• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLEABttn

Banned
I enjoy the accusations that PPP cooks the numbers to sway public opinion and that once they feel the public has been sufficiently swayed they report the real numbers, which are still rather indistinguishable from the cooked numbers.

One of the richest people I knew from college (now unfriended) reposted this ridiculous anecdote on Facebook about how this struggling doctor had to help some Welfare Queen on Medicaid and how she had a "gold tooth" and a nice fancy cell phone. The moral being, good people shouldn't have to pay for the government health care of these leachers, they need to take personal responsibility!*

*Except when your parents pay for your entire college tuition, because that's just assumed, right?

I hate people. It read like a fucking parody, and I'm venting here because I don't talk politics on Facebook out of principle but was too upset.

Fancy phones are free on contract and metal fillings cost less than the composite stuff that looks like your tooth. Someone's out of touch.

tom-toles-obamacare.jpg

:D
Resurrecting one of the legislative session’s most contentious issues, Senate Republicans unveiled a new voter ID bill Thursday that would further restrict the forms of photo identification accepted at the polls.

The new measure would require voters to show one of seven types of photo identification issued by the government, such as driver’s licenses, passports, non-driver IDs and military or veteran cards.

It eliminates about half the types of photo identification allowed under the House version, including cards from UNC system colleges, state community colleges, local governments, private employers and law enforcement agencies. The bill would take full effect in the 2016 elections.​

Resurrecting one of the legislative session’s most contentious issues, Senate Republicans unveiled a new voter ID bill Thursday that would further restrict the forms of photo identification accepted at the polls.

The new measure would require voters to show one of seven types of photo identification issued by the government, such as driver’s licenses, passports, non-driver IDs and military or veteran cards.

It eliminates about half the types of photo identification allowed under the House version, including cards from UNC system colleges, state community colleges, local governments, private employers and law enforcement agencies. The bill would take full effect in the 2016 elections.​

They claim they'll be offering the new IDs for free. I'm fine with this, if they keep their word. Makes it easier for poor people to get IDs, which is a problem in nearly every state.

3 years to comply should be enough.

Angry Fork

Obama praising Ray Kelly is easily in the top 5 worst things he has ever said. I was mortified, I didn't think he was capable of sinking that low. It's enough to make me think he's part-racist against blacks himself. He just does not give a shit at all about civil rights. He must think the murder of Fred Hampton was a good thing.

Tamanon

Banned
Obama praising Ray Kelly is easily in the top 5 worst things he has ever said. I was mortified, I didn't think he was capable of sinking that low. It's enough to make me think he's part-racist against blacks himself. He just does not give a shit at all about civil rights. He must think the murder of Fred Hampton was a good thing.

LOL

Link

The Autumn Wind

It eliminates about half the types of photo identification allowed under the House version, including cards from UNC system colleges, state community colleges, local governments, private employers and law enforcement agencies. The bill would take full effect in the 2016 elections.
Because of course it would.

Angry Fork

It's especially funny considering what he said about Trayvon Martin today.

Which makes his support of Kelly that much more disgusting. His games are fucking ridiculous. His statements mean nothing if he then says 'this guy was great at discriminating people, would be well qualified and I'd think about appointing him.' and to say people should accept the verdict as if law overrules justice.

I don't think you people realize how unbelievably damaging the NYPD has become to minorities and poor people. It is the Chase task force. The guy at the head of it is sick and so is the mayor.

Wilsongt

We discussed this when Oblivion asked why the NRA wasn't stepping up and saying this wouldn't have happened if Trayvon was armed.

He's black and was painted as a thug. Thus the NRA sweeps this under the rug while praising other folks/pushing for white folks to have a gun.

T'Zariah

Banned

You're starting to approach Kosmo levels of fucking ridiculous dumbshit.

Link

The Autumn Wind
But what what actually happened is that Democrats, at long last, decided that the filibuster is something that can be eliminated by a majority vote. Once they did that, they didn't even need to detonate the nuclear option, because in saying that it can be repealed by simple majority, they effectively killed filibuster as it existed.
About fucking time they realized this.

It's especially funny considering what he said about Trayvon Martin today.

The two contradict. I thought Obama's speech today was powerful, as I said in the thread. Which makes it even more troubling, and baffling to me, that he would suggest Kelly could lead the Homeland Security Department. I can understand him making a generally positive, cordial response to the question - after all, I don't think anyone expected Obama to say "Kelly has spent much of his career racially profiling black, Hispanic, and Arab men in New York. Of course I'm not considering hiring him for this job."

So what we're left with is two different things. On one hand we have a man who has discussed racial profiling for decades, who wrote an autobiography about the pain and annoyance it causes. And on the other hand we have that same man allegedly poised to nominate someone who has become the champion of racially motivated Stop And Frisk laws in a major state. It's an issue worth discussing, and I would not casually dismiss it because "Obama said x about Trayvon Martin."

Angry Fork

You're starting to approach Kosmo levels of fucking ridiculous dumbshit.

Some of Obama's comments on Trayvon case:

"I think it's important to recognize that the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn't go away,"

Obama also pointed to the fact that young African-American men are disproportionately involved in the criminal justice system, both as perpetrators of violence and as its victims.

More generally, Obama lent support to the idea of creating a coalition -- of business leaders, elected officials, celebrities, athletes -- to address the need for African-American men to feel that they are "a full part of this society."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/19/obama-trayvon-martin_n_3624483.html

Obama's statements on Ray Kelly:

New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly would be “well-qualified” to run the Department of Homeland Security, Obama said in an interview with Univision’s affiliate in the New York/New Jersey area.

Obama said the commissioner “might be very happy where he is.” If Kelly isn’t, though, Obama said he’d want to know about it. “I think Ray Kelly is one of the best there is,” Obama said.

Now how's this for dumb shit:

In 2010, New Yorkers were stopped by the police 601,285 times.
518,849 were totally innocent (86 percent).
315,083 were black (54 percent).
189,326 were Latino (33 percent).
54,810 were white (9 percent).
295,902 were aged 14-24 (49 percent).

In 2011, New Yorkers were stopped by the police 685,724 times.
605,328 were totally innocent (88 percent).
350,743 were black (53 percent).
223,740 were Latino (34 percent).
61,805 were white (9 percent).
341,581 were aged 14-24 (51 percent).

In 2012, New Yorkers were stopped by the police 532,911 times
473,644 were totally innocent (89 percent).
284,229 were black (55 percent).
165,140 were Latino (32 percent).
50,366 were white (10 percent).

http://www.nyclu.org/content/stop-and-frisk-data

Operation "Clean halls" where police are allowed to roam around buildings and parks where people live like it was a fucking occupation.

NEW YORK -- Jay Victorino was standing outside his mother's apartment when he was grabbed by police, and he says if she hadn't come downstairs to identify him he would've been arrested on a trespassing charge.

That's because his mother's South Bronx building is one of thousands of private dwellings patrolled by the New York Police Department under a program known as Operation Clean Halls.

Victorino, 28, has mixed feelings about the program – on one hand, he has seen his neighborhood become safer. On the other, he doesn't think it's right to be targeted.

"I don't want to be stopped," he said. "But I also don't want something bad to happen to my family. It's not easy to say what the right answer is. ... It's not a perfect world."

His ambivalence was echoed by dozens of people around the city who live in buildings enrolled in the program, the only one of its kind in a major U.S. city that gives police standing permission to roam the halls of private buildings. Some residents say they feel safer, while others say they believe they are being harassed at home and, in some cases, illegally stopped and arrested. More than a dozen residents have filed a federal lawsuit saying their civil rights were violated.

"We don't feel safe, but it's because of the police," said Jaenean Ligon, one of the plaintiffs, who said her sons have been wrongly arrested.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/11/nypd-operation-clean-halls_n_2852097.html

Where is the outrage over black men shot by cops? Where is Obama on these experiences and the constant harassment they get in their own buildings? As part of a drug war purposefully designed to go after minorities? And a private prison industry that's legal and allowed to flourish, adding more fuel to the fire?

Wait never mind that has nothing to do with political points on gun control so he's not going to exploit it. Okay I can accept that, I'm very glad he's said what he's said on the Trayvon case, it's a good thing. But don't call yourself a liberal and give him easy outs and excuses over the rest of the shit he chooses to ignore.

Good points all around, Angry Fork. While I'm VERY glad Obama has addressed/changed crack/cocaine sentence disparities, more can be done. I understand why, as the first black president, he may have been hesitant to wade into the issue during his first term. But I expect far better from him now, and the Justice Department. The handing of state marijuana laws has been especially baffling recently.

I wouldn't support a bailout of Detroit unless it came with some very strong strings attached. Such as completely dissolving the current City Council and redrawing districts in order to produce a better group of leaders. And some type of plan to downsize the city, or split it into two cities. You don't have to go to Detroit to know that it is significantly bigger than its population, but seeing it first hand is pretty stunning. Or at least it was ages ago to me, but I'm used to it now.

And get rid of Snyder's tax revenue redistribution bullshit.

I wouldn't support a bailout of Detroit unless it came with some very strong strings attached. Such as completely dissolving the current City Council and redrawing districts in order to produce a better group of leaders. And some type of plan to downsize the city, or split it into two cities. You don't have to go to Detroit to know that it is significantly bigger than its population, but seeing it first hand is pretty stunning. Or at least it was ages ago to me, but I'm used to it now.

There's no reason to overfund it, but there's also never any reason for any governmental unit to be "bankrupt." It's silly and stupid, and it harms real people for no reason.

There's no reason to overfund it, but there's also never any reason for any governmental unit to be "bankrupt." It's silly and stupid, and it harms real people for no reason.

Detroit isn't the US federal government. You are suggesting they can continue to pay an overstaffed city government and run the city with limited tax revenue coming in, infinitely?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Good for Nate Silver.

Only problem is the fact that hes pretty god damn terrible on camera. Seems like he's angling for his own show. Maybe they can get him to do some WSOP coverage or something.

Wonder who fills the void for 538 though.

e: Oh I guess he's going to keep doing it.

Detroit isn't the US federal government. You are suggesting they can continue to pay an overstaffed city government and run the city with limited tax revenue coming in, infinitely?

With the help of the Feds, yes. Normally I'd say we shouldn't pay people to do unnecessary jobs, but there are two points to make. First is that there is so much to do, even if not especially in Detroit, such that the number of necessary jobs is virtually unlimited. Second is that, in this economic environment, paying people even to do unnecessary work is better for the whole than not doing so.

Good for Nate Silver.

Only problem is the fact that hes pretty god damn terrible on camera. Seems like he's angling for his own show. Maybe they can get him to do some WSOP coverage or something.

He is pretty bad. But I think he's bored in these down seasons. Its pretty clear too sports is his real love

Wait, people don't think someone who abuses citizens civil rights should lead the department of homeland security? Isn't that what the department does? And people are shocked--shocked!--that Obama approves of such tactics?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good for Nate Silver.

e: Oh I guess he's going to keep doing it.

The guy needs something to do when there's no election, I'm happy he's able to do sports stuff.

His contract also has him working for ABC News for political stuff, according to the NY Times article.

ABC owns ESPN, of course (which is all owned by Disney). So basically he works politics for ABC News and sports for ESPN. I'm fine with this.

Can't wait to see him on First Take...

word is he'll be on Olberman's new show.

Good, we focus on election results predictions way too much, it really something that should mostly matter to the people running campaigns.

As I mentioned, that's not going away at all. And it's not like there aren't others to replace him (there are others that were already alongside him) so it's not like it would even stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom