• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperionX

Somewhat. But the Dems have largely avoided the issue for a long time. They only really picked it up again after Sandy hook & colorado shooting. And they've let it go since those failures. If people don't want it then there is not much you can do. We have decided as a country that it is acceptable to have so many people die from gun deaths in order to allow citizens to have guns.

I'm sure we'll revisit this at the next huge gun tragedy or when gun deaths exceed automobile deaths.

And it would haven't happened a lot sooner had medical care not improved. The death rate from gun shot injuries is dropping primary because more people are surviving, not because fewer people are being shot.

bonercop

It passed.

Once again proving democrats are worthless. Not much point in voting for them if they'll voluntarily vote to gut their own bills, lol.

bonercop

I think they realized that if the CR was pushed to tie in with the debt crisis the GOP would easily let the US default.

So basically, they've proven they will completely surrender and vote on poison pill legislation next year and the year after that. What ever happened with not setting a terrible precedent by giving in to blackmail?

The only thing I'm worried for is future concessions. The contents aren't bad. The swaps don't radically change the bill, I guess it's more principle.

I'm more depressed and frustrated with the spending caps to parties lifted.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the CR is about to barely pass in the House.

Gross. So very gross. This budget feels about as conservative as the types of budgets we were seeing passed around 2002-2006, when republicans held the house, senate, and presidency.

At least Ebola stuff is getting funded, and the CTFC is getting some upgrades to its computer system...

That's literally the only positive i can find from this bill. SEC budget increase was at least slightly promising up until i noticed earmarked for the Economic and Risk Analysis division, basically the anti-regulatory division within the SEC.

Necrovex

What's the chance that the senate will shoot down this spending bill? Repealing (weakening?) Dodd-Frank is the worst idea imaginable.

Gross. So very gross. This budget feels about as conservative as the types of budgets we were seeing passed around 2002-2006, when republicans held the house, senate, and presidency.

At least Ebola stuff is getting funded, and the CTFC is getting some upgrades to its computer system...

That's literally the only positive i can find from this bill. SEC budget increase was at least slightly promising up until i noticed earmarked for the Economic and Risk Analysis division, basically the anti-regulatory division within the SEC.
It mostly keeps things the same...
What's the chance that the senate will shoot down this spending bill? Repealing (weakening?) Dodd-Frank is the worst idea imaginable.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It mostly keeps things the same...

Come on. You know how hard we had to fight for Dodd-Frank, and you know how hard we're trying to fight for campaign finance with little advancement.

Both of those take giant steps back here, and yet you're fine with just giving it up, like it was no big deal? Really?

Weakening Dodd-Frank was unacceptable.
This doesn't undermine the bill at all.

(I'm worried about future asks from wall street but I think this might actually help since theyll only be one (maybe 2) more CR before 2016. A short term till the next term could have backfired on dems because there would be less need to dems

Come on. You know how hard we had to fight for Dodd-Frank, and you know how hard we're trying to fight for campaign finance with little advancement.

Both of those take giant steps back here, and yet you're fine with just giving it up, like it was no big deal? Really?
We don't have congress anymore, campaign finance I'm much more frustrated about and its much more odious than some small ultimately meaningless change (it affects a few banks, and is mostly an accounting trick to pretend we won't bail them out).

I'm happy were not having debates about health care or student loans or food stamps. What is the effect on my life?

epa budget reduced to 1989 levels, pension cuts for 10 million people, and diverting funds from poor students to student debt collectors is not "keeping things the same"
Its pretty minor stuff for the entire government.

Were you really shocked that stuff was in there? Did you think delaying this to next year would make it easier to cut those things out?

Those things have been gone since 2010 when we lost the house

maybe I am acting like Cruz, because I absolutely don't want to act like these poison pills you keep downplaying the significance of are anything but objectively bad long-term

maybe I am acting like Cruz, because I absolutely don't want to act like these poison pills you keep downplaying the significance of are anything but objectively bad long-term
I don't think they're not bad but they're less bad than the alternative.

We don't have Congress we don't control that branch we don't get to dictate things.

We need to win back seats before we can start reversing that and stopping these things. Otherwise its empty posturing The cart before the house and all that jazz.

bonercop

Its pretty minor stuff for the entire government.

Were you really shocked that stuff was in there? Did you think delaying this to next year would make it easier to cut those things out?

Those things have been gone since 2010 when we lost the house

i highly doubt that if the dems controlled the house an the republicans controlled the senate things would be any different. if your party can only advance its agenda when it controls every branch of government, it is worthless. if it requires a decade's worth of control over all chambers to protect that agenda, it is worthless.

Minor cuts.

You guys are acting like Cruz, thinking that you can oppose things and magically the stuff you hate disappears

ted cruz is doing pretty good for himself.

Minor cuts.

You guys are acting like Cruz, thinking that you can oppose things and magically the stuff you hate disappears

The entire strategy for the last 6 years for the GOP was to obstruct. They shut down the government. Threatened default. Symbolically voted to drop obomacare a million times and in general acted like assholes.

Now that they got congress it's just a big, "ehh what are we gonna do guys?" from the dems?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
We don't have congress anymore, campaign finance I'm much more frustrated about and its much more odious than some small ultimately meaningless change (it affects a few banks, and is mostly an accounting trick to pretend we won't bail them out).

I'm happy were not having debates about health care or student loans or food stamps. What is the effect on my life?

Derivative trading is what caused the 2008 crash and the mega transfer in wealth from the poor to the rich that resulted from it. Dodd-Frank is the only thing we've done to protect ourselves from that and limits on derivative trading is basically the cornerstone of that legislation.

If it were the 90s and Glass–Steagall was being repealed. Would you have said "meh, it doesn't really effect anything", because I guess you might have been right for about 10 years until it became clear it was one of the most harmful pieces of legislation ever passed as far as real effects on the american people. Financial regulations do matter, a lot.

There's also the $93 million cut from the Women, Infants and Children Nutrition Program, which I think has pretty obvious real life consequences.

And I still can't believe you don't get that congress got lost because it was the lowest turn out since WW2, not because people want republican policy. You think a turnout that low is a voter mandate to give republicans every thing they want, as long as you can come out the other side saying "it could have been worse". If anything it's a mandate to do a better job at getting people to care, but that's not going to happen if you just give republicans every thing they want and prove the "both sides are the same" crowd right.

don't worry about the next 2 years guys

i bet the lily ledbetter act is safe

probably my brother's keeper too

Both of those things are safe.

And I still can't believe you don't get that congress got lost because it was the lowest turn out since WW2, not because people want republican policy. You think a turnout that low is a voter mandate to give republicans every thing they want, as long as you can come out the other side saying "it could have been worse". If anything it's a mandate to do a better job at getting people to care, but that's not going to happen if you just give republicans every thing they want and prove the "both sides are the same" crowd right.

Where do I think this?

bonercop

i was trying to make a funny about how only the minor symbolic gesture-type stuff is going to survive the next 2 years you guys:(

bonercop

Both parties are the same

This clearly is how it would have played out if Democrats had held the Senate

Last year's~bi-partisan~ budget was also 1.01 trillion dollars, had pension cuts and a pay cut for government workers. And that was with republicans being in a really bad place, politically, due to the government shutdown.

So....probably pretty close?

benjipwns

Banned
This budget has an 8.9% increase in spending per capita?

You know how hard we had to fight for Dodd-Frank
And the big banks and financial institutions it protects thank you for it.

Derivative trading is what caused the 2008 crash and the mega transfer in wealth from the poor to the rich that resulted from it.
No, it isn't, the crash happened for the same reason they all do. The bubble was largest in what we can call one form of derivatives sure, but that always is true, and it was hardly the only market full of malinvestment, it was just the easiest one to hide fake assets in.

As an aside, income inequality decreased significantly after the crash because...the rich had all the money to lose. It had been rising over the nearly two decades prior of prosperity.

If it were the 90s and Glass–Steagall was being repealed. Would you have said "meh, it doesn't really effect anything", because I guess you might have been right for about 10 years until it became clear it was one of the most harmful pieces of legislation ever passed as far as real effects on the american people
What was repealed from Glass-Steagall that led to the financial crisis? What bad practices would have been prevented had it remained in place? Be specific.

Or don't, because the answer is nothing. None of the companies at the center of the mess (Lehman, Merrill Lynch, Bear Sterns, AIG, etc.) changed their composition after the "repeal" and even some financial experts argue had they it would have saved their shorts because they would have had good money as well as bad. Criminal mortgage underwriting and securitizing was allowed under Glass-Steagall. Glass-Steagal's bank restrictions were never repealed.

Derivatives, mortgage backed sercurities, CDS, etc. All legal and allowed under Glass-Steagall. Investment banks becoming public? Allowed.

AIG's shit derivatives were no risk to AIG's underlying business or anyone else except those who were heavily invested in their faulty profiles...namely Goldman Sachs, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Oh, and Jeff Immelt, who went crying about how it was the end of the world because GE's holdings taking a hit was going to prevent him from getting his bonus that year.

Jeff Immelt's butthurt? Allowed under Glass-Steagall.

Wilsongt

So one last shit move by the 113th congress to start off the shitfest known as the 114th congress.

Good fucking job, America you apathetic, nonmidterm voting bastards.

I sorta wish California was it's own country. A democratic super majority and a democratic governor. Sigh.
I feel the same way about Minnesota. Either that or I wish Canada would annex us already.

So one last shit move by the 113th congress to start off the shitfest known as the 114th congress.

Good fucking job, America you apathetic, nonmidterm voting bastards.
Well, this is what happens when people in North Carolina, Alaska, and Colorado don't vote.

And also when Tom Harkin retires and does nothing to support his successor

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Goddamned democrats. I know we lost the House (and now the senate), but why has every fucking spending bill since 2011 always in favor of the Republicans? A $1 trillion spending bill should have quite a few things that Republicans want. Why don't the Dems ever hold anything in there hostage? Oil subsidies? Farm subsidies? Border security funding? Defense contractor funding? Yes, I know Republicans will say "bubububu the dems are hating the troops again! So fucking what at this point? People will believe that shit anyway. How about some sweet tax breaks for wall street? Hell, even if that doesn't make Democrat constituents lives better, at least the pain will be spread around.

Seriously, these fucking people.

Diablos

CROMNIBUS

Hey Aaron Strife and co., I just want you to be aware that the dream is dead for like at least 10 more years. Hold on to your butts. After what will no doubt be a miserable final two years for Obama, 2016 will be up for grabs.

I just think about the House and all the state legislatures across the nation and it honestly scares me. This is unprecedented.

Democrats are back to pre-2006 levels of sucking ass, too, which does not help anyone or anything.

HylianTom

Banned
CROMNIBUS

Hey Aaron Strife and co., I just want you to be aware that the dream is dead for like at least 10 more years. Hold on to your butts. After what will no doubt be a miserable final two years for Obama, 2016 will be up for grabs.

I just think about the House and all the state legislatures across the nation and it honestly scares me. This is unprecedented.

Democrats are back to pre-2006 levels of sucking ass, too, which does not help anyone or anything.
This is pretty much why I'm not too surprised. Realistically, nothing good will come from Congress until at least 2022. It's status quo until then.

I'd love to see campaign finance reform taken up once again as soon as we have a fifth SCOTUS justice who can vote to reverse Citizens United. Until then, big money will always get its way. Sucks.

It'd be nice if Sanders could somehow pull something off in the Senate to impede and generally moreso make loudly public what a shitshow this bill is---but unless he can somehow rope along a fair number to join hm...ugh.

I've been wondering, why are the Democrats so terrified of the Republicans? I don't buy this "both parties are the same" nonsense, so why is the Left so afraid of going after the Right on... anything?

thefro

This isn't that bad considering it's going to put the next budget fight at September when the 2016 Presidential primary will be fully underway. Also taking on the immigration thing as a separate fight from the budget overall is pretty good politically.

That's the main skirmish that President Obama needs to win.

No, it isn't, the crash happened for the same reason they all do. The bubble was largest in what we can call one form of derivatives sure, but that always is true, and it was hardly the only market full of malinvestment, it was just the easiest one to hide fake assets in.

The crash did happen because of all the derivative exposure by banks blowing up, and the underlying "shadow banking" liquidity drying up over night. The same way the advent of mortgage-backed securities led to the 1987 crisis, the same way they caused the 2008 crisis, because investors foolishly believed that credit-default swaps would bail them out if their derivative securities ever defaulted. It just so happens that there is someone at the other end of that CDS that has to be able to make the pay-outs.

What was repealed from Glass-Steagall that led to the financial crisis? What bad practices would have been prevented had it remained in place? Be specific.

The ability for bank holding companies to mix commercial and investment banking activities ABSOLUTELY led to more commercial deposits being available to underwrite all these shitty securities, or to provide financing for companies underwriting these securities. This had been contained since the first depression for a reason... to curve the creation of speculative credit by investment banks, backed up by our good deposit money. After 1999, those restrictions were taken away. Phil Gramm, Larry Summers, etc. are big money lackeys directly responsible for the Wallstreet bonanza since the 2000's.

AIG's shit derivatives were no risk to AIG's underlying business or anyone else except those who were heavily invested in their faulty profiles...namely Goldman Sachs, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

It is sickening how the AIG holding company was able to take on all the exposure based on money in the subsidiaries that they couldn't even touch due to insurance state regulations. This would be called fraud if one of us poor folk did it, but the government called it "systemic risk" because Goldman, et al. were set to lose a few billions. Like since the creation of the Federal Reserve, the owner banks are not allowed to have loses on the backs of us tax payers.

The worst part of the bill that passed last night, is that banks can now have derivatives under FDIC insured subsidiaries. AKA, there is a nice $300+ TRILLION of exposure out there that we as tax payers can be on the hook for if it all blows up (it will in the next two years because of QE malinvestment).

Crisco

Banned
It's like Peter King said, the lesson learned from the last shutdown is that there is no consequences for them. If anything, their entire strategy of deadlocking congress worked to depress voter attitudes and deliver them yet another sweeping midterm victory. Also, this time around the "blame" for the shutdown would be less clear. This is a pretty terrible budget, but its what you get when you elect terrible government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom