• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Oh.

Apparently Trump's son has stated waterboarding is no different than college hazing.

Oh.
k8PBXVF.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
TrumpMask.jpg

There have been a handful of folks with Trump masks today along the parade route; this one has to be my favorite.

At this point, my body is composed of two parts king cake, two parts fried food, and one part alcohol. Might need a Red Bull or four if I'm going to stay up tonight..

Edit:

also:

TwoCorinthians.jpg

Oh.

Apparently Trump's son has stated waterboarding is no different than college hazing.

Oh.

He must be a Rush Limbaugh fan.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2004/08/05/limbaugh-back-to-labeling-abu-ghraib-prisoner-a/131597

On the August 4 [2004] edition of the nationally syndicated Rush Limbaugh Show, Limbaugh said that England and the other accused soldiers were engaging in acts that were "sort of like hazing, a fraternity prank. Sort of like that kind of fun."

How big of a tantrum will Trump throw if he gets second place to Kasich? I know the odds are low but it could happen and I doubt he'd take it very well.

Hasn't every generation graduated with student debt? I mean Obama paid off his debt a year or two before running for office.
Not as much debt and not with so few employment opportunities in the past.

I was paying down my art and massage therapy school debts for years, but I worked very low paying jobs and didn't choose well.

My RN school debts were paid quickly (although I have a Michigan-specific Lon I'm still paying because I never worked in Michigan). Then again, it's gotten harder even for new RN school grads to get jobs. Graduates from California usually have to work in another state to get enough experience to go back to the state and work there.

The entance polls said that, but we dont have official results.

All I have seen is that Sanders won 15 out of 20 highly hispanic precincts.

Still, he lost the non-white vote 34 to 54% which is not a terrible number consider that he still has room to grow. We will see after Nevada.

It is terrible if he couldn't win a demo he needs to win in a place where it is extremely liberal and he had tons of exposure. If in SC he closes the gap to high 30s or lows 40s for minorities, but Hillary ultimately wins. That is still very bad because only in a three days later 10 plus states will vote at the same time and after a few more days later a few more states, it is extremely unlikely that whatever narrative that will be pushed after SC won't effect anything because it is only in a short time that Super Tuesday states and some of the other later states will cast their vote.

If Sanders has a shot he's going to need states like WV. They've been really beat down by the decline of coal and could be receptive to the anti-capitalist message.

As someone originally from WV, I can assure you they almost unanimously blame the EPA and Obama, not capitalism. WV quite possibly has the dumbest state legislature in the entire country as well. They had a water contamination problem that was more widespread than Flint's just a couple years ago and to my knowledge nothing happened. No amount of evidence to the contrary deters them from the merits of deregulation and small govt. They're poised to start drug testing welfare recipients because apparently their state senators take policy cues from memes sent by their aunts. It is infuriating how much my home state is killing itself due to sheer ignorance on what works and what doesn't. They also passed right-to-work bills recently, with one state senator calling union members "free loaders" to their faces.

I'm disappointed in a few college professors (non-tenured) I know who have become Bernie Bros.

Posting regular attacks on Clinton. Ignoring anything anti-Bernie. Talking about how they are "moderate" voters who are best represented by Bernie.

I now understand why they never got tenure.

Hindl

O'Reilly spittin truth on Colbert, surprisingly

"Trump and Bernie both promise things that are impossible, but their supporters just don't care."
O'Reilly is a sharp guy, he knows his stuff. He just usually makes the wrong conclusions from that information

Gruco

Banned
The winner of the NH primary will be a hard core populist who only recently joined their party. This person will be loved primarily for offering simple soundbites of hilariously unrealistic policy proposals. Their supporters, who are often only marginally attached to politics, will love them for their nonsense. They (the supporters) find it more important that someone tells them what they want to hear than says something realistic. This candidate (the NH primary winner) causes chaos in their new party by dragging the other candidate(s) towards their absurd positions, and will make the general election more challenging for the eventual winner.

I'm disappointed in a few college professors (non-tenured) I know who have become Bernie Bros.

Posting regular attacks on Clinton. Ignoring anything anti-Bernie. Talking about how they are "moderate" voters who are best represented by Bernie.

I now understand why they never got tenure.
So bitter that I grimaced reading this.

NH primary day.

Being blindsided sucks, and we were definitely blindsided in 08. I remember a lot of people thinking a commanding win, which the polls suggested was possible, would essentially hand us the nomination early and we'd be able to coast to the convention. Personally I never thought that, given the Clinton machine and the various things I had seen from them, but I definitely thought Obama would "probably" be the nominee if he won NH.

However things began to turn as results came in and we noticed we were under performing in multiple districts. Exit poll conversations showed that many voters were upset at how the media had treated Hillary, and some were upset with how Obama had treated her. I think that crying moment became a rallying cry for many women in the state who saw what they perceived as a fellow woman being treated unfairly.

The two biggest personal takeaways I remember from that night and the day after:

1. Veteran leadership matters. The Obama staffs were often quite young but we also had various people who had worked on campaigns decades before some of our people were born. Many of those people had experienced electoral defeats before and were a calming influence for the younger people who thought Obama was simply going to coast to victory.

2. The candidate matters. Obama's speech that night completely changed the narrative for many of us. Yes we had lost, but Obama rallied us back in a way I didn't even think was possible. It's hard to explain. I think that night was one of the defining moments of the campaign. I don't know of many politicians who could have done what Obama did in that speech, or the conversations he had with some staff folks in private afterwards. That was the night where I realized that I'd do just about anything for him.

So bitter that I grimaced reading this.

I'm sorry that I'm disappointed that people who should know better are resorting to low grade silly attacks like, "Hillary is a corporate tool!!!!!!111111!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!"

1. Working with corporations doesn't make you inherently evil.
2. The one released text from a Hillary speech with Goldman Sachs was with regards to exhorting Goldman to help finance more women in business.
3. Nothing wrong with accepting money to give a speech. It's easy money, why not take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom