• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Republicans are writing off Kasich (and I'm starting to reconsider my initial stance that he will enter the race) is exactly why they're going to lose again next year.

If you're going to pick a governor, pick a governor who puts governance in front of boneheaded political grandstanding.

Avik Roy is still around? Heh.

I agree about Kasich, and reading some of that article it becomes clear why he's not desired by the right. He actually governs and is focused on improving his state, not checking off items on a conservative list of demands. Kasich and Walker seem like they're on two opposing sides of the spectrum. Kasich has governed realistically - while he's obviously a conservative, he has avoided many of the trappings that most 2010 GOP governors fell into. His state's economy has steadily improved. Walker has legislated like an ideologue and while Wisconsin's economy isn't bad "bad" (sorry liberals), it's rather stagnant.

I think republicans want Walker's style of conservatism, which boils down to there really being no responsibilities to governing outside of adhering to strict ideological bullshit.

I'd compare our governor (Snynder) to Kasich as well. Another guy who would make sense as a presidential candidate but isn't flashy enough or a true true believer.

Sometimes I feel like I'm actually praising Kasich, and that makes me feel gross because his core economic philosophy is every bit as bad as you'd expect from a Republican governor. Plus, he's not the least bit progressive on social issues like abortion and SSM.

But I have a grudging respect for his honesty and his unwillingness to pander to lunatic Republicans just to increase his profile on the national stage.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Obama is going to Kenya. RETURNING TO THE NATION OF HIS BIRTH. SEE! SEE!

He must need a new copy of his birth certificate:

NjN86eH.gif

Avik Roy is such a hack.

It's crazy how opposition to the ACA has become basically a religious matter to many in the right. Roy sounds like an inquisitor in that exchange with Kasich. They should just call him a heretic outright.

ivysaur12

Banned
Rep. Cheri Bustos will not run for Senate, meaning that Duckworth has a pretty clean ride to the nomination. I could see Bustos running if Durbin retires in 2020.

gcubed

Avik Roy is still around? Heh.

I agree about Kasich, and reading some of that article it becomes clear why he's not desired by the right. He actually governs and is focused on improving his state, not checking off items on a conservative list of demands. Kasich and Walker seem like they're on two opposing sides of the spectrum. Kasich has governed realistically - while he's obviously a conservative, he has avoided many of the trappings that most 2010 GOP governors fell into. His state's economy has steadily improved. Walker has legislated like an ideologue and while Wisconsin's economy isn't bad "bad" (sorry liberals), it's rather stagnant.

I think republicans want Walker's style of conservatism, which boils down to there really being no responsibilities to governing outside of adhering to strict ideological bullshit.

I'd compare our governor (Snynder) to Kasich as well. Another guy who would make sense as a presidential candidate but isn't flashy enough or a true true believer.

i love how you have moved so effortless from "he has the economic chops because Wisconsin is doing so well!" to its just kinda bad.

I applaud you sir

NeoXChaos

Since Rubio is 99.9% running for President and leaving his seat open, the Democrats could possibly gain his seat and lose the governorship to him in 2 years. Of course provided he should lose his presidential bid and not end up in a Republican Administration cabinet position or changes his mind next summer.

Trouble

Banned
Since Marco is 99.9% running for President and leaving his seat open, the Democrats could possibly gain his seat and lose the governorship to him in 2 years. Of course provided he should lose his presidential bid and not end up in a Republican Administration cabinet position or changes his mind next summer.

Or he could become basically unelectable in FL because of a hard right primary swing.

Kirk is an incumbent senator. That itself comes with advantages. It wont be easy taking him or any incumbent out.
He's an incumbent in a state that's like D+20 (I realize this is a high exaggeration). Remember that Scott Brown looked invincible for much of the 2012 cycle but Warren won pretty handily - Kirk is in a bluer state and I would think less popular.

Not to say Duckworth is a lock but I feel better about her chances than I do about Kirk's. IL and WI seem like the easiest Dem pickups with PA not too far behind.

NeoXChaos

He's an incumbent in a state that's like D+20 (I realize this is a high exaggeration). Remember that Scott Brown looked invincible for much of the 2012 cycle but Warren won pretty handily - Kirk is in a bluer state and I would think less popular.

Not to say Duckworth is a lock but I feel better about her chances than I do about Kirk's. IL and WI seem like the easiest Dem pickups with PA not too far behind.

MA PVI: +10
IL PVI: +8

Presidential
MA 2012 Result: +27
IL 2004 Result: +10

Excluding home state bounce for Obama and Kerry respectively.

ivysaur12

Banned
If we learned anything from this Indiana flap, is that the GOP bench may be wide, but it's certainly not deep. In no way is Pence ready for prime time, just like many of the GOP presidential hopefuls.

Jooney

Meanwhile, in Arizona ...

PHOENIX (KPHO/KTVK/AP) - Gov. Doug Ducey has signed a bill requiring abortion providers to tell women they can reverse the effects of a drug-induced abortion.

The legislation also bars women from buying healthcare plans through the federal marketplace that include abortion coverage.

The governor issued a two-sentence statement:

"The American people overwhelmingly oppose taxpayer funding of abortions, and it's no different in Arizona, where we have long-standing policy against subsidizing them with public dollars. This legislation provides clarity to state law."

Ducey made good on a pledge to back "right to life" laws in a continuation of former Gov. Jan Brewer's tough stance on abortion.

The proposal signals another win for the Center for Arizona Policy in its campaign to tighten the state's abortion restrictions.

The medication rule is believed to be the first time such legislation has passed in the U.S. Critics say there's no science to back up the provision.

Ducey signed Senate Bill 1318 on Monday and said the insurance provision ensures taxpayers aren't subsidizing abortions.

Anyone else notice how male candidates always seem to emphasize their last names in campaign logos/materials, while female candidates always emphasize their first names?

MA PVI: +10
IL PVI: +8

Presidential
MA 2012 Result: +27
IL 2004 Result: +10

Excluding home state bounce for Obama and Kerry respectively.
Thought Obama did better in IL than MA. I was wrong. Oops. However his performance in both states is remarkably similar.

I don't know if it's wise to throw out Obama's performance in IL just because of home state advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom