• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
conservatives trying to dig up old trevor noah tweets and pretending there is a #doublestandard

A double standard regarding what exactly? Are they trying to claim The Daily Show is a (liberal!) news program again? Or a double standard related to a TV personality like the Duck Dynasty guy and his recent anti-atheist comments?

Edit: this?

New Daily Show Host Trevor Noah Is Callous Jew-Basher on Twitter
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...trevor-noah-is-callous-jew-basher-on-twitter/

A double standard regarding what exactly? Are they trying to claim The Daily Show is a (liberal!) news program again? Or a double standard related to a TV personality like the Duck Dynasty guy and his recent anti-atheist comments?

Edit: this?

New Daily Show Host Trevor Noah Is Callous Jew-Basher on Twitter
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...trevor-noah-is-callous-jew-basher-on-twitter/

wait, what's the double standard?

He made fat, women and jew jokes. Nothing seems to have been beyond the pale or what I saw on the beiber roast tonight.

but I saw the freebeacons of the world starting up the concern troll machine.

Eh, looking at those polls numbers, we'll hopefully be such a better a nation in 30 years when Malia is getting sworn in as President after Chelsea's two terms.

Isn't Trevor's mom Jewish?

I hope his tweets don't lead to liberals boycotting the show or writing think pieces on the seven ways his hateful words shame fat people or are sexist.

Isn't Trevor's mom Jewish?

I hope his tweets don't lead to liberals boycotting the show or writing think pieces on the seven ways his hateful words shame fat people or are sexist.
I though she was black and his dad was swiss or something.

There's nothing really horrible in those jokes. And I haven't seen one liberal get pissed. I saw weigel and some free beacon dude rt some chick that said she was disappointed in a fat joke tweet but followed it up with another saying its no reason to get upset.

It seems to me conservatives feel liberals should get mad because "what of a conservative said it!" Trolls. Once again missing the point.... I haven't seen any liberals saying much of anything. Its just away for the white frat dudes of reason to make fun of the "problem seekers".

benjipwns

Banned
BREITBART EXCLUSIVE:
Dr. Ben Carson, a likely 2016 presidential contender, tells Breitbart News that it is “absolutely vital” Americans stand up for Indiana Gov. Mike Pence’s new religious freedom law.

Speaking about the Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act—which has drawn fire from the left—Carson said the First Amendment is one of the basic pillars and a founding principle of the nation.

“It is absolutely vital that we do all we can to allow Americans to practice their religious ways, while simultaneously ensuring that no one’s beliefs infringe upon those of others. We should also serve as champions of freedom of religion throughout the world,” Carson tells Breitbart News.

He notes that individuals committing horrific acts of intolerance are persecuting people across the world because of religion.

“As Americans, we have an obligation to denounce these acts of persecution. For when we stand up to such intolerance, we are defending the root of our freedom, both at home and abroad,” he said.

Totally unrelated, "millennials":
OneNightStand.gif

EDIT: Actually 18-34 year olds.

benjipwns

Banned
Supreme Court allows death panels
(Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to hear a new challenge to President Barack Obama's healthcare law that took aim at a bureaucratic board labeled by some Republicans as a "death panel" because it was designed to cut Medicare costs.

The high court left intact a ruling by the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that threw out the lawsuit.

The court’s action in an unsigned order was a victory for Obama administration, which has faced a barrage of legal challenges to the 2010 Affordable Care Act, often called Obamacare. The court is currently weighing a separate case challenging health insurance subsidies that are key to Obamacare’s implementation. A ruling is due by the end of June.

In the case that the justices rejected on Monday, Arizona-based business owner Nick Coons and Dr. Eric Novack, an orthopedic surgeon, sued in 2011 in litigation backed by a conservative legal group.

Among other things, they challenged the Independent Payment Advisory Board, or IPAB, a 15-member government panel dubbed by some Republicans as a "death panel" because of its intended role in trimming costs within Medicare, the government healthcare program for the elderly and disabled.

Lower courts threw out the lawsuit. In its August 2014 ruling, the appeals court said that the plaintiffs had not shown they had suffered any harm that they could sue over.

On the IPAB claim, the court noted that under the terms of the healthcare law, the board acts only if Medicare spending increases at a certain level. The earliest it could ever take any action that could potentially reduce Novack’s Medicare reimbursements would be in 2019.
Racist.

Chichikov

BREITBART EXCLUSIVE:

Totally unrelated, "millennials":
OneNightStand.gif

EDIT: Actually 18-34 year olds.
After we sort out LGBT rights, the next cause should be a push for casual sex.
Seriously kids, you need to open your heart and let Jesus in, and by hearts I mean pants, and by Jesus I mean a sex organ.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
McKay Coppins trying so hard to hold onto his gay-friendly bush comment and squaring it with bush's support for indiana

Oh, please. You're not fooling anyone with that name, Mary.

BREITBART EXCLUSIVE:

When someone says "for" to mean "because," that's how you know shit's about to get Biblical.

Meh. It was rejected on ripeness grounds. Conceivably, it will be back.

It's just not entirely clear when.

Wilsongt

Oh, please. You're not fooling anyone with that name, Mary.

When someone says "for" to mean "because," that's how you know shit's about to get Biblical.

Meh. It was rejected on ripeness grounds. Conceivably, it will be back.

It's just not entirely clear when.

Your obsession with world usage is amazing. You must have had a hard on when Clinton asked the meaning of the word "is".

benjipwns

Banned
I think the Daily Show/Nightly Show bloc is just going to sink anyway. Especially since it sounds like with Jon moving on, Comedy Central is going to have a lot more say.

Also forgot to post these gold comments from Deadline's article before it was official:
He’s cute but I have no sense of what he’s about. It’s been too soon since they hired him. Not that it makes any difference, I suppose. Just hire Rachel Maddow, if they can wrest her from MSNBC, which I doubt.
Rachel Maddow would be another excellent choice. She’s got deep experience in the political arena and she is also very funny while still able to make a point.
She’s one of very few women journalists out there right now who I think could make a serious go at the TDS desk and pull it off.
I think Comedy Central should give her a week and see how she does.
Fugelsang would be a fantastic choice. Or what about Kevin Pereira, who worked with Chris Hardwick and co-hosted G4’s Attack of the Show?
Don’t know what it is with these NETWORKS in the USA getting their talent from other countries.
I’m feeling more and more like I’m living in a foreign country. CNN puts on Limmies telling us how our elections are going in our own country!
Hoping for a funny female as there are zero headlining a show like this. Tired of the excuses and think it will expand the audience and the conversation. I don’t expect it out of the Daily show as Jon Stewarts blind spot has always been and remains sexism. Even Hollywood is catching on to the female audience now, come on Daily Show.

Tina Fey, Rachel Maddow, Jessica Williams should be considered for starters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Right, that's exactly what the article claims.

Soon the media will be going full throttle telling us how we're all terrible people for questioning this choice.

Well, the more of his stand-up I see on youtube the more I actually think he's the perfect choice. I think it's just going to be an issue of him not having enough exposure, Comedy Central will air a few of his specials in the next couple weeks and everyone will jump behind him.

He's managed to bring a joke about a girl he met in Malibu around to make fun of the South African president, I spent the whole bit wondering where he's going with it and then he just drops the bomb and I fucking die. If you don't know the South African president
had sex with the daughter of a friend of his, who was HIV+, and when he was asked if he protected himself he said, and no I am not even kidding, "I took a shower."

Honestly, after seeing that I've got no doubts anymore. He's gonna kill it.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Your obsession with world usage is amazing. You must have had a hard on when Clinton asked the meaning of the word "is".

Are you telling me that you didn't mentally hear his voice becoming deeper and louder with that last sentence? He probably pushed out his chest, cocked an eyebrow, and looked around the room for admirers, too. Maybe raised a hand, Hamlet-style.

We should ask the journalist. He'll know.

EDIT: Also, I was, like, ten. Perv.

Again: who thought this man was presidential material? Regardless of your opinion on the bill, he can't even run a press conference correctly.
Wasn't it Mitch everybody was hyped up on?

Dave wiegle showing how liberals turned on Noah with.... one Vox article saying some of his jokes were offensive.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-from-progressive-icon-to-villain-in-24-hours

If there's anything that annoys me more is white bros in DC pretending to put down "hot takes" with old fashioned conservative "outrage bait"

teiresias

I'm absolutely loving how all the Republican hopefuls are lining up to defend the Indiana law. Can't wait for this to only get worse as now this issue is red meat for the base and then see whoever ends up with the nomination tries to moderate in the general.

Shit will be glorious and hilarious.

Kirk is an incumbent senator. That itself comes with advantages. It wont be easy taking him or any incumbent out.

He has no chance. He won in a non-presidential year, *barely*. He hasn't been popular in general, and unless I miss my guess, there will be an attempt to Primary him by the right, given that he's one of the most moderate Senators.

I though she was black and his dad was swiss or something.

There's nothing really horrible in those jokes. And I haven't seen one liberal get pissed. I saw weigel and some free beacon dude rt some chick that said she was disappointed in a fat joke tweet but followed it up with another saying its no reason to get upset.

It seems to me conservatives feel liberals should get mad because "what of a conservative said it!" Trolls. Once again missing the point.... I haven't seen any liberals saying much of anything. Its just away for the white frat dudes of reason to make fun of the "problem seekers".

His mom is half Jewish.

Most policing of comedy is coming from the left these days. Thank god "think pieces" and tumblr didn't exist in the 80s when Eddie Murphy was doing stand up.

Jokes are jokes; if it's a good joke/funny so be it. I'm not sold that Noah will be hosting the show in 4-5 years though; seems like the audience is too invested in Stewart (who isn't even funny or particularly smart) and has no interest in letting the next guy find his feet. Apparently Colbert's replacement is struggling ratings wise, I'd imagine Noah won't do much better despite having sex appeal.

The other reason I'm not sold he's a long term host is that his career has been an astronomical blur. This is just a stepping stone for him. He'll probably be acting or president of the United States in 5 years.

I think the Daily Show/Nightly Show bloc is just going to sink anyway. Especially since it sounds like with Jon moving on, Comedy Central is going to have a lot more say.

Also forgot to post these gold comments from Deadline's article before it was official:
I don't understand the noisy liberal position that TDS host should automatically have been a woman...why? Just today I was reading the CNN opinion that carried the title "TDS missed an opportunity", a spiel about when women will get to be hosts of talk shows. Look I'm not denying that there is a possibility of sexism in high level executive board rooms in NBC, CBS or Comedy Central. But the cure isn't lets install a token female host.

Also I'm not completely sold on Trevor Noah. Stewart earned mad respect from me when he thrashed Israel during Cast Lead and taking Ayan Hirsi's demagoguery to task. I guess I just have to wait and see what Noah brings to the table.

Edit: I should point out that I always liked Stewart and respected him. He simply has gotten better and better as the show went on. The whole CNN crossfire incident was too good and his principle of sticking to fairness and speaking out on double standards always stuck with me.

I don't understand the noisy liberal position that TDS host should automatically have been a woman...why? Just today I was reading the CNN opinion that carried the title "TDS missed an opportunity", a spiel about when women will get to be hosts of talk shows. Look I'm not denying that there is a possibility of sexism in high level executive board rooms in NBC, CBS or Comedy Central. But the cure isn't lets install a token female host.

Also I'm not completely sold on Trevor Noah. Stewart earned mad respect from me when he thrashed Israel during Cast Lead and taking Ayan Hirsi's demagoguery to task. I guess I just have to wait and see what Noah brings to the table.

Identity politics has essentially become a game. Hashtag your side and demand changes or else riot. Apparently CC offered the job to two women initially and they rejected it. But clearly this is all about sexism and sending the wrong messages to girls. Fuck that.

I'm all for diversity, but diversity doesn't mean giving people jobs because they're a minority or a woman. CC was clearly looking for a non-white guy, they offered the job to a couple women...but ultimately a mixed black guy from South Africa accepted the job. What's there to be mad about?

Identity politics has essentially become a game. Hashtag your side and demand changes or else riot. Apparently CC offered the job to two women initially and they rejected it. But clearly this is all about sexism and sending the wrong messages to girls. Fuck that.

I'm all for diversity, but diversity doesn't mean giving people jobs because they're a minority or a woman. CC was clearly looking for a non-white guy, they offered the job to a couple women...but ultimately a mixed black guy from South Africa accepted the job. What's there to be mad about?
Who did CC offer the job to? Bee?

His mom is half Jewish.

Most policing of comedy is coming from the left these days. Thank god "think pieces" and tumblr didn't exist in the 80s when Eddie Murphy was doing stand up.

Jokes are jokes; if it's a good joke/funny so be it. I'm not sold that Noah will be hosting the show in 4-5 years though; seems like the audience is too invested in Stewart (who isn't even funny or particularly smart) and has no interest in letting the next guy find his feet. Apparently Colbert's replacement is struggling ratings wise, I'd imagine Noah won't do much better despite having sex appeal.

The other reason I'm not sold he's a long term host is that his career has been an astronomical blur. This is just a stepping stone for him. He'll probably be acting or president of the United States in 5 years.

I saw that thing about his mom after I posted.

Your completely wrong about there not being critics of comedy in the 80s. There were people decrying the murphys and carlins of the day they just were on right saying america is declining and our morals are gone. I keep hearing all about this upserge of leftist though policing. Its the same stuff that was repeated ad nausem in the 90s the first age of PCness, but basically all it was, was a shift away from more overt racism, sexism and stereotyping of earlier eras. Nobody really thinks so amazing controversies of that time are anything specail now. And they wont in the future with the 2nd wave of anti-sexism and racism

This whole episode is a concern troll because the right would love to take down the daily show which so many get their news from. These concerns started with right wingers picking up the jew jokes and buzzfeed's guy literally spending hours dredging up bad tweets. This isn't a grassroots movement blasting him for being offensive. Again, the concern trolls don't understand why its different for different people to make jokes.

The only real things I've seen come out are either articles from the left about him not being that funny, and meta articles about how there is controversy because people are all writing the same article about how there is controversy.

And I don't think its shocking wilmore is struggling and a lot of the daily show watchers are kind of worried. They like the comfortable of people from their experience sharing their political views nightly. A black dude and an African don't come from the same background and are different, people seek comfort. This is why people love fallon he makes them feel great with their 90s nostalgia.

Knowing that CC offered the job to Poehler and Schumer and got turned down by both of them makes me okay with the fact that they ultimately didn't hire a woman, since they clearly made an effort to hire one. That said, I very much wanted them to hire a woman, and I'm not remotely ashamed to say so.

In theory, no one has a problem with a best-person-for-the-job approach to hiring, but it's just curious that in the late-night talk show sphere, the best person for the job never seems to be a woman.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Knowing that CC offered the job to Poehler and Schumer and got turned down by both of them makes me okay with the fact that they ultimately didn't hire a woman, since they clearly made an effort to hire one. That said, I very much wanted them to hire a woman, and I'm not remotely ashamed to say so.

In theory, no one has a problem with a best-person-for-the-job approach to hiring, but it's just curious that in the late-night talk show sphere, the best person for the job never seems to be a woman.
This is a problem not just in late night talk shows but across every profession in America. It has to do with the small talent pool of women cross checked against requirements of a job. Its the same reason why your plumber and cardiologist is also probably a male and so is the Comcast guy that comes to fix your cable box. We can name a dozen male candidates for TDS but only 3 or 4 female ones.

Its a systemic issue and just like you dont want a token female cardiologist for the sake of diversity, you dont want a token female talk show host either.

This is a problem not just in late night talk shows but across every profession in America. It has to do with the small talent pool of women cross checked against requirements of a job. Its the same reason why your plumber and cardiologist is also probably a male and so is the Comcast guy that comes to fix your cable box. We can name a dozen male candidates for TDS but only 3 or 4 female ones.

Its a systemic issue and just like you dont want a token female cardiologist for the sake of diversity, you dont want a token female talk show host either.

Nobody wants a token female late-night talk show host, but there's no reason for there to be a token female late-night show host because there are many women capable of being one.

I'm not doubting that women are outnumbered by men in comedy. Not at all. But it's not like there are absolutely no women in comedy capable of hosting a late-night show. Don't tell me there weren't women more qualified than James Corden to take over Ferguson's spot. I refuse to believe it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mike Pence is such a goober.

"It's all you people in the media's fault for claiming that my bill allows for discrimination, even though it absolutely, totally, 100% doesn't. Which is why I'm calling on the legislature to fix the bill that clearly doesn't need fixing cause it was never supposed to do what everyone's claiming it does!"

"It's all you people in the media's fault for claiming that my bill allows for discrimination, even though it absolutely, totally, 100% doesn't. Which is why I'm calling on the legislature to fix the bill that clearly doesn't need fixing cause it was never supposed to do what everyone's claiming it does!"
Screw that, REPEAL AND REPLACE

Ecotic

In regards to Loretta Lynch, if Menendez abstains, or one more Republican switches to no, or months drag on and she withdraws, would Obama nominate anyone else or just let Holder stay until the end?

Is it a fix or a clarification? Interestingly Tony Perkins and the FRC supports clarifying the law as not giving anyone the right to discriminate against people.

Is it a fix or a clarification? Interestingly Tony Perkins and the FRC supports clarifying the law as not giving anyone the right to discriminate against people.

He's for clarifying it to be used to deny gays and lesbians their cakes and flowers
The government shouldn't force religious businesses and churches to participate in wedding ceremonies contrary to their owners' beliefs. If the government punishes people for living their faith, there are no limits to what government can control. We want to be sure that the measure proposed by the governor isn't used as a weapon to impose punishing fines on people like florist Barronelle Stutzman, bakers Aaron and Melissa Klein, and wedding photographer Elaine Huguenin.

Indiana has been the target of misinformation, and bullying in both the media and online, simply for joining 19 other states in aligning themselves with federal religious freedom law. What is unfolding in Indiana reveals the source of true intolerance: those who want the government to punish people for freely living according to their beliefs.

NeoXChaos

Florida

Bush: 45%
Clinton: 42%

Rubio: 44%
Clinton: 46%

Paul: 43%

Christie: 39%
Clinton: 44%

Huckabee: 40%
Clinton: 48%

Walker: 40%

Cruz: 39%

Ohio

Paul: 41%

Clinton: 47%
Bush: 38%

Clinton: 45%
Christie: 39%

Clinton: 49%
Huckabee: 39%

Rubio: 38%

Clinton: 49%
Walker: 38%

Cruz: 38%

Pennsylvania

Paul: 45%
Clinton: 44%

Christie: 40%
Clinton: 45%

Bush: 40%

Huckabee: 41%

Rubio: 42%

Walker: 41%

Cruz: 39%

These polls are junk.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I have to say, I'm legit surprised at the blowback Pence has been getting for this. Yes, the gays have become more tolerable over the years, but to see so many major businesses outright expressing their disapproval and many others suggesting boycotts, well that's way more of a reaction than I would have expected.

Faith in Amurka getting slightly restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom