, that's not how it works, dude, lol.

It's really quite wondrous overall, since they do a lot of business with government facilities, and their product is a safety thing. Companies get it in order to comply with safety standards. Also, their product was invented by the goddamned French! Why they're so conservative is beyond me.

National Review: "Hispanics aren't Real Americans (tm)" also some casual racism
"While many are in business for themselves, they express hostile attitudes toward free enterprise in polls,""They are disproportionately low-income and disproportionately likely to receive some form of government support. More than half of Hispanic births are out of wedlock. Take away the Spanish surname and Latino voters look a great deal like many other Democratic constituencies."
"Unless we mean to legalize every illegal in the country — including violent felons, gang members, cartel henchmen, and the like — there will be of necessity a system for sorting them out."

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/339184/pointless-amnesty-editors?pg=1

Guns don't effect people

GhaleonEB

Don't over think the GDP contraction -- military spending fell 22% in the last quarter. Yes, 22%. Given that, a 0.1% contraction is great news for the rest of the economy. This should clarify why the sequester is a real bad idea, though.

Also, revisions.

Yup. There was a lot of good news in the report, I heard on NPR the details showed income growth, though I have not had time to dig in yet.

Magni

hopium: http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2013/01/the-tectonic-impact-of-obamas-re-election.html

fxCWpns.png

Obama's approval ratings

Guys did you know Obama single handedly stoped the previous imigration bill? Lets hope he doesn''t stand in the way of good hearted republicans this time!

Guys did you know Obama single handedly stoped the previous imigration bill? Lets hope he doesn''t stand in the way of good hearted republicans this time!

I saw someone on Fox News the other night try to claim that the last bill was stopped by Obama alone.

hilarious stuff.

With the exception of property taxes, which came in at $14 million less than projected, the city’s revenue was greater than expected in all categories last year, including a $27 million surplus from traffic fines, and $68 million more from sales taxes. Estate tax revenue was $53 million greater than expected, with $50 million of that sum coming from collections on one deceased individual’s wealth. Multiple city officials said they were not permitted to identify the deceased person.

http://dcist.com/2013/01/dc_announces_417_million_surplus_to.php

Daaaaaaaaamn

codhand

Israeli airstrike hit Syrian military targets reportedly carrying weapons headed for Lebanon
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/30/world/meast/israel-syria-strike/index.html?hpt=wo_c2

Fighter jets struck the vehicles because they were carrying SA-17 missile parts, a Russian-made medium-range delivery system, and equipment that could have been employed in an attack against Israel, another source told CNN.
But Damascus said the strike had instead targeted a research facility near the Syrian capital.

KtSlime

The rise of 2nd amendment popularity came from marketing by a gun manufacturer at the end of the 19th century.

A marketing ploy just to sell more produ and it change the interpretation of the 2nd amendment

I'm pretty sure America's love of the second amendment and guns in general predates the founding of the country and seems to have ties to protestants gaining the 'right' retain guns and to defend themselves in Britain. Although I have no doubt gun manufacturers want to paint owning a gun in the best light possible, and has marketed itself extensively.

Frankly, I think the 2nd amendment is detrimental to the sustained health of the nation. It was a stupid and pointless right when it was added, and will only get more pointless as technology advances.

Magni

I'm pretty sure America's love of the second amendment and guns in general predates the founding of the country and seems to have ties to protestants gaining the 'right' retain guns and to defend themselves in Britain. Although I have no doubt gun manufacturers want to paint owning a gun in the best light possible, and has marketed itself extensively.

Frankly, I think the 2nd amendment is detrimental to the sustained health of the nation. It was a stupid and pointless right when it was added, and will only get more pointless as technology advances.

I really need to finish my DHP post on the second amendment and the stupidity of DC v Heller, but I have so much work :(

Wow, Stevens opinion on District of Columbia v Heller is a great read.

Just read it over myself. To summarize:

*multiple pages of wrecking Scalia's shit with facts...aww snap, that's how you do historical analysis of the Framers' intent...English muthafucka, do you speak it...militias, militias, militias...why the hell are you just making shit up about hunting and self-defense out of thin air, Scalia...

"...For these reasons, I respectfully dissent."

*multiple pages of wrecking Scalia's shit with facts...aww snap, that's how you do historical analysis of the Framers' intent...English muthafucka, do you speak it...militias, militias, militias...why the hell are you just making shit up about hunting and self-defense out of thin air, Scalia...

lol great summary.

Bolded the best part of the argument. There is NOTHING about self defense or hunting in the consitution. That is a common law thing and a very respectable thing but its not in the constitution. That can be the bases for laws but it doesn't preclude states from limiting weapons.

I've read Scalia's decision, and a summary of Stevens dissent and I have to completely disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom