• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
@GOP Breaking: Watch @TerryMcAuliffe Applaud Obama’s War on Coal http://youtu.be/IyA9jfLmUSw #vagov

#clapgate

The game is certainly over in terms of mindshare, demographics, and national attitudes. You're right that gay people in Mississippi won't be getting married anytime soon for instance, but I think we're going to see a rather swift change throughout the country (except the south and heartland).

Rand Paul is ultimately right: the debate over gay marriage on a nation level is over. Proponents and opponents should focus on states, either by striking down gay marriage bans or instituting gay marriage bans.

The more republicans talk about gay marriage on a national level and denigrate gay people, the more elections they'll lose on the national level. I think that's going to be the next stage of GOP presidential politics: avoiding the issue and declaring it a state matter.

The court in the next year or so will make it the law of the land (I'd guarantee by 2016). They will be forced to respond to the merits of the case. The court won't have that standing off ramp forever and I don't think Kennedy will when push comes to shove say states can discriminate.

The comparisons to roe are silly, best to look at loving v. Virginia. This is a one way street. People will only be more accepting, on all levels.

Jooney

At SB5 rally at Austin state capitol. People eveerywhere. Feels good to be connected to American democracy in action.

At SB5 rally at Austin state capitol. People eveerywhere. Feels good to be connected to American democracy in action.

Nice

One question though why aren't these abortion requirements being challenged. Doesn't the ultrasound and closing clinic stuff violated Casey's undue burden?

Or are they just scared they'll overturn Roe and the loss will be ever greater?

Tamanon

Banned
Nice

One question though why aren't these abortion requirements being challenged. Doesn't the ultrasound and closing clinic stuff violated Casey's undue burden?

Or are they just scared they'll overturn Roe and the loss will be ever greater?

Well, it's actually pretty dastardly. They don't have to have the law forever, just long enough to close the clinics down and run them out of money/personnel.

Phew! You guys remember that program Medicare ran that was a highly successful nursing program where nurses went to homes of the elderly to make sure they were being treated? Medicare was thinking about shutting it down. Today, Medicare has decided to reverse its decision and extended the program's life for another eighteen months.

Great news.

OmniOne

I'm not convinced her age is going to be much of an issue. It certainly won't play well for the GOP if they're going to basically keep calling her an 'old bad' all election season long. It actually might really become a strength and just another way to ensure the Dems win the women vote again, only with more older voters joining.

BUt didnt mccain have 3-4 major surgeries? That only amplified realization of Palin presidency

His mom is 101 years old, he's going to be around for awhile. Obviously if he had won in 2008 he would live a far more stressful life than he did as a senator, but the point remains that he's still alive now, competent, etc.

Hillary Clinton will be fine as well; her mom also lived quite a long life, and Hillary hasn't had any life threatening health issues (outside of the concussion).

Age will only be an issue if she faces someone "cool" like Obama allegedly is. And no such person exists on the far right.

To be fair, there was plenty of "John McCain is old" stuff going on from democrats in 2007 and 2008.
But the concern for McCain wasn't that he was "old news," it was that if he died (and spending 6 years in a Vietnamese tiger cage PLUS cancer survivor isn't exactly a formula for longevity) we'd be stuck with Sarah Palin as president. There was some talk of that before he announced his VP pick, but that was when it really ramped up.

Whoever Hillary picks as VP will probably be nowhere near as bad as Palin, and her health isn't too much of a concern for now.

His mom is 101 years old, he's going to be around for awhile. Obviously if he had won in 2008 he would live a far more stressful life than he did as a senator, but the point remains that he's still alive now, competent, etc.

it's right about here that i remembered i was reading a PD post

I'd love to hear Fox's reaction if Obama said he was a big 2pac fan.

(Rubio will always get dap for being a fellow Pac fan. But overall he's not...cool.)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So...a straight couple got married last week:

Randy and A.J. in front of the sign for Wilsonville, where they would be getting married in less than 24 hours with the hope, Randy had said, of being “a light on the hill to people all over, showing the example of what we think true biblical marriage should be.”

Watching intently was Randy’s father, Ken Wilson. “We are almost a minority now,” he said as the evening went on, referring to those who continue to believe that marriage should be only between a man and a woman. “And it makes it all that much more important not to listen to those who would judge us. I know we may go through persecution as we evolve into this open-minded society. But I told my son, whatever you do, don’t worry about others judging you.”

Grimey's in

Spongebob-s-dance-o.gif

So...a straight couple got married last week:

I thought this was a onion article. I really did. :(

“If someone wants to call us bigots, it’s like, well, then we’ve got to go back 1,000 steps and find some common ground,” he said. “Like, maybe we’re all broken. Maybe everybody’s screwed up.”
Just like Paula Deen

PPP has them tied. It's gonna be a fight

No, it won't. He has an enormous war chest, Rand Paul will campaign for him, and it's still Kentucky. If there was any chance of him losing it disappeared with the illegal recording of his office+IRS "scandal" both of which play into far right paranoia down there.

Haven't read it all yet, but this article by Nate Cohn on why gerrymandering isn't the problem with the Republican House was fascinating.

Consider Texas, where every Republican is nestled in a safe district. While one might be tempted to blame gerrymandering, even a Democratic-led gerrymander wouldn't yield competitive districts there. The Lone Star State has 254 counties, 244 of which were won by either Obama or Romney by at least 10 points. Even the competitive counties aren't especially competitive at the precinct level; Obama won Harris County, home to the Houston metropolitan area, by .08 points, but he did so by winning the city of Houston and its diverse inner suburbs by a large margin, while losing by a nearly equal margin in its white and more affluent suburbs. As a result, it's virtually impossible to draw more than a few competitive districts that retain geographic and demographic coherence. In order to make more competitive districts in Texas, one would actually need to gerrymander the state: It would require artificially competitive districts that snake from heavily Democratic cities with large minority populations to the equally conservative countryside and suburbs.​

Benghazi.

No seriously. His wife has gone from toxic to toxic x 2 ever since that, on the far right. And all elections in Kentucky are fought on far right battle lines.
PD you've always had the same problem as establishments like Politico, you buy into the hype of manufactured scandals by the far right when no one actually gives a shit. If Hillary Clinton is unpopular in Kentucky, it sure isn't turning up in the polls. What did we learn last year about ignoring polling?

Kentucky may be conservative, but clearly not to a point where they wouldn't consider electing Grimes. Obviously because she's already been elected. In fact she was elected with the highest vote total of any candidate in 2011. Kentucky Democrats have a strong grip on local politics, the trick is figuring out how to translate that to success in federal elections, and the best way of doing that is running against the establishment. And who better represents establishment Washington than Mitch McConnell?

I wouldn't call Grimes the favorite by any means, this is still a Lean Republican race (at best), but let's not pretend this is going to be like McConnell swatting a fly.

Haven't read it all yet, but this article by Nate Cohn on why gerrymandering isn't the problem with the Republican House was fascinating.

Consider Texas, where every Republican is nestled in a safe district. While one might be tempted to blame gerrymandering, even a Democratic-led gerrymander wouldn't yield competitive districts there. The Lone Star State has 254 counties, 244 of which were won by either Obama or Romney by at least 10 points. Even the competitive counties aren't especially competitive at the precinct level; Obama won Harris County, home to the Houston metropolitan area, by .08 points, but he did so by winning the city of Houston and its diverse inner suburbs by a large margin, while losing by a nearly equal margin in its white and more affluent suburbs. As a result, it's virtually impossible to draw more than a few competitive districts that retain geographic and demographic coherence. In order to make more competitive districts in Texas, one would actually need to gerrymander the state: It would require artificially competitive districts that snake from heavily Democratic cities with large minority populations to the equally conservative countryside and suburbs.​

The problem is single member districts.

Jooney

I'd love to hear Fox's reaction if Obama said he was a big 2pac fan.

(Rubio will always get dap for being a fellow Pac fan. But overall he's not...cool.)

Hasn't Obama already stated that he listens to Jay-Z?

Then there is famous 'dirt off your shoulder' moment.

Fuchsdh

That's why I feel like people misconstrue the district representative issue and the gerrymandering issue; frankly there are always going to be reps who have a homogenous and easy district to win. But districts should be as compact and even in population as possible; bull like what the Maryland dems did only make the problem much worse.

Jooney

So the LBJ Presidential library in Austin is pretty neat. It really presented with impact the VRA / CRA battles, and showed how his decisions on Vietnam have shadowed his legacy. There was these great video productions throughout with all this great archival footage from the 60s. There was also a Bush II like Decision Points theatre where you could decide on what do to about the war Vietnam. Hilarious thing though is that no matter how often I tried to avoid gong to war, the system would reply that real world events have overridden my decisions and that escalation of the war was the only option. Which made me lol.

Unfortunately I didn't get to visit all the exhibits, I guess I have to come back another time.

Two presidential museums down (JFK and LBJ), eleven to go.

So the LBJ Presidential library in Austin is pretty neat. It really presented with impact the VRA / CRA battles, and showed how his decisions on Vietnam have shadowed his legacy. There was these great video productions throughout with all this great archival footage from the 60s. There was also a Bush II like Decision Points theatre where you could decide on what do to about the war Vietnam. Hilarious thing though is that no matter how often I tried to avoid gong to war, the system would reply that real world events have overridden my decisions and that escalation of the war was the only option. Which made me lol.

Unfortunately I didn't get to visit all the exhibits, I guess I have to come back another time.

Two presidential museums down (JFK and LBJ), eleven to go.

That's awesome. How long are you in the US for? Are you just visiting all over the country? Driving or traveling by plane? How are you affording all of this?!

Fuchsdh

So I guess I'm the only person whose presidential library would be all my favorite books, movies, music and videogames, and not an attempt to burnish my legacy?

Jooney

That's awesome. How long are you in the US for? Are you just visiting all over the country? Driving or traveling by plane?

Two weeks left. Miami, New Orleans, and possibly Memphis or Nashville left. I'm flying between cities.

How are you affording all of this?!

Savings from a good job, great leave benefits, and an inconsequential student debt.

Two weeks left. Miami, New Orleans, and possibly Memphis or Nashville left. I'm flying between cities.
Are you gonna do this again any time soon? This country is a huge place! Despite Canada and Russia being bigger, we're probably the biggest country with the largest amount of living space.
Savings from a good job, great leave benefits, and an inconsequential student debt.
I'm jealous!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
According to the project's website, it's actually an acronym: "Project GROW" stands for "Growing Republican Opportunities for Women." (Yes, the "G" in "GROW" stands for "grow.") Once the initiative was launched, the Republican National Committee touted the effort with an unfortunate choice of words: "We need to be a party that allows talented women to rise to the top."

Goddamn Republicans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom