• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
LOL! Trump isn't realigning anything! He's simply appealing to the voters that the GOP was already depending on.

Trump is NOT building some new coalition of racists that wasn't there. He's simply gotten them to the point where they aren't willing to compromise on a candidate that only gives lip service to the things they want.

I'd say he's at least reorganizing Republican priorities. For decades, social conservativism has been the bread and circuses used by the GOP to allow them to focus on the issues they care about -- neoliberal fiscal policy.

Trump has tapped into the frustration of voters who choose Republican candidates despite not getting any of the reactionary promises offered. Roe versus Wade has not been overturned, gay marriage is still the law of the land, and a black man is president. By focusing almost exclusively on social issues, Trump is winning voters who don't like the changes America is undergoing but care about much else.

I'd say he's at least reorganizing Republican priorities. For decades, social conservativism has been the bread and circuses used by the GOP to allow them to focus on the issues they care about -- neoliberal fiscal policy.

Trump has tapped into the frustration of voters who choose Republican candidates despite not getting any of the reactionary promises offered. Roe versus Wade has not been overturned, gay marriage is still the law of the land, and a black man is president. By focusing almost exclusively on social issues, Trump is winning voters who don't like the changes America is undergoing but care about much else.

Trump doesn't really focus on social issues. His entire focus is on saying all the racist shit the GOP has hinted at for years. He became popular because of "We're going to build a wall" and "Ban the Muslins." He's a racist, and that's his platform. He's co-opted some more populist economic messages that are a result of his relative isolationism.

Gallup has Obama's approval rating at 53/44. GET REKT SON!

Hillary 1265
Bernie 1039

+226 for Hillary.

(That's the projection from The Green Papers, which has been fairly accurate once all is said and done).

With Supers:

Hillary 1736
Bernie 1068.5

(And, yes, that is correct. Bernie has 1/2 of a SuperDelegate, because Democrats Abroad Superdelegates are only worth a 1/2 of a delegate. )

so how much did he net yesterday?

So good. I didn't vote in the midterms in 2010 but I won't make that mistake again...

i voted in the midterms in ohio in 2010 and literally everyone i supported lost

(and now the CDs are gerrymandered to such a ridiculous extent that i'm literally going to live across the street from the 15th district, in the "border gore" segment closest to the OSU campus)

Mhmm. These caucus states were basically Sanders' "South", so to speak. She just needs to keep the margin close in Wisconsin(10-15% is alright), then run up the margins in New York(15%+), Maryland(25-30%) and Pennsylvania(15%+) and she should be good.
I'd like her to win Wisconsin if she can.

It would lend credence to the notion that Bernie can only reliably win caucus states.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If more of you lazy non voters took advantage of vote by mail. Look at all the states you can do that WITHOUT even needing an excuse!

Wqmg1P6.png

It's so damn easy to vote in Florida, remarkably. So yes, I did vote in the midterms, and it was damn easy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If more of you lazy non voters took advantage of vote by mail. Look at all the states you can do that WITHOUT even needing an excuse!

Wqmg1P6.png

It's so damn easy to vote in Florida, remarkably. So yes, I did vote in the midterms, and it was damn easy.

Every state should have secure online voting. Guess which party will never let that happen?

Holmes

I'd like her to win Wisconsin if she can.

It would lend credence to the notion that Bernie can only reliably win caucus states.
Me too but I don't think it's possible. It's Wisconsin. If anything though, she should run against Scott Walker for the next week and a half. That might help some.

pigeon

Banned
Oh my God, Tesseract got banned. I can believe in a just world again.

you guys constantly quote things straight out of Blue Nation Review, yet can't stand trollers?

I have no idea what BNR is, and I don't see how these two statements have anything to do with each other. Tesseract's shitpost ratio is so high that if there were any actual non-shitposts it was impossible to tell because of the shit all over them. I don't see what a poster that does nothing but shitpost adds to any thread.

Zeke

Oh so you're a joke poster! Why didn't you say so! Republicans have run plenty of moderate republicans for the presidency. H.W. Bush in 88, Dole in 96, G.W. Bush in 2000 and 2004. All of them lost the black vote by ridiculous 92-8 margins to democrats. The view that the republican party is anti-black is SO ingrained into black voters that your actual blackness will come into question by voting republican. This is not a joke, this is a thing that happens. Black Voters are GONE.

The republican party actually USED to do quite well with latinos. GWB had about 40% of the hispanic vote and was notable for his outreach there. This was BEFORE the population explosion and susequent horrific racist language in response by the GOP. By 2012 Romney who by any measure is a moderate and not a racist only had 27%. It's going to be a lot lower this year and will keep on plummeting as republicans can't seem to stop doubling down on stupidity re: latinos.

Once you have been branded as catering to racists, it is not easy to turn that around. You may as well suggest republicans are going to win back the gay vote after trying everything they could to ban gay marriage nationwide.

Black voters are religious, but not socially conservative. Don't confuse the two. There is most certainly an anti-gay bias in that community that goes back to biblical reasons, but the comparison stops there.

oh please.

Some of us have been paying attention for more than five minutes, so we know these things. you may be interested to know that:

1.) The GOP's current hold on the house and senate goes back to the backlash of the 2010 elections, which won't be happening again. All current estimates have the GOP losing the senate this year and it will take a miracle for them to hold onto it.

2.) The supreme court would be democratic right now if not for mcconnell obstructing a nomination. No republican has been nominated to the bench in over ten years.

3.) the next census- which will determine how congressional districts are drawn- will take place in 2020 which is a presidential year, where democrats overperform. This will reverse a lot of the redistricting damage done in 2010, which was an off year where republicans overperformed.

You may want to study a bit more before you roll in and attempt to drop knowledge, son.
Really nailed it. Your point on black voters being socially I feel applies to Latino voters as well maybe not as strong. You will see it get stronger with more and more multigenerational families though.

Yeah; y'all are in wishful thinking land. A moderate republican who sticks to using just abortion and trans rights as their social conservatism (and moved to the left on racial issues) would rip the Latino and black vote from the Democrats before their heads could spin. People really forget that blacks / latinos are FAR more socially conservative than typical white progressives and most Democrats. In 2004, the same idea was floated except for the GOP. That was 12 years ago. Things change fast.

Yeah, this is nonsense.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Cybit, you think black voters will go to a GOP moderate after their party has shitted on them with dog whistle codewords for "nigger" for decades? You serious now?

If Nixon could invoke the Southern strategy and shift the entire demographics - I can't go around and say "Oh, black voters are officially locked into the Democrats for life". 20, 30 years is a long time. The realignment of the GOP that is going on is actually pretty much on cue - you get one every 40-50 years. I can't say that some kind of crazy realignment isn't set to happen again on the Dem side either, and maybe reasonably soon.

Oh so you're a joke poster! Why didn't you say so! Republicans have run plenty of moderate republicans for the presidency. H.W. Bush in 88, Dole in 96, G.W. Bush in 2000 and 2004. All of them lost the black vote by ridiculous 92-8 margins to democrats. The view that the republican party is anti-black is SO ingrained into black voters that your actual blackness will come into question by voting republican. This is not a joke, this is a thing that happens. Black Voters are GONE.

The republican party actually USED to do quite well with latinos. GWB had about 40% of the hispanic vote and was notable for his outreach there. This was BEFORE the population explosion and susequent horrific racist language in response by the GOP. By 2012 Romney who by any measure is a moderate and not a racist only had 27%. It's going to be a lot lower this year and will keep on plummeting as republicans can't seem to stop doubling down on stupidity re: latinos.

Once you have been branded as catering to racists, it is not easy to turn that around. You may as well suggest republicans are going to win back the gay vote after trying everything they could to ban gay marriage nationwide.

Black voters are religious, but not socially conservative. Don't confuse the two. There is most certainly an anti-gay bias in that community that goes back to biblical reasons, but the comparison stops there.

oh please.

Some of us have been paying attention for more than five minutes, so we know these things. you may be interested to know that:

1.) The GOP's current hold on the house and senate goes back to the backlash of the 2010 elections, which won't be happening again. All current estimates have the GOP losing the senate this year and it will take a miracle for them to hold onto it.

2.) The supreme court would be democratic right now if not for mcconnell obstructing a nomination. No republican has been nominated to the bench in over ten years.

3.) the next census- which will determine how congressional districts are drawn- will take place in 2020 which is a presidential year, where democrats overperform. This will reverse a lot of the redistricting damage done in 2010, which was an off year where republicans overperformed.

You may want to study a bit more before you roll in and attempt to drop knowledge, son.

OK, so let's take this point by point.

1) Black voters are gone...for now. I'm looking long-term - and parties generally undergo realignments every 50 years or so. The GOP is in the middle of their realignment it seems (Thanks Trump!), but the Dems are also probably set for a realignment themselves. Now - the realignment could very easily be shifting even further away from going after white voters and aiming for minority voters and hoping that current demographic trends hold (and that the US hits majority minority status in 2050 as currently predicted). That very well could be the Dem re-alignment. But in people's lifetimes, look at the african-american vote pre and post Nixon Southern Strategy. It's not inconceivable that a similar shift could go the other way in our lifetimes as well. That's why I put the comment about if this new GOP stuck to just abortion and gay/trans rights - since those are tied to the religious aspects more so than the other issues. Now, if you are correct and the GOP feels they have to keep dog-whistling bullshit racism in order to keep white conservative voters in line? Yeah, then you can more or less kiss the black vote goodbye. (but, unfortunately, as GWB proved, you don't need the Af-Am vote to win a GE in this country).

Aside: Fun link regarding percentages of voters: http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/presidential-elections/2012-presidential-election/ - you can see earlier elections as well. Kind of cool to see how trends develop/

(Also, the point about being black and voting republican and having your blackness called into question is hilariously true)

2) Latinos did used to go for the GOP in pretty recent history. Now, if the GOP continues to hilariously self-destruct w/r/t Trump - then yes, things are not going to get better soon. But, lets say that a) Trump doesn't get the nomination due to convention shenanigans, or b) the conservatives run a 3rd party candidate (Romney / etc) to say "hey, Trump doesn't represent us" - both of which are not surprising potential outcomes - a Post-Trump GOP will have a fair amount of cover to eventually start working their ways back to getting a decent proportion of the Latino vote.

Jeb has shown decently good (past) numbers with Latino, and seeing as how fast the GOP managed to lose Latinos, it is just as possible to regain their status should they stop shooting themselves in the foot - which a crushing loss in 2016 might do. Look at what McGovern did for the entire Democratic party to this day. A similar kind of ideological crushing in 2016 could revamp the conservative movement similarly (especially if said loss leads to SCOTUS being set as liberal for the forseeable future).

3) I think gay voters are mostly gone to the Dems; barring an epic failure on the Dems part or a massive shift on the GOP side towards gay rights - none of which I can easily see coming done.

4) The idea of the GOP permanent majority was that you'd make the GOP the "Christian" party functionally. Now, what did them in is that as much as GWB promised social conservatism based off of Christianity, he mostly just catered to the elites in Washington, which pissed many of those social conservatives off (which then, led to Trump promptly ripping the GOP apart on that specific seam). If the GOP were to re-try and succeed on the idea of being the "Christian" party - they could pull a decent amount of the black vote if they did it correctly. It'd be hard, for sure. But it's definitely not impossible, and if the Dems ended up with a demagogue on their end who was fixated on non racial issues - it would be an opening.

There is also an age vs race issue - we know voters get more conservative as they get older (especially 60+), but a lot of black voters in that time frame have had Clinton + Obama to vote for. While Kerry did get a really good percentage of the vote two, I'd like a non-Clinton (aka, the first black president) or Obama (the actual first black president) or two to sustain said 60+ year old Af-Am vote before I start banking on it. :D

5) Yes - the Dems got hosed in the 2010 census because it happened to be the first election after a Dem president took office, and we know that mid-term elections generally swing (in non-war situations) towards the party that doesn't control the presidency. While 2020 offers some relief towards that in that it is a presidential election - as even some of Obama's folks have pointed out (see Channel 33 podcasts with two of Obama's folks) - a historically stronger factor is voter fatigue towards a party in power for four presidential elections. Let's assume that Clinton wins the presidency (I think a reasonable assumption, even with Trump's unpredictability). It would be the first time since 1952 that EDIT: The Democratic party won 3 in a row. It's really, really hard to stay in power that long, and if we didn't have the GOP lighting itself on fire and jumping out a window, I don't think we'd be winning. 4 in a row? Gonna be even crazier, especially if we don't have a strong economic recovery of some kind.

Also, this also assumes SCOTUS doesn't crush the whole process entirely and force all redistricting to be done via non-partisan committees (there have been a few cases in front of SCOTUS already, and there is a reasonable chance that by 2020, SCOTUS has nuked the current partisan redistricting entirely (see: http://redistricting.lls.edu/)

6) SCOTUS comes down to more or less dumb luck and when folks retire. The dems have an unprecedented opportunity to stack SCOTUS - but there are potential significant long-term political consequences to having SCOTUS rulings over actually working the process legislatively (see abortion and Texas). I am going to assume that Scalia's replacement ends up being center / left of center, though.

7) I assume Senate goes Dem in 2016, but I also assume per normal mid-term patterns, that Senate ends up going GOP in 2018 if Clinton wins the presidency. (Ze Mid-Term curse)

Basically, it comes down to a simple question on the GOP side. Is Trump an outlier, or a predictor of the future?

EDIT: Y'all are right in that saying that the black vote would be "ripped away" is a poor choice of words (and wrong based on those words). By "ripped away", I mean "15-20% of black voters vote GOP, as opposed to the normal 5-10% we are currently seeing". I think a heavily focused evangelical not blatantly fucking racist GOP campaign could pull that off in the foreseeable future.

Bernie is now dragging The Cloon into the fight
The Vermont senator also kept up his attack on Clinton for her attending a fundraiser hosted by George and Amal Clooney, with a price tag of more than $353,000 per couple to sit at the head table.

The problem, Sanders said, is "not Clooney, it's the people coming to this event."

"I have a lot of respect for George Clooney. He's a great actor. I like him. But this is the problem with American politics, is that big money is dominating our political system," Sanders said.

He said his campaign's events, even with big-name headliners, usually cost "$15 or $50" to get into.

"So it's not a criticism of Clooney," he said. "It's a criticism of a corrupt campaign finance system, where big money interests -- and it's not Clooney, it's the people coming to this event -- have undue influence on the political process."

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That George Clooney line of attack really makes no sense. When you have to spend more time defending the person you are attacking then the attack itself, why even try?

\/ \/

and cartoon_soldier nails it.

How does Sanders expect to get anything done without fundraising for downticket races?

Kyosaiga

Banned
can you get dlm8r to get management to make a proposal to the gov?

It's sickening that USA doesn't have secure online voting in 2016

You would have to spend years trying to convince people that online voting is safe, secure, and free from potential rigging.

It's an extremely uphill battle to climb.

Suikoguy

This has been popping up on the Bernie side of Twitter for me lately. Didn't think he'd actually go in on it though

Meh

Well, after continuing that lawsuit for no logical reason whatsoever, nothing surprises me about decisions he and his campaign make.

I'd love for George to call bullshit on Sanders over twitter. Point out how important voting and down-ticket elections are. Clooney has done a fuckton more than the average celebrity with his status, and to even tangentially bring him into this is stupid.

Clooney is not going to say anything. Media sucks here for not pointing out that it is not a Hillary campaign fundraiser.

Oh god, even worse!
Continue attacking the DNC Sanders, will work wonders for your Superdelegate strat.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'm p. sure that Cybit is a Republican who pretends to be a Democrat.

In B4 "echo chamber"

Lol, you can call me racist towards Asians before calling me a republican and the first would offend me less. :p

I am asian, lol

The 2000 / 2004 / 2008 elections are the big political moments in my life - so I'm always super duper paranoid about assuming victory, especially because I've seen so much change even just between GHWB to 2012 Obama to even now. So it bugs the crap out of me when people see the current situation and assume it will apply even 10 years from now.

EDIT: Actually, I don't know if this will illuminate things any better about my background - but basically my formational political moments have been

a) GHWB breaks the ice with India post Cold War
b) Columbine (was in HS), as well as the Jack Thompson bullshit w/r/t video games
c) 9/11 to Operation Enduring Freedom to Operation Iraqi Freedom (grew up in a town where many folks go to the military, and my parents came to the US after living near the border between Pakistan and India)
d) Working for The BAMF from 2003-2004, off and on between 2005-2007, and then heavily 2007-2008.
e) Majority of my free time is spent working now a days for The Innocence Project (shameless fucking plug: http://www.innocenceproject.org/)

Things have changed so freaking fast even in the last 16 years (from GWB's initial victory to what appears to be heading towards an HRC beatdown of the GOP candidate) that I always worry we will get too complacent. Politics and the world changes super fast - two years ago the idea of a crazy demagogue like Trump being the GOP frontrunner would have been unthinkable. So when folks talk about "Democratic permanent majorities", I remember that not 12 years ago, the GOP was reasonably talking about "GOP permanent majorities", and a lot of people believed that could be a thing. So it seems..insane to me that people are going down that route.

Fundamentally, I believe Trump to be a) an outlier and b) the cause of your normally scheduled party re-organization. I have to also assume that the Dem re-organization is also coming, probably when (inevitably) we lose a couple of presidential elections in a row.

EDIT: Also, why the hell is Sanders even bringing up the Clooney thing? There are a thousand other ways you can bring up big money influencing politics rather than bringing up someone who has immeasurably helped the Democratic Party and fought for humanitarian causes most of his life? WTF?

You would have to spend years trying to convince people that online voting is safe, secure, and free from potential rigging.

It's an extremely uphill battle to climb.

Yep yep, but it's a necessity nonetheless for a functioning democracy (imo). Definitely acknowledge the difficulties, I think we all remember the aca rollout debacle.

One of the better things Obama has done has brought technology evolutions to the fed government (at least from my lay perspective, not any sources off-hand for what I recall)

royalan

Bernie is now dragging The Cloon into the fight

This is just plain fucking dumb.

I completely understand not wanting corporate money and corporate interests tied to campaign finance. But that is completely different from a rich person donating a lot of money to a cause with no stipulations because they're rich and have the money.

I mean, the rich paying more...isn't that basically what his tax plan is?

Holmes

Sanders has always hated the rich and the class system that disproportionately hurts the lower income. To him it's black and white. Rich people can do no good. It's in his rhetoric. The same stump speech he always gives.

pigeon

Banned
I'm p. sure that Cybit is a Republican who pretends to be a Democrat.

In B4 "echo chamber"

I believe Cybit has experience in professional politics, with the benefits and drawbacks that entails. Mostly benefits in a thread like this, probably!

I think the argument there has spiraled a bit. I would say, like we can all agree on this:

* The GOP is clearly in the middle of a cataclysmic realignment.
* That realignment has not yet affected them below the Presidential level yet. That's not too weird -- remember that we had a Democratic Speaker of the House for all eight years of Reagan's administration.
* But it's obviously extremely hard for them to compete for the Presidency and if they do win it they will have a lot of trouble implementing policies or governing in general because of the disintegrated nature of their coalition.
* The whole point of "realignment" is that eventually the GOP will find a new alignment that allows them to be competitive at the Presidential level again.
* But it might take a while.

More controversially, I would say:

* I don't expect the Democrats to do a bunch of realignment in response because we already did one -- the Obama coalition is the result of the last Democratic realignment towards intersectionality. The GOP is realigning because that coalition is ascendant.
* When the GOP does win elections it will do so by splitting part of the Democratic coalition, which probably means finding a way to win (some of, not a majority of) women, minority voters, the youth, or GLBT.
* I think realignments are somewhat generational in nature. I think that the GOP isn't going to win any black voters around today for a long time. But every four years we make new voters, and if the GOP starts tacking hard now, in 8 years they can be shaving votes off of Latinos, Asians, Muslims, and even black people. That's just how politics works.

Kyosaiga

Banned
This is just plain fucking dumb.

I completely understand not wanting corporate money and corporate interests tied to campaign finance. But that is completely different from a rich person donating a lot of money to a cause with no stipulations because they're rich and have the money.

I mean, the rich paying more...isn't that basically what his tax plan is?

I think Bernie has personal contempt for Wall Street and the 1%.

There's no way it's just political.

ivysaur12

Banned
I would understand Sanders's line of attack more if Hillary was doing a fundraiser for her PAC for her campaign, but wasn't this for downballot Dems? So then who cares?

Oh my God, Tesseract got banned. I can believe in a just world again.

I have no idea what BNR is, and I don't see how these two statements have anything to do with each other. Tesseract's shitpost ratio is so high that if there were any actual non-shitposts it was impossible to tell because of the shit all over them. I don't see what a poster that does nothing but shitpost adds to any thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0GPkMGf4es

1) Black voters are gone...for now. I'm looking long-term - and parties generally undergo realignments every 50 years or so. The GOP is in the middle of their realignment it seems (Thanks Trump!), but the Dems are also probably set for a realignment themselves. Now - the realignment could very easily be shifting even further away from going after white voters and aiming for minority voters and hoping that current demographic trends hold (and that the US hits majority minority status in 2050 as currently predicted). That very well could be the Dem re-alignment. But in people's lifetimes, look at the african-american vote pre and post Nixon Southern Strategy. It's not particularly inconceivable that a similar shift could go the other way in our lifetimes as well. That's why I put the comment about if this new GOP stuck to just abortion and gay/trans rights - since those are tied to the religious aspects more so than the other issues.

(Also, the point about being black and voting republican and having your blackness called into question is hilariously true)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say re: Nixon. Pre civil rights act, most black voters were republican because republicans were the party of lincoln and composed of a lot of abolitionists. That ended in the 60s when the dixiecrats broke away from the democratic party and joined southern republicans. Black voters have consistently gone where the racists weren't, and this is going to be the democratic party until all of us are dead because of the way the democratic party has built their coalitions. With a republican party in the position it's in, trump or not they have to do "nothing" to win elections. They'll rack up victories by default.

2) Latinos did used to go for the GOP in pretty recent history. Now, if the GOP continues to hilariously self-destruct w/r/t Trump - then yes, things are not going to get better soon. But, lets say that a) Trump doesn't get the nomination due to convention shenanigans, or b) the conservatives run a 3rd party candidate (Romney / etc) to say "hey, Trump doesn't represent us" - both of which are not surprising potential outcomes - a Post-Trump GOP will have a fair amount of cover to eventually start working their ways back to getting a decent proportion of the Latino vote.

Jeb has shown decently good (past) numbers with Latino, and seeing as how fast the GOP managed to lose Latinos, it is just as possible to regain their status should they stop shooting themselves in the foot - which a crushing loss in 2016 might do.

Lets take this in two points. first, yes the GOP did well with latinos as recently as 2000- if losing them to democrats 40/60 is "doing well." The self destruction with latinos is not a recent invention by Trump. It's been going on for more than a decade as the latino population expanded and the border states went into panic. Arpaio was being paraded around as a national hero. Conservative gun nuts were running to the border to "patrol" it themselves to keep the mexicans out. Arizona passed crazy racial profiling laws to crack down on hispanics. NONE of this went unnoticed by latinos.

Trump did not invent this. He simply said outright what the party establishment had been tacitly endorsing and dancing around with coded language.

I agree that Jeb! was absolutely trying to repair the damage and he got dismantled for it. The base simply was not interested in anyone who wanted to reach out to hispanics. It doesn't take much searching to find people roasting jeb for having a hispanic wife! Can't trust what HE says, he's a mexican lover!

Minorities aren't blind, friend. We see this and we know EXACTLY what kind of party the GOP is. "Dog Whistle" has always been a misnomer, because it implies that only racists would understand the messaging. Minorities understand it just fine. "Dog whistling" has always simply been to give "moderate" republicans a plausible excuse for endorsing racist messaging.

There is also an age vs race issue - we know voters get more conservative as they get older (especially 60+), but a lot of black voters in that time frame have had Clinton + Obama to vote for. While Kerry did get a really good percentage of the vote two, I'd like a non-Clinton (aka, the first black president) or Obama (the actual first black president) or two to sustain said 60+ year old Af-Am vote before I start banking on it.

That actually isn't true. Political preferences tend to ossify in your early 20s and stay there.

Generations1.jpg

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/07/09/the-politics-of-american-generations-how-age-affects-attitudes-and-voting-behavior/

As the chart shows, go back to the 2000 and 2004 elections and the greatest generation that came of age under FDR tended to vote democratic, not republican. Subsequent generations that came of age under eisenhower/truman/ford/reagan trend republican in their voting preferences. The sole exception being those that came of age under president nixon's administration and the watergate scandal. Right now we're looking at a vast amount of millenials that are came of age during an obama administration and a GOP that is completely unhinged. This is not going to change as they get older, those voters will likely remain lifelong democrats- again because it is VERY difficult to change perceptions once they ossify. The GOP is branded the racist lunatic party and that's how it's going to stay for millenials.

5) Yes - the Dems got hosed in the 2010 census because it happened to be the first election after a Dem president took office, and we know that mid-term elections generally swing (in non-war situations) towards the party that doesn't control the presidency. While 2020 offers some relief towards that in that it is a presidential election - as even some of Obama's folks have pointed out (see Channel 33 podcasts with two of Obama's folks) - a historically stronger factor is voter fatigue towards a party in power for four presidential elections. Let's assume that Clinton wins the presidency (I think a reasonable assumption, even with Trump's unpredictability). It would be the first time since 1952 that a party won 3 in a row. It's really, really hard to stay in power that long, and if we didn't have the GOP lighting itself on fire and jumping out a window, I don't think we'd be winning. 4 in a row? Gonna be even crazier, especially if we don't have a strong economic recovery of some kind.

you're making the classic error of "clearly X thing is going to happen because that's what typically happens" without considering context. The democrats are positioned to win presidential elections going forward and KEEP winning them because the share of the white vote is declining and they have an irreversible lock on the minority vote. You want to explain how clinton loses 2020 with an electoral college map? barring an economic disaster there's no plausible way she loses, just as there isn't this year.

6) SCOTUS comes down to more or less dumb luck and when folks retire. The dems have an unprecedented opportunity to stack SCOTUS - but there are potential significant long-term political consequences to having SCOTUS rulings over actually working the process legislatively (see abortion and Texas). I am going to assume that Scalia's replacement ends up being center / left of center, though.

SCOTUS comes down to who the president is when a nominee retires. Obama has had the last 8 years, and its extremely likely democrats maintain the presidency for the forseeable future as the GOP is no longer viable in national elections- unless they can somehow figure out a way to leverage 80+% of white voters to vote for them.

I don't know how true is that. Like does he also hate Bill Gates for his foundation? I think he just took a cheap shot at Hillary in order to drive his narrative that she's rich, out of touch like her millionaire friends.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

I personally believe this too. Even as someone who is nominally a Sanders supporter over Clinton (but I'm voting Dem regardless) - there's something personal here.

I would understand Sanders's line of attack more if Hillary was doing a fundraiser for her PAC for her campaign, but wasn't this for downballot Dems? So then who cares?

When you have a hammer, everything is a nail.

Somewhere in a GOP oppo file there's the handwritten record of a disastrous job interview Bernie Sanders had with Goldman Sachs in 1964.

I legit LOL'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom