• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
The new map:

YJFRgXc.png

Fuck you, Chris Christie.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
LOL. Charlie Cook actually consulted a real life psychiatrist to diagnose Republicans:

I consulted a psychiatrist and a psychologist on this question. Both said there is no formal term for the behavior some Republicans are exhibiting, but one described the groupthink as “hysterical delusional affirmation,” and the other named it “delusional synergy.” One said, “It entails suspension of logical intellectual processes with a selective consideration of only confirmatory input. Paranoid people typically experience ideas of influence and control where they believe that they see things that others cannot. This process is often propelled by delusions of grandeur, quite often messianic in nature.”

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/18/1248605/-Jim-DeMint-call-your-shrink

And the other, what, eight colors mean what?

From the Wiki article that map's posted on:

[darkest blue] Same-sex marriage
[middle blue] Unions granting privileges similar to marriage at the state level
[lightest blue] Legislation granting limited/enumerated privileges
[dark grey] Same-sex marriages performed elsewhere recognized
[light grey] No specific prohibition or recognition of same-sex marriages or unions in state law
[lightest red] State statute bans same-sex marriage
[middle red] State constitution bans same-sex marriage
[darkest red] State constitution bans same-sex marriage and some or all other kinds of same-sex unions

So in Illinois, for example, there's a state statute banning same-sex marriage but also unions granting state-level benefits similar to marriage (whereas Colorado and Nevada have the latter, but the ban's in their state constitutions).

GhaleonEB

Why doesn't Oregon have same-sex marriage yet? Is it getting blocked in the legislative or something?

A ban on it passed a few years ago via ballot measure. A measure to reverse it will be on the 2014 ballot. It's been a few months since I checked in with where things are, but backers are feeling optimistic.

ivysaur12

Banned
A ban on it passed a few years ago via ballot measure. A measure to reverse it will be on the 2014 ballot. It's been a few months since I checked in with where things are, but backers are feeling optimistic.

It'll pass comfortably. I don't even think conservative groups will be investing heavily in that one. Their big 2014 mission will be a constitutional amendment in Indiana (that hasn't passed the legislature yet) in order to shore up their losses and put a W on the board.

It still questionable if it will pass, but it's the best chance to get some free press out of the thing. It could be a situation like Minnesota that could blow up in their faces in 2016.

This map is just going to echo the presidential electoral college map soon won't it?

I don't know if it'll ever get that far. It's extremely difficult to amend the constitution in some of the states that have the more horrific laws. I can't see more than 20-25 states having legalized gay marriage by the time the Big Case comes to the SCOTUS and its decided for gay marriage nationwide.

gcubed

It'll pass comfortably. I don't even think conservative groups will be investing heavily in that one. Their big 2014 mission will be a constitutional amendment in Indiana (that hasn't passed the legislature yet) in order to shore up their losses and put a W on the board.

It still questionable if it will pass, but it's the best chance to get some free press out of the thing. It could be a situation like Minnesota that could blow up in their faces in 2016.

I don't know if it'll ever get that far. It's extremely difficult to amend the constitution in some of the states that have the more horrific laws. I can't see more than 20-25 states having legalized gay marriage by the time the Big Case comes to the SCOTUS and its decided for gay marriage nationwide.

states are going to fall one by one internally. PA is going to fall in 2014

states are going to fall one by one internally. PA is going to fall in 2014

I think Ohio could fall in 2014 as well, but they're probably going to hold the ballot initiative until 2016 just to be safe. Which is frustrating, but understandable, I guess. Our gubernatorial race next year is going to be pretty nuts.

But in any case, Portman's reversal on SSM was huge. If you can get both him and Sherrod Brown to come together to publicly support the initiative (and Brown obviously would do it), it's a done deal.

ivysaur12

Banned
its going to be a court decision in a lot of states, regardless of the legislature.

Well, they can't. That's why there are so many constitutional amendments to state constitutions.

A lot are now going the federal route, which is an option, but Blue states that have these old vestiges like Oregon, Ohio, Virginia, or Nevada will most likely try to put an amendment back to a more progressive electorate.

CRUZ-articleLarge-v2.jpg

“I was proud of him,” Mr. Labay said of the state’s junior senator. “I was proud he was a Texan. I wish they would have held firm, and we’d still be shut down.”

One county commissioner in Collin County in North Texas, Matt Shaheen, a Tea Party supporter of Mr. Cruz’s who welcomed Mr. Cruz’s father, Rafael Cruz, to Plano at a Republican event on Tuesday, was asked what moderate Republicans were saying about Mr. Cruz. “I don’t know,” he replied. “I don’t hang out with the moderates.”

"Texas likes a fighter,” Mr. Patrick said. “He’s only been there 10 months, but he’s proven to be a fighter. If our party doesn’t lead as a bold conservative party, then we will disappear as a party.”

Drakeon

CRUZ-articleLarge-v2.jpg

“Texas likes a fighter,” Mr. Patrick said. “He’s only been there 10 months, but he’s proven to be a fighter. If our party doesn’t lead as a bold conservative party, then we will disappear as a party.”

Also ted cruz's anthem? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QECUFmEPbU0

Wait wait wait. He's a farmer right? Who gets farm subsidies... from the government. I mean, I know cognitive dissonance is the norm, I'm just confirming my suspicions here.

Wait wait wait. He's a farmer right? Who gets farm subsidies... from the government. I mean, I know cognitive dissonance is the norm, I'm just confirming my suspicions here.

Republicans don't dislike government. They dislike the government that doesn't help them.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Part of it is just flat out selfishness. They like their money from the government, they just don't want anyone else getting some, and their brain justifies it with that AM radio/Fox News-approved cognitive dissonance. Same thing with the government-hating Medicare-using Republicans.

Hate to go all Facebook on you folks but I felt this was interesting. Been debating the deficit, spending, etc., with a particular libertarian on FB for quite some time. Back and forth, says we need to cut cut cut whether it's food stamps, medicare, social security, etc. He posted an article showing that we've eclipsed 17trillion in debt so after a bit of conversation I said

Why is 17 trillion problematic? Would 10 trillion be problematic? What about 5 trillion? Is 17 trillion bad but 30 trillion is armageddon? Explain it to me. Why are people, companies, government still buying our bonds at 17 trillion when it's too much deficit supposedly and why will they stop at say 25 trillion? Is there a number that we should say NO MORE DEBT? What is that number?

His response?

There's no specific number, but to believe that this could keep going on forever is incredibly naive.

Probably the most succinct and pointless response he's ever provided during our discussions. Made me realize that for the most part conservatives don't really have a number where we should be concerned. That it isn't about 17 trillion, it's just us being in debt and helping people who need it. They can't really answer why our debt is such a concern other than being ideologically opposed to spending more than one takes in at a basic level.

This map is just going to echo the presidential electoral college map soon won't it?
When gay marriage is legalized in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Illinois, Hawaii, and Oregon, that'll make up an electoral college majority. Everything in Obama's 2012 map short of Ohio, Florida and Virginia.

Arizona will be the first Romney state to legalize it imo

Drakeon

And...Fox News is back to bringing up Benghazi.

That sure didn't take long.

It has to be because of Hillary right? They're going to keep bringing it up until either A) Hillary doesn't run or B) she runs and wins and Benghazi, once again, does not amount to the shitstorm they make it out to be.

Any moderately intelligent farmer should be really fucking pissed at Tea Party fucktards like Cruz and his ilk for holding up the farm bill.

As someone who grew up on a farm and has numerous family and friends involved in agriculture, I can tell you that many ag folks have already had it with the Tea Party over the farm bill. That said, there are still plenty of holdouts who continue to support their bullshit. It's maddening.

Joe Molotov

If you get government aid, it's because you deserved it. If "those people" get government aid, it's because they're filthy moochers and it's worse than slavery and Hitler combined.

When gay marriage is legalized in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Illinois, Hawaii, and Oregon, that'll make up an electoral college majority. Everything in Obama's 2012 map short of Ohio, Florida and Virginia.

Arizona will be the first Romney state to legalize it imo

God I want to be a fly on the wall during State Congressional hearings ten years from now in SC and MS when Gay marriage is the law of the land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom