• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Just got my first Facebook deletion after schooling someone on net neutrality. Man, it kinda feels... good.

It all started with "net neutrality shows how corrupt our government is."

Surprise! He had no idea what net neutrality was. Just figured Obama wants it, it's bad.

Cloudy

Banned
I turned on Fox News at 9 while driving into work. They led the top of the hour off with Jordan. I guess the jobs numbers were good lol

The amusing thing about Vox is that it actually seems to be turning Ezra Klein into a better writer while the rest of it and the writers are plummeting downhill towards a fancier looking Buzzfeed at simply a remarkable speed.

I've been shocked how many writers aren't even doing basic Google searches or looking at Wikipedia about subjects anymore.

My favorite is still the 40 Maps that explain the Roman Empire or whatever where one of the "maps" was just a picture of a boat.
Their condescension seems to be growing too.

Over a million new jobs added just over the past three months alone. Incredible.

I want this rate to continue so Obama can beat Reagan's jobs record, although that's a bit fanciful.

Yeah, somehow those of us on the political right can't seem to stick around. I know some people feel like that's because of some anti-conservative bias, but I don't think I'd still be here if it were that simple.

I hate to say it, but I think ultimately it's because such folks end up saying something stupid or being overly hostile.

EDIT: Or terrified of posting. It's not easy to be (or feel like) the lone dissenting voice.

Sometimes I feel like you're really just a liberal who is trying to hone his argumentation skills. Managing to consistently argue against the grain here while avoiding any of the standard crap that gets the dissenting opinion banned.

I called Manos out on this one time and he admitted to me in PM I was correct. I kept his secret too prior to his banning. You can PM me and feel confident I won't out you!

I would like to be cynical about today's jobs numbers but I can't, they're surprisingly great.

We still have issues with wage growth though.

Sometimes I feel like you're really just a liberal who is trying to hone his argumentation skills. Managing to consistently argue against the grain here while avoiding any of the standard crap that gets the dissenting opinion banned.

I called Manos out on this one time and he admitted to me in PM I was correct. I kept his secret too prior to his banning. You can PM me and feel confident I won't out you!

I've played devils advocate multiple times.

I would like to be cynical about today's jobs numbers but I can't, they're surprisingly great.

We still have issues with wage growth though.

A tightening labor market will do a lot of that on its own.

'dat Republican Congress doing good work!!

I lost it when McConnell credited all the good economic news on the anticipation of the GOP taking over the Senate. Even if you want to believe that nutty 'anticipation' theory . . . it doesn't hold water because Obama is still there to veto any changes they want to make.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/06/u...enate-to-republicans-dismay.html?ref=politics

Also it turns out the Republicans have no idea what to do in the majority and Boehner's and McConnell's jobs are turning into hell.

Part of the problem that some Senate Republicans find so frustrating is that their colleagues in the House do not always seem to appreciate that a majority in the Senate does not mean that the party controls every outcome.

In fact, many Senate Republicans are learning that lesson.

lol

HylianTom

Banned
Over a million new jobs added just over the past three months alone. Incredible.

I want this rate to continue so Obama can beat Reagan's jobs record, although that's a bit fanciful.

6a00d8341c3e3953ef01348753dbab970c-800wi

Every month that this pattern holds.. I know we're still a long ways off, but this is some nice hopium.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

I only reluctantly accept the label "conservative," and even more reluctantly "Republican," but I assure you, I'm no liberal (as that term is customarily used in the United States).

Also, typos are a BFD, y'all:

Name: Taylor & Sons Ltd.

Appearance: Irreparably damaged.

By what? By Companies House.

What’s Companies House? It’s a government agency that acts as the registrar for all companies in the UK.

And what did this agency do that was so terrible? In 2009, they recorded information stating that Taylor & Sons Ltd – a 124-year-old Welsh engineering firm employing more than 250 people – had been wound up.

Tough times for business. What happened next? Taylor & Sons’ business evaporated: orders were cancelled, contracts were lost and credit from suppliers was withdrawn. The company subsequently went into administration, and was finally dissolved in 2014.

So Companies House wasn’t wrong; just a bit premature. The problem was Companies House hadn’t meant to report that Taylor & Sons Ltd had gone into liquidation. They had meant to say Taylor & Son Ltd.

But it was just a silly mistake! Companies House corrected their error three days later, but by then the damage was done: the information had cascaded uncontrollably across the internet.

Taylor & Sons should sue! They did, and they won. A judge ruled that Companies House was legally responsible for the firm’s unhappy fate. Damages have yet to be awarded, but lawyers acting for Davison-Sebry have valued the company’s claim at £8.8m.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/06/u...enate-to-republicans-dismay.html?ref=politics

Also it turns out the Republicans have no idea what to do in the majority and Boehner's and McConnell's jobs are turning into hell.

The problems were old and new: political divisions within the party, difficulties over managing the expectations of conservative lawmakers, and the simple arithmetic of getting to the filibuster-proof threshold of 60 votes when there are only 54 Republican senators. The tactics that had served them well when they were in the minority were now being effectively exploited against them.

Everyone assumed this is why the dems didn't blow up the filibuster rule when Reid had the chance. I still feel like this was a wasted opportunity though. We still have Veto Power and could have got a ton more done during the last 6 years had real reform been accomplished.

I will admit the whole "turn about is fair play" thing kinda makes me giggle inside though.

6a00d8341c3e3953ef01348753dbab970c-800wi

Every month that this pattern holds.. I know we're still a long ways off, but this is some nice hopium.
Watch there be a mild recession in the last couple months of Obama's presidency after 6ish years of uninterrupted growth that makes the presidential election a tossup like Bush v Gore

HylianTom

Banned
Watch there be a mild recession in the last couple months of Obama's presidency after 6ish years of uninterrupted growth that makes the presidential election a tossup like Bush v Gore
That's what's lurking in the back of my head. Every month as we draw closer, when these numbers come out, the violins trilling in the back of my head are going to get louder and louder..

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jerbs 257K

November revised up to 423K
December revised up to 329K

Wages moving up again too.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-increase-more-than-forecast-along-with-wages

Holy fucking shit @ those revised numbers. :O

Someone can double check my numbers, but it appears November would have more jobs created than any month of the Bush presidency.

Looks like the newly elected Republican congress is so amazing they retroactively improved economic numbers that the Democrats bungled up!

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
The Brazilian Town Where the American Confederacy Lives On:

One day last spring, near an old rural cemetery in southern Brazil, a black man named Marcelo Gomes held up the corners of a Confederate flag to pose for a cell-phone photo. After the picture was taken, Gomes said he saw no problem with a black man paying homage to the history of the Confederate States of America. "American culture is a beautiful culture," he said. Some of his friends had Confederate blood.

Gomes had joined some 2,000 Brazilians at the annual festa of the Fraternidade Descendência Americana, the brotherhood of Confederate descendants in Brazil, on a plot near the town of Americana, which was settled by Southern defectors 150 years ago. The graveyard is usually empty save for its caretaker or the odd worshipper drawn to its little brick chapel. On the April morning of the festa, a public-address system blaring the Confederate battle song "Stonewall Jackson's Way" had interrupted the cemetery's silence. Brazilians in ten-gallon hats and leather jackets called out greetings.

For miles around the graveyard, unfiltered sun beat down on sugarcane fields planted by the thousands of Confederates who had rejected Reconstruction and fled the United States in the wake of the Civil War—a voluntary exile that American history has more or less erased. Their scattered diaspora has gathered annually for the past 25 years. The party they throw, which receives funding from the local government, is the family reunion of the Confederados, one of the last remaining enclaves of the children of the unreconstructed South.

Whelp, that's pretty surreal.

That aint nowhere close to the weirdest thing that happens down here in the proper South.

They doing it mostly like folklore, tho.

At the entrance to the festa, two muscled bodyguards patted the attendees down, checking their arms and necks against four Xeroxed sheets of paper that outlined in Portuguese 42 white-supremacist symbols—the SS, the Iron Cross, the swastika, KKK. They'd been instructed to eject anyone with these markings from the party. It had been a problem in years prior.

Oh, they've been improving a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom