• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, he groaned right after Hillary started talking about the vibrancy of black communities.

But maybe I'm making things up.

Exactly he's groaning at the notion that they are vibrant communities. His whole thing is that African American communities are doing poorly right now and his groan is indicating that this is a scripted remark about how everything is great when in reality it isn't. Trump isn't afraid of saying an offensive remark. If he had something he wanted to say he would say it. Believe me.

I bet ratings for the Pence/Kaine debate are awful
Don't say that about Dad! We're going to organize a bake sale, and hold up a huge banner for him saying "We're proud of you!" And he'll probably take us all to the McDonalds with the playplace after. Cause he said he would.

Piecake

I bet ratings for the Pence/Kaine debate are awful

Its going to be boring and rather pointless because Pence is going to be taking positions far different than Trump without even batting an eye.

Actually, if Kaine calls Pence out on that then the debate might get pretty interesting. I would tune in to see how Pence tries to stick a square peg into a round hole.

Loudninja

CtVYGEqWcAQEDG0.jpg

OMG the transcript reads more bizarre than watching it live.
My god <__>

Debirudog

Exactly he's groaning at the notion that they are vibrant communities. His whole thing is that African American communities are doing poorly right now and his groan is indicating that this is a scripted remark about how everything is great when in reality it isn't. Trump isn't afraid of saying an offensive remark. If he had something he wanted to say he would say it. Believe me.
I'm sorry by he came off incredibly poorly during that moment.

AA communities tend to be more expressive and open than other communities. That's not exactly a scripted remark for me and I don't think Hillary is being ignorant that they are issues that the AA communities face, something that she has remarked on far more than Trump ever did.

Hi PoliGaf, long time lurker first time poster. For some reason King County and the State of Washington still think I'm deployed somewhere even though I never left the state at all. One of the perks of this is I receive my mail in ballot like a month ahead everyone so I'll be the one of the first one out in the public to vote!

Piecake

Hi PoliGaf, long time lurker first time poster. For some reason King County and the State of Washington still think I'm deployed somewhere even though I never left the state at all. On of the perks of this is I receive my mail in ballot like a month ahead everyone so I'll be the one of the first one out in the public to vote! http://imgur.com/LXFjbzI

Voter Fraud!

Proof that Trump was right and the government is rigging the election for Hilary.

Man, I got to hand it to Hillary.

It would have been very difficult for me to not just straight up call him a buffoon.

Hillary's best effort tonight was just getting out of the way when Trump went unhinged. She was smart not to do too much engaging during those moments.

Anyway, here are my quick debate thoughts.

1. I can't imagine Trump gaining any real new support after tonight.

2. I'm not convinced Hillary convinced a lot of people to her side on her own. She did fine and had a few really good moments but it wasn't a stellar performance, the kind that could have basically ended Trump but...

3. Trump's performance had to convince some people to go to Hillary's side. He was a fucking mess. I really think his part on the birtherism, temperament, and sexism were devastatingly bad.

Any prelim numbers yet on the ratings?

Eh, to be honest, who really cares. The first debate will always be the most important and Hillary's campaign was successful in defining Trump and he basically confirmed all those definitions last night, the night where it counted the most. Everything from now to election day is just noise now.

Her campaign having the Alicia Machado ad out right after this brilliant debate performance should put to rest any doubts about their competency.

sazzy

So, what disease would we be diagnosing Hillary with right now had she been sniffing like Trump was tonight

I'm guessing he was on a high dose of antihistamines to keep him calm.

Antihistamines can cause extra dryness around your ENT, and that's probably why he kept sipping water, and probably would've caused an excessive dry nasal area, leading to irritation and extra sniffing.

note- I'm not a doctor; noting this simply as a regular allergy sufferer/antihistamine user

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Many in old school 2008 poligaf used to call him ChuckGodd.

We tribalize the king of our echo chamber every election cycle

I remember that, most wised up in 2012.

The primary reason was Chuck was one of the few to just point at the poll numbers and the electoral college and say "Obama's got this".

Hillary handled this way better than expected. I really disliked some of Gaf's ideas for her to take a condescending tone with Trump or call him an idiot. She was a total professional and I was very surprised that there were even a few moments in the debate where both candidates agreed on some issues and actually had brief instances of civil discussion

I understand the reason why she let Trump just go on unhinged but, I still feel like she let too many moments that she could have capitalized on go.

We got no "you're no Jack Kennedy" moment. Where I feel there was probably dozens of lines he was left open for a moment like that.

Joeytj

Banned

It would have been very difficult for me to not just straight up call him a buffoon.

Hillary's best effort tonight was just getting out of the way when Trump went unhinged. She was smart not to do too much engaging during those moments.

2. I'm not convinced Hillary convinced a lot of people to her side on her own. She did fine and had a few really good moments but it wasn't a stellar performance, the kind that could have basically ended Trump but...

3. Trump's performance had to convince some people to go to Hillary's side. He was a fucking mess. I really think his part on the birtherism, temperament, and sexism were devastatingly bad.

The last 30 minutes were a mess for Trump, but I have to admit that Hillary had me worried there for a minute when he was hitting her for NAFTA and trade. A lot of American voters agreed with Trump's sentiment, even if Hillary was saying a lot of the same things. But she did seem very detached for a while, like Obama during the entire first 2012 debate. Trump also successfully managed to prevent Hillary from talking a lot about her ideas. Hope she finds a strategy to deal with this in the next debates.

Honestly though, Hillary simply had a lot more good moments and sound bites than Trump, and Trump basically erased any sympathy he might of gained during the middle of the debate. He completely collapsed towards the end and during when most people were watching

And Hillary's confidence and Trump's flailing will be all that is talked about tomorrow (I hope).

thebloo

I understand the reason why she let Trump just go on unhinged but, I still feel like she let too many moments that she could have capitalized on go.

We got no "you're no Jack Kennedy" moment. Where I feel there was probably dozens of lines he was left open for a moment like that.

Look at the CNN cross-tabs. 55% think he attacked more versus 33% for her. This will go under the radar, but I think it's a remarkable achievement.

She stood her ground, fought back enough to make some headlines and videos, but she also gave him the rope to hang himself. Go back to the RNC debates. You can't out-punch, out-gun or out-bully Trump. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you.

She stayed classy throughout and the shoulder shimmy will probably make a huge impact with women. Fuck, I'll post it again, because it's awesome.

g739zFH.gif

Yup. The big one was "Your President" I think.

Also she could have twisted knife on birther even more.

Debirudog

Honestly, I don't know, she might run the risk of being accused as too "condescending" or "mean". She did enough to hurt Trump and that's all that matters in the end.

Piecake

This is something I wanted Hillary to point out. She was ignoring him too much early on to get her talking points in.

I think this might have been a deliberate strategy.

She gets criticized for being too wonky. If one of her counter-attacks on Trump was to correct him on the difference between VATs and tariffs, something that the average voter doesnt understand, she might have gotten hit for being a know-it-all and unlikable. Likability, reliability, values and temperament is probably more important right now for undecided voters than who scored the most debate points. People are going to remember the feel of the debate. They aren't going to remember that she didn't correct Trump on the differences between a VAT and a tariff.

What she pushed back on were easily understood facts and values/temperament, and most of the time not really appearing to do so. She baited Trump. She made it seem like he was the one attacking her, the one bullying her, when she was the one who was throwing out bait and leading him around on a leash like the stupid fool that he is.

I knew there would be a gif of this when I saw it. So good.

I guess she could have said something like "President Obama isn't just my President. He's our President. For all of America. For the struggling and striving. And that's the type of President I intend to be."

But I think it was something people picked up on anyway."Your President." Delegitimizing yet again.

Pixieking

Banned
Prediction Markets Score the Debate a Rout: Clinton Over Trump
According to the people who put money on the line in the political prediction markets, Hillary Clinton clearly won the first debate.

[...]

All told, Mrs. Clinton’s odds of winning the election rose from around 63 percent in the minutes before the debate started to 69 percent by the end. Likewise, Mr. Trump’s chances of winning the White House declined by five percentage points. Other prediction markets, such as PredictIt, showed an even larger move against Mr. Trump.

Farmboy

This is far more damaging to him than Obama's performance in 2012. Obama was terrible, but he was already President. There were no questions on whether or not he could do the job....because he'd been doing it for 4 years. Trump managed to shit the bed in front of 100 million people. Obama could bounce back because he could remind people of why they loved him. Trump cannot, because no one loves him, and he just confirmed everything Hillary's team has been saying about him for months.

Yes, that's the key difference. Even some of Obama's opponents responded with 'wow wtf happened there?'. It was out of character. No-one is saying that of Trump: they know what happened. We told you so.

Obama fucked up by not being himself, Trump did by being exactly himself.

AniHawk

I knew there would be a gif of this when I saw it. So good.

I guess she could have said something like "President Obama isn't just my President. He's our President. For all of America. For the struggling and striving. And that's the type of President I intend to be."

But I think it was something people picked up on anyway."Your President." Delegitimizing yet again.

'whew, okay' was the moment i knew it was over. i was listening on the radio and it was clear she was 100% completely in her element.

AniHawk

so considering the next presidential debate is a little under two weeks away, i wonder what trump does next. does he try and prepare more, or does he keep doing him? the second debate seems like it will have probably the best moderation of the three, so will he just lose his shit there?

at this point i'm more wondering what the gop loss will be in november over whether or not clinton has this. october is going to be a bloodbath once obama gets out there.

I'm actually going to slightly disagree with you on 2, to be honest.

I actually think this probably was her at her best debate wise. She was as close to flawless as I could have hoped for. I think she got up to the line of being too wonky a few times, but she pulled it back quickly. She also had soundbites. In the 24 hour news media bubble that's super important. When the networks were showing clips, they were showing Trump being cray-cray or they were showing one of her many great lines. (The "I did prepare for this debate, and you know what else I prepared for? To be President") got a fair bit of play)

So, I do think this actually ended him as much as anything would end anyone. He failed the very low goal of appearing Presidential. He failed it so hard. Because I believe Hillary's way to end this is to secure her voting groups, and I think she actually made huge strides towards doing that. But I actually think your third point is spot on because, like, the terrible things he did helps her to lock people down on her side.

Cerium

The debates are the last major opportunity to affect the race, everyone knows that, barring the infamous October Surprise.

Hillary was already up or tied at worst. She's got this.

Veelk

Banned
So, I do think this actually ended him as much as anything would end anyone. He failed the very low goal of appearing Presidential. He failed it so hard. Because I believe Hillary's way to end this is to secure her voting groups, and I think she actually made huge strides towards doing that. But I actually think your third point is spot on because, like, the terrible things he did helps her to lock people down on her side.

I'd still wait to see post debate polling. I really want this to be america's wake up call.

After a year of shit talk, promising he'll take on the corrupt political institution, when he finally was face to face with the opponent he claimed to be so morally, intellectually, and occupationally superior to, he was a screaming child.

If anything is going to end trump, it's going to be this. If it doesn't, then I still think Hillary will win, it just won't be the landslide it should be. But we'll see.

thebloo

“It was bizarre,” said Barack Obama’s campaign manager David Plouffe, who, like many Clinton allies, seemed visibly relieved. “He was clearly rattled, and clearly focused on defending himself, which I’m told narcissists are prone to do"

Someone kept saying a few months back (don't remember who) that there are techniques to deal with a narcissist and surely the campaign was studying. It was true.

Woke up early mad, with Chuck Todd on my mind. Before I go back to bed...Clinton's people came out the debate using the "Clinton over prepared for the debate to prepare for Trump's unpredictabity" line. A talking point that was obvious to most people who watched and rather undeniable. Chuck Todd, who was not in the spin room from what I understand, got wind of that and immediately started using the phrase to describe Clinton's performance as a negative thing. IE he didn't prepare, she prepared too much, both candidates missed the mark.

I cannot stand this stupid motherfucker. That's all. Back to bed. I'm happy.

AniHawk

well the best poll has trump still ahead by 3.5. i guess the debate really solidified for undecideds that trump knows his stuff and is far more composed and presidential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom