• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecotic

I started reading Jeff Greenfield's book 'If Kennedy Lived' tonight, after absolutely loving his previous two alternate history books. It's so fantastic so far. Greenfield really captures the raw humanity behind politics. It's not written like some detatched thesis, Kennedy is the protagonist of the book. The opening chapter of the book really makes me feel what Kennedy was feeling to be alone in his hotel room the morning in Dallas when bad weather prevents an open motorcade and American history (radically?) departs. He doesn't know if he'll be re-elected, he thinks LBJ's looming scandals (all but forgotten now) are about to tank his Presidency, he worries his party will split in two over race. It's fascinating how well-researched it is too.

Chichikov

I started reading Jeff Greenfield's book 'If Kennedy Lived' tonight, after absolutely loving his previous two alternate history books. It's so fantastic so far. Greenfield really captures the raw humanity behind politics. It's not written like some detatched thesis, Kennedy is the protagonist of the book. The opening chapter of the book really makes me feel what Kennedy was feeling to be alone in his hotel room the morning in Dallas when bad weather prevents an open motorcade and American history (radically?) departs. He doesn't know if he'll be re-elected, he thinks LBJ's looming scandals (all but forgotten now) are about to tank his Presidency, he worries his party will split in two over race. It's fascinating how well-researched it is too.
We wouldn't have civil rights in the 60s, that's for sure, probably no medicaid (maybe medicare though).
The CIA would've probably kill more people and maybe get the US into a couple of more wars in Asia.

Gotchaye

So how exactly does he square lip service for hereditary poverty with lip service for merit? Maybe he should take up arguing with his mouth full, talk out of one side at a time.

It's not really too hard to square these. For example:

Opportunities to develop merit are unequally distributed. This is because poor people lack merit and, as part of that, fail in their responsibilities as parents. They wrong their children by not raising them well. So then because the parents are bad, the children grow up lacking merit, and the cycle repeats. But children born in poverty can overcome it and develop merit if they try hard enough. See: anecdotes. So clearly a solution is possible - we just need more children to do that. Sadly there's no way for the government to help break this cycle by giving handouts; that only promotes dependency and produces overall worse people and perhaps is poisonous to broader society. A culture of poverty can only change from within, and we just make it worse by rewarding people for not working, etc. Maybe if we criticize them more?

It's possible to acknowledge persistent inequality due to bad luck or historical injustice while denying that there is any present injustice (edit: except that perpetuated by the victims of past injustice) and that there is any responsibility on the part of historical winners to help. Because it is, sadly, impossible for them to help. Sadly. :(

My stress is going through the roof arguing with the conservatives I end up hanging out with.

Just had a 45 minute discussion on Affirmative Action with a registered lobbyist. Ugh. Everytime I hear the word 'meritocracy' to argue against it I hear 'screw the minorities/women/poor people/veterans'

Racial discrimination is something I hate viscerally.

Edit: on a different note, does anybody have any studies on private vs. public efficiency?

yeah i'm gonna go ahead and say I'm against AA, at least in university setting. all this does is work against the Asian American minority.

Excuse me if I actually like my sauce to actually taste good.

LLShC.gif

Sibylus

Banned

Opportunities to develop merit are unequally distributed. This is because poor people lack merit and, as part of that, fail in their responsibilities as parents. They wrong their children by not raising them well. So then because the parents are bad, the children grow up lacking merit, and the cycle repeats. But children born in poverty can overcome it and develop merit if they try hard enough. See: anecdotes. So clearly a solution is possible - we just need more children to do that. Sadly there's no way for the government to help break this cycle by giving handouts; that only promotes dependency and produces overall worse people and perhaps is poisonous to broader society. A culture of poverty can only change from within, and we just make it worse by rewarding people for not working, etc.
While I could see this fellow pointing to anecdote, it isn't exactly compelling to me compared to, say, history. A model of richly meritorious and poor merit-bereft is as only good as my willingness to hand-select this or that anecdote, it falls apart when taking in a wider view of a great number of people that do not fit it. That, and it ignores altogether negative feedback loops that are often simply out of the hands of even the most hard-working and meritorious parents: such as poverty's restriction of a child's security, nutrition, health, education, psychological maturation... all of which to my knowledge greatly compromise a child's ability to thrive. That, and this sort of untested assumption that affluence equals merit. Why should there be merit in a child inheriting a fortune, and lack of merit in a child inheriting poverty?

I would suspect him of employing a fallacy of the ideal of sorts, as though all of the right decisions could lift any given person out of poverty and into affluence. In a world with limitless opportunities, resources, and time, I could see that, but there is no indication that that world is ours. If all the world's children stood up and tried as hard as they physically could, there is no indication that they would take their meritorious reward, let alone that all the world's people would allow it to them. Hard work can be disenfranchised, it can be countered with more hard work, it can be devalued and misdirected, and ultimately I grapple with understanding people who sincerely believe that poverty is a game with a finite number of correct choices available to all to cancel it out. It's a rosy and idealistic view of the world that conceals a cynical and conniving game all its own: walk up the backs of the poor whilst promising them that one day they can follow, but to a different set of rules.

Opportunities to develop merit are unequally distributed. This is because poor people lack merit and, as part of that, fail in their responsibilities as parents. They wrong their children by not raising them well. So then because the parents are bad, the children grow up lacking merit, and the cycle repeats. But children born in poverty can overcome it and develop merit if they try hard enough. See: anecdotes. So clearly a solution is possible - we just need more children to do that. Sadly there's no way for the government to help break this cycle by giving handouts; that only promotes dependency and produces overall worse people and perhaps is poisonous to broader society. A culture of poverty can only change from within, and we just make it worse by rewarding people for not working, etc. Maybe if we criticize them more?

This is awesome. That's really the mind.

It's final: Health insurance companies must cover mental illness and substance abuse just as they cover physical diseases.

The above would probably have save a friend on mine from suicide-- the last couple of weeks he was trying to find a way to get help and ran into some dead ends.

The above would probably have save a friend on mine from suicide-- the last couple of weeks he was trying to find a way to get help and ran into some dead ends.

Eesh. I can relate. I was having severe mental problems earlier in the year and admitted myself to a local hospital because I no longer trusted myself; I was afraid I was gonna hurt myself. This was late February.

It begins...

Christie said:
“The president and the Congress have to step up to the plate, they have to secure our borders and they have to put forward a commonsense path to citizenship for people,” Christie told Tapper back then.

Christie said:
STEPHANOPOULOS: A path to citizenship relief on in-state college tuition?

CHRISTIE: It has to be figured out by those in charge of the national government. My job is to fix what’s going on in New Jersey. I will tell you this, George, we won’t be able to fix everything in New Jersey until the national leaders set a national immigration policy….

STEPHANOPOULOS: Including a path to citizenship?

CHRISTIE: George, I don’t get to make those determinations. It’s 2013, i just got elected the governor of New Jersey again. I have already said what I believe. It’s a broken system and it needs to be fixed. Let’s get to work doing it.

It's possible to acknowledge persistent inequality due to bad luck or historical injustice while denying that there is any present injustice (edit: except that perpetuated by the victims of past injustice) and that there is any responsibility on the part of historical winners to help. Because it is, sadly, impossible for them to help. Sadly. :(

I'm assuming your criticizing that view point?

But that does sounds like a lot like his arguments. The poorer kid just has to do really well at his horribly underfunded and understaffed school and he'll be able to break out of poverty. Never mind that colleges discriminate based on income so just working hard enough isn't going to cut it. He claimed scholarships were enough but I don't think he's aware that first of all, many are form of AA, and secondly they are not there for the fast majority of people. I think he really believes those people need to work harder than others, otherwise we're rewarding 'mediocrity'

He also doesn't really believe that a lot of racism exists today.

I really like what Johnson said
You do not take a person who, for years, has been hobbled by chains and liberate him, bring him up to the starting line of a race and then say, 'you are free to compete with all the others,' and still justly believe that you have been completely fair...This is the next and the more profound stage of the battle for civil rights. We seek not just freedom but opportunity. We seek not just legal equity but human ability, not just equality as a right and a theory but equality as a fact and equality as a result...To this end equal opportunity is essential, but not enough, not enough

I disagree with his statement implying AA is more than equal opportunity and more like equal outcomes, I feel its at its heart about equal opportunity, its doesn't buoy someone forever, just gives them a chance they otherwise wouldn't have. They can still sink like a rock.

yeah i'm gonna go ahead and say I'm against AA, at least in university setting. all this does is work against the Asian American minority.

I'm not in favor of quotas.

I'm in favor of looking at people holistically and recognizing that there are more factors than just numbers and paper qualifications. That's pretty much all AA is. There is no one-size-fits-all solution but I don't like people ignoring historical and present day discrimination and doing nothing to fight it.

Mild 4 Lyfe!

You Hot and Fire Heathens can GTFO.
lol

Piecake

I'm assuming your criticizing that view point?

But that does sounds like a lot like his arguments. The poorer kid just has to do really well at his horribly underfunded and understaffed school and he'll be able to break out of poverty. Never mind that colleges discriminate based on income so just working hard enough isn't going to cut it. He claimed scholarships were enough but I don't think he's aware that first of all, many are form of AA, and secondly they are not there for the fast majority of people. I think he really believes those people need to work harder than others, otherwise we're rewarding 'mediocrity'

He also doesn't really believe that a lot of racism exists today.

I really like what Johnson said

I disagree with his statement implying AA is more than equal opportunity and more like equal outcomes, I feel its at its heart about equal opportunity, its doesn't buoy someone forever, just gives them a chance they otherwise wouldn't have. They can still sink like a rock.

I'm not in favor of quotas.

I'm in favor of looking at people holistically and recognizing that there are more factors than just numbers and paper qualifications. That's pretty much all AA is. There is no one-size-fits-all solution but I don't like people ignoring historical and present day discrimination and doing nothing to fight it.

lol

Simply funding schools properly really doesnt work because poverty is no joke

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/30/protecting-children-from-toxic-stress/

You need to take a holistic approach basically by the time they are born. Provide pre-natal health care and work with the parent how to raise and teach their child so that they minimize that stress and then provide quality day care and pre-k so that these parents can actually work during the day.

If you ignore one over the other you are not going to be nearly as successful.

Personally, I am not a fan of trying to fix the achievement gap at college. I think that is incredibly stupid. I like Texas' 10% rule. That way the top 10% of any school can get into any state college, even some extremely low income districts. Obviously I am in favor of anti-discrimination laws, but trying to solve the issue at 18 is way too late. You gota start a lot younger because that's when the disparity develops.

Simply funding schools properly really doesnt work because poverty is no joke

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/30/protecting-children-from-toxic-stress/

You need to take a holistic approach basically by the time they are born. Provide pre-natal health care and work with the parent how to raise and teach their child so that they minimize that stress and then provide quality day care and pre-k so that these parents can actually work during the day.

If you ignore one over the other you are not going to be nearly as successful.

Personally, I am not a fan of trying to fix the achievement gap at college. I think that is incredibly stupid. I like Texas' 10% rule. That way the top 10% of any school can get into any state college, even some extremely low income districts. Obviously I am in favor of anti-discrimination laws, but trying to solve the issue at 18 is way too late. You gota start a lot younger because that's when the disparity develops.
I agree that college isn't the best place to fix it and it goes a lot deeper but I think using it in hiring and college isn't bad and better than nothing, especially when the political system has no desire to fix the other problems you describe.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Christie just said that the Obamacare website issues "vindicated" him for not setting up his own exchange in NJ even though doing such a thing proves the exact opposite. Seconds later he defended his decision to expand medicaid, saying it "makes sense" for his state.

CHRISTIE: It has to be figured out by those in charge of the national government. My job is to fix what’s going on in New Jersey. I will tell you this, George, we won’t be able to fix everything in New Jersey until the national leaders set a national immigration policy….

Because you're doing such a fucking amazing job already you fuck. But no, blame it on immigration you spineless jackoff.

Christie just said that the Obamacare website issues "vindicated" him for not setting up his own exchange in NJ even though doing such a thing proves the exact opposite. Seconds later he defended his decision to expand medicaid, saying it "makes sense" for his state.

I cannot wait until Christie crashes and burns. It's going to be amazing.

40 Armed Gun Advocates Intimidate Mothers Against Gun Violence In A Restaurant Parking Lot
On Saturday, nearly 40 armed men, women, and children waited outside a Dallas, Texas area restaurant to protest a membership meeting for the state chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, a gun safety advocacy group formed in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

According to a spokeswoman for Moms Demand Action (MDA), the moms were inside the Blue Mesa Grill when members of Open Carry Texas (OCT) — an open carry advocacy group — “pull[ed] up in the parking lot and start[ed] getting guns out of their trunks.” The group then waited in the parking lot for the four MDA members to come out. The spokeswoman said that the restaurant manager did not want to call 911, for fear of “inciting a riot” and waited for the gun advocates to leave. The group moved to a nearby Hooters after approximately two hours.

MDA later released a statement calling OCT “gun bullies” who “disagree[d] with our goal of changing America’s gun laws and policies to protect our children and families.” The statement added that the members and restaurant customers were “terrified by what appeared to be an armed ambush.” A member of OCT responded by tweeting, “I guess I’m a #gunbullies #Comeandtakeit.”

Yeah, the inevitable christie implosion is going to be glorious. In that sense, i hope the media keeps white knighting him in the mean time..

Lyude77

Is there any evidence that the protestors were pointing guns at anyone?

Carrying a gun is not the same as pointing it at a person.

You're right, it isn't as bad. Still, pulling out a gun in front of someone is pretty serious if you aren't hunting or at a shooting range. If police officers had been there (and didn't know what was really going on), I'm thinking there would have been a problem.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So Scott Walker has a book coming and shockingly enough leaves out some pretty big details that happened during his term, like this one:

Walker’s book does not, however, avoid the infamously embarrassing episode in which he took a phone call from a reporter pretending to be billionaire David Koch, who’s helped to funnel millions of dollars into the governor’s campaign coffers in exchange for enacting Koch’s legislative and policy wish list. During the conversation, Walker told the man pretending to be Koch that he’d considered — but ultimately ruled out — planting agitators among the demonstrators swarming the Capitol to protest the governor’s demolition of public unions.

In the book, Walker and Mark Thiessen, who’s credited as the book’s “co-author,” claim that the governor had never actually considered the plant but “did not want to insult Mr. Koch by saying that we would never do something so stupid.”

http://wisconsingazette.com/opinion...-bid-to-position-himself-as-presidential.html

Am...am I reading that bolded quote incorrectly? Cause that sounds pretty hilarious.

My stress is going through the roof arguing with the conservatives I end up hanging out with.

Just had a 45 minute discussion on Affirmative Action with a registered lobbyist. Ugh. Everytime I hear the word 'meritocracy' to argue against it I hear 'screw the minorities/women/poor people/veterans'

Racial discrimination is something I hate viscerally.
What makes me angry with affirmative action is that its too broad.

Why should all Asian get punished? There is a mile big difference in college participation rates between the Japanese and Chinese versus say the Cambodians and Hmong.

Same with Africans. There is a big difference and history between African-Americans and African immigrants.

http://www.neweconomics.org/blog/en...ctor-is-more-efficient-than-the-public-sector

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/14/how-efficient-is-private-charity/?_r=0

Doesnt really come to a conclusion (cant really in this instance), but raises good questions

So yea, I guess i wouldnt call those studies, just good articles that might bring up a study or two

Am I a hippie for wanted a nation with as banks and energy sectors nationalized like Norway, healthcare completely ran by the government like Iceland, private schools banned like Finland, and cooperatives popping out like Venezuela?

Dream nation.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Is there any evidence that the protestors were pointing guns at anyone?

Carrying a gun is not the same as pointing it at a person.

Hard to tell the difference when you're on the other end of those guns. And probably, especially, when you're outnumbered 10-1.

What makes me angry with affirmative action is that its too broad.

Why should all Asian get punished? There is a mile big difference in college participation rates between the Japanese and Chinese versus say the Cambodians and Hmong.

Same with Africans. There is a big difference and history between African-Americans and African immigrants.
Nobody is getting 'punished', nobody is entitled to that admission, job, position there are many other factors that disqualify people but we don't complain and erect barriers to those being used to hinder people.

It's just adding and additional factor to the selection process it's not the only thing. You don't just hire someone because they are a women or minority, they still have to qualify. I'm not arguing for quotas but affirmative action to better represent minority groups where they are unjustly underrepresented. It's not a robotic automatic system.

People too often argue against what they think AA is, not it's reality.

Zona

Ok, the Bechdel test thread in the OT has convinced me that I'm done with political threads that aren't this one (and it's decedents) on GAF. I've actively tried to avoid entering an echochamber but I can no longer take seeing the same arguments shot down over and over again. You'll have the same point refuted five or more times in the same thread! If it's not a drive by post by someone I've never seen before and will never see again it's the same faces over and over again. Gah!
Sorry for the rant from someone who mostly lurks but dose anyone else feel the same way or am I being thin skinned?

Nobody is getting 'punished', nobody is entitled to that admission, job, position there are many other factors that disqualify people but we don't complain and erect barriers to those being used to hinder people.

It's just adding and additional factor to the selection process it's not the only thing. You don't just hire someone because they are a women or minority, they still have to qualify. I'm not arguing for quotas but affirmative action to better represent minority groups where they are unjustly underrepresented. It's not a robotic automatic system.

Well what is AA in reality?

Ok, the Bechdel test thread in the OT has convinced me that I'm done with political threads that aren't this one (and it's decedents) on GAF. I've actively tried to avoid entering an echochamber but I can no longer take seeing the same arguments shot down over and over again. You'll have the same point refuted five or more times in the same thread! If it's not a drive by post by someone I've never seen before and will never see again it's the same faces over and over again. Gah!
Sorry for the rant from someone who mostly lurks but dose anyone else feel the same way or am I being thin skinned?
Which point are you referring to that keeps getting refuted in the Bechdel test thread?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So Scott Walker has a book coming and shockingly enough leaves out some pretty big details that happened during his term, like this one:

http://wisconsingazette.com/opinion...-bid-to-position-himself-as-presidential.html

Am...am I reading that bolded quote incorrectly? Cause that sounds pretty hilarious.
This American Life had a bit about Scott Walker's administration not too long ago.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/509/it-says-so-right-here

GOP keeping an enemies list.

Chichikov

You don't have to respond to everything, trust me, I know that feeling of "this post must not stand!", but at the end of the day, if you pick the dumbest post to respond to, you'll always end up conversing with idiots.

It's also good to mix it up with different people, that being said, the retirement thread was really testing my resolve...

Well what is AA in reality?
Where the term comes from is an EO that stated the government and its agencies
take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin
In the simplest terms its any action that seeks to better represent underrepresented groups. Its the awareness of injustice and equality and attempts to rectify it there are a lot of ways to do this.
Here is a ACLU positon paper on it.
https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/FilesPDFs/affirmative_action99.pdf

ACLU said:
Affirmative action merely enables people who might otherwise be shut out, to get their foot in the door. Affirmative action permits factors such as race, gender and national origin to be considered when hiring or admitting qualified applicants, keeping the doors of opportunity open.

If you support AA for job applications, you are really just pushing worse candidates into the job a lot of the time. Having affirmative action discriminate based on race doesn't even make sense either, it should be based on income levels to be focused mostly on education as that is what really holds a lot of minorities back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom