• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1

Status
Not open for further replies.
After Comeback on Behind kid Mark Sanford's win, I don't have much faith in congressional races for democrats. The districts are far too gerrymandered and made up of kooky people for democrats to score.
Bachmann only won by 4,000 votes in November, and that was before the FBI probe into her campaign. If they turn up something substantial, she's toast.

The more I look at it, the More convinced I am that the "Scandalpalooza" might be good for turning one of the worst elements of the obama administration into an actual scandal.

That is, the crackdowns on whistleblowers. Without 2 BS scandals (well, one BS scandal and one scandal that has nothing to do with Obama), this would be another technical fight. Instead, people actually care about this now.

Hopefully the pendulum doesn't swing the other way, as the AP/Foxnewsstuff is all legal. Actual Illegal things are generally worse scandals, so I have a feeling republicans will harp on everything but the AP/Fox news scandals.

Chichikov

The more I look at it, the More convinced I am that the "Scandalpalooza" might be good for turning one of the worst elements of the obama administration into an actual scandal.

That is, the crackdowns on whistleblowers. Without 2 BS scandals (well, one BS scandal and one scandal that has nothing to do with Obama), this would be another technical fight. Instead, people actually care about this now.

Hopefully the pendulum doesn't swing the other way, as the AP/Foxnewsstuff is all legal. Actual Illegal things are generally worse scandals, so I have a feeling republicans will harp on everything but the AP/Fox news scandals.
I was hoping for that too, but obviously the AP thing is getting no coverage by anyone.

Tamanon

Banned

I'm not entirely sure people care about it though. Much of the populace distrusts the media.

besada

Banned
Am I the only one who'd be okay if they impeached Obama? Seriously, Uncle Joe in charge for a couple of years? Wouldn't that be great?

And then he could run again:)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not entirely sure people care about it though. Much of the populace distrusts the media.

There was an onion article recently about that.

Nation Supposes It's Outraged By White House Scandals

WASHINGTON—Reacting to the number of major scandals currently plaguing the White House, a somewhat confused American populace told reporters Friday that yeah, sure, they’re totally outraged or whatever about what’s currently going on in Washington.

Amid reports that the IRS targeted various conservative political groups, the Justice Department spied on Associated Press reporters, and the government covered up crucial national security details regarding the Benghazi attacks, the U.S. populace confirmed that the allegations “are, um, definitely very upsetting. Sure.”

“Everyone on television seems pretty mad about all this, so I guess I’m mad too,” said Denver-area marketing associate Greg Friedman, adding that what he felt was probably anger or some approximation of anger when he learned State Department emails about Benghazi contrasted with those released by the White House. “The government definitely shouldn’t have done all that stuff.”

Am I the only one who'd be okay if they impeached Obama? Seriously, Uncle Joe in charge for a couple of years? Wouldn't that be great?

That would be pretty funny, impeach Obama only to get Uncle Joe in the Oval Office. They're better off with Obama in there.

Bachmann only won by 4,000 votes in November, and that was before the FBI probe into her campaign. If they turn up something substantial, she's toast.
And she may have brought this on herself. By what I understand, a lot of people that worked for the campaign didn't get paid. If you don't pay your workers then they are likely to spill the dirt to reporters.

I wouldn't mind Joey running things. But I just don't see that happening considering they still can't actually figure out something to charge him with.

But it would be sad to see the first black president go down in impeachment. That said, if they actually find something real then go ahead and take him down.

Averon

But that was a Presidential election, though. I can't imagine the anti-Bachmann votes will be out in similar numbers in a non-Presidential election year. The earliest chance to remove Bachmann is 2016, imo.

But that was a Presidential election, though. I can't imagine the anti-Bachmann votes will be out in similar numbers in a non-Presidential election year. The earliest chance to remove Bachmann is 2016, imo.
Turnout in Minnesota is always highest in the nation. And trust me, the anti-Bachmann side will be out in full force, as they always are. Beating Bachmann is more about swaying independents than anything else.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

I'm kinda looking forward to Hillary taking the job at this point. She'll be much less conciliatory than Obama has been to idiots on the hill.

besada

Banned
I wouldn't mind Joey running things. But I just don't see that happening considering they still can't actually figure out something to charge him with.

But it would be sad to see the first black president go down in impeachment. That said, if they actually find something real then go ahead and take him down.
Oh, I don't think they'll be crazy enough to do it, but it highlights why partisan impeachments are so ridiculous.

You say that as if you believe he does have something.

If Bush didn't get impeached for all the dumbfuckery he did, no President, short of commiting Nazi-level genocide, should.

GOP leaders say impeachment talk premature
By STEVE PEOPLES | Associated Press – 35 mins ago

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — The Republican National Committee chairman and a leading conservative, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, urged caution Monday for Republican critics calling for President Barack Obama's impeachment, but would not rule out impeachment altogether as new details emerged about the White House's role in the developing scandal at the Internal Revenue Service.

"There's a few chapters before we get to the last one. So it's up to us to connect the dots first," RNC chairman Reince Priebus told reporters when asked impeachment ahead of a New Hampshire GOP fundraiser.

Some conservatives have compared recent IRS wrongdoing to the Watergate scandal, while Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., last week raised the prospect of impeachment.
"There isn't a weekend that hasn't gone by that someone says to me, 'Michele, what in the world are you all waiting for in Congress? Why aren't you impeaching the president? He's been making unconstitutional actions since he came into office,'"
Bachmann said during a Washington news conference with tea party leaders.
http://news.yahoo.com/gop-leaders-impeachment-talk-premature-211834512.html

Aaaand they finally figured out that they have been creating unrealistic expectations. Except crazy lady.

Jooney

I think Republicans will pay lip service to Impeachment, but will be unrelentless in their attack. They have the lessons learned from the Clinton days so they know that calling for impeachment can backfire.

You gotta admire the fervor of republicans though. They just don't give a fuck.

Jackson50

That is just astounding. It's bad enough that Reagan sold weapons to terrorists, but also dared to NEGOTIATE with them?! Isn't that a particularly egregious wingnut violation?

I know, I know. Reagan did a billion things that would otherwise piss off the teabagger set, but in most cases (tax hikes, amnesty, etc.) they could provide plausible deniability by blaming it on the Dems. But with this? Hell, the Dems were the ones AGAINST it.
For the cherry on top, the State Department and CIA collaborated with drug traffickers to finance the FDN, the largest contra group. This included not only using cartels as a conduit for transferring funds, although this practice was rare, but they also curtailed the investigation and prosecution of certain cartels. I'll note this is not an endorsement of Gary Webb's Dark Alliance. Most of his claims are unsubstantiated and approach conspiratorial.
Haha watch them try to impeach Obama over one of three of these. It's coming.

Graham is such a fucking twat, ughhh.

Dude was still confirmed 97-0. He must have some cred.
Speaking of confirmations, July appears to be an important month for filling our government's innumerable executive and judicial vacancies. If Republicans occlude thee prominent Democratic appointments, and I see no reason for a sudden reversal in their behavior, Reid's threatening the nuclear option. Of course, his threats are utterly devoid of credibility. But we can only hope. The number of vacancies is approaching catastrophically high levels.
I dunno but E3 cannot come sooner. I tire of inaction and obstruction in DC, so depressing.

I think the final weeks of the 2012 campaign accelerated my aging process ever so slightly -- I'm sure you all know exactly what I mean
Diablos gonna Diablos etc
No. Would you explain?

So you know that CNN poll that had Obama's approval rating going UP after the scandalpalooza?

Let's compare the approval ratings of the parties themselves:

Democratic Party - 52 approve, 43 disapprove
Republican Party - 35 approve, 59 disapprove

Holy shit!

No. Would you explain?
Just don't highlight that spoiler tag, it ruins the ending of Man of Steel.

So you know that CNN poll that had Obama's approval rating going UP after the scandalpalooza?

Let's compare the approval ratings of the parties themselves:

Democratic Party - 52 approve, 43 disapprove
Republican Party - 35 approve, 59 disapprove

Holy shit!

I wonder how worse those numbers will look if CIR goes down. Why are those numbers like that?

Averon

Boehner is sane, so he won't go along with impeachment, right? He was there when it happen to Clinton and saw how it backfired.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Boehner is sane, so he won't go along with impeachment, right? He was there when it happen to Clinton and saw how it backfired.

Depending on the base and other reps in his caucus he may not have a choice, that said he knows it'll backfire if they try it. He has to.

Okay, I'm on another LBJ book, "Indomitable Will."

"Then there was the matter of Johnson's gargantuan ego. Male aides invited to skinny-dip in the White House pool might be subjected to their genitalia being sized up unfavorably by the president, who nicknamed his own penis 'Jumbo.'"

Oh...dear...

Okay, I'm on another LBJ book, "Indomitable Will."

"Then there was the matter of Johnson's gargantuan ego. Male aides invited to skinny-dip in the White House pool might be subjected to their genitalia being sized up unfavorably by the president, who nicknamed his own penis 'Jumbo.'"

Oh...dear...

Have you heard the phone call call about him ordering some pants?

You say that as if you believe he does have something.

If Bush didn't get impeached for all the dumbfuckery he did, no President, short of commiting Nazi-level genocide, should.

No, I don't think he did anything. Just saying that if he did, he deserves to go down like anyone else that abuses power.

KingK

All of these scandal distractions and impeachment talk are making me fucking furious.

Republicans have been unwilling to engage in even the slightest resemblance of governing by obstructing every fucking thing imaginable from happening since 2010, and after killing gun control they were finally starting to take some bad press for it. But then they took a page from Mad Men; "if you don't like what's being said, change the conversation." And now we're all focused on scandalgate rather than actually passing anything of substance at all. I'm just glad that it looks like it might be backfiring. I hope we can get these fuckers out of the House in 2014 (very unlikely) so some shit could actually get done like in Obama's first two years.

And I still don't understand why I'm supposed to be mad at the IRS. If you label your "non-political" organization with "Tea Party," you deserve extra scrutiny. They should be giving extra scrutiny for groups that are clearly liberal political organizations as well (and as far as I know, they were, it's just that the Tea Party groups are the ones who decided to make a big fuss about it). I agree with the person earlier who said the real scandal here is that all of these clearly political organizations were even able to qualify in the end. And the fact that this has been turned into a huge scandal will just scare the IRS away from doing their job (which is probably exactly what the people who turned this into a scandal wanted).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom