• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
3WIpw5Q.jpg

Bernie statement.

Win the nomination....right...

The results in Ohio tonight are encouraging for Trump in Pennsylvania. That is if you ever thought Appalachia was anything other than in the bag for him.

I'm not entirely surprised, either. Kasich's strength has never been in Appalachian Ohio; he carried the northern, central and western parts of the state and had his weakest margins of victory in the Democratic strongholds and Appalachia in 2014.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah, a graceful exit right now and i'd regain a lot of the respect I had for Sanders at the start of the election. Him continuing to run now, I have no respect left.

Hazmat

I remember an article talking about how proud the Sanders campaign was about the amount of donations they've gotten from the unemployed. At a certain point you really have a moral obligation to stop cashing those checks, right?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Bwhaha, not a single word about their own tire fire.
Who does he work for again? The republicans?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
@Redistrict 6m "In the Illinois loophole primary, there is rampant evidence Trump supporters gave fewer votes to Trump delegates w/ foreign-sounding names."

how does this work? i voted in the ohio primary today and didnt vote for any delegates. just hilary and a bunch of random people on the Dem ballot i had never even heard of. what am i missing?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Bernie still has plenty of White mid-western and north-western States left to go by.

Let him have his moral victories.
I wouldn't mindif he stayed in if he stopped acting like he has a chance and stopped shittingon Hillary. Keep running your message, say you promised to let all 50 states have their say. Then release your delegates before the convention.

Someone explain this wacky delegate selection shit in plain English.

On the Illinois ballot you have to vote for 3 delegates, usually you just select the three associated with your candidate, but many Trump voters split their ticket and avoided voting for Trump delegates with foreign sounding names.

Paskil

LMAO, fucking Reince. Whoever said that he wrote these last year and just have them on timed Seldon releases was spot on.

Killing the families of terrorists and carpet bombing/turning the Middle East to glass is bound to make our country safer.

T'Zariah

Banned
Trump: Bernie, come over to the Trump side and together we will rule the galaxy!
Sanders: I'll never join you! You killed my campaign!
Trump: MSNBC never told you what happened to the anti-establishment vote...
Sanders: They told me enough! They told me you killed it!
Trump: No Bernie, I AM the anti-establishment vote!
Sanders: That's not true! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
Trump: Search your feelings Bernie, you know it to be true.
Sanders: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

YAAAAAAAAS

So Bernie is a cash-spending machine (way more than Clinton). I wonder if this will make his money dry up for the next month and put him in a bind.

Also, if he continue to be negative towards Clinton and keeps attacking, I have a feeling a lot of folks will become resentful of him and in turn destroy his message and what he tried to accomplish.

ivysaur12

Banned
Nate Cohn seems to think losing Ohio gives Trump an even clearer path ahead:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/u...-trumps-loss-in-ohio-may-have-been-a-win.html

Donald Trump’s near sweep of states on Tuesday — with the notable exception of Ohio — set up a true three-way race for the second half of the primary season.

The results Tuesday night showed why it’s a race he could win.

Despite his loss in Ohio, Mr. Trump is positioned to make a serious run at earning an outright majority of delegates and avoid a contested convention.

His success in winner-take-all Florida — worth 99 delegates — was enough to push Marco Rubio out of the race. The consequences of the departure are not too significant: Mr. Rubio was already reduced to around 10 percent of the vote, or maybe less, by the time he lost his home state, Florida, by a 19-percentage-point margin.

It was the scale of Mr. Trump’s win that was impressive and telling. He won 46 percent of the vote in Florida and carried every county but Miami-Dade, Mr. Rubio’s home county. He did it in a closed primary, where only registered Republicans are permitted to vote, a format that was thought to put Mr. Trump at a disadvantage.

Mr. Trump’s large share of the vote in Florida was a pattern throughout the night. He got at least 39 percent of the vote in every contest except Ohio, where he faced its strong governor, John Kasich. The higher share of the vote for Mr. Trump is important because it’s the sort of tally that would easily allow him to win a three-way race.

Mr. Trump’s loss in Ohio may have cost him a lot of delegates, but it may nonetheless help him from this point onward by assuring a true three-way race. Mr. Kasich will almost certainly stay in the race, which will help split the anti-Trump vote, especially in the blue states that predominate in the second half of the primary season.

The results in Illinois — and Michigan last week — hint at how Ted Cruz’s blue-state weakness and Mr. Kasich’s strength might help Mr. Trump amass a majority of delegates.

Mr. Trump won Michigan and Illinois by wide margins, with less than 40 percent of the vote, since Mr. Kasich and Mr. Cruz neatly split the preponderance of the non-Trump voters.

The problem for Mr. Cruz — and the good news for Mr. Trump — is that there are far fewer states like North Carolina and Missouri from this point on. The contest now turns to the blue states, where Mr. Kasich and Mr. Cruz will more equitably split the vote. Mr. Trump is often fairly strong there himself — as the results in Massachusetts suggest.

The combination of Mr. Trump’s blue-state strength, of the more evenly divided opposition in the North and of delegate rules that increasingly favor winners makes it easy to imagine how Mr. Trump could amass an outright majority of delegates.

The path is fairly straightforward. By my rough estimate, Mr. Trump ended Tuesday night needing around 600 delegates to win the nomination. He could get 350 of them from states where he’s clearly favored: Indiana, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, West Virginia, Delaware, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey. Mr. Trump will undoubtedly earn more delegates from a variety of states that award their delegates proportionally, like Washington or New Mexico.

Whether Mr. Trump can win the rest comes down to states where Mr. Trump might be weaker, but where a divided field might let him emerge nonetheless as the winner. At the top of the list is California, a state where there are plenty of reasons to think that Mr. Trump might struggle, but where both Mr. Kasich and Mr. Cruz can count on considerable support.

Who knows whether a divided field will allow Mr. Trump to win California and its 172 delegates, or the other states where he might be relatively vulnerable — Arizona, Maryland, Wisconsin, Montana, South Dakota and Nebraska? A strong showing in these states, especially in the winner-take-all contests, could let him clear the 1,237-delegate threshold.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
On the Illinois ballot you have to vote for 3 delegates, usually you just select the three associated with your candidate, but many Trump voters split their ticket and avoided voting for Trump delegates with foreign sounding names.
I see. Sounds really strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom