• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT11| Well this is exciting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes

I can't believe Hillary did tonight what Cruz, Rubio, Bush and many other Republicans were unable to do - and they had multiple chances.

Joeytj

Banned
All the former Berners on my Facebook wall are suddenly quiet now. Before the debate, they were all "If Bernie were the candidate, he's be winning!" or "Trump is going to win".

Now, well. They're not.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Lester Holt isn't getting the respect he'll be getting when historians look back and watch as he conducted a master class in setting the stage and getting out of the way. He pressed where he had to, let the candidates reply to each other, and generally kept what should have been a circus to what we expect out of American politics. That it was devastating for Trump or that Holt didn't save Trump from himself is not anyone's problem. Holt was fine bordering on perfect.

2. Many people are missing the throughline from tonight:

-- Trump admitted not paying his fair share of taxes ('because they'd be wasted too!')
-- Trump admitted not paying what he owes contractors (because 'maybe they did a bad job?')
-- Trump admitted he thinks our allies should pay for our protection

These are all of a piece; they are all different forms of the same thing -- a shockingly un-American approach to business. Cheat your way to the top, screw the little guy, and stick up the competition. He's a conman and a mobster.

H. A. Goodman ‏@HAGOODMANAUTHOR 2m2 minutes ago

Clinton simply smiles and laughs, knowing that America defines "presidential" as not caring about wars, FBI probes, and prison lobby donors

She literally brought up private prisons being morally reprehensible.
His twitter feed is so sad and pathetic.

Oh come on, he was groaning at Hillary's canned response not at the black communities themselves.

There are plenty of valid attacks that can be directed at Trump why make up ones?

I mean, he groaned right after Hillary started talking about the vibrancy of black communities.

But maybe I'm making things up.

I can't believe Hillary did tonight what Cruz, Rubio, Bush and many other Republicans were unable to do - and they had multiple chances.

I maintain that the large crowd during the Republican Primary helped Trump win. Had it been straight up Trump/Cruz/Rubio/Kasich/Bush--I think the outcome would have been very different. Trump basically just had to hang on and wait for people to fall apart, so he could leech their supporters. By self-funding his campaign he wasn't beholden to keeping donors happy, and he already had name recognition allowing him to forego spending money on ads. He literally won the War of Attrition while simultaneously pandering to the Republican base.

Pixieking

Banned
Oh come on, he was groaning at Hillary's canned response not at the black communities themselves.

There are plenty of valid attacks that can be directed at Trump why make up ones?

You can argue that that's what he meant, but you can't argue about how he came across. He came across unsympathetic and racist by groaning at that point. He could've said afterwards that he was groaning at the canned response. He didn't.

1261454.gif

YDEnd.png

1300660.jpg

I can't believe people are forgetting what, IMO, was the worst line of the night from Trump, which was his admission to stiffing contractors by saying "Maybe they didn't do a good job?". That is straight poison to so many small business owners and shifted the frame from "Trump's looking out for the little guy" from Trump's campaign to "Trump just admitted to screwing over the little guy".

That's why I think he lost the entire debate including the first 20 min. You had the double shot of hitting him on his taxes (which was devastating) followed up immediately by hitting him on not paying workers. That was the most brutal one-two of the night as far as I'm concerned.

My hope is there's a camera crew ready first thing in the morning so we can see the "not a good job" the contractor did.

Toxi

Banned
And let’s dispel once and for all with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn’t know what he’s doing. He knows exactly what he’s doing.

Chichikov

Nah son, Ulysses is fantastic. Finnegan's Wake is kinda mish-mashy though, I will admit. He went a bit too far with that one.
After losing the election, Trump quantum leaped into James Joyce's body, and the only way he could get home is write a book.
The result is Finnagan's Wake.

Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk.

Ulysses is a chore to read (and that's coming from someone who is able to enjoy fucking Proust), but it does have some fantastic use of the English language in it. Not enough to make reading it enjoyable to me, but enough for me to appreciate the book.

Dubliners is great.

I just noticed that Trump said he said he hasn't really thought about NATO much.

As he tries to essentially make the case to become the leader of NATO.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

I think this really drives home the point that those guys are all pretty shitty candidates.

CCS

Banned
Sounds like Queen smashed it last night. YAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSS

Now to continue crushing him, I don't want him getting back on his feet again.

sazzy

Just realized something:

If he goes back to Crooked Hillary from Secretary Clinton, he's going to come off as even more pathetic and small.

Ben Carson and Ted Cruz were the only candidates ever to challenge Trump. Ben Carson ran a mail fraud scam while high on quaaludes during his campaign. Ted Cruz is the guy who would buy a shit-ton of real estate in 2006 based on him endorsing Trump right before Trump got pummeled.

Rubio and Scott Walker lost to Carson, Cruz, and Trump. Sad.

Sibylus

Banned
Holt did very well in my view.

He didn't have time to press Trump on denials for very long, but press he did within reason. A number of the questions were shots straight across Trump's bow that he was poorly equipped to answer convincingly (war in iraq, first strike policy, compliance with the will of the people, etc). His question selection and followup was impeccable and did what it needed to do: keep them on their toes and honest. Clinton handled it with professional poise. Trump folded in 10 minutes.

Trump complained that Clinton didn't include Yemen in the Iran deal.

His answers are so ...dumb. I can't come up with a better word than that. I'm sorry.

His responses are fucking dumb.

CCS

Banned
Trump complained that Clinton didn't include Yemen in the Iran deal.

His answers are so ...dumb. I can't come up with a better word than that. I'm sorry.

His responses are fucking dumb.

I mean, I'm impressed that Trump actually knows the word "Yemen" and was curious enough to find that this "Yemen" is somehow related to Iran.

Holmes

I think the line that had the most potential for Trump was "she has experience, but it's bad experience", but it fell flat because he didn't say why. It was a very "fill in the blanks yourself" line that he did with so many of his answers. So it kind of backfired, and he basically said she has the experience, which is one of her best qualities when asked in the polls. Very poor performance from him tonight.

Clinton ended the debate talking about how Trump calls peoples names and Trump didn't respond with "deplorables."

He so did not prepare, lmao.

Veelk

Banned
Just realized something:

If he goes back to Crooked Hillary from Secretary Clinton, he's going to come off as even more pathetic and small.
Yeah. At this point, he'll just look like someone who is polite to her face, but then talks shit when there's distance to keep him safe.

Ten bucks says he'll do it.

Sibylus

Banned
I think the line that had the most potential for Trump was "she has experience, but it's bad experience", but it fell flat because he didn't say why. It was a very "fill in the blanks yourself" line that he did with so many of his answers. So it kind of backfired, and he basically said she has the experience, which is one of her best qualities when asked in the polls. Very poor performance from him tonight.

Disagree. It came across as a very off-the-cuff remark made in desperation. It was all he had and he threw it against the wall in the hopes that it would stick.

I doubt it does, because on its face it's not even remotely convincing. Even if we assume Clinton's experiences were bad... even bad experiences are still instructive to the extreme. Much more so than what Donald "I don't say anything" Trump has to offer.

Holmes

Disagree. It came across as a very off-the-cuff remark made in desperation. It was all he had and he threw it against the wall in the hopes that it would stick.

I doubt it does, because on its face it's not even remotely convincing. Even if we assume Clinton's experiences were bad... even bad experiences are still instructive to the extreme. Much more so than what Donald "I don't say anything" Trump has to offer.

It came across that way because he was in no way prepared. I know we still make fun of Rubio for his totally scripted line he gave during that one debate but Trump could've made that line more damaging with preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom