• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The GOP just rejected a tax cut for the wealthy simply because Obama proposed it.

WOW.

The good thing about it is that they can be confronted with the refusal later if they ask for it in another context. But no one will realistically do it.

Ahh so you have to be married.

So does everybody agree with what the site states?

Anybody?

Ugh. I honestly should stop going into minimum wage increase threads here. It's really disgusting how some of the posters have such a misanthropic view of workers doing a job they most certainly wouldn't want to do. Or the "I only get paid [x] amount! With a degree! These lowlifes shouldn't get more than me" argument really makes my blood boil.

Oh how conditioned we are to accept mediocrity and low wages from our corporate overlords.

And if you have a college degree that isn't STEM they shun you. I find it odd that anybody who doesn't pursue what less then 10% of the population does is seen as worthless.

Chait on the sexist bullshit involved in the Summers/Yellen choice.

As it happens, the Journal’s news writers, who frequently infuriate and embarrass their editorial-page colleagues by reporting facts, published a report today measuring which members of the Federal Reserve board have made the most accurate predictions since the crisis. The Journal-style inflation hawks who have predicted rising prices around every corner have scored terribly. The highest scoring member — that is, the one whose predictions were most frequently borne out correctly by events — is none other than Janet Yellen.

Given this record, “the female dollar” looks awfully appealing. But it puts a fine point on the gender panic that is now infusing the hard-money cranks. They have constructed a fantasy world in which they sit in their plush leather chairs, calmly defending the rigors of tough-minded empiricism while feminists bellow from the street below. Yellen keeps analyzing the world in a sound and clear-minded way while they bay at the moon.

Ugh. I honestly should stop going into minimum wage increase threads here. It's really disgusting how some of the posters have such a misanthropic view of workers doing a job they most certainly wouldn't want to do. Or the "I only get paid [x] amount! With a degree! These lowlifes shouldn't get more than me" argument really makes my blood boil.

Oh how conditioned we are to accept mediocrity and low wages from our corporate overlords.

i'm gonna have so much fun in that mcd's thread, if it's the same one you're talking about

They don't?

Its not their money. They can still give themselves bonuses with the after tax income "lets fire a few plebs and call it restructuring". They can't escape income tax.

I mean they care, but its not their prize which is getting rid of capital gains, estate and lowering income tax

The problem is that jobs are about the easiest thing known to man to create. The government can create jobs with a snap of a finger or, rather, with a flick of the Treasurer's pen. So it's not disingenuous to poo poo 2-3k jobs, in my opinion. If the Keystone Pipeline is necessary, it should be justified without resort to arguments about the jobs it creates. That's what I find to be disingenuous.

But the government isn't creating jobs right now, it's shedding them. And given that reality, why shouldn't we be focused on getting as many (good) jobs as possible, wherever possible?

I agree that the government can do more but we have to face the reality that the Obama administration has no interest in going the FDR route on government infrastructure/construction jobs.

But the government isn't creating jobs right now, it's shedding them. And given that reality, why shouldn't we be focused on getting as many (good) jobs as possible, wherever possible?

I agree that the government can do more but we have to face the reality that the Obama administration has no interest in going the FDR route on government infrastructure/construction jobs.

Keystone would further hurt jobs and livelihoods for millions for Years and this is for just 2,000 jobs. Stupid trade

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Its not their money. They can still give themselves bonuses with the after tax income "lets fire a few plebs and call it restructuring". They can't escape income tax.

I mean they care, but its not their prize which is getting rid of capital gains, estate and lowering income tax

Well, sure. But you hear Republicans bitching endlessly about how we have the highest corporate tax rates in the world.

2,000 jobs isn't gonna do dick to the economy. And you're also not including the major environmental risks that come along with building the pipeline. The project should get axed and no one should lose any sleep over it.

KtSlime

Strikes me as disingenuous to a degree. The keystone pipeline will create jobs, about 2-3k (short term). But that's not the only measure of its potential impact. That's potentially 2-3k more customers for local businesses in the area, which in turn creates more jobs. It's an argument Obama has used before in support of (short term) infrastructure jobs, I'm confused why he isn't acknowledging it here as well.

It will create a ton of jobs when it leaks and we have to clean up, hire lawyers for lawsuits, relocate people, etc.

Oblivion

Oh also too, Erick Erickson just said if the Republicans can't defund Obamacare, a third party should spring up.

Oh also too, Erick Erickson just said if the Republicans can't defund Obamacare, a third party should spring up.

Has he (or Cruz/Rubio/Lee) ever responded to the fact that Obamacare's spending is mandatory, not through appropriations...and therefore cannot be stalled by a government shutdown?

And if you have a college degree that isn't STEM they shun you. I find it odd that anybody who doesn't pursue what less then 10% of the population does is seen as worthless.

yeah. I really dislike the 'STEM OVERLORD' mantra right now. I hear it a lot as a stem major and it's really really irritating now.

i'm gonna have so much fun in that mcd's thread, if it's the same one you're talking about

It is indeed.

Prepare for crow, motherfuckers.

Copper is such a hot commodity that thieves are going after the metal anywhere they can find it: an electrical power station in Wichita, Kan., or half a dozen middle-class homes in Morris Township, N.J. Even on a Utah highway construction site, crooks managed to abscond with six miles of copper wire.

Those are just a handful of recent targets across the U.S. in the $1 billion business of copper theft.

"There's no question the theft has gotten much, much worse," said Mike Adelizzi, president of the American Supply Association , a nonprofit group representing distributors and suppliers in the plumbing, heating, cooling and industrial pipe industries.

"There was a perception that copper theft slowed down after the recession, and the rise in commodity prices seemed to ease off," he said. "But that's not the case. The theft has only been growing."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/copper-theft-epidemic-sweeping-us-100000314.html

All over your faces.

oh shit
Christie: Paul Should Cut Kentucky’s ‘Pork Barrel Spending’

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Tuesday stoked the fire in his feud with Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), saying the senator should cut Kentucky's "pork barrel spending."

At a news conference announcing grants for homeowners affected by Hurricane Sandy, Christie told reporters that as a "donor state" New Jersey only receives 61 cents back from every dollar it sends to Washington, while Kentucky receives $1.51, according to the AP.

"Maybe he should start cutting the pork barrel spending that he brings home to Kentucky," Christie told reporters, as quoted by PolitickerNJ. "But I doubt he will because most Washington politicians only care about bringing home the bacon so that they can get re-elected."

Paul slammed Christie on Sunday at a Tennessee fundraiser for diverting resources from national security with his "gimme gimme" attitude towards Hurricane Sandy relief, and accused him on Tuesday of exploiting 9/11 victims.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/christie-paul-should-cut-kentuckys-pork-barrel-spending
:jnc

He's 100% right lol

Oblivion

Has he (or Cruz/Rubio/Lee) ever responded to the fact that Obamacare's spending is mandatory, not through appropriations...and therefore cannot be stalled by a government shutdown?

Not that I'm aware of so far. But I'm gonna go on a limb and say that even if they did, they wouldn't really be deterred.

Really curious to see how this plays out in the conservative media. Christie just broke the 4th commandment: thou shalt never question a red state's boostrapping bona fides.

Interesting, apparently republicans could theoretically fund the government while cutting all Obamacare funds, by using a rider

According to the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service (CRS), the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the IRS, “will incur substantial administrative costs to implement the law’s private insurance reforms and its changes to the federal health care programs.” And while Obamacare provided $1 billion in mandatory implementation funding when it was enacted, HHS projects that this is largely spent. According to CRS, Obamacare “administrative costs will have to be funded through the annual discretionary appropriations.” Furthermore, annual appropriations bills routinely carry funding limitations to block all sorts of activities (for example, the Hyde Amendment), as well make changes to mandatory spending. These latter provisions are called “changes in mandatory program spending” (CHIMPS). Even if these riders were not so common-place, the stakes of so many provisions of Obamacare scheduled to take effect would present grounds for an exception.
http://heritageaction.com/2013/07/defunding-obamacare-questions-answers-excuses-responses/

This moves the debate from "it's impossible and political sucicide" to "it's possible...but political suicide."

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
http://25.media.tumblr.com/4c7ed143f9f8219e2ba0dc6ef9abdd49/tumblr_meplfs5rn71qbralno1_500.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Fine, I guess I should have said middle class.

[quote="jamesinclair, post: 73752748"]How much of that would he have been able to do with a Democrat senate?

All of it. The Democrats would have caved on everything.[/QUOTE]

I laughed at the part where they said "Harry Reid, the top Democrat in the Senate, is no pushover."

Christie would be the perfect GOP candidate in a time when the conservative base wasn't so crazy.

Christie could have defeated Gore in 2000 or Kerry in 2004. He could have won in 2008 w/o a crash under Bush's watch, too.

But in 2016 I don't know if he can win because he has to go so far right just to get the nom.

Interesting, apparently republicans could theoretically fund the government while cutting all Obamacare funds, by using a rider

http://heritageaction.com/2013/07/defunding-obamacare-questions-answers-excuses-responses/

This moves the debate from "it's impossible and political sucicide" to "it's possible...but political suicide."

This isn't anything special. A rider isn't some special bill, it's legislation it'd have to get Obama's signature. If the government shuts down the mandatory spending still kicks in.

This isn't anything special. A rider isn't some special bill, it's legislation it'd have to get Obama's signature. If the government shuts down the mandatory spending still kicks in.

Ah. So Medicare, Obamacare, and some other spending would still go out regardless, while various other things (public parks) would bleed dry. Yea...that's not going to work for republicans.

That ain't happening.

Why is Obama threatening to shut down the government by withholding his signature? He needs to sign this funding request and let Obamacare be discussed on its own merits, not bundled in with our critical national security needs and obligations to our seniors.

Oblivion

LOL. McConnell also said he opposes Obama's idea because it's "not bi-partisan". As brother Benen said, are we really supposed to think that tax cuts for the rich are a Democratic idea now too?

What a clown.

LOL. McConnell also said he opposes Obama's idea because it's "not bi-partisan". As brother Benen said, are we really supposed to think that tax cuts for the rich are a Democratic idea now too?

What a clown.
Of course it's not bipartisan, none of these fuckers want it to be.

IMO

1. Weiner realized that immediately resigning his congressional seat was a bad idea. If history has taught us anything it's that you never resign unless you have to (see: Clinton, Vitter, etc). Weiner has determined that he's never going to prematurely pull out again (no pun intended).

2. Weiner's marriage is officially over the minute he loses this race. It probably "technically" ended long ago, but I can't help but think Huma will divorce him 3 months after he loses the election.

Amir0x

Banned
Just want to give props to this lone Register of Wills in Montgomery County in PA for repeatedly giving out marriage licenses to gay couples in violation of the state law.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — State officials asked a court to stop a rogue county from issuing marriage licenses to gay couples on Tuesday, nearly a week after a clerk began granting them in violation of Pennsylvania law.

The petition filed by the Health Department in Commonwealth Court alleges that D. Bruce Hanes, the register of wills in Montgomery County, "repeatedly and continuously" flouted the law. As of Tuesday afternoon, the county had granted 34 licenses and registered six same-sex marriages.

"There is no limit to the administrative and legal chaos that is likely to flow from the clerk's unlawful practice of issuing marriage licenses to those who are not permitted under Pennsylvania law to marry," the lawsuit said.

Pennsylvania is the only northeastern state without same-sex marriages or civil unions. Hanes began issuing licenses to same-sex couples shortly after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down part of the federal Defense of Marriage of Act.

At the time, Hanes said he wanted to "come down on the right side of history and the law." He declined to comment Tuesday on the pending litigation.

The Health Department, which oversees marriage licenses for the state, said in the lawsuit that Hanes' actions are interfering with the agency's administrative responsibilities and would likely lead to illegal claims for benefits. A department spokeswoman also declined to comment.

The developments come the same day that Republican Gov. Tom Corbett's office indicated that it would defend the state's marriage law in a separate legal challenge filed by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Attorney General Kathleen Kane, a Democrat who supports same-sex marriage, had said earlier this month that she wouldn't defend the state in that suit because she believes the law to be unconstitutional.

On Tuesday, Corbett's general counsel wrote in a letter to Kane's first deputy that the governor's office would defend the law. But General Counsel James Schultz said that Kane's refusal "establishes a very troubling precedent."

"This will create chaos and uncertainty — not unlike what we are seeing in the unlawful actions" of Hanes in Montgomery County, Schultz wrote.

A 1996 state law defines marriage as a civil contract in which a man and a woman take each other as husband and wife. It says same-sex marriages — even if entered legally elsewhere — are void in Pennsylvania.

Civil Disobedience :salute:

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rand Paul fires back at Christie with fat jokes. It's not even a good one, I mean if you're going to stoop to that level at least make it good.

Rand Paul: Chris Christie Is ‘The King Of Bacon’

The public feud between Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R), both potential presidential candidates in 2016, continued to percolate Tuesday, with the libertarian stalwart firing back in response to claims that Kentucky was bringing too much public funds home from Washington.

"This is the king of bacon talking about bacon," Paul said about Christie on CNN's 'The Situation Room.'

Earlier in the day, Christie told reporters that Paul should "start cutting the pork barrel spending" he brings back to his state, citing statistics that show Kentucky receiving more than double for every dollar it sends to Washington than the state of New Jersey.

Rand Paul needs to go home. He isn't ready for the big leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom