• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So instead of getting angry at all the ignorant Republicans posting shit on my facebook news feed, I've decided I'm just going to troll the shit out of these people. It soooo much more satisfying.

I'm actually waiting until Boehner folds. Gonna let them spread as much FUD and "we're winning" shit. Then I'll swoop in at the end with epic trolling.

I actually didn't troll any GOP friends after Obama won. I told them Obama would win, showed them Silver's charts, and kept quiet as they talked about skewing. And on November 7th I just chilled out. So I'll sure to go full troll after this debt shit is over.

Diablos

I loathe the idea of politicians using arrest as a political stunt. Ellison's camp is sending photos out of him being handcuffed. It's all a game.
You ain't got no passion, Maury.

At least Dems are spending it in noble places and not, you know, masturbating to the thought of default

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Paul Ryan with a WSJ Op-Ed

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303442004579123943669167898.html

Ignoring his outright fabrications and stuff, what I don't get is that he basically is arguing a framework of trading the sequester cuts for long time entitlement and structural reform.

Okay, fine. Why does the debt ceiling and government need to be held hostage to have those negotiations!? He makes no solid case for that anywhere in the op-ed.

Of course he doesn't. If he did he would be admitting that this entire thing is the GOP's fault.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I'm actually waiting until Boehner folds. Gonna let them spread as much FUD and "we're winning" shit. Then I'll swoop in at the end with epic trolling.

I actually didn't troll any GOP friends after Obama won. I told them Obama would win, showed them Silver's charts, and kept quiet as they talked about skewing. And on November 7th I just chilled out. So I'll sure to go full troll after this debt shit is over.

Me too, I didn't say a word...

well actually I posted this picture the night Obama won-

ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

with the caption: "I feel like Cartman in this pic, right now."

Jooney

Ignoring his outright fabrications and stuff, what I don't get is that he basically is arguing a framework of trading the sequester cuts for long time entitlement and structural reform.

Okay, fine. Why does the debt ceiling and government need to be held hostage to have those negotiations!? He makes no solid case for that anywhere in the op-ed.

Exactly. Throughout this whole process I have not heard one satisfactory reason as to why a standard budget process should be used to enact legislative gains. Sadly that point is not considered by a good chunk of the American people.

That electoral map i posted a million times was also posted on facebook and my right-wing friends staunchly disagreed with it

I really enjoyed election night

Because he knows without them and the threat of default nobody will vote for the cuts he wants

Because he knows without them and the threat of default nobody will vote for the cuts he wants

We know he knows that, but my point is he doesn't even try to make an argument other than the false "it's been done before" bit.

What he describes is normal budget negotiations than routinely happen without the spector of default looming. I want to see him argue why that condition is now necessary.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Rhetorical question above I know, but in the interest of venting...

He can't say in public what the actual answer is which is "we have no other leverage".

The best they have been able to come up with in the absence of being able to say that is "Democracy is about compromise, and Democrats aren't willing to negotiate on anything and this is the only way to bring them to the table". Which itself is a flawed concept on multiple levels.

How a significant part of the country buys into that and thinks Republicans have the moral high-ground here I don't know.

ivysaur12

Banned
Paul Ryan's op-ed:

The president is giving Congress the silent treatment. He's refusing to talk, even though the federal government is about to hit the debt ceiling. That's a shame—because this doesn't have to be another crisis. It could be a breakthrough. We have an opportunity here to pay down the national debt and jump-start the economy, if we start talking, and talking specifics, now. To break the deadlock, both sides should agree to common-sense reforms of the country's entitlement programs and tax code.

I just can't with this.

EDIT: OH IT WAS ALREADY POSTED A WHILE AGO K

Jooney

I wish Boehner would just call the damn vote already, but at this stage I think he is worried about losing his speakership. He's probably can't sleep, with Eric Cantor a moment away from knifing him in the back. That guy is like Starscream to Boehner's Megatron.

Paul Ryan's op-ed:

Truly a master of taking advantage of the electoriate's short memory.

I wish Boehner would just call the damn vote already, but at this stage I think he is worried about losing his speakership. He's probably can't sleep, with Eric Cantor a moment away from knifing him in the back. That guy is like Starscream to Boehner's Megatron.

Truly a master of taking advantage of the electoriate's short memory.

Actually a lot has been written recently about how joined at the hip they've been. If Boehner is fucked, it's likely Cantor is too.

The tea party won't have the votes to remove Boehner this year IMO. As I said in the other thread, I think he'll decide not to run for re-election after this farce.

Jooney

Actually a lot has been written recently about how joined at the hip they've been. If Boehner is fucked, it's likely Cantor is too.

The tea party won't have the votes to remove Boehner this year IMO. As I said in the other thread, I think he'll decide not to run for re-election after this farce.

Interesting, I've read otherwise but you're more in the know. Who would be the other contenders for the Speakership from the GOP?

Boehner's job is terrible, but I don't feel sorry for him because the current situation is largely of his own making.

Just read that house republicans are furious at Harry Reid,who they think is controlling Obama and is the brains behind Obama's no negotiate policy.

Jooney

Just read that house republicans are furious at Harry Reid,who they think is controlling Obama and is the brains behind Obama's no negotiate policy.

There's been stories about how Reid has basically told both Obama and Biden to stay away from negotiations and leave it to him. Which is fine by me: too many chefs spoil the broth as they say. Reid has been in the Senate long enough to know how this will play out.

There's been stories about how Reid has basically told both Obama and Biden to stay away from negotiations and leave it to him. Which is fine by me: too many chefs spoil the broth as they say. Reid has been in the Senate long enough to know how this will play out.
Sounds good to me, along with Obama getting out there and reiterating his position every day as he's been doing. Its the best of all options I think.

Jooney

The House speaker, John A. Boehner, responded to President Obama’s lengthy news conference on Monday afternoon by reiterating that he “was disappointed that the president refuses to negotiate.”

In his own news conference, Mr. Boehner listed what he said were major bipartisan negotiations over the past three decades: in the 1980s between President Ronald Reagan and Speaker Tip O’Neill; in the 1990s between President Clinton and Congressional Republicans; and even Mr. Obama’s discussions over the debt ceiling in the spring of 2011. And he again urged the president to begin what he called a “conversation.”

“When it comes to the debt limit, I agree with the president: We should pay our bills,” Mr. Boehner said. “I didn’t come here to shut down the government. I certainly didn’t come here to default on our debt.”

But he rejected the president’s call for Republicans to vote to raise the debt ceiling before any negotiations could begin.

“What the president said today was if there is unconditional surrender by Republicans, he’ll sit down and talk to us,” Mr. Boehner said. “That’s not the way our government works.”

This just looks increasingly to be a staring contest to see who will blink first before Oct 17.

The messaging war is between "Call a vote" vs. "Call for negotiations". Those are the entrenched, calcified positions - and I don't see them changing anytime soon.

Diablos

Boehner is just hoping the American public starts to believe Obama/Dems never negotiated anything. They gave Boehner Ryan's budget for pete's sake.

ISOM

lol the one thing I remembered about the press conference today was when obama said republicans are treating the debt ceiling as if it's no big deal, while trying to hold hostage the debt ceiling. Just retarded politics right there..

(Shamelessly stolen from NullPointer, but I like to imagine that's how Obama's call to Boehner went this morning)
Of course if you take the analogy further it goes in some interesting but possibly prescient places.

iDeA9H0KVPri5.jpg

Captured in the web of some uhh, colorful characters, and forced into doing some very bad things.

But aside from some anal violation it all works out in the end.

iboWdzLZKdiel.jpg

Reid convinced Obama to leave Biden out of this

Reid has been vigilant in ensuring that Biden isn’t in a position to fold. When Reid was leaving the White House meeting with congressional leaders last week, his eyes grew wide, according to a source present.

He was informed that Biden had exited with McConnell.
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/joe-biden-government-shutdown-debt-ceiling-97969.html?hp=l4

Thank god. Biden is a cool dude but seems more concerned with getting something done than getting something done right. I suppose the same is the case with Obama, but at least Obama is willing to play hardball (like now).

Reid is definitely not the guy I want in my corner to change senate institutional rules. But if I'm heading into a political fight, I want him in my corner no questions asked. Same with Pelosi.

Angry Fork

So is Yellen a center-right nominee that is being lauded because she's a woman or is she actually something of a liberal/leftist? I don't know anything about her but I get the impression the fandom is a result of the other option being worse like everything else democrat. Is that the case?

Fox318

Of course if you take the analogy further it goes in some interesting but possibly prescient places.

iDeA9H0KVPri5.jpg

Captured in the web of some uhh, colorful characters, and forced into doing some very bad things.

But aside from some anal violation it all works out in the end.

iboWdzLZKdiel.jpg

If getting raped is working out in the end.

Snake

So I missed Obummer talking today. Did he get blackman angry yet or was he still channeling his inner cool?

Mostly inner cool, but he made a good showing nonetheless. Especially during the Q&A.

I have little doubt that as days go by Obama will continue to amp up the pressure until we get closer to the actual do-or-die dates. Near the end we'll start seeing primetime national addresses, where he'll nail in the idea that what's coming [without House action] is nothing more than the Republican Party choosing to crash the economy.

If Boehner lets it get that far he'll probably move to perform the dual-cave on the budget/debt ceiling and from then on will try to portray himself as being "the bigger man" for choosing not to unleash hell on Earth.

Boehner, for the time being, is playing it cool. He has told Republicans in closed sessions and in conversations on the House floor that he has “something up his sleeve.” No one is sure what he’s talking about, and he hasn’t revealed his strategy. Several Republicans he is close with says he’s keeping his cards close to his chest.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...-government-shutdown-98032.html#ixzz2hBNgzGEM

Where's that itsfuckingnothing.gif when you need it?

If it ultimately comes down to it, the Democrats could go "negotiate" and "compromise". After all, a negotiation is all about both sides getting something. They can demand stuff too and turn the argument back around about why the Republican's are not really "negotiating". But I prefer our current method to this fictional scenario. "Negotiating" with these clowns is not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom