• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLEABttn

Banned
Isn't the sequester just cutting the rate of growth in spending rather than actual spending it self?

You're still taking $82 billion out of this year.

There's already sort of a pre-shit storm currently going on in contracting. Government agencies, not knowing how much their budgets will be cut, have scaled back funding of things that may well be able to afford because they have no idea if they actually can or not next year. Any defense spending cuts associated with the sequester likely won't be evenly distributed so agencies aren't afraid of a single or low double digit percentage cut to their budgets, they're afraid that their department will be gutted while another department gets what used to be their funding.

This is also why defense contractors are making noise because it won't affect them all equally. Maybe LM makes due okay but L-3's contracts all get cancelled. Nobody knows because nobody knows the specifics of where the cuts are.

Reference to an episode maybe halfway through the season.

Oh. I've only watched the first episode, but I'm finding it hard to take any of the events within the show seriously because I keep picturing James Clyburn trying to do what Spacey's doing. And I keep giggling to myself.

There's already sort of a pre-shit storm currently going on in contracting. Government agencies, not knowing how much their budgets will be cut, have scaled back funding of things that may well be able to afford because they have no idea if they actually can or not next year. Any defense spending cuts associated with the sequester likely won't be evenly distributed so agencies aren't afraid of a single or low double digit percentage cut to their budgets, they're afraid that their department will be gutted while another department gets what used to be their funding.

This is also why defense contractors are making noise because it won't affect them all equally. Maybe LM makes due okay but L-3's contracts all get cancelled. Nobody knows because nobody knows the specifics of where the cuts are.

Sounds even better. Even cuts across the board, everybody eliminating waste because they have to dig in and find what they actually need.

Thats next level chess right there.

Maybe theyll start implementing print quotas and charge for parking.

I've never been to an Applebees. Not that I wouldn't in the past but they're not common at all in SoCal.

Speaking of salad bars, I remember hitting up Sizzler as a kid! Those disappeared.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I've never been to an Applebees. Not that I wouldn't in the past but they're not common at all in SoCal.

Speaking of salad bars, I remember hitting up Sizzler as a kid! Those disappeared.

I was gonna say there's a Sizzler's right across the street from where I live, but turns out it's a Chili's, lol.

Anyway, here's Mike Huckabee showing his patented brand of Christianity once again:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2013/02/23/foxs-huckabee-compares-insurance-for-pre-existi/192784

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I've been a few times and it sucks. The portions are really small, it's just lame.

Gotchaye

I was gonna say there's a Sizzler's right across the street from where I live, but turns out it's a Chili's, lol.

Anyway, here's Mike Huckabee showing his patented brand of Christianity once again:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2013/02/23/foxs-huckabee-compares-insurance-for-pre-existi/192784

Well, he's absolutely right as far as insurers are concerned. It's really weird to call subsidized or collectively-bargained health care "insurance". You insure against risks, not certainties.

To be clear, I understand that he's using this to argue against guaranteed issue rather than to make the semantic point that if we're going to have guaranteed issue, community rating, and an individual mandate, then it makes sense to talk about this as something other than "insurance".

I've been a few times and it sucks. The portions are really small, it's just lame.

I haven't been since the mid 90s and I was just a kid but i used to love it. The garlic bread plus I loved creating my own salads. It was like being given power at a young age.

No idea what it's like these days but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care for it.

It's like how as a kid I loved Mcdonald's but today it disgusts me.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Well, he's absolutely right as far as insurers are concerned. It's really weird to call subsidized or collectively-bargained health care "insurance". You insure against risks, not certainties.

To be clear, I understand that he's using this to argue against guaranteed issue rather than to make the semantic point that if we're going to have guaranteed issue, community rating, and an individual mandate, then it makes sense to talk about this as something other than "insurance".

Absolutely, health coverage is probably a better word than insurance. However the underlying suggestion that a person who has a pre-existing condition as a depreciated/destroyed asset that shouldn't be covered therafter is pretty fucking disgusting.

I haven't been since the mid 90s and I was just a kid but i used to love it. The garlic bread plus I loved creating my own salads. It was like being given power at a young age.

No idea what it's like these days but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care for it.

It's like how as a kid I loved Mcdonald's but today it disgusts me.

The garlic bread was great but not better than SmokeHouse in Burbank. Best garlic cheese bread anywhere.

garlic_bread.jpg

Slso, remember Soup Plantation? Use to love it there.

That doesn't make any sense. Nobody buys health insurance to "insure against future disease." It shouldn't even be called insurance. You don't get it for the same reason you get fire or flood insurance. You get it to buy into a pool of people for discounts on general health care.

Diablos

Oh. I've only watched the first episode, but I'm finding it hard to take any of the events within the show seriously because I keep picturing James Clyburn trying to do what Spacey's doing. And I keep giggling to myself.
Heh heh, just you wait.

Let's just say I would have LOVED to have been the person who said that. Delicious.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Arguing whether knowledge of Applebees discredits David Brooks is like arguing whether that 2008 election map discredits Dick Morris. It's part of it, but it's not really necessary in making the case.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Arguing whether knowledge of Applebees discredits David Brooks is like arguing whether that 2008 election map discredits Dick Morris. It's part of it, but it's not really necessary in making the case.

You mean 2012 don't you?

The garlic bread was great but not better than SmokeHouse in Burbank. Best garlic cheese bread anywhere.

garlic_bread.jpg

Slso, remember Soup Plantation? Use to love it there.

Never went to the smokehouse as a kid, bit pricey.

Soup Plantation made a comeback. I remember going as a kid too and loved it but they disappeared for a while. Now it's all hip and shit. I've gone a couple times with my little cousins and it's always packed with families. Most of the soups and stuff are mediocre, but salad is salad and can't fuck it up if it's fresh (which it is). It's only like $10 per adult or something close to that, which is probably why it's so packed.

I love salad but for some reason I only like Ranch Dressing in restaurants so I kind of indulge myself at salad bars with it, heh.

haha Jennifer Rubin and fellow conservatives are pissed about Michelle being on the Oscars, wow. I thought conservatives hated Hollywood, why are they do mad

Brinbe

Jealousy/envy. And for all the shit they talk about Hollywood liberals, they're the ones who trotted someone like Eastwood out there during their convention.

haha Jennifer Rubin and fellow conservatives are pissed about Michelle being on the Oscars, wow. I thought conservatives hated Hollywood, why are they do mad

Because the Obamas are cool and conservatives, by their very definition, are not cool. So they don't get it and what they don't understand they poke fun at.

But the joke is and always will be on them. It was the same when Bill Clinton went on Arsenio and played the sax. Imagine if twitter was around then!?

GhaleonEB

They call Soup Plantation "Sweet Tomatoes" here. I love that place.

Same. They've gotten a bit pricey so we go there less often than we used to, but they're a real treat. Great salad bar, then soup and cheesy bread until I'm ready to be rolled out of the place.

This has always been the true problem. You have these people that want to cut taxes like crazy but still want 11 carrier battle groups. They just say "Well cut foreign aid & welfare". But foreign aid is already less than 1% of the budget and if you cut welfare then you'll probably end up with increased crime and increased prison costs as people will not just quietly starve. We already imprison more people than any other country on the planet. If anything we, should reverse that so we are not wasting so much money on police, courts, and prison. We need to start doing ankle bracelets or something instead of imprisoning so many non-violent offenders. And we need to eliminate many pointless drug laws that just imprison people for victimless personal vice.

I'm convinced that the modern prison system will be looked back at by future generations as one of the biggest human rights crises in American history. Racist, immoral, and even follows the schtick of "people for profit". Everybody always cry foul of the horrors of living in a totalitarian state yet our incarceration rate is higher than any of them. The only nation that comes remotely close is Russia which has a homicide rate more than three times as high as America and is in many ways literally controlled by the mafia. I guess you can say "but they imprisoned those people for their beliefs!" and that's fair point. However would I sound too crazy if I were to say that its almost, if not just as, bad if you imprison people for being trapped in the social culture in which the nation itself practically created due to purposely self-inflicting policies?

do i wanna know? some of your oral tips from the gaf hop thread?
It was GAF hop related yes.

Still amazed at the Michelle hate, which I'm now hearing at school. I'm not sure liberals would have been particularly pissed if Laura Bush showed up at the Oscars in 2005. Personally I haven't even seen the segment and do wonder why she did it, but it's not a big deal.

I'm trying to imagine a conservative enjoying watching the glitz of Clooney, Affleck, and others who helped Obama win yet butthurt by Michelle showing up, it doesn't make sense; a quick glance at Rubin's feed shows she was quite into the Oscars lmao. Must suck to be unpopular and bitter.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Still amazed at the Michelle hate
You are? Really? This is the party that literally hates anything the Obamas are even associated with.

Hell, on Fox News they were complaining about the federal funding offered to make sure schools serve kids healthy lunches because "It's a waste to spend money to give kids food they don't like."

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This, cuts to the defense budget will take a tremendous toll on our economy and it's not going to be in the Middle-East

The problem isn't cuts to defense, but the lack of reinvestment into America with the savings.

The scientists and manual laborers that work on military equipment as contractors would be put to better use redesigning our cities and our infrastructure domestically.

Jobs for the sake of jobs, and cuts for the sake of cuts, are equally stupid.

You are? Really? This is the party that literally hates anything the Obamas are even associated with.

Hell, on Fox News they were complaining about the federal funding offered to make sure schools serve kids healthy lunches because "It's a waste to spend money to give kids food they don't like."
But it's not like Michelle crashed an episode of Ponderosa. The Emmys are Liberal Central, full of the actors conservatives say they'll never support or watch. 70% of the people in that room gave maximum donations to Obama, yet conservatives are only butthurt about Michelle? I'm hearing people say they stopped watching the minute she appeared on screen, as if the show was all American and freedom before the liberal woman of the world appeared with her weave of abortion.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
But it's not like Michelle crashed an episode of Ponderosa. The Emmys are Liberal Central, full of the actors conservatives say they'll never support or watch. 70% of the people in that room gave maximum donations to Obama, yet conservatives are only butthurt about Michelle? I'm hearing people say they stopped watching the minute she appeared on screen, as if the show was all American and freedom before the liberal woman of the world appeared with her weave of abortion.
hahaha, right.

Outrage is great. I didn't really care for her appearance much as it was just pure cheese (especially her speech) but I am very amused that people are kicking up this much of a fuss about it.

kehs

Banned
I love this sequester.

We're on the verge of having Republicans, say out loud, that not only should we continue to spend money, but that we shouldn't be trying to gut the size of government.

kehs

Banned
Interesting statement from Sotomayor on a case involving an asshole prosecutor who questioned someone on trial with this:

“You’ve got African-Americans, you’ve got Hispanics, you’ve got a bag full of money. Does that tell you—a light bulb doesn’t go off in your head and say, This is a drug deal?”

Quote from her statement:

There is no doubt, however, that the prosecutor’s question never should have been posed. “The Constitution prohibits racially biased prosecutorial arguments.” McCleskey v. Kemp, 481 U. S. 279, 309, n. 30 (1987). Such argumentation is an affront to the Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection of the laws. And by threatening to cultivate bias in the jury, it equally offends the defendant’s right to an impartial jury. Judge Frank put the point well: “If government counsel in a criminal suit is allowed to inflame the jurors by irrelevantly arousing their deepest prejudices, the jury may become in his hands a lethal weapon directed against defendants who may be innocent. He should not be permitted to summon that
thirteenth juror, prejudice.”
United States v. Antonelli Fireworks Co., 155 F. 2d 631, 659 (CA2 1946) (dissenting opinion) (footnote omitted). Thus it is a settled professional standard that a “prosecutor should not make arguments calculated to appeal to the prejudices of the jury.”

Timing is fitting since there's been alot of talk lately about the racial injustice of the criminal system.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-6142_2co3.pdf

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.c...demns-prosecutors-racially-insensitive-remark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom