• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanGy.nz

Banned
You know what? A couple of hours ago, I had a revelation that if Bernie wins the nomination, I'm going to vote for Trump. I would rather throw the election to the republicans for four years and let them continue to destroy their own party and embitter Americans than let Bernie complete the polarization of the democratic party the same way the wingnut-right has completed theirs. Then we can let Clinton run again in 4 years and save the country, and Sanders will be dead by then. That's how I feel.

Bernie Sanders is a demagogue. He's wrong about everything, he's impervious to facts, he's excessively reductionist, he's unqualified, and the worst thing of all: he's not even a Democrat. If you want to run the progressive movement into the ground and see meaningful college reform, financial system reform, and healthcare reform all disappear in front of our very eyes, go ahead and vote Sanders. Me, the only president I would be happy with is currently the only Democrat running for office.
Sanders isn't the cartoonish super villain you imagine, Trump on the other hand probably has a secret base in a volcano somewhere.

You know what? A couple of hours ago, I had a revelation that if Bernie wins the nomination, I'm going to vote for Trump. I would rather risk extreme violence and discrimination against minority groups for four years and let them continue to destroy their own party and embitter Americans than let Bernie complete the polarization of the democratic party the same way the wingnut-right has completed theirs. Then we can let Clinton run again in 4 years and save the country, and Sanders will be dead by then. That's how I feel.

Bernie Sanders is a demagogue. He's wrong about everything, he's impervious to facts, he's excessively reductionist, he's unqualified, and the worst thing of all: he's not even a Democrat. If you want to run the progressive movement into the ground and see meaningful college reform, financial system reform, and healthcare reform all disappear in front of our very eyes, go ahead and vote Sanders. Me, the only president I would be happy with is currently the only Democrat running for office.

Just had to clarify a couple points.

Edit- actually, you're in California, right? Go for it. California is going at least 65/35 against Trump no matter who we nominate.

And now the part that matters.

@mpoppel 20m20 minutes ago
Today in pledged delegates, so far:
DEMS: Clinton 87, Sanders 69 (10 left to allocate)
GOP: Trump 59, Cruz 44, Kasich 17, Rubio 0 (30 left)

gp9GVnt.png

Sanders fans now all about how Hillary has no firewalls left

If Bernie not being a Democrat is your "worst thing of all", I encourage you to rethink your priorities. Political parties are tools for action and have no inherent value in and of themselves.

I love that gif.

No way does she lose New York. We elected her to the senate twice. NYC alone is enough to decide the entire primary. Also, she won white people in other states.

You do know that Hillary basically never even lived in New York until she ran for the Senate right? And that Bernie was born in Brooklyn? Bernie is a true New Yorker. Hillary is a fake New Yorker, just like she's fake at everything else.

benjipwns

Banned
You know what? A couple of hours ago, I had a revelation that if Bernie wins the nomination, I'm going to vote for Trump. I would rather throw the election to the republicans for four years and let them continue to destroy their own party and embitter Americans than let Bernie complete the polarization of the democratic party the same way the wingnut-right has completed theirs. Then we can let Clinton run again in 4 years and save the country, and Sanders will be dead by then. That's how I feel.

:jnc

Roque "Rocky" De La Fuente is a registered Democrat.

And she won 20 delegates today lol. Hilly-GAF you wouldnt survive a day as a Bernie stan.

But yeah you couldnt be more wrong about Sanders. And you better get used to it, since the Democratic Party will be the Party of Sanders from now on even if he doesnt win the nomination.

Also, I think it's a mistake for Obama to not endorse Clinton yet.

Though I have a feeling a lot of that is pending the FBI inquiry being finished.

Also, bah, Hillary still not +200 delegates ahead.

I think Michigan result also calls into question IL and OH polls we have seen till date. Hopefully, this puts campaign into overdrive for next Tuesday.

O'Malley was not as polished and charismatic, though. I don't buy that a smart, charismatic white guy can't get the Dem nom anymore.

Basically what Ivysaur said. They could get the nom running on an exceptionally progressive agenda, but not running as a wedding singer cover of Bill Clinton like Edwards and O'Malley more or less did.

Brinbe

gp9GVnt.png

Wow, dumb. They took shit for granted. I really thought they'd know better. Sincerely hope that doesn't happen again.

Bernie put in the work. He deserved to win and the result shouldn't be a surprise then.

gp9GVnt.png

Oh really?

She was there since the Flint scandal became national. She had the presence. This wasnt a caucus, organization is less important.

All I see is excuses that dont address a possible underlying problem.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oh really?

She was there since the Flint scandal became national. She had the presence. This wasnt a caucus, organization is less important.

Organization and GOTV is still important in primaries.

What we saw were polls showing Clinton up by double digits. And then she wasn't. Maybe the race was never a 20-point race, or maybe Clinton voters just didn't think they needed to vote due to a lack of resources poured into the state because of its perceived victory of Clinton.

It would (partly) explain why the polling was so wrong.

benjipwns

Banned
HE'S TRYING TO RIG IT
Bernie Sanders’s campaign has filed a lawsuit against Ohio’s secretary of state to allow 17-year olds to vote in the Democratic primary on March 15, according to a CNN report.

Sanders’s campaign manager told reporters in Michigan on Tuesday that Republican Jon Husted, who is Ohio’s secretary of State, has changed the rules to make it so that those who are currently 17, but will be 18 by the time of the November general election, cannot vote in the state’s primaries.

"The secretary of state has decided to disenfranchise people who are 17 but will be 18 by the day of the general election,” Weaver said, according to CNN. “Those people have been allowed to vote under the law of Ohio, but the secretary of state of the state of Ohio has decided to disenfranchise those people to forbid them from voting in the primary that is coming up on March 15.”

One more thing to consider about New York outcome for dems is that Bernie will be, potentially, coming off of 8 straight wins leading up to NY voting. I'm not sure how much momentum actually matters, but Bernie will have it.

sphagnum

Banned

This is literally as dumb as Sanders supporters who say they'll vote for Trump in the general against Hillary.

Remember how Hillary and Bernie have similar voting records in the Senate? That goes both ways. If Sanders is the nominee you better come out and support him if you want a liberal Supreme Court, if you want gay and women's rights to be respected, if you want any chance at incremental progressive legislation.

It's the exact same thing.

Possibly hurt during Michigan debate. In which case it was a poor choice for the campaign to push for that location. But I don't really know what in it would have hurt her.

The main things seem to be poorer turnout in favourable places and among her base.

Makai

I forget Benji - are you rooting for Bern or Cruz?

Discounting no-hopers like Gary Johnson, of course.

besada

Banned
Possibly hurt during Michigan debate. In which case it was a poor choice for the campaign to push for that location. But I don't really know what in it would have hurt her.

The main things seem to be poorer turnout in favourable places and among her base.
Didn't she support fracking in the debate? (i'm genuinely asking because I heard chatter about it but missed the debate.)

If so, well, being in favor of an industrial process known to poison groundwater might not be the look you want in Michigan right now.

benjipwns

Banned
I forget Benji - are you rooting for Bern or Cruz?

Discounting no-hopers like Gary Johnson, of course.
In what? The primaries?

I don't throw my vote away in the general, which is why Gary Johnson would hypothetically get it if I were to vote and he were to be a candidate on the ballot.

This is literally as dumb as Sanders supporters who say they'll vote for Trump in the general against Hillary.

Remember how Hillary and Bernie have similar voting records in the Senate? That goes both ways. If Sanders is the nominee you better come out and support him if you want a liberal Supreme Court, if you want gay and women's rights to be respected, if you want any chance at incremental progressive legislation.

It's the exact same thing.
Yeah, but Hillary can fix that Supreme Court four years later.

There were roughly 12 people that voted in Hawaii but it seems like none of them voted for Rubio. Trump may be headed for his first caucus victory.

royalan

Oh really?

She didn't have the presence.

I credit Hillary for her work in Flint. The crisis that city is facing needed a spotlight placed on it and she did a lot of work to do that. She got their votes as a result.

But Michigan is a large, diverse state. And one of the hardest hit economically. The organization wasn't there in reaching the rest of the electorate.

Didn't she support fracking in the debate? (i'm genuinely asking because I heard chatter about it but missed the debate.)

If so, well, being in favor of an industrial process known to poison groundwater might not be the look you want in Michigan right now.

The fracking question was actually one of Bernie's stronger moments. Hillary gave a long, wonkish answer about certain criteria where fracking is ok with her that sounded like a terms & conditions agreement, then Bernie's reply was "My answer's a little bit shorter: no."

The fracking question was actually one of Bernie's stronger moments. Hillary gave a long, wonkish answer about certain criteria where fracking is ok with her that sounded like a terms & conditions agreement, then Bernie's reply was "My answer's a little bit shorter: no."
I thought that was about the EPA and Flint?

Although her answers tend to be wonkish regardless.

Also, I'm iffy on the public health impact of hydraulic fracturing. From memory there's conflicting findings. But it's another one of those bugbears of the left flank.

besada

Banned
I see. Well, that was probably a mistake on her part. But given her history on fracking was probably the best she could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom