• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to point out that as nice idea as it sounds like, paying Senator's and Representative's less is terrible policy. In all reality, we should pay Senator's and Congresspeople more than they are right now. If you assume each Senator is basically the level of an President of a Division of a large corporation, they're actually underpaid.

Mike M

Nick N
Plus if we paid them poorly, only those that are otherwise wealthy would find it worth the time to run for office.

Well, even moreso.

It's not like "The War of Northern Aggression" was accepted or something (which I have heard used unironically)

I'd like to point out that as nice idea as it sounds like, paying Senator's and Representative's less is terrible policy. In all reality, we should pay Senator's and Congresspeople more than they are right now. If you assume each Senator is basically the level of an President of a Division of a large corporation, they're actually underpaid.

The Senate needs to start producing some results if you're going to assume that. They'd be out of any leadership position in a large corporation with their recent track record. Double for the House.

Okay. So Amy Klobuchar is in the news today for addressing a Democratic fundraiser in Iowa. People are taking this as a hint of presidential ambitions.

If Hillary didn't run, I'd probably put my support behind her. Nate Cohn said on Twitter he views her as a dark horse.

Plus if we paid them poorly, only those that are otherwise wealthy would find it worth the time to run for office.

Well, even moreso.

I said median income, not poorly. Its up to them if they want to get paid more - by enacting policies that raise the median income.

If median income is " poor" then theres serious trouble.

Wilsongt

Ms. Lindsey Graham is suggesting a US boycott of the winter Olympics if Russia offers Snowden asylum.

I don't know how many times I have said "Fuck Lindsey Graham", but Fuck Lindsey Graham.

Here are the details, shared with me by the aide:

* The new plan would take the provisional legal status and right to work granted to the undocumented at the outset and reconfigure it as “probation.” The plan would require undocumented immigrants to admit having broken U.S. laws and admit guilt (in a civil sense), and enter into a probationary phase, during which they’d have very similar legal rights to the ones they would have under the provisional legal status in the Senate bill.

This concession is designed to help Republicans embrace comprehensive reform. It is meant to give Republicans a response to the charge of “amnesty” — the claim that a path to citizenship will reward lawbreakers — by instead requiring the undocumented to take themselves out of the shadows, admit wrongdoing, and put themselves on a species of probation.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-closes-in-on-immigration-reform-compromise/

Uh, so the GOP might be willing to go along with immigration reform if they can first shame the illegal immigrants?

like, my understanding is they just want to rename it and have them "admit guilt" first but otherwise it's no different than the Senate's proposal in this aspect.

Seriously, fuck these guys. "We'll let it happen because politics, but fuck it if we can dehumanize them first, let's do that!"

I really really can't stand what the political arm of the GOP has become..

Ms. Lindsey Graham is suggesting a US boycott of the winter Olympics if Russia offers Snowden asylum.

I don't know how many times I have said "Fuck Lindsey Graham", but Fuck Lindsey Graham.

I'm sure it's just deep cover and she wants to boycott the Olympics because of Russia's anti-LGBT policies!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Someone should make a thread on Mitch Daniels' first amendment violations at his university.

Link

The Autumn Wind
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-closes-in-on-immigration-reform-compromise/

Uh, so the GOP might be willing to go along with immigration reform if they can first shame the illegal immigrants?

like, my understanding is they just want to rename it and have them "admit guilt" first but otherwise it's no different than the Senate's proposal in this aspect.

Seriously, fuck these guys. "We'll let it happen because politics, but fuck it if we can dehumanize them first, let's do that!"

"Congratulations, you're on your way to becoming a citizen. Also, as a convicted felon, you can never vote."

Controversial Congresswoman Michele Bachmann's battle with migraines has been well-documented. But a conservative-leaning consultant group's attempt to send her a massager to alleviate the headaches almost ended in comical disaster after a sex toy was reportedly sent to Bachmann's office instead.

The Columbus-based Strategy Group for Media has a stable of conservative clients that have included Todd Akin (of "legitimate rape" fame), Newt Gingrich and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, according to Politico. However, the firm has had a stretch of bad luck recently, including the almost-disastrous vibrator gaffe, reports BuzzFeed, which recently analyzed documents detailing the inner workings of the company as related to an ongoing lawsuit.

According to BuzzFeed's McKay Coppins and Jacob Fischler, the cache of documents includes an unusual nugget of an email thread, dated May 29, which references Strategy Group for Media CEO Rex Elsass sending “female pleasure machines” to Bachmann.

Investigating further, BuzzFeed was able to corroborate the story, although without much further detail:

The emails don’t elaborate on the incident, but one person familiar with the story told BuzzFeed that Elsass had intended to give Bachmann a vibrating head massager to help alleviate her migraines, and that the employee he sent to buy the gift accidentally purchased something that more closely resembled a sex toy — and sent it to her office

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Accident my ass,

Okay. So Amy Klobuchar is in the news today for addressing a Democratic fundraiser in Iowa. People are taking this as a hint of presidential ambitions.

If Hillary didn't run, I'd probably put my support behind her. Nate Cohn said on Twitter he views her as a dark horse.
Klobuchar would be a fantastic candidate, I would vote for her in a heartbeat. There's a reason she's one of the most popular senators in the country.

Oblivion

So my co-worker told me the following things:

-Trayvon Martin's parents were divorced and hated each other prior to him getting shot
-Trayvon had a reputation for being a violent troublemaker at school.
-Trayvon was living with his mom but got kicked out when he became too much of a problem.

I'm not privvy to all the details of this whole ordeal, but is any of this true?

Kinvara

-Trayvon Martin's parents were divorced and hated each other prior to him getting shot
-Trayvon was living with his mom but got kicked out when he became too much of a problem.

I'm not privvy to all the details of this whole ordeal, but is any of this true?

Even if it were true, how is it relevant to his murder?

Why are people trying to justify Zimmerman's actions by dragging a dead teen's reputation through the mud?

Oblivion

Even if it were true, how is it relevant to his murder?

Why are people trying to justify Zimmerman's actions by dragging a dead teen's reputation through the mud?

From what I gathered in that particular convo, Trayvon's supposed reputation as a thug means that it's highly likely that he started the fight.

I'm just telling ya what they tell me.

Dram

Conservatives seem pretty happy that Zimmerman got off. It's like he's a hero to them, striking back at Obama's America by killing Trayvon the Thug.

Jooney

What does your co-worker think of Zimmerman's actual history of violence (assaulting an officer, restraining order from his ex-wife) and if that has any bearing on who started the altercation?

Link

The Autumn Wind
What does your co-worker think of Zimmerman's actual history of violence (assaulting an officer, restraining order from his ex-wife) and if that has any bearing on who started the altercation?
I like that it's perfectly acceptable that Zimmerman seemingly regularly carried a gun and used it to kill an unarmed teenager, but the mere thought that Trayvon was possibly thinking about getting a gun makes him a violent thug.

Conservatives seem pretty happy that Zimmerman got off. It's like he's a hero to them, striking back at Obama's America by killing Trayvon the Thug.

It literally isn't possible for these folks to project any harder without risking blowing out their bulb and potentially setting the carpet on fire.

Ondore

Of note, Alex doesn't have say in what's accepted. They probably edited out any delay in verifying it as a possible answer.

Another possibility: It was given as an "Also Accept" option on the card, which is determined by the writers. (Example: A clue about a hoax for a chemical formula might have a correct answer of "Dihydrogen monoxide", with an Also Accept of "Water").

I like that it's perfectly acceptable that Zimmerman seemingly regularly carried a gun and used it to kill an unarmed teenager, but the mere thought that Trayvon was possibly thinking about getting a gun makes him a violent thug.

White male trying to unlawfully detain a black teenager and shooting the kid dead = self-defense

black teenager being followed and unlawfully detained by white man and fighting back = thuggin' it.

get with the program, Link.

On a lighter note

A meeting of Senate Republicans on Wednesday grew tense as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., told his members he could have gotten a better deal on nominations than the one negotiated by rank-and-file Republicans [...]

Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., got so frustrated with McConnell’s presentation of events, that he called “bullshit” loud enough for the room to hear, nearly a half-dozen sources said.

Petty, but not a deal breaker if this is all we can get. Personally I think the senate's pathway is pretty shitty too, but at least this one has some progress check points. Takes far too long but that's the hand we've been dealt.

But I don't see how this passes the House, even with security triggers. It's still "amnesty" by the right wing definition, and the DREAM Act part will still be painted as a huge magnet for illegal immigration regardless of whether E-Verify is in effect.

Diablos

Liz Cheney is going to challenge Hllary in 2020. I'm calling it now.

Who knows, maybe 2016!

Well, that's what she hopes to do.

Tee hee hee
As part of the deal, the president agreed to withdraw two board members whose recess appointments had been nullified by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and to appoint two new members in their stead. In exchange, Republicans agreed to give them a speedy hearing and confirmation vote to ensure that the agency would have a working majority.

So what did the president do? After checking with the president of the AFL-CIO, he appointed the labor organization’s associate general counsel, Nancy Schiffer, and before that a top lawyer for the United Auto Workers. I’ve spoken with Schiffer on several occasions, and she struck me as knowledgeable and intelligent. She had previously worked on the NLRB staff. But the fact that she is one of the labor movement’s top lawyers is hardly going to leave employers with a matter before the NLRB confident that their cases will be decided by impartial, independent-minded board members.​

Milabrega

Damn the "Confused" quip towards Enzi is ruthless, such pleasant people those Cheneys are. Glad it looks like we'll always have one in politics in America.

6y4C8pr.png

GhaleonEB

Liz Cheney Says Opponent Mike Enzi Is ‘Confused’ (VIDEO)
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/liz-cheney-says-opponent-mike-enzi-is-confused?ref=fpb

Seems pretty blatant what she's doing, I wonder how Wyoming voters will react.

She really did not fall far from the tree.

Woke up this morning to be met by a story back in my home state of Iowa. A state trooper reported a speeding car (clocked at 84). Turned out to be the governor's vehicle. The trooper is subsequently investigated and fired for reporting it. He's going to sue, and I hope he wins.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, passwords seem to trip people up for some reason. There's a reason many "hackers" have the default password lists saved.:p

I can understand dismissing/questioning early polls (see: my Hagan haggling), but I don't get this; the election is a couple months away, and the board is set. Obviously a losing campaign has to wave off bad polling ("well that's not what I see when I campaign around the state"), and there's nothing wrong with that. But Cooch and many republicans go beyond that into some really stupid, unprofessional shit. PPP proved themselves in 2012 (and 2008, etc etc), shitting on them makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom