• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

Never. Democrats played right back into the stereotype that made them so loathed pre-Obama and 2006 wave: They have no spine. They can't project confidence. Their message is disjointed.

This. They repeated the same losing strategy pre-Obama/Howard Dean. Why they thought it would be different is baffling to me.

The DNC needs another Howard Dean. Playing defense and being wishy-washy is a losing strategy. 2010 and now 2014 proved that.

benjipwns

Banned
Vermont's legislature will pick the state's governor after no candidate wins a majority in Tuesday's race, according to The Associated Press.

Gov. Peter Shumlin, the chairman of the Democratic Governors Association, was running just narrowly ahead of Republican Scott Milne, 47 percent to 45 percent, the AP reported with 91 percent of precincts counted.

Going into Tuesday's elections, Democrats held more than 2 to 1 advantages over Republicans in both state legislative chambers.
Glad they didn't find out how the state legislative races are going.

Yoda

I don't think that would have helped turnout that much. Probably would have pissed off more racist white people to be honest.

Still should've done it though because at this point who gives a fuck.

It will be far better served when the Republicans who are gung ho on their "right-wing mandate" senate agenda get thrown a curve ball of executive-action immigration and they are stuck between a revolt in the base and the prospect of guaranteeing a loss in the next presidential.

Prop 1 (water bond) wins in California

Prop 47 Reduce penalties for certain nonviolent drug and property crimes? also wins

...but remember when the democrats won every state office in California?

Sec of State and Comptroller are a tossup with 15% counted.

Averon

So, Brownback got re-elected in Kansas.

After destroying the state fiscally, he STILL won. I know it's Kansas, but I thought even blood red Republicans would see how bad GOP fiscal policy is for them, with them currently living through it.

Seems I overestimated them.

So, knowing the Republicans were probably going to take the Senate I didn't think it was going to be this bad. Did I miss something? Was it this obvious like in 2010 but did not want to believe?

The implosion of the democrat party is complete. Now we'll see a shift to the middle/right from Obama, I assume. Corporate tax cuts and "entitlement reform" alongside bad trade deals. Triangulation time.

As I said in the other thread, I don't think McConnell plans on pure obstruction now. What would be the point, now that they control congress? They'll pass their shitty bills, Obama will veto many, but I expect more than a few bipartisan bills to pass. This is now a two year audition for 2016.

xnipx

MD is true blue. To me this spells much deeper problems for the Democratic party as a whole.

No. They just didn't vote. And the ones that did were tired of paying high taxes for services that benefited the
minority
community.

Wilsongt

After destroying the state fiscally, he STILL won. I know it's Kansas, but I thought even blood red Republicans would see how bad GOP fiscal policy is for them, with them currently living through it.

Yep. Democrats took a pounding tonight.

benjipwns

Banned
2006 and 2012, I voted, Democrats won big.
2010 and 2014, I didn't vote, Republicans won big.

Yet, the data is incomplete. 2008, I didn't vote and Democrats won big. 2004, I voted and Republicans won big. Hmmm.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

Question 1
Repeal the 2013 law that automatically increases the gas tax each year with the rate of inflation?
ANSWER VOTES PCT.
Yes 1,005,198 52.7%
No 900,658 47.3

Question 2
Expand the state’s bottle and can deposit law to include non-alcoholic drinks?
ANSWER VOTES PCT.
No 1,431,851 73.1%
Yes 526,249 26.9

Grexeno

Um, thats exactly what he said?

People dont vote for a shit party with no spine that runs shit candidates on shit platforms with shit messaging.

AKA: " much deeper problems for the Democratic party as a whole."
Even the Democrats good candidates and good platforms and good messaging they still lose this year, though not as badly. Solve the turnout problem and the quality of those things is irrelevant. The Republicans certainly have figured this out.

Cross-posted from the other thread:

All I got to say is, those who have less than 3 million dollars in total assets lost pretty badly tonight. I feel bad for the poor, but if you don't go out and vote, this is what happens.

I don't know what else to say. Watching income inequality grow beyond that of many third world nations makes me thankful I have no debt and lots of money.

Always got to look at the bright side I guess.

Averon

Um, thats exactly what he said?

People dont vote for a shit party with no spine that runs shit candidates on shit platforms with shit messaging.

AKA: " much deeper problems for the Democratic party as a whole."

Dems have reverted back to their pre-Howard Dean days. Seems they learned nothing of what Dean and Obama did.

With Hilary Clinton at the top of the ticket in 2016, expect that to continue.

The implosion of the democrat party is complete. Now we'll see a shift to the middle/right from Obama, I assume. Corporate tax cuts and "entitlement reform" alongside bad trade deals. Triangulation time.

As I said in the other thread, I don't think McConnell plans on pure obstruction now. What would be the point, now that they control congress? They'll pass their shitty bills, Obama will veto many, but I expect more than a few bipartisan bills to pass. This is now a two year audition for 2016.

I expect the corporate rate getting dropping to around 28%, 1202 twist being made permanent (Obama's already said he would support such a change), maybe another high income tax rate increase in exchange but more than offsetting dividend/capital gains cuts. Will the grand bargain make a return? Who knows...

2006 and 2012, I voted, Democrats won big.
2010 and 2014, I didn't vote, Republicans won big.

Yet, the data is incomplete. 2008, I didn't vote and Democrats won big. 2004, I voted and Republicans won big. Hmmm.

Presidential elections versus midterms? How do magnets work?

Why can't Democrats ever try to triangulate from the other direction? You know, present a progressive interpretation of Christianity that manages to lift some Christians from the Republicans, leaving the Republican party as their anti-compassion, non-loving, poor-hating, libertarian core...

This image about sums it up:

qs45ylX.gif

So tell us about the good things he is going to do for the country, please.

The trolling of PD is complete. He realizes that 2016 will not be an election where he can troll so he declares his troll-victory now. He can back-pedal for the next two years.

daedalius

I hate this state.

Averon

This is why MD went red. Plenty of people I know are happy this man got elected. And these are people who have immediate family dependent on social services but hate paying taxes. Shit is baffling to me. Hogan won the lower middle class on fucking tax cuts.

Not surprising. People hate paying taxes, but love those benefits that those taxes fund.

People want all the benefits government provides, but don't want to pay for it.

edit: Why the hell are Mass Dems continuing to nominate Coakely for state races?

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...df6f7a-62c7-11e4-bb14-4cfea1e742d5_story.html
After years of tension between President Obama and his former Senate colleagues, trust between Democrats at both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue had eroded. A fight between the White House and Senate Democrats over a relatively small sum of money had mushroomed into a major confrontation.

At a March 4 Oval Office meeting, Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) and other Senate leaders pleaded with Obama to transfer millions in party funds and to also help raise money for an outside group. “We were never going to get on the same page,” said David Krone, Reid’s chief of staff. “We were beating our heads against the wall.”

The tension represented something more fundamental than money — it was indicative of a wider resentment among Democrats in the Capitol of how the president was approaching the election and how, they felt, he was dragging them down. All year on the trail, Democratic incumbents would be pounded for administration blunders beyond their control — the disastrous rollout of the health-care law, problems at the Department of Veterans Affairs, immigrant children crossing the border, Islamic State terrorism and fears about Ebola.

As these issues festered, many Senate Democrats would put the onus squarely on the president — and they were keeping their distance from him.

Senate Democrats calculated that to win in red states, they also had to alter the midterm electorate.

“There’s basically two Americas — there’s midterm America and there’s presidential-year America,” White House senior adviser Dan Pfeiffer said. “They’re almost apples and oranges. The question was, could Obama voters become Democratic voters?”

Another question hung over the party, as well: Could the White House and Democrats on Capitol Hill work together?

Obama told his team that his No. 1 political goal was to keep the Senate under Democratic control. “He was very focused on that,” said a senior White House official. “We made a decision to be pretty deferential to the candidates and the campaign committee about how to go about doing that.”

But what the White House saw as deference and support, Senate Democrats viewed as “lip service,” in the words of Krone.

This past Sunday, two days before Election Day, Krone sat at a mahogany conference table in the majority leader’s stately suite just off the Senate floor and shared with Washington Post reporters his notes of White House meetings. Reid’s top aide wanted to show just how difficult he thought it had been to work with the White House.

With Democrats under assault from Republican super-PAC ads, Reid and his lieutenants, Sens. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), went to the Oval Office on March 4 to ask Obama for help. They wanted him to transfer millions of dollars from the Democratic National Committee to the DSCC, a relatively routine transaction.

Beyond that, they had a more provocative request — they wanted Obama to help raise money for the Senate Majority PAC, an outside group run by former Reid advisers.

Despite his deep aversion to super PACs, Obama in early 2012 reluctantly sanctioned Priorities USA, a super PAC set up to back his reelection, and allowed White House and campaign officials to appear at the group’s fundraisers. But Reid and Senate Democrats thought the president was not giving the same level of support for Senate Majority PAC.

Lawyers negotiated for months over legal minutia, with Obama’s counselors insisting that the president appear only as a guest and do no donor solicitation, which would have violated federal law. After Obama appeared at two Senate Majority PAC events — June 17 in New York and July 22 in Seattle — the president’s lawyers demanded that no staffer follow up with the donors for at least seven days.

These contingencies were so strict, Krone argued, that it would be fruitless to involve the president at all. “They were setting the rules as they saw fit,” he said. “For some reason, they hid behind a lot of legal issues.”

The White House maintains that it was prudent in protecting the presidency and avoid any appearances of a quid pro quo. The senior White House official voiced displeasure with Senate Majority PAC’s methods: “They were calling Obama donors who we had long relationships with and making asks that annoyed the donors.”

The disagreements underscored a long-held contention on Capitol Hill that Obama’s political operation functioned purely for the president’s benefit and not for his party’s, although Obama allies note that the president shared with the Senate campaigns his massive lists of volunteer data and supporters’ e-mail addresses, considered by his advisers to be sacred documents.

All year, Obama traveled frequently to raise money for the party. On June 17, White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough offered to increase Obama’s appearances at DSCC fundraisers and to give donors access to the president through a “Dinner with Barack” contest and high-dollar roundtable discussions.

But Krone said McDonough told him there would be no cash transfer to the DSCC, because the DNC still had to retire its 2012 debt. On Sept. 9, Reid pressured Obama to take out a loan at the DNC to fund a DSCC transfer, Krone said. The DNC did open a line of credit and sent the DSCC a total of $5 million, beginning with $500,000 on Sept. 15 and following with $1.5 million installments on Sept. 30, Oct. 15 and Oct. 24.

“I don’t think that the political team at the White House truly was up to speed and up to par doing what needed to get done,” Krone said.

The feeling about Krone in the West Wing was mutual. Although married to Alyssa Mastromonaco, one of Obama’s closest aides until she left in March, Krone was seen as an antagonist. He acknowledged that was his prescribed part: “Guy [Cecil] could be a good cop, and I was the bad cop.”

The senior White House official said, “David was complicating things significantly in our ability to work with the Senate.” The official said a “fundamental game changer” that “broke trust” came in August, when a story in the New York Times included unflattering details about the president from an Oval Office meeting. White House officials, famous for their loathing of leaks, believed Krone was behind the story.

Krone said that the White House “likes to cast aspersions and point fingers at us.”

“No member of the Democratic caucus screwed up the rollout of that health-care Web site,” Krone added, “yet they paid the price — every one of them.”

Exasperating matters was Obama’s Oct. 2 speech in Chicago, in which he handed every Republican admaker fresh material that fit perfectly with their message: “I am not on the ballot this fall. . . . But make no mistake — these policies are on the ballot, every single one of them.”

“It took about 12 seconds for every reporter, every race, half of the Obama world to say that was probably not the right thing to say,” said a senior Democratic official.

It was so problematic that many Democrats wondered whether Obama meant to say it. He did. “It is amazing that it was in the speech,” the official said. “It wasn’t ad-libbed.”

It was just the kind of unforced error that Republican leaders had worked all year to avoid.

Meanwhile, the Braley campaign had problems. With each of his missteps — a gaffe about towel service at the House gym, hostile questioning of witnesses in committee hearings and a local fracas over a neighbor’s roaming chickens — Braley caused heartburn in Washington.

When the chicken incident became public, Reid called and said, “Bruce, look, you just have to be smarter than this — or you’re going to lose,” according to Krone. Schumer, the party’s message maven, called Braley repeatedly to help him become more disciplined.

“Braley listens for a minute and then sort of just continues back on his merry way,” said a senior Democratic official. “He’s not a good politician, which may seem like a compliment but it’s not. . . . He comes across as arrogant, and I think it’s because he is.”

Next, Democrats turned to Alison Lundergan Grimes, Kentucky’s youthful secretary of state. Bill Clinton and Hillary Rodham Clinton, longtime friends of Grimes’s father, Jerry Lundergan, called Grimes repeatedly, encouraging her. After some initial trepidation, she was in.

Although Grimes exhibited strength as a candidate, Democrats in Washington thought her campaign was troublesome. Lundergan, a former state Democratic Party chairman and owner of a catering empire, ran the operation. Grimes prioritized staffers with local knowledge and rejected the national party’s recommendations on hires and advice about messaging.

Asked last week about the tensions, Lundergan said: “I’m not going to say anything about folks in Washington, D.C. That’s what we’re running against — Washington, D.C.”

Democrats who had been otherwise impressed with Grimes’s performance were agog at her refusal to say whether she voted for Obama in 2012. As a senior White House official said jokingly, “It would be interesting to have been an Obama delegate to the [2012] convention yet [to have] voted for Romney, but anything’s possible.”

In October, Cecil, who had last spoken with Grimes during a spring fundraising tour with female senators, decided the DSCC would stop running TV ads in Kentucky. The news did not sit well with Grimes, who called Reid and a number of female senators to protest. The following week, the DSCC went back on the air.

xnipx

Not surprising. People hate paying taxes, but love those benefits that those taxes fund.

People want all the benefits government provides, but don't want to pay for it.

edit: Why the hell are Mass Dems continuing to nominate Coakely for state races?

This is true for most things in life.

But he ran on a platform of cutting both. And people really believed that the "leeches" were the main causes of high taxes. I never thought people would actually believe that bullshit.

New England has gone all red.

Mass, Connecticut, Vermont, Maine...

All massive votes for the republican gov candidate.

Rhode island dem won with 40%.

The democrat party is dead.

This shit will always happen until election day is a federal holiday. Voter participation should ideally be in the super majority range. Ironic that we have a holiday to celebrate our presidents but not a holiday to vote for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom