• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how the Bernie revolution would have proceeded on PoliGAF if empty vessel was still here.
He would have told you there was no reason to raise anyone's taxes except the super rich and only to destroy capital and that the middle class tax raises would be worse than the offsets his social programs would provide.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is true. Even as someone who has very openly been telling Sanders supporters that this shit is DOA barring Clinton getting herself indicted; there are definitely Clinton supporters here who are worse than any of the Sanders supporters on reddit, and remind me of the racist asshole Clinton supporters from '08 (btw, the irony that Sanders is getting crucified in GAF for using Clinton's '08 strategy is hilarious and hypocritical as hell). To be fair, the main OT threads (as opposed to community) are even worse.

I'm not going to name any names, but a certain Sanders/Trump supporter (actually, I think there are two but one stays away from here) are more obnoxious. I also was an Obama supporter through the last primary. There are a couple of obnoxious Hillary supporters here, but it tends to come out of concern for general election, or perceived disrespect from Sanders. But at least you recognize the OT being a Big Fat Mess ;) I still try 95% of the time civilly. Echo chambers are bad when facts start being ignored and conspiracy theories start forming.

On another note, that communities post by Pigeon is some top quality shit. Like, a few months of research away from being published quality. What do you do for a living pigeon?

Lee and Love have no ability to explain why Garland shouldn't have a hearing, omg. They did so badly trying to answer the "Lee, if you're such a big constitutionalist, why aren't you doing your job with the Supreme Court?"

It's incredible that McConnell went down this path without even coming up with a way to phrase it.

Now this guy in the audience question section is ranting about government conspiracies covering up crimes and I think maybe Benghazi?

I was thinking that this idea from Lee might be one of his genuinely good ideas, but it's just a backdoor way to dismantle the regulatory state.

I think calling s4p a cult is a little harsh, although there's definitely an ongoing problem (among everybody) with information filtering in the universe of targeted newsfeeds.

To go back to the r/bravenewbies comparison, I think you can see a lot of both the benefits and drawbacks of decentralized leadership by looking at these Reddit communities. Which is an important thing to understand as a liberal/radical!

In the up times, when everything's going well and it's all about the excitement of creating and participating in something, the decentralization and group plussing of a subreddit are actually really effective in creating a core group of evangelists (posters) and a mass of marginally attached people (readers). The evangelists churn out content, plans, and energy and get rewarded primarily with upvotes and control. The marginally attached folks get a constant stream of reminders and pushes to shove them over the decision hump and into taking some small meaningful action, over and over again. Their reward is the emotional charge of feeling engagement and ownership for a low investment. Put them together and you get a great engine for producing lots and lots of volunteer energy and brainpower. Sometimes this means defining action downwards, like Facebanking, but it's still people who have transitioned from watchers to actors, and that's the hardest part for any volunteer effort.

In the leaner times, though, when dealing with defeat or tedium, the serious disadvantage of decentralized leadership becomes clear -- it is much harder, as a leader, to handle failure gracefully than it is to keep succeeding. Ten evangelists each producing a new project with a hundred watchers and doing a bunch of cool stuff suddenly becomes ten angry posters disagreeing over what went wrong, whose fault it is, how fair it is, and what should be done next, covering the front page in arguments. The lack of formal process that gave people freedom to do what they thought would help suddenly means there's no structure to guide the postmortem and avoid fingerpointing, deflecting, and even spinning conspiracy theories. Instead of a front page of excited people doing cool stuff and making you proud to be part of the group you have a front page of angry people expressing their disappointment that they didn't get their emotional charge from participating today, which creates a vicious circle. The marginally attached people were always marginally attached, so without that charge it's easy for them to drift away and give up. The evangelists were always emotionally invested more than anything, so it's easy for them to end up bitter and angry that their investment isn't being rewarded by the universe, and start evangelizing that emotion instead.

Honestly, this isn't even about the internet -- you could probably put together a pretty good critique of Occupy this way. The internet just makes it a lot easier and quicker to succeed and fail.

Great post. I think I'm pretty bad at putting what I'm thinking in to words. I'm not trying to say that /r/s4p is a cult. I just think they're falling prey to this phenomenon that I learned about when learning about cults. I'm bad with words, though. It's absolutely a universal phenomenon. It shows up fucking every where. And as much as I think that /r/s4p is starting to "cool" into something bad, just like hillaryis44.com did, I don't think it's possible for me to overemphasize how impressed I am with the entire organization they've run there. I mean, I'm a (sorta kinda former) Bernie supporter myself. I think that the amount of work they've done as a massive, purely voluntary movement is incredible. It's the kind of thing I'd like to see happen on a large scale every year.

Also, asking me to pick the best PoliGAF poster is like asking me to pick the best 2016 Democrat nominee. In that both are groups with a lot of good options, and Roque "Rocky" De La Fuente is the best of both worlds.

NeoXChaos

Geoffrey Skelley ‏@geoffreyvs 4h4 hours ago
Geoffrey Skelley Retweeted Jamie Weinstein
Problem for Sanders is he needs to win everywhere by 10+, even 20+

Geoffrey Skelley ‏@geoffreyvs 3h3 hours ago Charlottesville, VA
.@kkondik est. best-case Sanders scenario--65% remaining caucus+55% primary PLEDGED delegates. Updated: C 2058, S 1993. Still short.

Geoffrey Skelley ‏@geoffreyvs 3h3 hours ago Charlottesville, VA
Give Sanders 70% of remaining caucus delegates+55% of primary dels: Still Clinton 2049, Sanders 2003 in pledged delegates.

CeUwqn6WQAAVKbR.jpg

Folks, that Ted Cruz joke from the AI is legit the funniest political joke that I have heard in a long time.

Lorne Michaels should hire it for SNL's writers' room. Or hell, it could host the Daily Show instead of Trevor fucking Noah.

At the very least, it should be on the BBC's Big Fat Quiz show of 2016 and partnered with Russell Brand.

Let's do Poli-GAF cabinet and such!

I need some help filing it in, of course.

I think this is what I'd do.

President: Pigeon
Vice President: B-Dubs
Press Secretary: Benji

But there's lots of positions to fill like Secretary of State! And guys like Ivy, Neo, and the rest of you need spots. Where would we go?

As for myself, I would imagine I'd be Secretary of the Treasury or Fed Chairman...though I'd be perfectly fine being Pigeon's campaign manager as well!

CCS

Banned

But there's lots of positions to fill like Secretary of State! And guys like Ivy, Neo, and the rest of you need spots. Where would we go?

As for myself, I would imagine I'd be Secretary of the Treasury or Fed Chairman...though I'd be perfectly fine being Pigeon's campaign manager as well!

I want Fed! I'll be working at the Bank of England soon so it's vaguely my area of expertise :p

Wilsongt

North Carolina needs to be chewed up and shat out several times over in the next few days. Twelve hours to stop any minimum wage increase, prevent transgedered individuals from using their gender restroom, and remove any protections for LGBT individuals and veterans.

Lol. Fuck McCrory is such an asshat.

Wilsongt

Secretary of the Interior, plz

HylianTom

Banned

I want Energy, most def. One of our biggest challenges this century!

I would like to be the ambassador to the Federated States of Micronesia.

Vice Pres: B-Dubs
Press Sec: Beji
Sec. Treasury: Mamba
Sec. Interior: Wilson
Sec. Energy: HylianTom
UN Ambassador: Wilson
Fed Chairman: CCS
Micronesia Amb: Poodle

We need more, people. Who is our Secretary of State? Really important position!

I wanna be Secretary of State. Can I?

Folks, that Ted Cruz joke from the AI is legit the funniest political joke that I have heard in a long time.

Lorne Michaels should hire it for SNL's writers' room. Or hell, it could host the Daily Show instead of Trevor fucking Noah.

At the very least, it should be on the BBC's Big Fat Quiz show of 2016 and partnered with Russell Brand.
Are you talking about Tay? What was the joke?

Did Cruz really say that? Where is the source?

Wilsongt

UN Ambassador: Wilson

We need more, people. Who is our Secretary of State? Really important position!

UN Ambassador was Makai

I wanna be Secretary of State. Can I?

I was thinking of putting NYCMetsFan there.

Sec Transportation: Huckster
UN Ambassador: Makai

Thanks for pointing out my typo, Wilson.

I need something hilarious for Diablos.

Sianos

Secretary of Education for me so I can finally implement my plans for a ciriculum rooted in epistemology - with a priority of focusing on the trifecta of mathematics, logic, and rhetoric as a solid foundation.

My educational psychology background will finally be used for something useful!

Is secretary of Department of Homeland Security available

MAKE GAF GREAT AGAIN!

Sec. of State: NYCMets Fan
Sec of HomeSec: Rusty

Apologies to some of you, as I am looking at people who consistently post here...for now.

I don't know what I'd be.

Macho, I've been trying to figure where to put you.

Sec of Defense needs to be someone good with military tactics.

North Carolina needs to be chewed up and shat out several times over in the next few days. Twelve hours to stop any minimum wage increase, prevent transgedered individuals from using their gender restroom, and remove any protections for LGBT individuals and veterans.

Lol. Fuck McCrory is such an asshat.

My dream scenario is that McCrory is voted out, and the Democrats are able to win a razor thin majority in the General Assembly, because of record turnout of anti-Trump supporters. Democrats then push a referendum for 2018, that creates a nonpartisan commission for drawing congressional and state maps. The GOP return in 2018 to continue to wreck havoc for the remaining two years, but most are permanently voted out by 2022.

I honestly hope this happens in most states, or at least blue, purple, and light red states.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
MAKE GAF GREAT AGAIN!

Sec. of State: NYCMets Fan

Does this mean I get to spend all day drinking beer, listening to Foghat, washing a bitchin' Trans-Am, while occasionally selling weed and or getting into trouble with my buddy Worm as we chase the finest tail in town?

Also, LOL @ Poodle

Which cabinet position can be spent mostly watching cartoons?

'Cause I'll take whatever that one is.

I've already got that job.

Secretary of State has to be me

Actually, this makes sense.
Press Sec: Benji
Sec. of State: NeoXChaos

BTW, Solicitor General has to be Metamorpheous, right? And he'd have to argue on behalf of Pigeon's position. Bwahahaha.

Does this mean I get to spend all day drinking beer, listening to Foghat and washing a bitchin' Trans-Am (while occasionally selling weed and or getting into trouble with my buddy Worm)?

Also, LOL @ Poodle

I've already got that job.

I've got the best job on that list and you know it.

Does this mean I get to spend all day drinking beer, listening to Foghat and washing a bitchin' Trans-Am (while occasionally selling weed and or getting into trouble with my buddy Worm)?

Also, LOL @ Poodle

I made you VP because you'd both be a good person for Pigeon to lean on and because you would be a good attack dog, but at the same time I don't feel like you want to do any real work other than trolling when the campaign is over.

So yes, you get to do all of that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I made you VP because you'd both be a good person for Pigeon to lean on and because you would be a good attack dog, but at the same time I don't feel like you want to do any real work other than trolling when the campaign is over.

So yes, you get to do all of that.

I'm not sure how I should take all that :lol

Diablos as head of the EPA?

for the record, I lurk too much to be anyone important...maybe that staffer that holds the door for when someone enters the chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom