• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't going to have an effect on Hillary winning the general unless she has to go the left of Bernie on Israel to win over college kids (and that shit ain't happening).
What is Bernie's stance on Israel anyways? I haven't found anything concrete but I have seen that some people were protesting his rallies.

I'm assuming he's like most US politicians on Israel. Nonsensical.

Stray thought, I'm actually genuinely kind of curious whether people pointing out to ____ group a that a candidate is better for ___ group because loooook, are actually part of said group.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm assuming he's like most US politicians on Israel. Nonsensical.

Stray thought, I'm actually genuinely kind of curious whether people pointing out to ____ group a that a candidate is better for ___ group, are actually part of said group.

He's a little worse than Obama on Israel, but better than the GOP.

benjipwns

Banned
That was informative.. Thank you Benji. I needed a refresher. The only anarchists we talked about in depth was really Goldman and only briefly talked about Kropotkin and Bakunin.
Marx had Bakunin kicked out of the First International because Mikhail laid such a beatdown on Marx's authoritarianism.

Lol @ the Superdelegate whining about Hillary's August trip to the Hamptons.

Really though, the Dem struggle is real. This isn't 2008. We can't afford to drag this out. The GOP is much more competetive this time around.

Maybe I'm anti-diablos, but I don't see Trump or Cruz (the only two with a shot at the nomination) as being more competitive than John McCain. They are both poison to hispanic, black and female voters.

Diablos

Maybe I'm anti-diablos, but I don't see Trump or Cruz (the only two with a shot at the nomination) as being more competitive than John McCain. They are both poison to hispanic, black and female voters.
They will crush Bernie SANDUHS in the GE.

Btw I got an 89 on the millennial quiz. Born in 1983. Whatever.

benjipwns

Banned
hold up there buddy:
“He’s a masculine figure and that will attract women to him,” said Nunberg. “It’s their dirty little secret. They like Donald Trump.”

daedalius

Sighted first Facebook article talking about how Bern has no states in the bag in the near future.

"The long road ahead for Bernie sanders!"

Foreign aid proposals in State Dept budget: Israel $3.1 billion, Iraq $1.8 billion, Egypt $1.5 billion, Jordan $1 billion

Well, I would like to spend all of that money on mosquito nets instead, but I guess giving Sisi $1.5B for him to use on torturing his own citizens is an idea.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ca5aQONWAAEaEfB.jpg

How do we whites talk to black women????

Could you imagine if a Hill PAC did this?

User 406

Banned
Tinkering with the quiz, it's interesting how different answers will move the dial tremendously under some circumstances, but barely give you a point in others. Apparently being obsessed with a high powered career means that racism about interracial relationships only swings you 3 points, but if you don't care about your career at all, that same racism can swing you 9 points. And of course texting can get you 28 points, but only if you don't have a tattoo!

I think this quiz is more interesting if you treat it as a puzzle to figure out what kind of fucked up heuristics they use.

I was thinking about who Bloomberg would pull more votes from, and I think there's a case to be made that he's actually a bigger problem for Donald. I was watching voters being interviewed in New Hampshire and I kept noticing the phrase "this country needs to be run like a business." For voters who buy into that line of thinking (voters who almost exclusively support Donald Trump), I could see Bloomberg offering a more compelling appeal to Trump's base than he does to Bernie's.

benjipwns

Banned
I was thinking about who Bloomberg would pull more votes from, and I think there's a case to be made that he's actually a bigger problem for Donald. I was watching voters being interviewed in New Hampshire and I kept noticing the phrase "this country needs to be run like a business." For voters who buy into that line of thinking (voters who almost exclusively support Donald Trump), I could see Bloomberg offering a more compelling appeal to Trump's base than he does to Bernie's.
I don't think Michael Bloomberg is going to be stealing much of Donald Trump's base.

damisa

Bloomberg
- is pro gay marriage (supported it in 2007, 2 years before Bernie)
- is pro choice
- is more to the left than Bernie and Hillary on guns
- wants to normalize status of law-abiding illegal immigrants, he told a U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee hearing in 2006 that border control is as futile as trying to “sit on the beach and tell the tide not to come in.”
- supports progressive taxation
- won’t do Muslim bashing to win votes. When a group of Muslims wanted to build a mosque near Ground Zero, Bloomberg said, “Muslims are as much a part of our city and our country as the people of any faith.”

Yoda

I don't think Michael Bloomberg is going to be stealing much of Donald Trump's base.

I'm going to second this; the people that do know him view him as either:

A) Has a spine on the topic on gun-control

B) A Nanny-state control freak

That disqualifies him from the overwhelming majority of republicans. The fact he is literally from Wall St. will kill his chances with more Dems (but not all). If he joins, he'll hurt whoever the democrat is.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Bloomberg tends to be a bit too Authoritarian for my tastes.

Legislating the size of someones soda is less effective then taxing soda more.

I don't think anyone will have a majority of the delegates when we go to the Republican National convention. What are the odds we will have a brokered convention where the party goes around Trump to nominate someone else? Someone like Jeb could be in third place in delegates and be in a king maker situation where he gets to choose between Trump or Cruz. Will be interesting in the end. I could see Trump going third party if he gets cut out in a scenario like this.

I don't think anyone will have a majority of the delegates when we go to the Republican National convention. What are the odds we will have a brokered convention where the party goes around Trump to nominate someone else? Someone like Jeb could be in third place in delegates and be in a king maker situation where he gets to choose between Trump or Cruz. Will be interesting in the end. I could see Trump going third party if he gets cut out in a scenario like this.

The Greatest Deal Maker on Earth will not lose a brokered convention though.

The Greatest Deal Maker on Earth will not lose a brokered convention though.
Exactly. These west and northern states are going to be a bloodbath in the primary, it's not going to come to it. I'm just worried about the debate this Saturday. I think Cruz is going to make a move there since he is a skilled debater. Rubio's going to be all "Come with me if you want to live" but he won't go after Trump.

Exactly. These west and northern states are going to be a bloodbath in the primary, it's not going to come to it. I'm just worried about the debate this Saturday. I think Cruz is going to make a move there since he is a skilled debater. Rubio's going to be all "Come with me if you want to live" but he won't go after Trump.

I'm just excited to hear more about discussion about eminent domain; an issue that no one other than benji cares about right now.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm just excited to hear more about discussion about eminent domain; an issue that no one other than benji cares about right now.
Rush Limbaugh came out in favor of it and Trump's position. And exposed Cruz's uninformed (never having run a business) attack as part of the liberal anti-business playbook.

Good article for political junkies interested in looking inside the doomed Christie campaign
On paper, it was perfect: First, Christie would use his deep connections to popular Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad to harness a better-than-terrible showing in Iowa. Then, he would go back to New Hampshire, where his campaign and its supporting super PAC had invested a majority of their resources in on-the-the ground work and television advertising to turn flagging favorability ratings upside down. Finally, he'd have a big debate night, and close the deal with the historically (and frustratingly) late-deciding voters in the state.
By mid-January, it all seemed to be working. Christie's approval ratings had jumped as many as 20 points in Granite State polls. His town halls became events in themselves -- each bigger than the next. His campaign and supporting super PAC saw the events register so well that they became the basis of many of their television ads -- a straight-talking governor with real experience, who had notched a sweeping re-election victory in a traditionally Democrat-leaning state.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm going to go with this as my favorite quote from that:
Rubio himself started reading, theatrically from a piece of paper pulled from his pocket, Christie's press release that appeared to make it look like he supported President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nomination of Sonia Sotomayor.
Story completely skips the year where Christie went from a frontrunner to beached campaign before the debates though.

Christie had a good idea that he'd pulled off what he pledged to do at Saturday night's debate, but he wasn't sure. It was none other than Donald Trump who confirmed what Christie thought during the first commercial break. "Wow. That was tremendous," Trump said, grabbing Christie's arm, according to a source familiar with the exchange. His next stop was a check-in with his wife, Mary Pat, standing off the stage. She echoed Trump's analysis.
I'd have loved to see everyone's expression during that commercial break.

benjipwns

Banned
Webb is definitely not perfect on the issue; he’s given cringeworthy statements on Black Lives Matter, affirmative action and the Confederate flag. He also tends to discuss criminal justice in non-racial terms. But he has at least taken prominent stands to recognize African American veterans and is married to a person of color.
Well then, problem solved.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
On a cool note; my brother and my dad got to say hi to Obama when he stopped by Springfield. (They took my invite, lol). Speech Obama gave back home was good. I appreciate that he came back (the state has issues, lol) and he gave a good speech about working together and fixing obvious problems. Dad said he looked way happier back here than he has recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom