• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why Trump is entering:

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-...y-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2228
There are five leaders - or no leaders - as Republican voters look at likely GOP candidates in the 2016 White House race, with no candidate above 10 percent and 20 percent undecided, according to a Quinnipiac University National poll released today.

Leading the pack with 10 percent each are former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University Poll finds.

Rounding out the top 10 for televised debates are U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky at 7 percent, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas at 6 percent, Donald Trump at 5 percent, New Jersey Gov. Christopher Christie at 4 percent and Carly Fiorina and Ohio Gov. John Kasich at 2 percent each.

Everytime he's including in national polls he makes the top 10 threshold that qualifies him for the debates. He can't pass up that opportunity.

Poor Reince Preibus.

(And Hillary is beating him 50-32. All 50 states easy).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This strikes me as a weird justification for apportioning voting power on the basis of total population, since what you're making is an argument that people who are not currently eligible to vote, but who aren't incapable of casting a considered vote, deserve political representation. Like, obviously the logic of your argument requires that we just let felons and non-citizens vote, right? It's bizarrely circuitous to try to achieve representation for non-citizens by giving more voting power to citizens who live more-or-less near them, and I really have a hard time seeing how to do otherwise suggests that politicians shouldn't care about non-citizens when apparently not letting non-citizens vote at all isn't sending that message.

But anyway, you're also leaning pretty heavily on voting districts being genuine communities where the interests of resident voters align with the interests of resident non-voters. This is often not the case. It probably works out well enough for many people who are incapable of voting, like children - parents can probably be trusted to vote with their childrens' interests in mind. And we don't have any better options, since nobody wants five year olds voting. But other groups of those ineligible to vote are going to have characteristically different interests than do the eligible voters in the same district.

Like, the basis of the ACLU's prison thing, IIRC, is that prisoners increase the voting power of the community the prison is built in even though the prisoners are from very different communities and aren't part of the community the prison is built in in any meaningful way. Probably you've got a lot of very black prison populations in very white voting districts, to name the most obvious difference. The voters in districts with prisons probably even benefit from "tough on crime" policies that add jobs, etc., to communities surrounding prisons. When you give districts with prisons in them relatively more power by virtue of their ineligible-to-vote prison population, what you're doing is reducing the power of districts elsewhere in the state that actually represent the interests of the prisoners.

Felons voting and felons being represented are not the same arguments. If felons aren't supposed to have any representation at all as a matter of punishment, doesn't that mean it should also be illegal for them to write or call their representatives? After all, that's carries more weight with representation than a simple vote does.

If felons aren't allowed to vote because their motivations might be corrupt, doesn't that mean that the felon's family and friends still want to vote for his sake? After all, they don't have the criminal mind to think that stealing should be legal, but they do have experience with the criminal's experience to speak up on his behalf when the criminal system goes too far in his punishment, or when society is not doing enough to let him be able to reenter society.

It's only the same circular argument if you frame it as felons being humans worth considering, or being non-humans that deserve no consideration whatsoever.

And yes, people do vote based on their community. If people always stayed segmented off in their own demographics, you wouldn't see white people in new york voting way more democratic than white people in texas. Interactions between people shape their identity, directly and indirectly.

Districts often aren't drawn to represent that, but as long as we're going to have a democracy represented by districts, we have to work off the idea that the district is supposed to represent the community.

But the question in this case is really a second-order question of equality. The Court won't be deciding which is better between "representational equality" and "electoral equality." Instead, the Court will decide whether one or the other is constitutionally mandated. And a plaintiffs' victory in this case won't necessarily disqualify one or the other approach, as the plaintiffs argue in their Opposition to Texas' Motion:

If both can be achieved, why can't both be enforced? Why would one be constitutionally mandated while the other isn't?

Nope, not going to happen. Running for president is actual grind work, something that Trump (like Palin) isn't interested in doing. It would also ruin his quite successful gag/spin that he would "of course" win the primaries and general election if he entered the race. If he actually ran and got embarrassed it would hurt his brand.

John McCain possibly getting a primary challenge from Rep. Salmon.

If McCain loses - whether in the general or the primary - Obama should call him up on his last day in office and just be like "Hey, I figured we'll both have a lot of free time now, let's go golfing"

NeoXChaos

I want McCain to lose so bad even if it means Salmon becoming Senator. He and Grassley need to go. Now if only they can find someone to primary Grassley. 86 and 89 respectively by 2023 is enough service to the country.

NeoXChaos

Just picturing that bloodbath is making me smile.

Dont forget if trump get into the debates(IF he runs) we finally get to see him go full birtherism after Ted Cruz.

EDIT: Presidential announcements this week: SAT(O'Malley),MON(Graham),WEDS(Chafee),TH(Perry).

OMG @ Dennis Hastert. Yet another anti-GOP Republican who was a closet homosexual (or bisexual).

If I understand the history correctly, in the late 1990s, the President was impeached for lying about a sexual affair by a House of Representatives led by a man who was also then hiding a sexual affair, who was supposed to be replaced by another Congressman who stepped down when forced to reveal that he too was having a sexual affair, which led to the election of a new Speaker of the House who now has been indicted for lying about payments covering up his sexual contact with a boy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../05/29/if-i-understand-the-history-correctly/

kess

imrs.php

Chumly

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/...amers-Bill-305345441.html#.VWdTxPewmv4.reddit

Nebraska legislature overrides Governor's veto and becomes last state to let Dreamers get driver's licenses.

Our sitting right-wing governor is now 0-3 for his vetoes. In Nebraska. Damn he salty

You need to note that in the Nebraska Unicameral republicans have a SUPERMAJORITY. He is easily possible the most incompetent out of touch governor in the United States. He was finally able to buy an election after losing several times and he goes around pretending that he is somehow in touch with the normal Nebraskan. LOL

NeoXChaos

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/05/29/bernie-sanders-disowns-1972-article-on-womens-fantasies-of-rape/

In the article, written for an alternative newspaper called The Vermont Freeman, Mr. Sanders imagined male and female sexual fantasies, apparently to illustrate how both sexes have internalized gender stereotypes, which he went on to write were self-defeating. The Vermont Freeman no longer exists.

“A woman enjoys intercourse with her man — as she fantasizes being raped by 3 men simultaneously,” Mr. Sanders wrote.

In another passage, he wrote: “Do you know why the newspaper with the articles like, “Girl, 12, raped by 14 men” sell so well? To what in us are they appealing?’’

At the time, Mr. Sanders was 30 and running for Vermont governor on the antiwar Liberty Union Party ticket. He lost the race. Nine years later he was elected mayor of Burlington, Vt., as an independent. The 43-year old essay resurfaced this week in an article in Mother Jones magazine about Mr. Sanders’s formative years in Vermont’s leftist counterculture.

Bernie keeps delivering. He was only 30 though and recants it so I dont fault him for it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/05/29/bernie-sanders-disowns-1972-article-on-womens-fantasies-of-rape/

Bernie keeps delivering. He was only 30 though and recants it so I dont fault him for it.

"Keeps delivering"? He said those things were bad in the article itself.

The only problem I see is that it could be written with more tact, but is having a lack of tact in an article written 40 years ago even worth a mention at all? I'm not even sure it lacks tact if you take the context of it being written in 1972, back when Freud was way more accepted in both the psychology field and general public.

LaNaranja

Can we talk about how crazy the tee shirt prices are for some of these candidates? Both Hilary and Cruz are charging $30 for a damn shirt. Meanwhile Rand and Sanders are both selling shirts for $15. You would think they would be ok with a smaller profit margin on merchandise seeing as how it serves as publicity. :/

Also this shirt is pretty funny. It is from the Huckabee store. Shouldn't it at least say Huckabee somewhere on the shirt?

ProductImage_Tshirt-white560X400-Defeat.png

No one's going to care about it. But after lambasting the amount of deodorant choice in the US and condoning 90% top marginal tax rates last week, it probably only feeds into the narrative among media heads and party leaders/activists that he's some fringe loon.

He would be so incredibly easy to Howard Dean.

I'm interested to see how the press reacts when O'Malley enters the race. Are they just going to ignore Sanders and pretend O'Malley is the main Democratic challenger?

Can we talk about how crazy the tee shirt prices are for some of these candidates? Both Hilary and Cruz are charging $30 for a damn shirt. Meanwhile Rand and Sanders are both selling shirts for $15. You would think they would be ok with a smaller profit margin on merchandise seeing as how it serves as publicity. :/

Also this shirt is pretty funny. It is from the Huckabee store. Shouldn't it at least say Huckabee somewhere on the shirt?

https://store.mikehuckabee.com/Catalog.aspx?Type=Apparel

Where the fuck is my "The Supreme Court is NOT the supreme being" shirt?

Chichikov

I still have this shirt -
e6VhyM1.jpg

No, I did not pay for it, yes, I've cut its sleeve and I wear it when I play live shows.
What, why are you looking at me like that?
This is a normal thing that normal people do.

Diablos

He was "only" 30? When you're 30 you should know not to put those words into a newspaper article in the context that he did.

Then again it was 1972 and the US was not the overhyped sensationalist masturbatory shithole of a nation that it tends to be today under the right circumstances.

LaNaranja

I'm thinking about buying that "Defeat the Clinton Machine" shirt and wearing it in conjunction with a Bernie Sanders button. What do you guys think?

He was "only" 30? When you're 30 you should know not to put those words into a newspaper article in the context that he did.

Then again it was 1972 and the US was not the overhyped sensationalist masturbatory shithole of a nation that it tends to be today under the right circumstances.

The biggest thing for me is that he wrote it over 40 years ago. How many people here that were alive at the time can actually remember what they did and felt in 1972? And of those people, how many still hold the same beliefs that they did then?

Ecotic

Des Moines Register Poll
Alphabetical order:
first choice% (second choice%)

Bush - 9 (7)
Carson - 10 (5)
Christie - 4 (4)
Cruz - 5 (8)
Fiorina - 2 (3)
Graham - 1 (1)
Huckabee - 9 (8)
Jindal - 1 (4)
Kasich - 2 (1)
Pataki - 0 (1)
Paul - 10 (5)
Perry - 3 (6)
Rubio - 6 (12)
Santorum - 6 (6)
Trump - 4 (2)
Walker - 17 (10)

This whole email and Benghazi garbage reminds me of the Clinton impeachment stuff of old where the GOP really really cares but the rest of the country really doesn't

Diablos

I didn't even know. RIP.

Biden has had it pretty rough. I rarely say that about politicans, but he really, really has had it rough with so much loss...

NeoXChaos

ironic that his own son dies of what his close friend Ted Kennedy died from. So unexpected that it would hit close to home 6 years later.

This is horrible and shocking. I knew Beau had some health issues but I didn't think it was anything that would take him so soon. RIP and condolences to the Biden family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom