• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
With less than three weeks to go before election day, Democrat Mary Burke and Republican Gov. Scott Walker are tied among likely voters, according to the latest Marquette University Law School poll.

The race for attorney general was also tied.

In the governor's race, Burke eliminated Walker's 5-point lead among likely voters in the Marquette poll two weeks ago.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statep...-on-campaign-trail-b99371330z1-279278392.html

NBC/WSJ poll: 55% want candidate who will give Ocare chance to work w/changes, 43% want repeal/start over.

Here's why the DSCC ditched Kentucky for Georgia: new Survey USA poll has Nunn up 3 over Perdue (48-45)

Quinnipiac said:
"independents back Braley 48-43, a shift from Ernst's 50-43 lead last month"

"Braley leads 51-37 among those who have already voted"

Getting high over all this hopium, y'all.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-polls-might-be-skewed-against-democrats-or-republicans/

Nate subtweeting this thread

Just don’t assume your favorite candidate will catch all the breaks. Sometimes the polls are biased — in the opposite direction of what you were hoping for.

suffolk has 47-43 ernst lead

Should mention that QPac poll of Iowa still has Ernst leading 2. However if he's winning among independents then he'll probably win overall with the Dems' ground game.

Also a Suffolk poll released today has Ernst up by 4. But she's also winning independents, which Qpac has Braley leading with.

I lied to the pollster...told them I'd vote for Walker

Also, didn't feel like arguing with me dad about the fact that Walker is an assjackel.

:3
So Burke is actually leading!

Some useful analysis. I don't think it's wise though to suggest that pollsters could be reverting to patterns seen in like, 2002 or 2004. The Democrats' coalition and electoral strategy has completely changed since then. Kerry, Gore, Clinton etc. were focused on winning independents and white Southerners, now it's about winning minorities and women who aren't as likely to show up in likely voter pools. The fact that you have pollsters applying additional LV screens to people who voted in 2010 and 2012 suggests a major Republican skew.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Lack of government spending fucks us over again, the WHO had their budget cut dramatically and were unable to stop the virus in West Africa, and now the Texas state governments fund their public hospitals so poorly they can't deal with quarantine cases.

Ebola may kill all of us but hey at least Texas didn't have an income tax for a while.

But... WHO income is higher than ever:

8aCH0jl.png

Surely you don't think WHO's effectiveness is more closely related to its budget than to its actual income, do you? Talk about wishful thinking.

And once again, Nate doesn't understand what his own work means.

Even if the Dems win, it doesn't necessarily mean there's systematic error in the polling. It's Brazil vs Germany all over again.

what do you mean where? the entire thing is about people disecting polls to try to suss out bias

Which is fine, because 1 out of every 20 polls is supposed to be an outlier.

Ann Romney says Russia wouldn’t have invaded Ukraine had her husband Mitt been elected president. In a clear shot at the Obama administration, Romney told Yahoo News and Finance Anchor Bianna Golodryga, “I do not believe there would've been an invasion, of course, in Ukraine. I believe Putin would've known there would've been consequences to that.” The former GOP candidate’s wife says there are no plans right now for her husband to run again despite encouraging poll numbers that show him as a leading candidate.
“One poll's not gonna sway us,” she said. “I think a lot of Americans know that Mitt was right, and have trust in his abilities. And you know, it's a tough time. I think America's in a tough place.”
http://news.yahoo.com/bianna-golodryga-interview-with-ann-romney-134951209.html

Sure, Ann, Sure. You keep telling yourself that and it makes the loss hurt less.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
But doesn't that graph show that incomes flatlined since 2012?

No, only the budget line goes beyond 2012-2013. It was around then that they seem to have realized that budgets should be based on past revenues rather than imagination.

Tim-E

People in my office seem to think that everyone who has been on the same airplanes as people who have had Ebola are now infected with the disease. Here are some choice quotes from their freakout:
"I heard it came from the rain forests. They look clean on TV, but you know its nasty over there"

"THE NEWS SAYS EBOLA IS MUTATING!" "Does this mean that it transforms people into other things?"

"They better know Jesus"

The people who have traveled from areas that have Ebola cases "Don't care about other people."

These are college educated adults.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If only CNN would be canceled now. The only thing that's worth a shit is Zakaria, and he can find a home elsewhere. In primetime they're pretty much turning into a reality/documentary channel.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a news channel showing documentaries. There's only so much hard news in a day and it's way better than showing a million bad opinion shows.

We all know John McCain would have been the defense secretary under Romney so we would have obliterated half of the human civilization by now.

Tim-E

I don't think there's anything wrong with a news channel showing documentaries. There's only so much hard news in a day and it's way better than showing a million bad opinion shows.

Good point. Its at least better than the slew of opinion shows they've had in the past.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good point. Its at least better than the slew of opinion shows they've had in the past.

Well, I figure there aren't many programming options for cable news other than hard news, talking heads, opinion crap and documentaries. Not like they can show much else.

Ecotic

Pic from the Nunn early vote rally (not me pictured). What a great talent, she worked the crowd well and everyone loved her, and even had really good answers to questions from an obvious ultra-green "I wear biodegradable shoes" troublemaker as the cameras moved in to capture the exchange. I really hope the DSCC is rushing money in as Colorado, Iowa, and especially Kentucky now appear less probable than Georgia.

15545145325_7a289f4861.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

asWudRl.png

The arguments for polls being biased toward republicans include strong fundamental reasoning behind why young people and democrat hispanics are being underrepresented, a belief in a GotV campaign that has been pretty good in recent times, and knowledge that 2 out of the last 4 elections had a strong enough bias that it would change the entire equation if applied here.

The argument against polls being biased toward republicans include the fact that 12 years ago, polls were biased away from republicans, and that some guy in 2012 went so overly crazy in order to go against the grain, that no one should ever go against the grain again.

Obviously it's not a sure thing you want to make bets off of, but it is definitely a reasonable thing to find hope in. While splitting it down the middle like you and Nate are doing, make you seem pretty illogical yourself.

Pic from the Nunn early vote rally (not me pictured). What a great talent, she worked the crowd well and everyone loved her, and even had really good answers to questions from an obvious ultra-green "I wear biodegradable shoes" troublemaker as the cameras moved in to capture the exchange. I really hope the DSCC is rushing money in as Colorado, Iowa, and especially Kentucky now appear less probable than Georgia.

15545145325_7a289f4861.jpg
We finally know what jamesinclair looks like

I don't know if I'd call KY a lost cause. A definite long shot but the DSCC is still investing in the state, they're just letting Grimes' campaign (which has had huge fundraising) take over the advertising while shifting their money to GOTV operations.

Hilldawg is stumping for Grimey tonight:

B0AxkjuCIAAT_K7.jpg:large

Livestream here

CO and IA are not by any means gone for the Democrats.

Wha'ppen?

This.

DAVIE — At the start of Wednesday night's debate at Broward College, it was announced that Florida Gov. Rick Scott would not debate because of Charlie Crist's fan.

The Scott campaign cited debate rules saying there could be no electronic equipment on stage.

"Are we really going to debate a fan?" Crist said, standing alone at the podiums set up for two candidates. The former governor is known for bringing a portable electronic fan for interviews, speeches and other public appearances.

"This is remarkable over a trivial issue no matter which side you're on," said Frank Denton, editor of the Florida Times-Union, one of the debate monitors.

After about seven minutes, Gov. Scott took the stage and the debate began.

Gov. Rick Scott says he won't debate because of Charlie Crist's fan, but then relents 10/15/14 [Last modified: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:23pm]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom