• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
When was he supposed to be an actual comedian?

Look at him in the old videos, he even looks like a troll! He's 4 foot 6!

Some idiot put this as a cited phrase on Wikipedia:

Gutfeld is a self-described libertarian.[1] Gutfeld's co-hosts on The Five have referred to him as "the Rod Serling of political and social commentary,"[2] and he has also been described as "the conservative Jon Stewart."[3]

Who. Who did that. Who are you.

benjipwns

Banned
Interestingly the New Yorker piece never even makes that claim. And arguably has more praise for the show itself than Gutfeld in particular.

What kind of world are we living in we can't even trust Wikipedia? What's next, Presidents covering up things like Benghazi?

ivysaur12

Banned
Interestingly the New Yorker piece never even makes that claim. And arguably has more praise for the show itself than Gutfeld in particular.

Yeah, I just clicked the link and scrolled through it to try to find the actual quote. WEIRD.

What kind of world are we living in we can't even trust Wikipedia? What's next, Presidents covering up things like Benghazi?

Don't jump the gun, she's not president yet.

HylianTom

Banned
The Rod Serling line made me audibly gasp here.

Nope.

Rod Serling? I wish I had his level of talent for a moment so that I could effectively describe what I think about his level of talent.

benjipwns

Banned
I've always found the "conservative Daily Show" talk to be kinda weird. You could literally do half the show or more as a "conservative" version mostly unchanged. And it's not like you couldn't mock Democrats more than Republicans on such a show in a way that a conservative audience would find it amusing.

Rush Limbaugh's TV show was arguably this. He'd make fun of the news and Democrats from a conservative perspective. And they did little segments and showed video clips of people being dumb from their POV. I mean this is the same basic kind of thing the Daily Show would run with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzqAvY0Hx9E

The success of the Daily Show is really more about the absurdity of it all. Media, politics, etc. It leans Democratic so it finds more absurdity in the Republicans, validly or not. The main problem would really just be finding the host.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Netroots Nations:

http://www.netrootsnation.org/nn_ev...ersing-the-democratic-collapse-in-the-states/

Video at the link. I would expect most in this thread would find this interesting.

I kind of wish they covered a little more than just talking about connecting to the base, but that's certainly a huge part of it. From my experience, one of the biggest problems on that front is that the inside circle of the local democratic party is extremely old, which doesn't work when the party currently lives or dies by the youth vote. It's nothing new that young people don't really show up to town hall meetings, don't meet with their politicians, and don't attend party policy meetings, but they need to start so these politicians start to understand what young democrats are really thinking.

One thing I've noticed is that there's no source for local media that really focuses on local politics. The right owns the radio. Plenty of republicans listen to the radio every day as their favorite political pundit blasts the hell out of what the local democrats want to do to their state, and that gets people riled up to vote for a midterm election that actually means something to them.

There needs to be some Roger Ailes style balancing out on the local level. Sure, the left sometimes get help from local papers and local tv news, but mostly those sources also barely touch local politics in the way. There are also plenty of fantastic activist organizations out there on the left doing a lot of good work, but they need connecting, and they need a microphone.

I'm not sure exactly what a local leftist media organization would look like, or if there is any audience out there for local leftist media, but I imagine blogs, podcasts, videos, and social media is probably the way to go.

benjipwns

Banned
Local news in general is just garbage. There's no source for local media that focuses on local news.

Look at the nightly local news, half of it is weather, you've got sports, they run two or three pre-packaged stories from a national source, maybe something about some stupid event.

Of course it's not like the national media covers things much better.

In some places you can find some kind of programming though: http://video.wkar.org/program/record/

Jooney

Not convinced there needs to be a 'conservative daily show' in the first place. Stewart and Colbert have impact on the discourse but does it compare to the millions of people who climb into their trucks every day and tune into Limbaugh, Savage and Hannity?

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't think I was Red Eye's demographic. I should probably not have liked Greg Gutfeld as much as I do. He's a funny guy. Same with Anthony Cumia and the guy from Vice.

ivysaur12

Banned
Other John Dingell winners:

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/491586961392816128

John Dingell

Staff has now informed me of what a Kardashian is.

I'm only left with more questions.

(After someone at the official EPA account accidentally tweeted that something from the Kardashian mobile game)

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/533287839820439552

John Dingell

Monday, I got word I'd receive the Medal of Freedom.

Today, staff wants me to watch Too Many Cooks.

Life is a series of strikes & gutters.

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/494569132772569090

John Dingell

So it's a tornado full of sharks? That's what the entire film is about?

Anthony cumia is so funny that it overrides any distaste a person of leftward orientation could have with his views
Also the audience in that limbaugh crowd is elderly and its 94. Whered they film that, branson missouri?

ivysaur12

Banned
POLLS! with a side of HAHAHAHA WHAT?!

Cuccinelli Early GOP Choice for 2017

Ken Cuccinelli's campaign for Governor of Virginia in 2013 was largely seen as a disaster...but Republican primary voters in the state want him to be their candidate again anyway. 37% say Cuccinelli would be their preferred nominee in 2017 to 16% who pick Eric Cantor, 8% each for Bill Bolling and Ed Gillespie, 7% for Mark Obenshain, and 1% for Pete Snyder.

Cuccinelli is by far the best known and most popular of the people we tested. 72% of primary voters are familiar with him compared to 62% for Cantor, 52% for Gillespie, and 42% for Obenshain. Cuccinelli has a +32 net favorability rating with 52% of GOP voters seeing him favorably to 20% who have a negative opinion. Cuccinelli continues to owe his strength particularly to voters who describe themselves as 'very conservative'- he has a 67/11 favorability rating with them and 47% want him as their candidate in 2017.

These numbers make it clear that Cantor's struggles with the Republican base go well beyond his old Congressional District. He has evenly split favorability numbers statewide even among GOP primary voters, with 31% seeing him favorably and 31% unfavorably. And when you look at his numbers with the overall electorate only 20% have a positive opinion of Cantor with 39% holding a negative view of him.

On the Democratic side both of the most likely contenders for 2017 are relatively unknown. Attorney General Mark Herring has 46% name recognition with Democratic primary voters and for Lieutenant Governor Ralph Northam it's 37%. Those numbers are a good reality check on how much attention voters pay to down ballot offices. Herring starts out with a substantial lead over Northam for the nomination, 33% to 9%. But at 58%, a strong majority of voters are undecided.

The hypothetical general election match ups we tested for 2017 all start out close. The match up between the preferred nominee on each side, Cuccinelli and Herring, starts out as an exact tie at 38% each. Herring also ties Obenshain at 34, leads Cantor 36/33, and trails Gillespie 38/34. Northam trails all the Republicans but by generally tight margins- 2 points to Cantor and Cuccinelli at 35/33 and 37/35 respectively, 4 to Obenshain at 36/32, and 7 to Gillespie at 37/30.

On average Gillespie is the strongest Republican, leading by an average of 5.5 points. Obenshain leads by an average of 2 points, Cuccinelli by 1, and Cantor does the worst trailing by an average of half a point. On the Democrat side Herring is stronger, averaging about a tie while Northam is on average down by about 4 points to the Republican field.

How predictive is any of this? In the summer of 2011 we found Cuccinelli leading McAuliffe by 3 points. 2 years later McAuliffe ended up beating Cuccinelli by 3 points. So really all you can take from it for now is that it's close.

Cuccinelli would be a disaster for the Republicans in 2017, especially with a growing moderate electorate. Oh man.

16% just recognized cantor's name and went with him. I refuse to believe anyone is passionate about eric cantor. At least ken 'the cootch' cuccinelli has his name going for him

ivysaur12

Banned
16% just recognized cantor's name and went with him. I refuse to believe anyone is passionate about eric cantor. At least ken 'the cootch' cuccinelli has his name going for him

Cuccinelli couldn't even beat McAuliffe, which should be, like, one of the easiest elections ever.

#ThePowerOfMook

POLLS! with a side of HAHAHAHA WHAT?!

Cuccinelli would be a disaster for the Republicans in 2017, especially with a growing moderate electorate. Oh man.

Hahaha, no way they pick Cuccinelli again. I can't believe they're already polling for this. Seems like they just finally took all the signs down yesterday.

PD has dumped on Julian Castro before for not speaking Spanish. Seems he's been boning up at least

Lucas Benitez, co-founder of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers and an activist for farmworkers in Florida, said they talked mostly about farmworkers’ challenges and housing issues. They also touched on the 2016 presidential contest, just long enough for Benitez to say that he hopes if Hillary Clinton is the Democratic nominee she taps Castro as her running mate, and for Castro to demur, “Thank you so much.”

“I talked to him in Spanish, and when I spoke Spanish he responded in Spanish,” said Benitez, dismissing digs that Castro’s language skills aren’t as good as Virginia Senator Tim Kaine’s, the other most often speculated-upon candidate for the second half of a prospective ticket. Castro’s language skills were “not 100 percent” but good enough as far as Benitez was concerned. “He understood everything I said.”

NeoXChaos

A year from now Castro will probably be the VP nominee. He wont be a Palin disaster. However if he is across the table from Rubio, Kasich, or a Sandoval the optics look worrisome. He might blow it. The most important role for a VP nominee is showing the electorate you are ready to be president day 1 if the unfortunate happens. He would only have 3 months of prep and plenty of scrutinizing interviews etc. He better be up for the job. His VP opponent will certainly be more experienced.

Kaine would not have this problem so there is that.

A Castro pick would be as cynical and desperate as Palin, if not moreso. Hillary selecting him would suggest her campaign is in trouble and needs a spark, or that she fears losing enough of the Hispanic vote to lose the election.

Kaine makes sense, but I'd rather see someone else. Who that is...I don't know. Biden was perfect for Obama in the sense that he shored up a weakness (white middle class voters). What will Hillary's weakness be by May or June? I would hope/imagine that Virginia wouldn't be one, or else the campaign would really be in trouble. Base excitement comes to mind...but I don't see any candidates who excite the base and have EC worth.

HylianTom

Banned
I think Hillary's main weakness will be perceived dishonesty. The public will like her overall moderate position on the ideological scale, and she won't reeeeally need a swing state boost, as she has so many paths to 270.

So.. who can make the ticket seem more ethical? This might result in a surprise pick, but my mind is drawing a blank on who it'd be.

If no one fits the bill, I'd still bet that she picks whoever is the Best-Virginia-Option in anticipation of a slightly tighter race, just due to the public's hesitance to give the White House back to the same party for a third term.

ivysaur12

Banned
A Castro pick would be as cynical and desperate as Palin, if not moreso. Hillary selecting him would suggest her campaign is in trouble and needs a spark, or that she fears losing enough of the Hispanic vote to lose the election.

Kaine makes sense, but I'd rather see someone else. Who that is...I don't know. Biden was perfect for Obama in the sense that he shored up a weakness (white middle class voters). What will Hillary's weakness be by May or June? I would hope/imagine that Virginia wouldn't be one, or else the campaign would really be in trouble. Base excitement comes to mind...but I don't see any candidates who excite the base and have EC worth.

You don't? There's probably more obvious choice than Kaine or Castro.

120930_sherrod_brown_ap_328.jpg

NeoXChaos

Everyone is so obsessed with VA when the real action will be in OH and FL. They still matter and as the last election showed the earliest to call. If Hillary is losing OH and FL then VA is probably at waters edge.

HylianTom

Banned
Nobody votes for a Presidential candidate on the strength of their running mate.

First rule of picking a running mate: do no harm.

The downside is much, much higher in magnitude.

Example: in 1992, I remember a closing poll that showed a significant portion of swing voters (somewhere around 25%) saying that they based their decision to not vote for George H.W. Bush based on his running mate.

potatoe.jpg

I think Hillary's main weakness will be perceived dishonesty. The public will like her overall moderate position on the ideological scale, and she won't reeeeally need a swing state boost, as she has so many paths to 270.

So.. who can make the ticket seem more ethical? This might result in a surprise pick, but my mind is drawing a blank on who it'd be.

If no one fits the bill, I'd still bet that she picks whoever is the Best-Virginia-Option in anticipation of a slightly tighter race, just due to the public's hesitance to give the White House back to the same party for a third term.

Sanders.

You don't? There's probably more obvious choice than Kaine or Castro.

120930_sherrod_brown_ap_328.jpg

If anyone would reject the opportunity it's Brown. I don't see him tying himself to the inevitable corporatist/crony administration Hillary will no doubt institute.

Besides I think Hillary needs someone younger who excites the base. Brown doesn't fit that category.

Ecotic

Maybe Hillary should ditch trying to balance the ticket with someone who has youth and charisma and go for a pick reinforcing her strength. Pick an older, experienced person and run as the grown-up ticket. Especially if Republicans pick someone like Walker who is easily characterized as kind of dangerous.

If Obama's numbers and the economy hold up I don't see this being a change election. More like 1988, people vote for the experienced continuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom