• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is he done? Anyone who watched 2012 saw a variety of clowns rise to the top only to fall. Trump hasn't fallen yet but will. Does anyone think pro gay marriage Carly Fiorna is a serious contestant? What about Ben Carson? Come on. The "serious" candidates plus Cruz will rise. Long term people like Carson and Fiorna don't have the money to last.

This is an argument for Jeb Bush weathering the storm, not so much for someone lower in the polls turning things around. Rubio isn't equivalent to Romney in 2012.

How is he done? Anyone who watched 2012 saw a variety of clowns rise to the top only to fall. Trump hasn't fallen yet but will. Does anyone think pro gay marriage Carly Fiorna is a serious contestant? What about Ben Carson? Come on. The "serious" candidates plus Cruz will rise. Long term people like Carson and Fiorna don't have the money to last.

If Fiorina can stay in the top 5 or so tons of libertarian Silicon Valley money will come to her. I also think the other candidates will be leery of getting a fight with the only female in the field.

Romney was always either leading or second to the flavor of the month. His support was always stable though while no one else's was, and he was clearly in a tier above the pack. This led most everyone to acknowledge him as the frontrunner when you also considered his money and establishment support.

Huntsman :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Based on what? The guy has offended nearly every offendable group on the GOP side and is getting stronger.

Unless we see a major scandal, I'm not sure what would make any of these other candidates overtake him.

Based on what? The guy has offended nearly every offendable group on the GOP side and is getting stronger.

Unless we see a major scandal, I'm not sure what would make any of these other candidates overtake him.

If all the non-Cruz voters (Cruz voters will obviously go to Trump) head to Jeb, he'll overtake Trump. I'm not certain that Carson voters or Florina voters prefer Jeb over Trump though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If all the non-Cruz voters (Cruz voters will obviously go to Trump) head to Jeb, he'll overtake Trump. I'm not certain that Carson voters or Florina voters prefer Jeb over Trump though.

I believe Carson's voting block is massively evangelical, and Trump leads with evangelicals right now.

I just think the anti-establishment movemrnt is big enough now to where they'll carry Trump to the nomination. I mean, the top 2 guys are anti-establishment guys. Over 40% of GOP voters want a non-lifetime politician. That's crazy high.

2016 RCP GOP polling average

tsRTdF6.png

I think Bush is still the leader if Trump falls, going by the averages so far.

Plinko

tsRTdF6.png

I agree with this. People need to remember he has a ton of money. A TON. We haven't even really hit the ad campaign yet, either.

Ecotic

Trump has moved out of blowout territory vs. Clinton.

Clinton 47
Trump 42

Clinton 42
Bush 44

Clinton 44
Rubio 46

Clinton 47
Fiorina 40

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/08/16/fox-news-poll-shakeup-in-gop-field-after-first-debate-sanders-gains-on-clinton/?intcmp=hplnws

Bush (+2 points) and Rubio (+2 points) hold an edge over Clinton in hypothetical head-to-head matchups (both are within the margin of error). Bush tied Clinton in June and was up by one-point in May. This marks the first time Rubio has an advantage over the Democratic frontrunner.

Clinton tops Fiorina by 7 points, which is mostly unchanged from June.

Trump has narrowed the gap and trails Clinton by just 5 points, down from 17 two months ago.

None of the candidates receive 50 percent or better in any of the two-way match-ups tested.

GOP concern over Trump running as an independent is justified: the poll finds Bush’s 2-point edge over Clinton in the two-way vote becomes an 11-point deficit when Trump is also on the ballot as an independent. Same for Rubio: he goes from +2 to -12. Fiorina goes from -7 to -18 points.

About a third of Bush voters (31 percent) and Rubio voters (31 percent) in the two-way match-up, defect to Trump in the three-way match-up.

Plinko

Oh god, I want to see what that looks like.
If it's anywhere near as exciting as he was in the debate, then he's go...*falls asleep*

GOP concern over Trump running as an independent is justified: the poll finds Bush’s 2-point edge over Clinton in the two-way vote becomes an 11-point deficit when Trump is also on the ballot as an independent. Same for Rubio: he goes from +2 to -12. Fiorina goes from -7 to -18 points.

About a third of Bush voters (31 percent) and Rubio voters (31 percent) in the two-way match-up, defect to Trump in the three-way match-up.

This is a huge problem for the GOP. Their best choice may end up being Trump as the nominee.

I do think Trump is more electable than any of the establishment.

Bush/Walker/Rubio: All hate women to an extreme extent.
Bush/Rubio: Hated by the far right.
Bush/Walker: Incredibly dumb with obviously bad foreign policy ideas and both have the personality and speaking skills of dry paint.
Bush: Has the W's stigma with him.
Walker: Crook.

NeoXChaos

Trump has moved out of blowout territory vs. Clinton.

Clinton 47
Trump 42

Clinton 42
Bush 44

Clinton 44
Rubio 46

Clinton 47
Fiorina 40

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/08/16/fox-news-poll-shakeup-in-gop-field-after-first-debate-sanders-gains-on-clinton/?intcmp=hplnws

That poll is bad for Hillary. Within 5 of that joker? I guess she won't be blowing Trump out the water. I saw a Missouri poll that had Trump leading HIllary by 9. The country is more polarized then I thought.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Trump's lead increases to +17 without Carson according to that Fox News poll. Without Carson it's Trump 28%, Cruz 11%, Bush 10%, Walker 7%.

Plinko

Trump's lead increases to +17 without Carson according to that Fox News poll. Without Carson it's Trump 28%, Cruz 11%, Bush 10%, Walker 7%.

That's what I figured. Trump is bizarrely drawing evangelicals. Never understand why people argue that Carson's voters would go to Walker. Makes no sense at all.

FyreWulff

If the entire country was important, there'd seriously have to be some regulations. I couldn't stand ads for a whole year and a half.

I'd be fine with just banning political campaign ads completely.

Package that with banning ads for medicine like every other country has and TV would probably have ratings skyrocket.

This quote makes me less nervous about the Fox News poll:

Bush (+2 points) and Rubio (+2 points) hold an edge over Clinton in hypothetical head-to-head matchups (both are within the margin of error). Bush tied Clinton in June and was up by one-point in May. This marks the first time Rubio has an advantage over the Democratic frontrunner.

Both of the bolded were outliers at the time. Clinton's polling average against Bush was +4.2 last time I checked (which was yesterday). Every time a poll showed Bush with a tie or a lead, another poll would come out a week later showing Clinton up by 7 or so.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd be fine with just banning political campaign ads completely.

Package that with banning ads for medicine like every other country has and TV would probably have ratings skyrocket.

This makes too much sense, especially the bit about banning prescription drug ads. Allowing that never made sense to me.

Plinko

Lindsey Graham: "Trump is going backwards and taking GOP with him"

I'd actually argue that Trump is trying to bring the GOP into the 21st century.

This quote makes me less nervous about the Fox News poll:

Both of the bolded were outliers at the time. Clinton's polling average against Bush was +4.2 last time I checked (which was yesterday). Every time a poll showed Bush with a tie or a lead, another poll would come out a week later showing Clinton up by 7 or so.

Fox polls have been showing Bush doing 3-5 points better than the average since Spring. It's a total joke.

NeoXChaos

In before NeoXChaos

She's not guaranteed anything. As much as a lot of folks on gaf like to pretend otherwise, the republican party is strong and resonates with a lot of voters. The Bush name is going to go a long ways for Jeb. Trump also has the potential to get the nod.

On top of that she has strong opposition in Sanders and quite possibly Biden.

I will say she likely has the best chance as of right now, but nothing is for certain especially this early on.

I am famous now.

Plinko

Yahoo article about Interview with Chuck Todd said:
Trump said that he "possibly" donated to Planned Parenthood and suggested he supports affirmative action, laws banning businesses from firing gay employees, and statehood for Washington, D.C.

Please, continue telling me he'd be worse than any of the other GOP candidates.

Romney was always tied with or running right behind those guys though.

Jeb is in 4th, Walker is in 6th, Rubio is in 9th. The base isn't having any of what the GOP establishment is offering right now. I'm not saying any of those three are down for the count, but this is rather different than 2012 where there was one obvious frontrunner and one sideshow of the month at all times.

It was fun to dream about HIllary beating Trump by those wide margins but the GOP base was always going to line up behind whoever the candidate was.

RDreamer

Romney was always tied with or running right behind those guys though.

Jeb is in 4th, Walker is in 6th, Rubio is in 9th. The base isn't having any of what the GOP establishment is offering right now. I'm not saying any of those three are down for the count, but this is rather different than 2012 where there was one obvious frontrunner and one sideshow of the month at all times.

It was fun to dream about HIllary beating Trump by those wide margins but the GOP base was always going to line up behind whoever the candidate was.

It's definitely going to be hard for the establishment to make the same arguments they made with Romney a 2nd/3rd time in a row. Base ain't gonna go for it this time.

ivysaur12

Banned
It must be pretty shocking to the donor class at how little people seem to care about Rubio and now Walker. I imagine Rubio comes back stronger in 2020 (and he would be a great foil to a President Clinton), but still, I expected him to do better this cycle.

Please, continue telling me he'd be worse than any of the other GOP candidates.

Statehood for Washington DC should be, like, one of the defining movements of our time.

NeoXChaos

It must be pretty shocking to the donor class at how little people seem to care about Rubio and now Walker. I imagine Rubio comes back stronger in 2020 (and he would be a great foil to a President Clinton), but still, I expected him to do better this cycle.

Statehood for Washington DC should be, like, one of the defining movements of our time.

not happening. The Republicans would never allow it. That would be a guaranteed Governor, State House, State Senate, U.S House and 2 Democratic U.S Senate Pickups.

ivysaur12

Banned
not happening. The Republicans would never allow it. That would be a guaranteed Governor, State House, State Senate, U.S House and 2 Democratic U.S Senate Pickups.

It's not even about politics. There are 600,000+ people (and growing faster than Vermont, Wyoming, and a host of other small states) who have zero voting representation in our Congress. There's a moral argument that's impossible to ignore.

Even with DC Statehood, the Republicans would still hold both chambers of Congress! I'm also okay allowing some bullshit red-leaning break-off of some state in order to counterbalance DC actually having voting representation, because it's the right thing to do.

Pretty sure disarray looks more like this:

tsRTdF6.png

D.C. receiving statehood could easily be countered by giving North Carolina an extra congressional district. Though with how gerrymandered that state is as it is it would probably end up being another Democratic vote sink so maybe the GOP wouldn't go for that.

Puerto Rico should be a state also. Five safe Democratic districts right there.

He's not likely gonna win but he has a strong shot at the VP slot.

Which he'll lose, and probably won't even gain much political capital from it.

He's young (for a politician) and could have had a much easier time in 2020 or 2024 - neither of which would have clashed with Senate reelection.

But no doubt he'll get some cushy, high-paying gig after this mess, so it won't be a total loss for him or anything.

Plinko

The more I hear from him on stuff like this, the larger that Bill Clinton phone call looms.

Would be hilarious if this turns out to be true.

I foresee him showing up at HRC's victory celebration election night and ripping his suitjacket off to show a Hillary 2016 shirt.

He's a fan of wrestling. It could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom