• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll vote for Catherine Cortez.

I really just want Nevadans to have the conversation of Yucca Mountain for nuclear waste storage (or preferable, nuclear waste recycling). Nevada is in a very rare opportunity to be one of the tech capitols of the world, and not just in science fictions stories like District Three in the Hunger Games.

Even if it takes some kind of "Nuclear Dividend" like Alaska's "Oil Dividend."

“A few months ago, people I speak to thought Jeb Bush was the guy. That’s changed,” said Morton A. Klein, president of the Zionist Organization of America, a conservative pro-Israel organization.

fuck these people. jesus christ

NeoXChaos

Duckworth to announce Senate bid

FL - Murphy
OH - Strickland
IL - Duckworth
PA - Sestak

Then we just need

WI - Feingold
NH - Hassan
NC - Hagan? Could probably get someone better. But I kind of want her to come back and win because PD
IN - Bayh
AZ - Sinema

And we get my dream team.

Along with Edwards (MD), Harris (CA) and Cortez Masto (NV) in open Dem-held seats.

And then just hoping Isakson (GA) and Grassley (IA) retire.

Grassley wont retire. He is a lifer. The guy has been an elected official for all of his adult life since the age of 26.

Charles Ernest "Chuck" Grassley (born September 17, 1933) is the senior United States Senator from Iowa, serving since 1981. A member of the Republican Party, he previously served in the United States House of Representatives (1975–1981) and the Iowa state legislature (1959–1974). He was chairman of the Senate Finance Committee from January to June 2001 and from January 2003 to December 2006. Senator Grassley is the current chairman of the Judiciary Committee of the 114th congress.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/28/u...ary-clinton-emails-on-server-lawyer-says.html
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/gowdy-clinton-wiped-her-server-clean-116472.html
WASHINGTON — An examination of the server that housed the personal email account that Hillary Rodham Clinton used exclusively when she was secretary of state showed that there are no copies of any emails she sent during her time in office, her lawyer told a congressional committee on Friday.

After her representatives determined which emails were government-related and which were private, a setting on the account was changed to retain only emails sent in the previous 60 days, her lawyer, David Kendall, said. He said the setting was altered after she gave the records to the government.

“Thus, there are no hdr22@clintonemail.com emails from Secretary Clinton’s tenure as secretary of state on the server for any review, even if such review were appropriate or legally authorized,” Mr. Kendall said in a letter to the House select committee investigating the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya.
“While it is not clear precisely when Secretary Clinton decided to permanently delete all emails from her server, it appears she made the decision after October 28, 2014, when the Department of State for the first time asked the Secretary to return her public record to the Department,” Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), chairman of the Select Committee on Benghazi, said in a statement.

Gowdy said that Clinton’s response to the subpoena means he and Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) will now contemplate new legal actions against Clinton.

“After seeking and receiving a two week extension from the Committee, Secretary Clinton failed to provide a single new document to the subpoena issued by the Committee and refused to provide her private server to the Inspector General for the State Department or any other independent arbiter for analysis,” Gowdy said.

The broad subpoena from Gowdy included any emails relating to Libya, weapons located in the country, the Benghazi attacks and administration statements following the attacks on the compound.
Here, let me revive a whole bunch of negative stories about myself for you!

benjipwns

Banned
Nobody might be interested in this but I thought it could be a fun little timewaster. And I'd be interested in seeing some of your guys.

We'll use the candidates listed on here EXCEPT Vermin Supreme since he's an obvious choice to win everything:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_candidates,_2016
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_candidates,_2016

You can definitely use anyone with a picture, and I suppose the "Previous" candidates if you want, but not the "Declined" candidates at all.

You're picking the President, not just the nominee.

Which Republican President would you want with a GOP Congress? Which with a Democratic Congress?
Which Democratic President would you want with a Democratic Congress? Which with a GOP Congress?

Mine are kind of boring and obvious and I'll stick to the pictured candidates but I'll run with Rand Paul for the GOP, both Congresses (ideally a Democratic one) and even though he's really an independent Bernie Sanders for the Democrats with a GOP Congress and I'm leaning Dean/Wyden/Warner with a Dem Congress but ultimately I think Sanders as President might be worth it alone.

And just for fun I'll add two "absolutely not under any circumstances" answers because this is actually an infinitely harder question as there's so many choices: Lindsey Graham for the GOP and Janet Napolitano for the Democrats. I'll award second place to Peter King and Andrew Cuomo.

I can't believe I'm taking Santorum (and some others) over those two. I just...his crying daughter from 2006 has just grown up so well, there that's a valid reason right? Maybe I can convince myself he'll waste his time on social issues that go nowhere.

benjipwns

Banned
And...here we go:
Marco Rubio has reserved the Freedom Tower in downtown Miami for an undisclosed event April 13, which appears to be a potential, if not likely, spot for Florida’s junior senator to announce his candidacy for president.

A Rubio adviser stressed nothing has been nailed down for any kind of announcement, but the timing makes sense: Likely presidential candidate Rand Paul is expected to make things official April 7, followed by a five-day, five-state announcement tour, so Rubio presumably would not want to share the spotlight during that period.

Ecotic

imokwiththis.gif

Would get so rekt by Clinton/Castro.

As much sense as this seems to make, can anyone else see Hillary not picking Castro because she doesn't want to be upstaged? Especially if she feels she's not in danger of losing. Castro represents everything that undid her in 2008, and you'd have a lot of the base wishing the nominee would be him. It really wouldn't surprise me if she went with an older, boring, and loyal family friend.

Snake

As much sense as this seems to make, can anyone else see Hillary not picking Castro because she doesn't want to be upstaged? Especially if she feels she's not in danger of losing. Castro represents everything that undid her in 2008, and you'd have a lot of the base wishing the nominee would be him. It really wouldn't surprise me if she went with an older, boring, and loyal family friend.

I don't see how this would be the case since, in my estimation, Julian Castro does not have even remotely the same political presence, connections, and charisma that Barack Obama had in 2008. Maybe I'm out of touch with the current political scene, but I don't feel like Castro is on anyone's map outside of the possible VP pick. The way he was presented in the 2012 DNC was an attempt to "recreate the magic" of Obama at the '04 DNC, but I don't think it was very successful and much of the political coverage since has felt very forced.

Grover Norquist is married to a devout Muslim and may have converted to Islam himself? What an amazing story, I can't believe I hand't heard this before.
Where did you read that? I think he is married to a Muslim but is not one himself. Conspiracy theorists that don't like him often like to say he converted.

I don't know what religion he follows other than 'be an asshole'.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Welp, another day in Obama's America:

Zelda will not be shown at E3 this year.

skYOFwB.gif

Teggy

Where did you read that? I think he is married to a Muslim but is not one himself. Conspiracy theorists that don't like him often like to say he converted.

I don't know what religion he follows other than 'be an asshole'.

There was an article on TPM about his interview with Glenn Beck. Supposedly when asked at other times if he had converted, his response has been, "that's personal." There's no concrete evidence it seems though.

I was mostly interested in the story as evidence of how screwed up the Republican Party is. They are so consumed by trying to prove who's the most conservative that they'll even beat up on a guy who is pretty much responsible for their stubbornness on taxes, which has been a key part of their platform for the past 6 years.

HylianTom

Banned
Seems pretty likely that, one way or another, someone from Florida will be on the GOP ticket. And even with someone on the ticket, they'll still be forced to spend a ton of money on their must-win state.

Welp, another day in Obama's America:

Zelda will not be shown at E3 this year.

skYOFwB.gif

I'm pretty calm about Zelda's delay - gives me enough time now to play through the entire series before the release of the Zelda U. I love this.

This announcement also resolves my June vacation problem:
I wanted to take most of E3 week off. But I also wanted to take off from work for the final week of the month, when the big SCOTUS decisions are more likely to be released. Taking that much vacation time would've been untenable. Problem solved.

*snip*

And now this. This has been fascinating to watch.
http://www.indystar.com/story/opini...clarification-religious-freedom-law/70611906/

Swarens: Gov. Mike Pence to push for clarification of ‘religious freedom’ law

Gov. Mike Pence, scorched by a fast-spreading political firestorm, told The Star on Saturday that he will support the introduction of legislation to “clarify” that Indiana’s controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act does not promote discrimination against gays and lesbians.

“I support religious liberty, and I support this law,” Pence said in an exclusive interview. “But we are in discussions with legislative leaders this weekend to see if there’s a way to clarify the intent of the law.”

The governor, although not ready to provide details on what the new bill will say, said he expects the legislation to be introduced into the General Assembly this coming week.
Asked if that legislation might include making gay and lesbian Hoosiers a protected legal class, Pence said, “That’s not on my agenda.”

Amid the deepest crisis of his political career, Pence said repeatedly that the intense blowback against the new law is the result of a “misunderstanding driven by misinformation.”

thefro

Well, Pence stepped in it on "This Week" on ABC and basically fired up the controversy again.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/indi...rsial-religious-freedom-law/story?id=29985752

Won't answer yes or no question on whether this will allow businesses to deny services to gay couples, says he won't push for legislation to add LBGT as protected class from discrimination. "We're not going to change this law". Won't answer whether it should be legal for people to discriminate against gays & lesbians in Indiana.

Owzers

Well, Pence stepped in it on "This Week" on ABC and basically fired up the controversy again.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/indi...rsial-religious-freedom-law/story?id=29985752

Won't answer yes or no question on whether this will allow businesses to deny services to gay couples, says he won't push for legislation to add LBGT as protected class from discrimination. "We're not going to change this law". Won't answer whether it should be legal for people to discriminate against gays & lesbians in Indiana.
You're sounding intolerant, and I'm really disappointed in you. I will not stand for this shameless linking of videos to disparage the good people of Indiana.

I'm not 100% convinced the law discriminates, given that it focuses on government interference - not person to person (or business to business) interactions. The language mirrors that of nearly 20 states with the same law, and most of those states don't protect gays & lesbians under civil rights legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom