• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt that actually. Donors, yes, but I'm pretty sure that most GOP voters aren't fiscally conservative. Seniors make up a lot of GOP voters and they're not going to be happy with Cruz's tax plan at all.

If GOP voters aren't fiscally conservative, what are they? I've had -SEVERAL- conservatives tell me that they think taxation is immoral. Not that taxes are too high in their opinion or that we should lower taxes, but that taxing people is equivalent to slavery or rape. I don't think you talk to many GOP voters if you don't think they're fiscally conservative. They're by and large out of touch with reality and I mean that sincerely. I'd love to do a survey on how many of them think taxes have never been higher than they are now. I guarantee 60%+ of republican voters think Obama's tax rates are the highest in history. We're talking about people who genuinely think that owning a refrigerator means you're not poor.

Right.. no evidence at all.... enjoy your privileged skies where no drones fly and where your kids aren't being approached by terrorist recruiters.

How about the fact - that instead of stumping out terrorism the War on Terror has directly lead to this?

Like I've said when you have at best questionable intelligence and are operating in an already chaotic state - drones lead to instability. That instability, that fear leads to far more people being susceptible to radicalization. And we've seen it as country after country have fallen into chaos.

And yes you do sound like a cheerleader for drone strikes.
I don't think that holds in cases like Somalia where theyres been progress in creating stability while drone strikes have been ongoing.

Your post sounds like your making a moralistic argument, which is fine! Just make that instead of an argument about effectiveness which is at best a game of anecdotes.

Not a propaganda outlet:

Cecvc7ZWsAAenHH.jpg

FiggyCal

Banned
If GOP voters aren't fiscally conservative, what are they? I've had -SEVERAL- conservatives tell me that they think taxation is immoral. Not that taxes are too high in their opinion or that we should lower taxes, but that taxing people is equivalent to slavery or rape. I don't think you talk to many GOP voters if you don't think they're fiscally conservative. They're by and large out of touch with reality and I mean that sincerely. I'd love to do a survey on how many of them think taxes have never been higher than they are now. I guarantee 60%+ of republican voters think Obama's tax rates are the highest in history. We're talking about people who genuinely think that owning a refrigerator means you're not poor.

You might be surprised to find the people who think taxation is theft to be in the minority especially if they also think that government has any sort of responsibility, like securing borders or supplying armed forces.

I'd love to do a poll on the proportion of republicans who think we are going to fight a global war on Islam and that is what will lead to judgment day. But that's just for curiosity's sake because I know someone who actually believes that.

You might be surprised to find the people who think taxation is theft to be in the minority especially if they also think that government has any sort of responsibility, like securing borders or supplying armed forces.

I'd love to do a poll on the proportion of republicans who think we are going to fight a global war on Islam and that is what will lead to judgment day. But that's just for curiosity's sake because I know someone who actually believes that.

I don't doubt that people with that extreme of a view point are in the minority, but I guarantee that the number of republicans that would balk at Cruz's tax plan are probably roughly the number of republicans who are voting for John Kasich.

My theory of GOP voters is that they're racists and sexists who are willing to go along with tax cuts because they know their party will hurt black people and transgender people. Trump promising them the extreme bigotry without punishing taxes (and Trump's tax plan is trash, but less trash than Cruz's) would appeal to GOP voters I believe.

Libertarians are more intellectual than other conservatives and are more willing to engage in political debate. I think "taxation is theft!" is just selection bias.

Which is why I think this ad is terrible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBa2myLuFw4&feature=em-uploademail

noshten

I don't think that holds in cases like Somalia where theyres been progress in creating stability while drone strikes have been ongoing.

Your post sounds like your making a moralistic argument, which is fine! Just make that instead of an argument about effectiveness which is at best a game of anecdotes.

Somalia is used a base for drone operations, it's also by far the country with the least amount of drone strikes(less than 20 since 2007 according to unofficial estimates)

My theory of GOP voters is that they're racists and sexists who are willing to go along with tax cuts because they know their party will hurt black people and transgender people. Trump promising them the extreme bigotry without punishing taxes (and Trump's tax plan is trash, but less trash than Cruz's) would appeal to GOP voters I believe.

Libertarians are more intellectual than other conservatives and are more willing to engage in political debate. I think "taxation is theft!" is just selection bias.

But tax cuts are how they hurt black people and, frankly, anyone who's not a white straight male. Without tax cuts, you're missing an important piece of the racist platform.

We definitely need to be more judicious with drone strikes. Civilian casualties have to be regarded as a nonoption, and the scope of capture (rather than kill) ops should be expanded.

Las7 is right, at the moment overuse is doing far more harm than good.

I think support for the flat tax boils down to a few things:

1) The tax system is actually broken. It's overcomplicated and rewards the rich and powerful, and most people need accountants and tax software just to interpret it for them.

2) People are stupid and like simple solutions.

Sure there may be some inherent racism in there, but I think it's mainly about that.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/2...er-ted-cruz-and-the-media.html?_r=1&referrer=

Man, things have gotten so dark in just a year.

But tax cuts are how they hurt black people and, frankly, anyone who's not a white straight male. Without tax cuts, you're missing an important piece of the racist platform.

But tax increases on seniors? How does a tax policy that increases taxes massively on seniors hurt black people more than white people considering that white people live longer?

I think support for the flat tax boils down to a few things:

1) The tax system is actually broken. It's overcomplicated and rewards the rich and powerful, and most people need accountants and tax software just to interpret it for them.

2) People are stupid and like simple solutions.

Sure there may be some inherent racism in there, but I think it's mainly about that.

But republican arguments on taxes are almost always about how taxes are taken from Hard Working Americans® to benefit the filthy poors and never about how complicated our tax system is.

This is how republicans feel about taxes:

Makai

Maybe they like tax cuts because it's in their interest, all else equal. Huge tax savings for the poor under Ted's plan according to the Vox calculator. They still get the $1k even if somebody else gets $10k.

But tax increases on seniors? How does a tax policy that increases taxes massively on seniors hurt black people more than white people considering that white people live longer?

Republicans are either A) unaware of or B) would never admit that white people live longer than black people. This requires a complete reversal of the mindset that fuels the phrase "all lives matter", the hatred for affirmative action policies, and any argument using the term "race baiters". You're assuming a party that believes racism doesn't exist, climate change isn't real, and abortion is bad because God deems it so is a party that would value facts and statistics.

Maybe they like tax cuts because it's in their interest, all else equal. Huge tax savings for the poor under Ted's plan according to the Vox calculator. They still get the $1k even if somebody else gets $10k.

That's before they factor in the 19% sales tax. When you do that, you get:

Those in the bottom quintile would have their after-tax income lowered by 0.6 percent, while the top 0.1 percent of taxpayers would on average have their after-tax income increase by 23 percent. TPC Senior Research Associate Joseph Rosenberg said the bottom fifth of taxpayers would see tax increases because the VAT could be viewed as a 16-percent tax on wages and the VAT is higher than the current payroll taxes.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/269530-analysis-cruzs-tax-plan-would-raise-taxes-on-poorest

And that's before Cruz starts cutting Social Security benefits because he's running $2T a year deficits.

Makai

That's before they factor in the 19% sales tax. When you do that, you get:

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/269530-analysis-cruzs-tax-plan-would-raise-taxes-on-poorest

And that's before Cruz starts cutting Social Security benefits because he's running $2T a year deficits.
The 16% VAT is factored in. This is their source. http://taxpolicycenter.org/UploadedPDF/2000612-an-analysis-of-ted-cruzs-tax-plan.pdf

The VAT would raise $19.2 trillion over the decade, offsetting only 70 percent of the cost of the tax cuts.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

They really refuse to attack him from the left on any issue.

But republican arguments on taxes are almost always about how taxes are taken from Hard Working Americans® to benefit the filthy poors and never about how complicated our tax system is.

This is how republicans feel about taxes:

I think that's a separate issue about welfare. The welfare argument is overtly racist, but I think support of the flat tax is primarily just because of its simplicity (even though it's an incredibly stupid idea).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think that's a separate issue about welfare. The welfare argument is overtly racist, but I think support of the flat tax is primarily just because of its simplicity (even though it's an incredibly stupid idea).

The argument is it's simple and fair. However it ignores the concept of marginal utility which is not some made up idea. Basically, not all dollars earned are equal. Those first dollars are far more important, and should be taxed less.

Makai

I'm pretty sure it's not factored into the calculator because the pdf shows people in the bottom 60% barely benefiting and the bottom 20% actually being charged more in taxes.
That's after a decade. Negative change for everyone in 2017, and still pretty massive cuts for everyone but the bottom quintile, which only gets a $46 discount. Although, yeah...that's not what the calculator says. Not sure what Vox did.

Regardless, it's easy to see an anti-tax faction having a prominent place in the Republican coalition.

Suikoguy

Yes, I agree. That's the basis of progressive taxation.

You gotta remember that economics is not an exact science, but the disagreement tends to be over the degrees of effects rather than the effects.

It's ironic calling it the fair tax, since it's not that fair. Only on the surface for those unaware of economics.

In particular, collectors don't follow marginal utility very well, there are always exceptions ;)

Anyone who's arguing that drone strikes doesn't do more harm than good is goddamn fool. Even the people that pilot the thing are shown to suffer from it.

CCS

Banned
I had a lot of wine last night. I didn't even put vodka in it this time, so I don't know why I said that....

And now I want to throw up because of that picture. Thank you. Cheers.

I'm sorry babe :(

I can't help it if you're irrationally attracted to old Canadian men who want to cheat on their wives though :p

EDIT: Also, Jimmy Kimmel mansplaining to Hillary Clinton is legit hilarious.

I'm sorry babe :(

I can't help it if you're irrationally attracted to old Canadian men who want to cheat on their wives though :p

It's okay....I'm just too afraid to go back to sleep....

I do wish we had some polls for today's caucuses. I mean, Bernie's definitely going to win 2 out of 3 (probably all 3, to be honest). I just wish we knew the margins. : sigh :

I do wish we had some polls for today's caucuses. I mean, Bernie's definitely going to win 2 out of 3 (probably all 3, to be honest). I just wish we knew the margins. : sigh :

If I had to guess:

Alaska: 80-20 Bern. More or less in line with Idaho.

Washington: 70-30 Bern

Hawaii: 51-49 Bern

Maybe I'm underestimating Hawaii, idunno. That state is hard to read. It's immensely liberal, but also not very white.

CCS

Banned

Spoiler: Today is going to be one of those rare days when the results are flipped and Bernie is in the position of your Bernie Bro and Hillary is in your position :p

More seriously, the margins are going to be very good in isolation but not good enough in context. There you go, job done.

If I had to guess:

Alaska: 80-20 Bern. More or less in line with Idaho.

Washington: 70-30 Bern

Hawaii: 51-49 Bern

Maybe I'm underestimating Hawaii, idunno. That state is hard to read. It's immensely liberal, but also not very white.

If she wins anything, it will be Hawaii, but I don't have a read on it. I can rationalize either a Hillary win or a Bernie win. It all seems possible. Even if we gave Bernie a 20 point win in Hawaii, those numbers would give Bernie a gain of 56 delegates, which would keep her lead at about 240.

That would mean Bernie's best streak of states gave him a net of 90 delegates, or the same as what Hillary got in Tennessee and Texas...and it only took him 5 states to do it.

Spoiler: Today is going to be one of those rare days when the results are flipped and Bernie is in the position of your Bernie Bro and Hillary is in your position :p

More seriously, the margins are going to be very good in isolation but not good enough in context. There you go, job done.

Does that mean I have to top today? FUCK.

Loudninja

Yep no point in thinking about it it was always going to be this way.

I won't even be watching the results, so I'm going to live vicariously through all of you.

An extra 5 points in Washington would net her 10 additional delegates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom