• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched Monday's Daily Show. Stewart was such an ignorant asshole to Sebelius. Where did that come from? Does he really not understand this stuff? That's never really been an impression he's given off before.

Stewart isn't as intelligent as people say he is. He's a fantastic debater but not the smartest guy on the block, though he is definitely not dumb and nails points at times. His ideology is of a typical American liberal.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
New York Times: Many in G.O.P. Offer Theory: Default Wouldn’t Be That Bad

“We always have enough money to pay our debt service,” said Mr. Burr, who pointed to a stream of tax revenue flowing into the Treasury as he shrugged off fears of a cascading financial crisis. “You’ve had the federal government out of work for close to two weeks; that’s about $24 billion a month. Every month, you have enough saved in salaries alone that you’re covering three-fifths, four-fifths of the total debt service, about $35 billion a month. That’s manageable for some time.”

“It really is irresponsible of the president to try to scare the markets,” said Senator Rand Paul, Republican of Kentucky. “If you don’t raise your debt ceiling, all you’re saying is, ‘We’re going to be balancing our budget.’ So if you put it in those terms, all these scary terms of, ‘Oh my goodness, the world’s going to end’ — if we balance the budget, the world’s going to end? Why don’t we spend what comes in?”

“If you propose it that way,” he said of not raising the debt limit, “the American public will say that sounds like a pretty reasonable idea.”

To Representative Paul Broun, Republican of Georgia and a candidate for the Senate, it is a question of ranking the evils.

“There are a lot of things that are going to affect our economy,” he said. “The greatest threat right now is Obamacare. It’s already destroyed jobs, it’s already destroyed our economy, and if it stays in place as it is now, it’s going to destroy America.”

Representative Ted Yoho, a freshman Florida Republican who had no experience in elective office before this year, said the largest economy on earth should learn from his large-animal veterinary practice.

“Everybody talks about how destabilizing doing this will be on the markets,” he said. “And you’ll see that initially, but heck, I’ve seen that in my business. When you go through that, and you address the problem and you address your creditors and say, ‘Listen, we’re going to pay you. We’re just not going to pay you today, but we’re going to pay you with interest, and we will pay everybody that’s due money’ — if you did that, the world would say America is finally addressing their problem.”

Representative Justin Amash, Republican of Michigan and a leader of the House’s libertarian wing, said: “There’s no way to default on Oct. 17. We will have enough money to make interest payments. The issue is, how do we restructure our government so we don’t have to keep hitting the debt ceiling?”

Ok, this is starting to look like an official talking point of the republican party. What's going on? Why are these guys talking like this? What in the world are they possibly thinking?

Is there any explanation other than they plan to actually take us to default?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Hannity was super pissed about everything tonight, and Obummer is the worst president ever. I can't believe people eat this shit up so bad.

I'm sure for some at least, they would rather lie to themselves and perpetuate that lie to others than accept a black man could do arguably the most important job in the world even half decently.

Hannity strikes me as such a person. He is the worst person on Fox News, which is saying something given the competition.

Ok, this is starting to look like an official talking point of the republican party. What's going on? Why are these guys talking like this? What in the world are they possibly thinking?

I linked that article earlier this page... and yeah, it does seem like a lot of Republicans now really do want to default. They've clearly either completely lost their minds, or are so devoted to appeasing the craziest anti-spending zealots on the right that they're willing to destroy the world's economy to get their way. Either that or they'll cave at the last second and raise the debt limit, but it's not sounding like that will happen.

AniHawk

I linked that article earlier this page... and yeah, it does seem like a lot of Republicans now really do want to default. They've clearly either completely lost their minds, or are so devoted to appeasing the craziest anti-spending zealots on the right that they're willing to destroy the world's economy to get their way. Either that or they'll cave at the last second and raise the debt limit, but it's not sounding like that will happen.

i hope obama has a secret plan to kill the debt limit or at least indefinitely delay relying on congress to increase it somehow.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
i hope obama has a secret plan to kill the debt limit or at least indefinitely delay relying on congress to increase it somehow.

The thing is, investors aren't going to like not knowing if obama's secret plan is legal or not. It's hard to feel confident in putting a bunch of money into the government if you don't know if the radicalized solution will stand in the supreme court.

Might not be as painful as giving investors no doubt that we're in default, but still very painful.

Riki

I'm becoming more convinced this is more about sticking it to Obama, personally, rather than any full blown 100% desire to defund the ACA.
That's always what it's been about. The GOP just wants Democrats (especially a black Democrat) to fail at everything because they know the Republican party is dying.
If you can't win, cheat.
If you can't cheat, ignore the rules and cheat harder.

East Lake

Stewart's your typical NPR liberal except he happens to have a sense of humor. But, he really really really wants reasonable moderateness - see the whole rally to restore sanity and repeated visits by McCain to the show before '08. He only seems superliberal because of the idiocy of the GOP over the past decade. Remember, Krugman seemed like a sober minded centrist during the 90's as well. That's how he got a Time's column in the first place.
Yeah I agree. At least that's the impression I got when I used to watch him. I've never regularly watched the show but a couple years ago I used to tune in here and there when I still payed for cable.

Something else that has bothered me too is that a lot of the interviews are uncomfortable to watch. Like I get the feeling that the Daily show correspondents are often unnecessarily rude in order to be funny. In some cases it can be appropriate but I just don't feel they need to be sarcastic douche bags to create good material. Particularly when the person being interviewed isn't all that aware of how the show operates.

This was on Colbert but maybe a couple months ago he did a story on a rural town coming around to allow gay rights. It was pretty uplifting to see but it was framed in sort of this sarcastic look at these country idiots tone, and iirc the crowd even had a few laughs at the townspeople which left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That's always what it's been about. The GOP just wants Democrats (especially a black Democrat) to fail at everything because they know the Republican party is dying.

I don't think they have demonstrated any kind of awareness of self destruction at all (though I imagine this is dawning on some Republicans now behind closed doors).

My take on their obstructionism is that it has a very simple aim - don't let the Democrats and a Democrat President achieve anything while they are out of power, then point to that "ineffectiveness" when they retain power so they can steamroll through their agenda.

Problem is, somewhere along the way some established and new Republican representatives forgot about that aim as they started to buy into the facade they had created because the echo chamber was too strong. The fake narrative that was concocted to disguise their simple minded obstructionism is now an argument some Republicans both believe is legitimate and rally around.

Tristam

Has anyone ever bought enough servers to run an anticipated website/game? It's unthinkable that they weren't prepared for high traffic.

So dumb.

DHHS seems to use AWS a lot, and I'm amazed if they haven't used it here. If you have a half-way competent developer or sysadmin, AWS should almost certainly ensure that you almost never experience downtime.

ido

Somebody help me out here if I'm mistaken, but essentially what that wall of quotes from the GOP is saying is that we should only spend what we take in(in taxes)? Isn't this pretty much the antithesis of the entire GOP platform?

We have shown that our country requires more spending than the taxes we take in, so the only way to offset that if you do not spend in deficit is to raise taxes tremendously, or have massive spending cuts(which basically = higher unemployment).

Diablos

Does anyone think that Obama lied about not being willing to raise the debt ceiling via the 14th amendment because he doesn't want to publicly relieve the pressure off Congress to do its job?
I don't think he really lied. His statement, as well as Lew's, prior to the conf was basically "we don't believe we have the authority." So while it seemed all but final that they flat out wouldn't do it, they reiterated the same thing across two or three news articles over several days. But President Obama not completely denouncing it at the conf pretty much tells you all you need to know. Bear in mind he's not a big fan of it... neither am I.

Just watched Obama's presser, pretty strong performance although I hate the household analogies. Some worked but ultimately it starts a slippery slope where you welcome other analogies that don't work (specifically US government debt vs household debt).

The absolute best part was watching Chuck Todd and the other TV reporters squirm in the front seats as they slowly realized Obama wasn't going to call their name.
Why? The household analogies are perfect. If you don't give a damn about ever paying your mortgage again unless you make outlandish demands to JP Morgan Chase expecting them to give in, why should they take you seriously? What the GOP is doing is the exact same thing...

Chuck Todd and the gang deserved everything they got. I really hope as the younger generations continue to mature and the baby boomers fizzle out that mainstream media as we know it bites the dust. Their coverage of this crisis is nearly a facade and they deserved to be ignored. They ought to be ashamed of themselves with the "both sides are to blame" narrative like a teacher yelling at her kindergartners at a playground.

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I guess I didn't make my point clear. I don't think it's at all accidental that Obama spoke at that length about how he wouldn't use the 14th amendment without mentioning the fact that his administration has previously said he couldn't even do it. If he wasn't at least considering the possibility, he would just have said it's not constitutional.
Agreed.

Worth noting:

Barack Obama said:
As I indicated before, we plan for every contingency. So obviously worst case scenario there are things we will try to do, but I will repeat: I don't think any option is good.
He's not happy about these options though. However, in a default, there are only so many options he'd have left and he has to be prepared. That is the crux of what he was trying to say. That is what I wanted to hear from him, directly, as the prior news articles did not make me feel confident about his administration's willingness to do whatever it takes to prevent default in light of the GOP shrugging it off. I think he has made that pretty clear now. It will be interesting to see what Lew has to say on Thursday.

If we default - it's not going to happen of course, but IF - I'd imagine Obama will try a whole bunch of things. There seems to be a perception that he's going to hide under his table doing nothing as the country explodes. He may have cards up his sleeve that we don't know about. But having listened to the presser, I don't think the 14th amendment is one of them. It's definitely true that such a move would automatically be subject to legal review and debate, which isn't a good thing during a fast moving crisis situation.
I think the 14th is his best option. Minting a trillion dollar coin looks like a clown move, and I would worry about inflation.

It would be interesting to see what happens after he uses the 14th/mints a coin/something else. Obviously the GOP would have a field day screaming impeachment from the rooftops, going to court, etc. The real question is how markets would respond. I.e. would it prevent a meltdown of the global economy or would they laugh at such an attempt?

You say there are things he is thinking of that we don't know about -- what could those things possibly be? I think tracking down every option has been exhausted by now, from the 14th to minting a coin to prioritizing payments in the Treasury. Obama already indicated his options are dwindling.

Chichikov

DHHS seems to use AWS a lot, and I'm amazed if they haven't used it here. If you have a half-way competent developer or sysadmin, AWS should almost certainly ensure that you almost never experience downtime.
It's not that simple, while services like AWS can definitely help you with these things, it's not a magic solution that guarantees end to end uptime on complicated web solution.
That being said, a cursory look at the problem (though to be fair, I have not messed with the website and have not thought about it too much) it seem like a type of problem that have been solved before in the industry and such poor roll-out is not a result we should accept, they obviously didn't do a proper capacity planning (although I can't think of a big tech company that hasn't screwed such roll out in it's life).

p.s.
I wonder if this was contracted out or done in house, anybody knows that?

GhaleonEB

A reader pointed this out at TPM, but the GOP can't have it both ways. Is the threat of default by not raising the debt ceiling such a massive amount of leverage that they can reverse Obama's signature domestic policy achievement, or it is no big deal? Ever since this started they've been talking and acting like the threat of default would buy them the moon. Now that we're closer, it's maybe not so bad. If it's not so bad, then you don't have any leverage. Pick one, people.

Riki

A reader pointed this out at TPM, but the GOP can't have it both ways. Is the threat of default by not raising the debt ceiling such a massive amount of leverage that they can reverse Obama's signature domestic policy achievement, or it is no big deal? Ever since this started they've been talking and acting like the threat of default would buy them the moon. Now that we're closer, it's maybe not so bad. If it's not so bad, then you don't have any leverage. Pick one, people.
They know the people will blame them if we default so the current talking point is to drastically downplay how bad it is in an attempt to make people not blame them.
And this is fucking scary. That means they are fully preparing to push us past that point.

Diablos

I think it underscores the potential implosion of the GOP if Boehner folds. They are having it both ways because... well, they are. One group of Republicans (40-50 Tea Partiers/those who sympathize with them/fear them) want it one way while the other side is attempting to be more rational about it (although completely lacking a spine). The end result is a utter messaging failure from the GOP but party leadership doesn't care.

The scary part is if they continue to let the Tea Party be the loudest voice in the room leading into a possible default. These people aren't rational, and if others in the party aren't brave enough to stand up to them, welp...

GhaleonEB

They know the people will blame them if we default so the current talking point is to drastically downplay how bad it is in an attempt to make people not blame them.

And this is fucking scary. That means they are fully preparing to push us past that point.

Yeah, I get why they're doing it. Downplaying the consequences of horrible behavior is nothing new in general or for them. It's just so obviously out of step with their actual behavior. Actions vs. words. And yes, it's more than a little alarming.

This simply proves what we have been screaming all along. They are not serious, and are only doing it to tank Obama's Presidency. They are going to destroy the world for political gain.

"And let that be a lesson you never elect a democrat to the whitehouse. Especially a black one."

Aaron

Yeah, I get why they're doing it. Downplaying the consequences of horrible behavior is nothing new in general or for them. It's just so obviously out of step with their actual behavior. Actions vs. words. And yes, it's more than a little alarming.
By downplaying the threat of default, the GOP looks more likely to carry it out, and thus make it a more credible threat. Make them seem crazy enough to do it. And that's true for Tea Party Republicans. Unlike the regular flavor, who only wish what's shown on Fox News is true, the Tea Party actually believe they're true. These warped version of the news have so infected these Republicans that they make policy decisions for a country that doesn't actually exist. They are the political equivalent of people who think they're vampires.

Diablos

Heh, all this rationalizing, the analogies, trying to make sense of what the GOP has become -- it's all very troubling because we really don't know what their next big move is... or isn't.

Heh, all this rationalizing, the analogies, trying to make sense of what the GOP has become -- it's all very troubling because we really don't know what their next big move is... or isn't.

I'm more or less trying to seriously comprehend HOW a group of people can be totally delusional to reality.

Aaron

I'm more or less trying to seriously comprehend HOW a group of people can be totally delusional to reality.
It's easy. We live in a world of selective information. There's so much data out there that you can surround yourself with only what conforms to your world view. So all they need to do is watch only Fox News, and listen only to conservative talk radio. They obliterate anything contrary to this view with a stream of what to a rational person seems like nonsense, but has become a conservative dialect.

They don't know either. It's plainly obvious that they had no idea about how to use this shutdown as a means to an end, because they have no end. They want everything that they couldn't get because they couldn't win a national election.

Shep asked some GOP Republican Congresswoman (forgive me, I'd never heard of her, so I forget the name) about how she would vote - up or down - on a bill to raise the debt ceiling. All she could stammer out was along the lines of "I can't vote to increase the debt ceiling without (wish list of GOP talking points)". It's the epitome of painting yourself into a corner, but refusing to believe there's not a way out of this.

And no, I don't believe Boehner's got the cajones to lead his chamber out of this corner.

thefro

It's easy. We live in a world of selective information. There's so much data out there that you can surround yourself with only what conforms to your world view. So all they need to do is watch only Fox News, and listen only to conservative talk radio. They obliterate anything contrary to this view with a stream of what to a rational person seems like nonsense, but has become a conservative dialect.

What I can't understand is there's people who are relatively smart that buy into all this and they're critical of the mainstream media (and think they're getting fed baloney by them), but somehow Rush, Hannity, and Fox News, etc are all legit and don't have their own biases/spin. They don't apply that same critical eye to everything.

I think the 14th is his best option. Minting a trillion dollar coin looks like a clown move, and I would worry about inflation.

I think the 14th Amendment is probably the worst option and the one that is the least helpful to the American people (which is probably why it is taken most seriously).

You needn't worry about inflation with minting a coin. I don't know who put that thought in your head, but whether the government mints a coin or sells a bond, the Treasury is spending the same amount into the economy, which is the amount that Congress directed it to spend. Selling bonds and minting coins are just different ways that the Treasury pretends to spend money. It actually spends by creating the money from thin air. It's identical to the way that an NFL scoreboard operator "spends" points during a football game. The points don't "come from" anywhere.

Wonkbook: The GOP rewrites its ransom note

Two issues led to the shutdown. One was defunding or delaying Obamacare. The other, as Sen. Ted Cruz put it, was "making D.C. listen."
What's been remarkable -- and largely unnoticed -- is that Republicans have abandoned both those demands. But that hasn't led them to reopen the government -- much less swear off a debt-ceiling crisis. So the hostage remains even as the GOP rethinks and rewrites its ransom note.

The Republican Party initially justified this shutdown and these tactics to itself by arguing that it was channeling the will of the people and justified by the dangers of Obamacare. But they've lost pubic opinion and realized Obamacare isn't up for negotiation. But the loss of their original rationale for the shutdown hasn't led them to reopen the government. So now, as Rep. Martin Stutzman truthfully but unfortunately put it, they're just trying “to get something out of this." They don't know what they want except for something that lets them argue they didn't lose.

So it looks like reality is beginning to set in. If Ryan's bailing on defund/delay, it's over Johnny. They're hoping for some face saving cuts in the budget.

PERFECT
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

So it looks like reality is beginning to set in. If Ryan's bailing on defund/delay, it's over Johnny. They're hoping for some face saving cuts in the budget.

3420_watch-canada-on-strike.jpg

"We got these coupons...to Bennigans! And gumballs!"

I think the 14th Amendment is probably the worst option and the one that is the least helpful to the American people (which is probably why it is taken most seriously).

You needn't worry about inflation with minting a coin. I don't know who put that thought in your head, but whether the government mints a coin or sells a bond, the Treasury is spending the same amount into the economy, which is the amount that Congress directed it to spend. Selling bonds and minting coins are just different ways that the Treasury pretends to spend money. It actually spends by creating the money from thin air. It's identical to the way that an NFL scoreboard operator "spends" points during a football game. The points don't "come from" anywhere.

More importantly, minting the coin is irrelevant to inflation, since that "money" created by doing so never enters the money supply. At least, not in any rate greater than the standard amount of government spending in the yearly budget.

Or to put it simply:

Printing a trillion in cash and allowing banks to loan it out increases inflation.

Minting a trillion dollar coin and locking it in a room where it will never actually be seen by consumers and financial institutions does not.

The worst thing about it is just the optics, since most people don't actually understand where money comes from.

Diablos

PERFECT
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/

dqHFcFI.png

More importantly, minting the coin is irrelevant to inflation, since that "money" created by doing so never enters the money supply. At least, not in any rate greater than the standard amount of government spending in the yearly budget.

Or to put it simply:

Printing a trillion in cash and allowing banks to loan it out increases inflation.

Minting a trillion dollar coin and locking it in a room where it will never actually be seen by consumers and financial institutions does not.

The worst thing about it is just the optics, since most people don't actually understand where money comes from.

Noted. I wasn't expecting there to automatically be inflation but I came across this:

Inflation risks

The Fed's purchase of the trillion dollar coin would be largely analogous to the securities purchases that are part of Quantitative easing (QE), in both cases adding to the monetary base, which is the sum of currency in circulation and bank reserves.[53][54] In the case of the coin, commercial bank reserves would increase as the Treasury spent the proceeds from the coin's purchase by the Fed.[53] If banks loan out these reserves, the money supply increases and if the money supply increases too rapidly, the economy could overheat, adding to inflation and increasing expectations of future inflation.[54] In April 2011 a paper published by the St Louis Fed said "some believe QE will sharply increase inflation rates; however, these fears are not consistent with economic theory and empirical evidence — assuming the Fed is both willing and able to reverse QE as the recovery gains momentum." The paper added that "if the public trusts that the increase in the monetary base QE creates is only temporary, then they will not expect rapid inflation in the near future. These expectations collectively influence actual pricing behavior and, in turn, actual inflation."[54] The Federal Reserve could ensure that commercial banks do not lend out excess reserves by paying interest on their reserves at the Fed so that the return commercial banks receive on them is greater than they could receive from alternative uses.[53][54] Finally, in the case of the coin, the Fed could also sterilize the government's spending of the coin by selling other assets from its balance sheet on a dollar-for-dollar basis, in which case the effect on the monetary base should net to zero.[53] If the debt ceiling were lifted, the Treasury could use borrowing to buy the coin back from the Fed and return it to the Mint to be melted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillion_dollar_coin#Inflation_risks

It goes on to state that Bernanke may have to order the coin to be minted, that could be messy depending on how he feels about it. Then again I don't think the Fed Chair is as idiotic as the Tea Party :p

If nothing else it could set a bad precedent, but I realize it isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Still, it hasn't really been done before.

pigeon

Banned
It's not that simple, while services like AWS can definitely help you with these things, it's not a magic solution that guarantees end to end uptime on complicated web solution.
That being said, a cursory look at the problem (though to be fair, I have not messed with the website and have not thought about it too much) it seem like a type of problem that have been solved before in the industry and such poor roll-out is not a result we should accept, they obviously didn't do a proper capacity planning (although I can't think of a big tech company that hasn't screwed such roll out in it's life).

p.s.
I wonder if this was contracted out or done in house, anybody knows that?

I read a great article about this yesterday but now can't find it. I thought it was on Wonkblog...I'll keep looking, but here's the summary:

The healthcare.gov website actually works fine (#slatepitch). Even at the peak of traffic, you could just go to it and surf around and do research with zero problems with server load. (I can actually independently verify this!) The problems only start appearing when you try to actually use the marketplace.

The designers of the marketplace used a pretty common industry pattern where they separated logging in and account creation out onto another server which passes you through to the main server. (This is a pretty standard approach that's used by most MMOs, for example.) It's the login server (which was outsourced to a private contractor) that's crashing under load.

Unfortunately, the federal website is designed to require you to have an account to use basically any aspects of the marketplace. This is not necessarily insane -- since there's so much private information being thrown around, it's potentially a security win to make sure all your secure information is only input and carried around in one place, with the rest of the app just checking in with it. On the other hand, this strategy probably increases the load on the login server, and if that goes down, none of the rest of the site is usable.

The other problem, which should be obvious from looking at today's complaint pattern, is that the login server didn't fail gracefully -- it apparently corrupted a bunch of accounts it was creating, which is why some people who created their account on Oct 1 now can't get past the first few screens while other people are creating accounts and using the website now. This is obviously a huge design fuckup, and, frankly, one I feel like you really shouldn't be making -- I kind of assumed atomic database updates would be baked into whatever solution they used, but obviously not. This is a big part of the ongoing problem, because once you've munged the database, there's not necessarily a really obvious way to automatically clean it up or handle the bad data.

Diablos

Yeah, pigeon, when I last logged in it wanted me to do the application all over again. I'm assuming my previous one got corrupted and was purged from the system. I hope, because my eligibility results have been nothing but a white screen since signing up last week.

I read a great article about this yesterday but now can't find it. I thought it was on Wonkblog...I'll keep looking, but here's the summary:

The healthcare.gov website actually works fine (#slatepitch). Even at the peak of traffic, you could just go to it and surf around and do research with zero problems with server load. (I can actually independently verify this!) The problems only start appearing when you try to actually use the marketplace.

The designers of the marketplace used a pretty common industry pattern where they separated logging in and account creation out onto another server which passes you through to the main server. (This is a pretty standard approach that's used by most MMOs, for example.) It's the login server (which was outsourced to a private contractor) that's crashing under load.

Unfortunately, the federal website is designed to require you to have an account to use basically any aspects of the marketplace. This is not necessarily insane -- since there's so much private information being thrown around, it's potentially a security win to make sure all your secure information is only input and carried around in one place, with the rest of the app just checking in with it. On the other hand, this strategy probably increases the load on the login server, and if that goes down, none of the rest of the site is usable.

The other problem, which should be obvious from looking at today's complaint pattern, is that the login server didn't fail gracefully -- it apparently corrupted a bunch of accounts it was creating, which is why some people who created their account on Oct 1 now can't get past the first few screens while other people are creating accounts and using the website now. This is obviously a huge design fuckup, and, frankly, one I feel like you really shouldn't be making -- I kind of assumed atomic database updates would be baked into whatever solution they used, but obviously not. This is a big part of the ongoing problem, because once you've munged the database, there's not necessarily a really obvious way to automatically clean it up or handle the bad data.
Why didnt they hire the engineers and designers who worked on Obama's project Narwhal for 2012 campaign? Dumb.

The biggest problem about hitting the debt ceiling is not *quite* that people who are supposed to be paid that day won't be paid.

Rather, it's that the market will lose confidence that the US Government is the most rock solid security in the world.

The reason Obama doesn't wanna do the 14th amendment is that he believes it will be litigated to death for months. That would generate the same uncertainty and lost confidence in the short term, even if people actually get paid.

pigeon

Banned
Why didnt they hire the engineers and designers who worked on Obama's project Narwhal for 2012 campaign? Dumb.

I mean, they probably did hire some of them. A bunch of them are probably still running OfA, too. But keep in mind that Narwhal probably had very difficult security and account requirements. In terms of the email part of that job, there's obviously no accounts to worry about, just data curation. In terms of the private app, there's almost no need for outward-facing account handling, because you actually don't WANT anybody to be able to make an account unless you just hired them.

I don't think it's crazy for the web designers to outsource login and account handling to a developer who spends all their time just working on login and account handling. As noted, at a certain size, that's pretty much what everybody does, because your job usually isn't to handle account creation, it's usually to do a thing, and account creation is overhead. The big problem here is that a) they fucked it up pretty badly for some reason, and b) there's no accountability apparently since HHS isn't willing to say "oh, yeah, it was all on TouchSupport" (or whoever).

Riki

The biggest problem about hitting the debt ceiling is not *quite* that people who are supposed to be paid that day won't be paid.

Rather, it's that the market will lose confidence that the US Government is the most rock solid security in the world.

The reason Obama doesn't wanna do the 14th amendment is that he believes it will be litigated to death for months. That would generate the same uncertainty and lost confidence in the short term, even if people actually get paid.
Plus the GOP would try to impeach him and the rest of his presidancy would be meaningless, regardless of if they succeed.

I've long felt republicans want to essentially write off the Bush years by ruining Obama's presidency. If they can just get him in the <40% approval range and completely wreck voter confidence in him, they'll succeed. The problem has been that Obama tends to rebound and people generally like him even if they dislike his politics.

What better way to end his presidency than force a default. He'd spend the next three years dealing with creditors as another recession raged - this time with no hope of a stimulus passing. Then in 2016 they can run against "the last 8 years" just as democrats did in 2008.

I think GOP leadership would rather walk close to the edge just so that damage alone can throw off the recovery, but many members clearly want to jump. We've essentially been dealing with a financial crisis 1-2 times a year since 2011. That's not a coincidence. Which is also why Obama cannot afford to give up now. If he does this will happen again. If republicans fail then the tea party's "a shutdown wouldn't hurt us at all" view would no longer be valid, and House leadership could presumably ignore them next time.

Noted. I wasn't expecting there to automatically be inflation but I came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillion_dollar_coin#Inflation_risks

It goes on to state that Bernanke may have to order the coin to be minted, that could be messy depending on how he feels about it. Then again I don't think the Fed Chair is as idiotic as the Tea Party :p

If nothing else it could set a bad precedent, but I realize it isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Still, it hasn't really been done before.

It would be a great precedent! And I wouldn't get your economic views from Wikipedia. The bit that you quoted reflects a sorely deficient understanding of the monetary system and banking, beginning at the very first sentence: "The Fed's purchase of the trillion dollar coin would be largely analogous to the securities purchases that are part of Quantitative easing (QE), in both cases adding to the monetary base, which is the sum of currency in circulation and bank reserves."

First, the Fed doesn't purchase the coin. It is deposited by the Treasury. Second, the deposit does not affect the sum of currency in circulation and bank reserves, because the Fed simply credits the Treasury's account in the amount of the face value of the coin. Third, this is not at all analogous to QE. In QE the Fed buys financial assets. The Fed buys nothing when the Treasury mints a coin. That's three mistakes in one sentence, which is pretty damn remarkable.

Riki

I've long felt republicans want to essentially write off the Bush years by ruining Obama's presidency. If they can just get him in the <40% approval range and completely wreck voter confidence in him, they'll succeed. The problem has been that Obama tends to rebound and people generally like him even if they dislike his politics.

What better way to end his presidency than force a default. He'd spend the next three years dealing with creditors as another recession raged - this time with no hope of a stimulus passing. Then in 2016 they can run against "the last 8 years" just as democrats did in 2008.

I think GOP leadership would rather walk close to the edge just so that damage alone can throw off the recovery, but many members clearly want to jump. We've essentially been dealing with a financial crisis 1-2 times a year since 2011. That's not a coincidence. Which is also why Obama cannot afford to give up now. If he does this will happen again. If republicans fail then the tea party's "a shutdown wouldn't hurt us at all" view would no longer be valid, and House leadership could presumably ignore them next time.
And that people actively vote for those that would try to destroy the country is depressing.

Can't link on my mobile but a couple big things on twitter:

-Koch Industries sent a letter to House republicans today saying they do not support tying Obamacare to shutdown/debt ceiling

-Boehner and Cantor are meeting with Pelosi and Hoyer right now, behind closed doors

Diablos

It would be a great precedent! And I wouldn't get your economic views from Wikipedia. The bit that you quoted reflects a sorely deficient understanding of the monetary system and banking, beginning at the very first sentence: "The Fed's purchase of the trillion dollar coin would be largely analogous to the securities purchases that are part of Quantitative easing (QE), in both cases adding to the monetary base, which is the sum of currency in circulation and bank reserves."

First, the Fed doesn't purchase the coin. It is deposited by the Treasury. Second, the deposit does not affect the sum of currency in circulation and bank reserves, because the Fed simply credits the Treasury's account in the amount of the face value of the coin. Third, this is not at all analogous to QE. In QE the Fed buys financial assets. The Fed buys nothing when the Treasury mints a coin. That's three mistakes in one sentence, which is pretty damn remarkable.
Wow, that's a lot of epic fail if you are right. Perhaps you should edit it with better sources. Seriously. Thanks for clearing that up.

And that people actively vote for those that would try to destroy the country is depressing.
Well you can take some bittersweet comfort in knowing had the GOP not Gerrymandered the Tea Party caucus into lily white districts they would probably only be about half as strong right now.

-Koch Industries sent a letter to House republicans today saying they do not support tying Obamacare to shutdown/debt ceiling

-Boehner and Cantor are meeting with Pelosi and Hoyer right now, behind closed doors
Yeah, noticed that myself.

So weird to picture Boehner and Cantor meeting with Pelosi and Hoyer.

Koch getting scared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom