• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we talking about Germany? It's Asian countries that hold most of our debt: China, Japan, Taiwan, etc. They can't get paid whenever they want, but they can stop buying bonds (not likely, what other financial instrument are they going to park their money in?) or they can dump the ones they do have on the market (resale them). That would probably spike our interest rates on future debt and put investor faith in our government in jeopardy.

They hold a lot but I don't think even half.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/tic/Documents/mfh.txt

Also how the hell does Luxembourg even have that much money?

I don't think surplus is the greatest thing, it should be put in a reserve fund, and if we get to a certain level, we cut taxes and let people create their own wealth.

What should be put in a reserve fund?

Isn't that happening now? A trade surplus would be nice, ban walmart and home depot. :)

No, that's not what is happening now. The government is not running a surplus. It is running a deficit, i.e., adding financial assets into the domestic private sector. That is necessary as long as there is a negative trade balance (removing financial assets from the domestic private sector) and a growing economy.

Why are we talking about Germany? It's Asian countries that hold most of our debt: China, Japan, Taiwan, etc. They can't get paid whenever they want, but they can stop buying bonds (not likely, what other financial instrument are they going to park their money in?) or they can dump the ones they do have on the market (resale them). That would probably spike our interest rates on future debt and put investor faith in our government in jeopardy.

We have no need of selling them bonds. Or of selling anybody bonds. It's an antiquated legal relic from the days when dollars were convertible into gold and nothing more.

We have no need of selling them bonds. Or of selling anybody bonds. It's an antiquated legal relic from the days when dollars were convertible into gold and nothing more.

What happens when inflation happens? What about the Foreign Exchange market? Why would they have any faith in the currency?

codhand

What should be put in a reserve fund?

Could invest it, loan it to people to make factories. Here is money, give us 5% interest on a 20 year loan.

No, that's not what is happening now. The government is not running a surplus. It is running a deficit, i.e., adding financial assets into the domestic private sector. That is necessary as long as there is a negative trade balance (removing financial assets from the domestic private sector) and a growing economy.

We have taxes, that's gov't taking money from the private sector. What's a deficit to the private sector? That would be taking more money than they have.

What's a deficit to the private sector? That would be taking more money than they have.

And what happens when you introduce the level of taxation, and correspondingly cut the level of spending, that is necessary to cause a private-sector deficit, i.e., "achieve a balanced budget"?

pigeon

Banned
Why in hell would our government have to pull in a surplus for 64 years in order to then hoard more money so they can then loan it out?

Let me note here that if this were a good investment, we could do it now, setting an interest rate lower than a new business would pay to a bank but higher than the government pays to its creditors, and make money on the deal. In fact, that's exactly what we DO do.

LEADERSHIP

Its absolutely absurd that people aren't going to vote for him because of his stances on Israel, a foreign country. What country is it his job to protect the US or Israel? because I think to a lot of senators its Israel. And thats downright treasonous.

I wonder if even if he fails Obama is sending a message to Bibi.

Why would inflation happen? The government would be spending less by not selling bonds.

Printing money to fulfill all spending obligations? Unless you're just gonna tax all the money out which is gonna kill foreign investment I'd imagine.

Its absolutely absurd that people aren't going to vote for him because of his stances on Israel a foreign country. What country is it his job to protect the US or Israel because I think to a lot of senators its Israel. And thats downright treasonous.

I wonder if even if he fails Obama is sending a message to Bibi.

lolno. with hagel our policy towards israel will remain largely unchanged

RDreamer

Printing money to fulfill all spending obligations? Unless you're just gonna tax all the money out which is gonna kill foreign investment I'd imagine.

If you spend by tying it to bonds, then you spend a dollar, and also print more dollars in order to pay back the bond holder. That's more money in the system.

If you skip paying back the bond holder and just print that dollar how exactly does that lead to inflation? There are less dollars in this scenario than the first.

Will you be wrong once again when something gets passed?

The assault weapons ban will not pass the house, you can write that down.

I'm more optimistic on background checks, but even that is easily clouded by FUD. I got into a facebook skirmish with a libertarian who argued background checks shouldn't be allowed because the government would place veterans on the list, citing PSTD as a mental illness. A quick google search found a lot of right wingers believe this shit. Likewise there is a dedicated movement against banning high capacity clips, which is another avenue I think could potentially pass but could also die in the house.

The focus should be on illegal guns imo, which would mean a focus on background checks and closing gun show loopholes. The issue isn't legal gun owners, most of whom are not violent people - it's people buying tons of guns at gun shows and selling them on the streets illegally, and the constant cycle of those guns passing into the hands of criminals

Schools will get shot up until suburbs start putting metal detectors and metal locked doors in buildings. If Detroit can afford it, so can suburban districts.

RDreamer

The gun control legislation that's been brought up is largely silly and ineffective. There are some great things we could do to lower gun violence, and it's a tragedy that no one's really bringing those things up.

I can't help but think the executive branch could do some things unilaterally on background checks, but I'll have to find some info on that. Also it wouldn't hurt to get an ATF director approved, perhaps through recess appointment. But of course congress has made it very hard for the ATF to do its job in multiple ways

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...5f9b0c-55d9-11e2-8b9e-dd8773594efc_story.html

Krauthammer, the anti-PD in terms of viewing Obama's strategy.

Sounds salty, too.

Second, as an end in itself. Fundamentally, Obama is a leveler. The community organizer seeks, above all, to reverse the growing inequality that he dates and attributes to ruthless Reaganism. Now, however, clothed in the immense powers of the presidency, he can actually engage in unadorned redistributionism. As in Tuesday night’s $620 billion wealth transfer.
Someone saw lincoln

gcubed

I've been travelling around some areas of Europe the last week and have 3 things no American should complain about... taxes, tolls, and gas. Filled up a diesel Volvo for 107 euro. The toll for the road I took was 27 euro. Taxes are self explanatory. Though they have shockingly better quality roads... its almost embarrassing to think about roads in the US

I've been travelling around some areas of Europe the last week and have 3 things no American should complain about... taxes, tolls, and gas. Filled up a diesel Volvo for 107 euro. The toll for the road I took was 27 euro. Taxes are self explanatory. Though they have shockingly better quality roads... its almost embarrassing to think about roads in the US

Where in Europe? There still are some shitty roads in Europe though. You also know know why they're pissed at austerity their not getting the same thing but asked to pay even more.

http://www.politicususa.com/tim-huelskamp-convinced-sandy-victims-relief.html

Once again, everytime I think the GOP can't get worse....they always ALWAYS prove me horribly wrong.

I have been in over 300 homes doing assessments through the south shore of Long Island for the last two months, and I implore this gentleman to accompany me if he has his doubts. People still have not even BEGUN to gut their homes because they don't have the money to do so, have to wait for the insurance claim to go through, or are just too elderly to get it taken care of properly. I was in a house LAST WEEK that still had carpeting down, mold on the walls, and furniture in the living room. These people had 4 FEET of water in their living rooms. Many don't even have the money to get their electrical boxes fixed so the power authority can turn their electric back on.

It's been TWO MONTHS and it's still a disaster. FEMA can only do so much. Thankfully the local county government is stepping in and helping, but they are going to need to be reimbursed as well, and that's not going to come from FEMA. Honestly that article just saddens me more than anything. SMH

04economix-jobs-historical-blog480.jpg

How does that compare? It is by far the largest four-year decline in government employment since the 1944-48 term. That decline was caused by the end of World War II; this one was caused largely by budget limitations. The only other post-1948 four-year drop was during Ronald Reagan’s first term, when government employment fell 0.6 percent.

le sigh.

In fairness though, you could build a road that travels all the way from Paris in the West to Kiev in the East and it wouldn't even be long enough to drive from one side of Texas and back again. The US is a big ol' place.

That's like saying we shouldn't have single-payer health care because we have a lot of people.

In fairness though, you could build a road that travels all the way from Paris in the West to Kiev in the East and it wouldn't even be long enough to drive from one side of Texas and back again. The US is a big ol' place.

this is trolling, right (for more reasons than what dax just articulated)

the most direct route east-west between paris and kiev (aka the one that avoids those filthy belgians) is 2400 km/1500 miles

or slightly shorter than tuscon to birmingham

and i'm not even adding portugal and spain to this

That's like saying we shouldn't have single-payer health care because we have a lot of people.

the most direct route east-west between paris and kiev (aka the one that avoids those filthy belgians) is 2400 km/1500 miles

I was having a bit of fun really, but I guess my point was more that the population density of the US in general is so much lower than Europe that it's not hard to see why roads would get less love in the US. There are roads in the US that hardly get used and yet, for the people that do use them, they're absolutely vital. That happens much less frequently in Europe, in my experience.

Incidentally, I said "if you could building a road". The distance between Paris and Kiev is approx 1,250 miles, and Texas is approx 800 miles across. Ergo you couldn't drive from one side of Texas and back in the same distance.

Chichikov

I was having a bit of fun really, but I guess my point was more that the population density of the US in general is so much lower than Europe that it's not hard to see why roads would get less love in the US. There are roads in the US that hardly get used and yet, for the people that do use them, they're absolutely vital. That happens much less frequently in Europe, in my experience.

Incidentally, I said "if you could building a road". The distance between Paris and Kiev is approx 1,250 miles, and Texas is approx 800 miles across. Ergo you couldn't drive from one side of Texas and back in the same distance.
They're investing on average more than double than the US (as percentage of GDP) on infrastructure.
I think that's a better explanation than population density, especially when you consider as European countries which are sparser than the US like Denmark and Sweden still have much superior roads.

technically, texas is 770 miles wide and 790 miles long, so it IS farther to drive from one end of texas and back than it is to go paris to kiev (by the most direct route.)

it's stupid and disingenuous, but technically correct.

zero_suit

They're investing on average more than double than the US (as percentage of GDP) on infrastructure.
I think that's a better explanation than population density, especially when you consider as European countries which are sparser than the US like Denmark and Sweden still have much superior infrastructure.
Yeah, we spend way too little on infrastructure, hence why it sucks ass.

"Fuck, I hate Boehner."
"Yeah, we need to throw out the bum!"
"Okay. Who wants it?
"Fuck, are you kidding? That's cruel and unusual punishment."
"I agree. It's practically unconstitutional what we've made Boehner go through."
"Yeah. We are kind of crazy."
"..."
"But we need show him we won't tolerate his shit anymore!"
"Right! Okay, everyone, on January 3rd, vote for whomever you want."
"That'll show him."
"He can go fuck himself."
"What a dictator."
I think that's a better explanation than population density, especially when you consider as European countries which are sparser than the US like Denmark and Sweden still have much superior roads.

Plus, given how huge the US is, that makes roads even more important for getting around. We need roads.

technically, texas is 770 miles wide and 790 miles long, so it IS farther to drive from one end of texas and back than it is to go paris to kiev (by the most direct route.)

it's stupid and disingenuous, but technically correct.

the "stupid and disingenuous" part is what i was getting at.

I think that also has to do with the fact they way that money is spent is often out of politician's hands. The EU commission does all that work and they aren't elected. They're pooling a lot of european money and having technocrats spend it all.

Its not like the europeans were always good at infrastructure. Spain's for example SUCKED up until the EU came and and funded the shit out of everything, southern Italy's still sucks, they've been building a highway for 20 years or something (there was a NYT article on it). Their roads are 10-20 years old compared to ours which are 50+ and subject to much more interference from the national all they way down to the local politics

Edit: the highway as been under construction for 50 years. It started in the 60s
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/w...rained-by-corruption.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...5f9b0c-55d9-11e2-8b9e-dd8773594efc_story.html

Krauthammer, the anti-PD in terms of viewing Obama's strategy.

Sounds salty, too.

Second, as an end in itself. Fundamentally, Obama is a leveler. The community organizer seeks, above all, to reverse the growing inequality that he dates and attributes to ruthless Reaganism. Now, however, clothed in the immense powers of the presidency, he can actually engage in unadorned redistributionism. As in Tuesday night’s $620 billion wealth transfer.

When Eisenhower & Nixon taxed at much higher rates there were patriots. But when the black guy raises rates 3% on the very wealthy to a level much lower than either Eisenhower or Nixon, he is a no-good commie/thief.

Wsj had an image today showing the European to tax rates.

Strong correlation between high rates and successful society. Russia was bottom.

On phone, someone post please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom