• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konka

Banned
Many people don't proactively educate themselves. In this case, if their ignorance can result in a misrepresentation of a representative democracy, then I believe informing them on what they're voting for should be mandatory. It doesn't guarantee a true representative democracy, but I think it would get us closer to having one.

Also, there are already qualification requirements that could potentially prevent citizens from voting: Needing to be 18 years of age, and needing to be a resident of your precinct at least 30 days before election day. Add 'sat in voting class for 4-6 hours' to the list.

Jesus man...

Jeb and Scott Walker are bullies backed by people that wanted to see them bully women and they spent their entire campaigns getting their heads shoved in toilets by Trump.

That's kind of poetic justice.

Looks like Jeb! is setting up an exit strategy.

CSGGJqcWoAAKkxc.jpg

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/657954623202963456
Amazing. It's rare you see full meltdown from a candidate.

Jeb! the word is "nominate." I can assure you there's no way in hell your country is electing Trump.

My God, Jeb is getting fucking savaged:

More Trump on Jeb: "Bush has no money. He's meeting today with mommy and daddy and they're working on their campaign."

Jeb is an awful person who deserves all of this, just wish it could have come from a better person than Trump.

What the fuck at someone actually advocating literacy tests ITT. What. The. Fuck. I see others have already taken him to task for that so i won't bother piling on.

Didn't realize i needed the consent of Clinton voters to vote for who i want, but thanks? I guess this type of condescending attitude is at least an improvement from accusing me of being an ignorant, diet racist, Ron Paul supporter who never votes and is going to ruin the election :p

Please go look at the "literacy tests" the South used to disenfranchise black voters. It's impossible to answer them correctly because they are worded intentionally to allow the tester to disqualify the voter even if they supply a correct answer.

No need to deal in absolutes. I do not support the literacy tests conducted by the Southern states. If you want to know what I'm arguing for, you're welcome to actually read my posts.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jeb isn't going anywhere, lol. Why would he? Why would Jindal and Huckabee be able to stay in the race and Jeb not? It makes no sense to drop out now before the establishment coalesces around a candidate. I think you people are crazy and or plants from the broken Democrat party which is far worse under Obama than anyone else.

NeoXChaos

Why would Jeb dropout before the likes of Jindal, Graham and Paul who are in much worse shape than he is?

You guys need to calm down with the Jeb is doomed phenomenon.

Tarkus

Jeb is an awful person who deserves all of this, just wish it could have come from a better person than Trump.
A man like Jeb! can only take getting rekt so much. He can't even manage his own campaign. How could he run the country? Get fucked Jeb!.

But that's the thing. In a way Trump is the perfect candidate to plant that seed of establishment takedown. If a democrat had said it, or someone like Kasich, it would be dismissed as whining and sour grapes. Trump is just the right monster you need to slay the mighty dragon. Any lesser being will get burnt and buried.

Cheebo

Banned
No need to deal in absolutes. I do not support the literacy tests conducted by the Southern states. If you want to know what I'm arguing for, you're welcome to actually read my posts.

You are advocating people having to take a 4-6 hour class. Which is WORSE than a literacy test. Most people who don't already care about politics would just choose not to vote.

People don't not owe themselves nor the country to be informed. People have the right to vote based on whatever reason they want to, informed or otherwise. If people want to vote for Trump because he has a cool trucker hat and don't know his policies that is their right. And their right to vote in this way is just as worthy as you voting Bernie based on his policies. That is how democracy works.

It's important that Sanders is running. But I also wish he was black, female, 20 years younger and running in 2024. Identity politics is a real thing and I think we need to wait until the current generation has aged up a bit before America as a whole could comfortably elect someone with his views.

I'd bet on first openly gay white prez before first black woman.

Jeb isn't going anywhere, lol. Why would he? Why would Jindal and Huckabee be able to stay in the race and Jeb not? It makes no sense to drop out now before the establishment coalesces around a candidate. I think you people are crazy and or plants from the broken Democrat party which is far worse under Obama than anyone else.

Jindal and Huckabee aren't making a legitimate run for president. Jeb! is.

They can cruise along at 2% or whatever for as long as their funds allow it, because any exposure is good for them when they eventually turn into fox news pundits or sell books. Jeb! isn't in that boat. Like Walker he'll simply leave the race when commander in chief is no longer a viable option.

Gotchaye

Having female presidents isn't inherently better if the candidates or presidents aren't good.

I'm not sure who's saying this, though. Chichikov was explicit that he wouldn't vote for just any female candidate and he made an analogy to affirmative action. Earlier, Icarus expressed a desire for a female president who was not stupid or evil.

I think that clearly the idea here is that the symbolism of having a woman in the office is worth something, but not everything, regardless of the candidate's positions or qualifications. All else equal, vote for the woman, and even vote for the woman when all else doesn't look quite equal. But not "vote for a woman no matter what". Again, no one's seriously considering supporting Fiorina if Clinton gets thrown in jail.

And... clearly the symbolism matters. How much it matters and how much it ought to matter are open questions, but especially given what we saw after Obama's election it's hard to say there's nothing there. You can think that we ought to elect the person whose presidency will be as good for the country as possible (I think most people think this) while also thinking that this symbolic value should count towards that.

Makai

It was a town hall and I missed it! Where do you guys go to find the campaign schedules? I'm in the heart of the primary battleground and I find out about every stop after they happen.

KingK

I'm voting for Bernie but with the acknowledgment that Hillary as the GE candidate would probably produce a stronger win in the electoral college as well as in downballot races. The main thing is that Sanders more closely aligns with my views (albeit not by much), I still think he could win and frankly if Clinton couldn't beat him in the primary that would demonstrate that she's not a very good candidate.

It's important that Sanders is running. But I also wish he was black, female, 20 years younger and running in 2024. Identity politics is a real thing and I think we need to wait until the current generation has aged up a bit before America as a whole could comfortably elect someone with his views.

I agree with all of this. Barring some big Clinton scandal or health issue i expect to be voting for her in the general. I was just poking fun at the attitudes some of GAF has towards anyone who doesn't pick Clinton as a first choice.

Honestly i wish she had a more viable challenger from the left mostly because her foreign policy legitimately scares me. Obama has already been a bit too hawkish for my taste, but not that bad. I fear Hillary would push for a lot more intervention and use of force than Obama has, and her campaign has even signaled as much. How genuine she is with regards to domestic policy goals she's flip flopped on is largely irrelevant considering i expect republicans to control congress for nearly all of her presidency anyway.

User1608

Banned
Jeb and Scott Walker are bullies backed by people that wanted to see them bully women and they spent their entire campaigns getting their heads shoved in toilets by Trump.

That's kind of poetic justice.
Gotta love how a lower tier billionaire is outflanking a pair of super billionaires so far. Pretty hilarious.

Cheebo

Banned
It was a town hall and I missed it! Where do you guys go to find the campaign schedules? I'm in the heart of the primary battleground and I find out about every stop after they happen.

Isn't this stuff usually on the candidates websites?

120v

i don't think jeb would downsize his operations if he were going to drop out soon. he'd just simply drop out

i think the campaign has more mileage than the current narrative is letting on but it's looking increasingly likely he'll have to bow out to make things easier for rubio, at some point. unless things really turn around

I'm voting for Bernie but with the acknowledgment that Hillary as the GE candidate would probably produce a stronger win in the electoral college as well as in downballot races. The main thing is that Sanders more closely aligns with my views (albeit not by much), I still think he could win and frankly if Clinton couldn't beat him in the primary that would demonstrate that she's not a very good candidate.

Looking forward to the first president that's part of Generation X. I want our version of Trudeau, and a Democratic wave that gives us a majority in both houses. Hopefully next decade.

Iolo

Why would Jeb dropout before the likes of Jindal, Graham and Paul who are in much worse shape than he is?

You guys need to calm down with the Jeb is doomed phenomenon.

I think he stays in until at least the SEC primary. The presidency is the most powerful position in the world and an ambitious person would be nuts to just give up (Walker and Perry were in heavy debt with no possibility of recovery). Unless he has an emotional meltdown.

Y2Kev

Jindal and Huckabee aren't making a legitimate run for president. Jeb! is.

They can cruise along at 2% or whatever for as long as their funds allow it, because any exposure is good for them when they eventually turn into fox news pundits or sell books. Jeb! isn't in that boat. Like Walker he'll simply leave the race when commander in chief is no longer a viable option.

Why can't Jeb stay in to sell books or become a pundit? Unlike Walker, Jeb is 900 years old and is done after this.

i don't think jeb would downsize his operations if he were going to drop out soon. he'd just simply drop out

i think the campaign has more mileage than the current narrative is letting on but it's looking increasingly likely he'll have to bow out for to make things easier for rubio, at some point. unless things really turn around

on the contrary, I think his campaign is in worse shape than his poll numbers let on.

Bush has been spending a lot of money on television, and a lot of money on the ground game in early primary states and its been completely ineffective.

the entire argument for voting for him was that he had a lot of PAC money and was inevitable, so you might as well vote for him anyway. What happens when that money isn't there anymore? which it pretty much isnt?

There is no plausible way for Jeb! to turn this around without one of the frontrunners making an unforced error- and unfortunately for Jeb! both Trump AND carson have such high "second choice" numbers that cross over between each other that one dropping out will make the other one unstoppable.

it's over for that campaign.

Why can't Jeb stay in to sell books or become a pundit? Unlike Walker, Jeb is 900 years old and is done after this.

doesn't need to- already considerably wealthy. It also doesn't seem to fit his personality. He went completely underground after his tenure as governor. If he was into stroking his ego by keeping his face on fox news, he would already have done it.

one can also consider the family may want to avoid any more long term damage being done to the bush name- there are others (George Prescott) that could potentially run for office in a cycle or two.

Y2Kev

Make sure you sign Hillary's birthday card!

I don't know why Christie wouldn't drop out before Jeb, considering Christie is younger and is still ambitious. But I think it's too early for serious players to drop out. They'll just scale back and wait for a clusterfuck.

Walker had no support because he was an idiot.

This is semantics and nothing more.

no, you just support tests with the same practical effect, because that's so different

I think I've done a pretty good job in distinguishing my ideas from a system by which it would be impossible for minorities to vote.

If you can't understand that, I can't help you.

Yeah, the comparisons to literacy tests are unfair. He's advocating for a new type of democracy.

Cute.

You are advocating people having to take a 4-6 hour class. Which is WORSE than a literacy test. Most people who don't already care about politics would just choose not to vote.

People don't not owe themselves nor the country to be informed. People have the right to vote based on whatever reason they want to, informed or otherwise. If people want to vote for Trump because he has a cool trucker hat and don't know his policies that is their right. And their right to vote in this way is just as worthy as you voting Bernie based on his policies. That is how democracy works.

No amount of mental gymnastics can prove that requiring people to take a class and requiring people to take a test that's impossible to pass are effectively the same thing, or better yet, that the former is actually worse in practice than the latter.

Anyway, our country is based on a representative democracy. The reason for this is that the population of American citizens is fucking huge and it would be impossible to have a direct democracy. However, the goal of a representative democracy is to effectively achieve the same thing that a direct democracy is able to achieve, but with a massive population.

In a direct democracy, the citizens themselves vote on policies and legislation directly. Since that is not possible in a country as big as the United States, a representative democracy takes its place in an attempt to elect officials who can make these decisions on the behalf of its citizens. That is the entire point of a representative democracy.

So, if there are significant votes that do not serve the purpose of a representative democracy, then it would be in the nation's best interest (as a nation that's governed by representative democracy) to have measures in place that ensure that a representative democracy preserves its purpose.

Given what I've laid out here, I don't think anyone who actually understands this can say with a straight face that I'm advocating for the literacy tests of the south. I want the voters to be informed because it increases the likelihood of the representative democracy doing its job, not because I want people to agree with me.

one can also consider the family may want to avoid any more long term damage being done to the bush name- there are others (George Prescott) that could potentially run for office in a cycle or two.

Is George P the Latino Bush?

And boy does that family love to hold onto names. There are more than a few Georges, Prescotts, Herberts, and Walkers in there.

Plumbob

I actually agree with brainchild here.

I think we should implement tests for whether you get to vote.

Now some may ask, who decides what questions are on the test? And I agree that is a valid question. So we should elect a representative to design the test.

But when the representative gets elected, he may bias the questions to make sure he gets reelected. Fair, so we have to screen the people who are voting on the representative.

Well let's make a second test, but who will design it? Well we could have the supreme court design it because they don't need to get reelected. But then what if the questions they decide on are biased? Well we better appoint better justices next time, I guess. Huh.

But weren't literacy and civic knowledge tests used to disenfranchise black voters for decades? Don't worry, we can make them impartial this time. Just let me think of a way...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom