• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazzy

8DT3XN8.jpg

More: https://www.google.com.au/trends/story/US_cu_XRyhKlcBAACrtM_en

starmud

The spin that somehow him not mentioning bill having affairs is showing a presidential like restraint? What the hell is Kellyanne on this morning.

Why even rehash this moment. What.

So what was the speculation on what will happen with the Merrick Garland nomination if it looks like Hillary will win? Will Republicans rush to confirm him in the face of a potentially younger, more liberal Hillary pick? Will Obama rescind his nomination?

I'm watching the BBC News coverage of the debate at lunch, and they're doing a truly incredible amount of "both sides."
Interestingly, the American media isn't. But, like, maybe they're just trying to make up for BREXIT!??!?

We can ask bad nate later.

sazzy

Trump on Fox about Alicia:

this person... i know this person... she was the worst person... this person gained weight...
this person was terrible

Trump lost, no doubt about it. He essentially didn't prepare and choked LIKE A DOG.

Clinton, while not perfect, did really well.

He had a low bar and couldn't pass it, she had a high bar and exceeded it.

Having said that, I'm not convinced debates are this game-changer people think it is, but her debate performance only helped her.

Brinbe

They're really scummy with all this Clinton affair stuff. They're clearly trying to have their cake and eat it too by putting it out there, but not totally implicitly. First with the Flowers invite and now mentioning this stuff at the end of the debate and after but acting like he's somehow the bigger person here.

All they want to do is plant the seed in the public mind and then back away from it. Total scumbag moves and they deserve to be called out on it.

So would me saying, "Mika is ******sing the fuck out right now" make you happier?

I feel as though you're missing the point here. A fellow member requested we stop using their name as a joke because it upset them. We agreed. We don't use the term anymore because it's disrespectful to Diablos. It is not cool to continue ribbing somebody who has repeatedly asked people to stop.

But I won't go back and forth with you anymore - I'm sure you don't want to either. Just know that we are trying to move away from the joke and you will probably receive some pushback when you use it.

#ImWithDiablos

Pixieking

Banned
So would me saying, "Mika is ******sing the fuck out right now" make you happier?

As someone whose name was made a verb amongst his friends irl, I can tell you that it's a very short-step from "This is cool and funny" to "What the hell". Luckily my friends could see that it wasn't amusing me and left it.

So, y'know, let's leave it.

danm999

It would be difficult for me to go over everything I felt Trump fucked up in this debate so I'll go with the one I found most affecting.

The Alicia Machedo stuff seemed a pretty devastating closer to me. Trump's rebuttal "where did you find this" didn't even seem like a real rebuttal but like a panicked knee jerk which made it all more impactful.

Diablos

Trump lost, no doubt about it. He essentially didn't prepare and choked LIKE A DOG.

Clinton, while not perfect, did really well.

He had a low bar and couldn't pass it, she had a high bar and exceeded it.

Having said that, I'm not convinced debates are this game-changer people think it is, but her debate performance only helped her.
Do we know how many people actually watched yet? If
100 million people watched Trump's word salad "debate" style it makes a lasting impression. This isn't the primary.

I feel as though you're missing the point here. A fellow member requested we stop using their name as a joke because it upset them. We agreed. We don't use the term anymore because it's disrespectful to Diablos. It is not cool to continue ribbing somebody who has repeatedly asked people to stop.

But I won't go back and forth with you anymore - I'm sure you don't want to either. Just know that we are trying to move away from the joke and you will probably receive some pushback when you use it.

#ImWithDiablos

So even when I change it and don't use the name, it still bothers you? I don't get it.

is there audio?

He was on Fox and Friends just now. They showed it on Morning Joe. It was surreal.

Trump doubles down on everything. After he octupled down on attacking the Khan family after the Democratic convention that should be obvious to everyone. Hopefully we're close enough to the election now that people don't forget this time.

I don't trust my fellow Americans that much. Sorry. :(

Do we know how many people actually watched yet? If
100 million people watched Trump's word salad "debate" style it makes a lasting impression. This isn't the primary.
I think fast nationals for locals come out around noon or so EST. Maybe someone will have them earlier on Twitter. I think the cable ratings take a bit longer.

Do we know how many people actually watched yet?
100 million people watching Trump's word salad "debate" style makes a lasting impression. This isn't the primary.

This is why it's so important that media covers the debate(s) accurately. Most people didn't and won't tune in to the debate, so the post-debate material needs to be clear. We haven't had fair media coverage of the two candidates almost this whole election cycle. It matters a lot more as people get to work and start Googling what happened last night.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hope he brings it up. She has tremendous time to prepare a great answer.

"Well, Donald, besides that deeply painful, humiliating part of my life being none of your business, I learned that despite no matter how much someone's mistake hurts you--no matter how gut wrenching, how heart wrenching, how saddening it can be-- people in our country are fundamentally good and if you give them a chance they will redeem themselves. My relationship with Bill, which again is none of your business, is one of the many sources of strength for me in my life. I'm sorry you can't understand that."

I feel like the strongest moment of the debate, and the one that I think best demonstrates Hillary's strategy there, was when Trump tried to claim that his temperament was his greatest asset and the audience straight up laughed at him. She controlled the tone, she controlled the content, and she used both to put him into a position where he kept on spending all his time talking about his weak points and very, very little time attacking her on hers. Like, the emails thing? He managed successfully to pivot the tax returns to her, briefly... then she shrugged it off, got under his skin, so when the mic went back to him, he spent a few moments on emails again and then went right back to talking about his taxes!

Wilsongt

Already past the first debate Clinton won, and do called progressives are still calling for her to drop out and saying Bernie should replace her.

Republicans aren't the only onea who need to take the L.

Diablos

There's zero reason anyone here shd worry

Even when she inevitably only gains 1-2 points
Well we probably shouldn't worry too much about any bad polls that may come down the wire over the next couple days. Once the public digests all of this I definitely can see a bounce for her. Maybe it will be a point or two, maybe more but I also see Trump losing ground no matter what.

danm999

Already past the first debate Clinton won, and do called progressives are still calling for her to drop out and saying Bernie should replace her.

Republicans aren't the only onea who need to take the L.

I'm seeing some chatter about how Bernie would have had a better answer for NAFTA and TPP against Trump which kind of ignore that Trump wouldn't bother trying to attack Bernie for those things. Sad!

Frank Luntz ‏@FrankLuntz 8h8 hours ago Philadelphia, PA
Question by @TCBerenson to strongest Trump supporter in my group: "What do you think tonight?"

Answer: "He did bad, but I'm anti-Hillary."

Rebecca BergVerified account
‏@rebeccagberg
Philly focus group concludes...
Trump: Missed opportunities. Bombastic. Sloppy. Unanswered questions
Clinton: Firm. Same old. Knowledgeable

NeoXChaos

2016_09_26_pres_600.png

2016-09-26_Senate_Map_600.png

Democrats now have an even narrower path to taking back the Senate. With Wisconsin and Illinois likely to elect Democrats to the Senate instead of the incumbent Republicans, Democrats need three of four of the Crystal Ball’s current Toss-ups (Indiana, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania) to win an outright majority (or two of them and the vice presidency). Uphill battles in Leans Republican states such as Florida, Missouri, and North Carolina could also provide opportunities, but they remain harder targets (of the three, Florida is moving closer to Likely Republican, while Missouri and North Carolina seem to be getting more competitive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom