• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingkitty

Great night for Bernie. Hillary still got more delegates for the night. And Bernie is behind by 200+. But optics wise, Hillary suffered at least 1st degree bern.

royalan

Have polls for Ohio weighed independents similarly to Michigan? Is Ohio also an open primary? Because that seems to be where all the pollsters gaffed from what I'm looking at.

Personally, I think it's more likely she'll win Ohio than not, but MI showed that the state is probably not going to just come to her. She'll need to criss-cross that state like she did SC.

NeoXChaos

Have polls for Ohio weighed independents similarly to Michigan? Is Ohio also an open primary? Because that seems to be where all the pollsters gaffed from what I'm looking at.

Personally, I think it's more likely she'll win Ohio than not, but MI showed that the state is probably not going to just come to her. She'll need to criss-cross that state like she did SC.

idk. You don't need to in FL since its closed. The res are semi-open or open.

Kyosaiga

Banned
It's gonna be a looooong week.

Fuck me.

Any bets on the next plot twist of this election? house of Cards ain't got shit on 2016

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's nothing funny about a Trump win >_<

Is Trump an HONEST racist sexist pig? That's the question. People are so pissed off today. Trump turnout is just unbelievable.

I can't believe we've gone from Obama to Trump dominating the headlines for a Presidential election. What is happening to this country?
We are sending a message!!!!

Bowdz

Jesus Christ, the Diablosing is fierce in here this morning. What has fundamentally changed over night? The polls in Michigan were horribly off. Bernie outperformed his polls in a region that intuitively seemed like it would be advantageous to him. That's it. Just like after Iowa and New Hampshire, the Clinton campaign will have to figure out what when wrong and will become a better campaign in the end. It is good to challenge Clinton in the rust belt now, because Trump certainly will.

Also, look back to posts made in the AM yesterday. We were all praying Trump had a good night because of all his negatives in the general. Flash forward 13 hours where the only change is Bernie OVERPERFORMING his polls in one state and people are acting like Clinton is going to get routed by Trump. What the fuck? This is going to be a long general...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jesus Christ, the Diablosing is fierce in here this morning. What has fundamentally changed over night? The polls in Michigan were horribly off. Bernie outperformed his polls in a region that intuitively seemed like it would be advantageous to him. That's it. Just like after Iowa and New Hampshire, the Clinton campaign will have to figure out what when wrong and will become a better campaign in the end. It is good to challenge Clinton in the rust belt now, because Trump certainly will.

Also, look back to posts made in the AM yesterday. We were all praying Trump had a good night because of all his negatives in the general. Flash forward 13 hours where the only change is Bernie OVERPERFORMING his polls in one state and people are acting like Clinton is going to get routed by Trump. What the fuck? This is going to be a long general...

Not me. Trump is da god king. Rubio tho. Lololol.

But it's easier to panic.. Panicking is fun.

Kyosaiga

Banned

People rationally know you're right it's just they have to endure another week of delusional bullshit that they get tired of. It's all about the optics man.

Adding to how important this election is...well yeah.

I won't feel comfortable until I see HRC being sworn in by Roberts

Brinbe

I really want her to over-perform next Tuesday, if only to see the pathetic media desperately backtrack and try to explain things after they freaked out last night.

At the very least, the Clinton campaign shouldn't take the polling for granted, especially in places like OH/MO.

And that's the frustrating thing about the media's need for a horserace. Optics and bullshit like momentum mean more than MATH and REALITY. You have these pundits and newscasters going, she had a big night, came out with more delegates and is still likely to be the nominee... BUT Bernie had this huge upset victory and omg huge problems for Hillary!!!!

It's because of expectations/polling, which she really had no control over. If Bernie had the polling Hillary had in MI and underperformed, what would people be saying about a 2% win?

royalan

I really want her to over-perform next Tuesday, if only to see the pathetic media desperately backtrack and try to explain things after they freaked out last night.

At the very least, the Clinton campaign shouldn't take the polling for granted, especially in places like OH/MO

Agreed.

It might also be time for her to spend a bit more cash.

From what I understand, she's raised more money overall, but he's still outspending her?

Bowdz

I won't feel comfortable until I see HRC being sworn in by Roberts

I can agree there.

People also need to keep in mind that pollsters are going to be wrongdrom time to time. It happens. This was a statistically significant failure, but hopefully it will help them get better over this cycle just like Bernie is helping Clinton get better.

We can't get complacent, but don't lose sight of the bigger picture people. Besides, the Bernie supporters had to listen to us Clinton fans beat the inevitability drum for two weeks. It's their turn for a little gloating. Nothing wrong with that.

NeoXChaos

can the polling be wrong in those 15th? sure but they also could be right. Most of the polling has been really good on the D and R side aside from a few blips.

Tarkus

I think MI results are quite alarming for Hillary and Democrats in general.

-Traditional polling is going to the wayside. If a MI-style upset happens 1-2 more times at least then I think that would be a forgone conclusion but really we're heading in that direction regardless. FIX YOUR SHIT POLLSTERS.

-Hillary has a problem connecting with voters. Younger voters, rust belt workers, independents... it's quite concerning to me. I think if she wins the nom she'll have a hard time getting key demographics to really turn out for her where she needs them.

-After last night I don't blame Bernie for wanting to stick around. The problem is the Democrats don't have the luxury of dragging this out like they did in 2008 because the Republicans are way more energized this time around after 8 years of Obama; the dynamic is different. I fear that by dragging this out for too long, Democrats will take away time that should be spent on attacking Trump/GOP.

-WE ARE UNDERESTIMATING TRUMP. He's getting crossover votes. Are some from Democrats just trying to throw a wrench in the mix? Sure. Not all of them are though. This is why we need to be careful what we wish for. We've been hoping that Trump wins becuase we assume he'd be so easy to beat, but really, this guy is getting ridiculous turnout and again seems to have crossover appeal. He won in HAWAII for fuck's sake. Hawaii! Are you kidding me? To echo Chris Christie, as much as I hate to, Hillary knows the game well and would tear Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and really even Jeb to shreds. I think she'd give Kasich a tough fight too. What she isn't groomed to do, however, is go up against a guy like Trump who basically is breaking all the rules and not only getting away with it, but getting awarded for it by getting closer and closer to the nomination by the day. To that point, I worry about Hillary's GE chances in states like MI and OH. Possibly PA but I doubt it.

I really am starting to question Hillary's electability and for once might be buying Trump's argument that he can make progress in places with people that Democrats typically win over.
Saving this post to explain what diablosing is next time someone asks. However, I've been saying this all along.

PPP Ohio poll, which showed Clinton +20 or so, has similar Indie representation as 2008 primary.
AA vote is at 21% in that vs. 18% in 2008 exits.

But, big change is that 2008 exit had 17-44 age at 44% while PPP has it at 38%

teiresias

At the very least, the Clinton campaign shouldn't take the polling for granted, especially in places like OH/MO.

And that's the frustrating thing about the media's need for a horserace. Optics and bullshit like momentum mean more than MATH and REALITY. You have these pundits and newscasters going, she had a big night, came out with more delegates and is still likely to be the nominee... BUT Bernie had this huge upset victory and omg huge problems for Hillary!!!!

It's because of expectations/polling, which she really had no control over. If Bernie had the polling Hillary had in MI and underperformed, what would people be saying about a 2% win?

If anything, given that the Clinton camp was desperately trying to temper expectations for MI ahead of yesterday, I think it's likely that they had internal numbers that told a far more realistic picture than anything we saw. So I'm a bit confident that whatever they are deciding to do, strategy and campaign-wise, moving forward is based on at least better data than we're seeing publicly. I think more cynical results projections are already baked into their current strategy moving forward. I mean, after what went down in 2008, the entire strategy was likely based around the most cynical numbers possible anyway.

Splendor

Maybe some of us need to take a walk or something to calm ourselves down, but the biggest storyline out of last night for me personally is not Bernie winning Michigan (good for him btw), but rather a failing of predictions. Logically I cannot envision that a 21 point swing happened for no reason 3 days before the vote, therefore something was wrong with polling methodology.
From what I have been reading, Michigan is diverse enough to be hard to poll and polling places have not had much experience polling them in recent years, which lead to this botch of the century leading up to the primary. Therefore, going into the future we should look at states that have a similar polling history to Michigan and look at those polls with a curious eye.

Also the fact that bernie is still way behind his delegate count makes me feel bad for everyone that is claiming this as his biggest win ever. If this is his peak, this race is over sonner than you think.

Maybe some of us need to take a walk or something to calm ourselves down, but the biggest storyline out of last night for me personally is not Bernie winning Michigan (good for him btw), but rather a failing of predictions. Logically I cannot envision that a 21 point swing happened for no reason 3 days before the vote, therefore something was wrong with polling methodology.
From what I have been reading, Michigan is diverse enough to be hard to poll and polling places have not had much experience polling them in recent years, which lead to this botch of the century leading up to the primary. Therefore, going into the future we should look at states that have a similar polling history to Michigan and look at those polls with a curious eye.

Also the fact that bernie is still way behind his delegate count makes me feel bad for everyone that is claiming this as his biggest win ever. If this is his peak, this race is over sonner than you think.

We want it to be put to bed, time to start framing Republicans and GOP and stop worrying about defending NAFTA.

Kyosaiga

Banned
I didn't just want Hillary to win the nomination I want it to be a complete blowout.

I won't have my wish, unfortunately.

HylianTom

Banned
Speaking of NAFTA, here's SNL's take on it back in 1993. For many voters, I can see how it would hit right in the gut. I watched it this morning and was taken aback at how damn well it holds-up.

(And the really crude Mexican stereotype would fit perfectly with a Trump general campaign. That piñata!)
140207_2724310_Mexican_Stereotype_anvver_3.jpg

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mexican-stereotype/n10486

Effect

Qunnipac

FL

Hillary 62
Bernie 32

OH
Hillary 52
Bernie 43

Here's hoping people get out and vote and not take part in any of the BS they did last night by trying to mess with the republican side.

So how bad are the morning shows talking about or playing up Hillary's lost in MI yesterday? Focusing on the delegate math or is it "dead heat" nonsense?

Ohio is open. I'm an Independent that normally votes Democratic, but will be voting for Trump on Tuesday.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Is the Michigan loss for Hilary as big a deal as CNN is making it to be, or are they just pitching a more exciting story? The percentage wasn't by much and I read that independents push Bernie up. But I read Michigan is largely a Red state to begin with?

It's very confusing to a noob. orz

I can do this too!

And i quite enjoy the fact that you refrain from doing so, my friend.

I think MI results are quite alarming for Hillary and Democrats in general.

-Traditional polling is going to the wayside. If a MI-style upset happens 1-2 more times at least then I think that would be a forgone conclusion but really we're heading in that direction regardless. FIX YOUR SHIT POLLSTERS.

-Hillary has a problem connecting with voters. Younger voters, rust belt workers, independents... it's quite concerning to me. I think if she wins the nom she'll have a hard time getting key demographics to really turn out for her where she needs them.

-After last night I don't blame Bernie for wanting to stick around. The problem is the Democrats don't have the luxury of dragging this out like they did in 2008 because the Republicans are way more energized this time around after 8 years of Obama; the dynamic is different. I fear that by dragging this out for too long, Democrats will take away time that should be spent on attacking Trump/GOP.

I really am starting to question Hillary's electability and for once might be buying Trump's argument that he can make progress in places with people that Democrats typically win over.

There is a very easy and obvious way to fix these weaknesses of hers.... Coincidentally, it would also instantly take Bern out of the race. Just sayian.

Cheebo

Banned
I hate the media narrative is now that "March 15th changes everything!!!". I mean Politico claimed it will be Trumps "ultimate test".

You can tell they are already hyping it that if Marco wins Florida (his home state!) he is somehow the comeback kid and has destroyed Trump.

Oltsu

Banned
After reading some articles about the GOP elites maybe embracing Cruz I have to say that I underestimated how strong their fear of Trump actually is. I would have thought that by now they'd be in the acceptance stage and possibly crafting a GE strategy.

But no, they're doing everything they can to hurt their most likely nominee. Wouldn't have guessed that the neocons and donors were that desperate to keep 100% of the party agenda for themselves.

After reading some articles about the GOP elites maybe embracing Cruz I have to say that I underestimated how strong their fear of Trump actually is. I would have thought that by now they'd be in the acceptance stage and possibly crafting a GE strategy.

But no, they're doing everything they can to hurt their most likely nominee. Wouldn't have guessed that the neocons and donors were that desperate to keep 100% of the party agenda for themselves.

Just like the democrats! :D

NeoXChaos

I hate the media narrative is now that "March 15th changes everything!!!". I mean Politico claimed it will be Trumps "ultimate test".

You can tell they are already hyping it that if Marco wins Florida (his home state!) he is somehow the comeback kid and has destroyed Trump.

You told us Hillary had it in the bag. Seems like the polls were wrong.

Cheebo

Banned
You told us Hillary had it in the bag. Seems like the polls were wrong.

I wonder how many others were like me and saw the endless stream of Hillary up 15-20 points consistently in Michigan and voted Sanders just as tip of the hat to the hard left assuming Hillary had it in the bag.

Is the Michigan loss for Hilary as big a deal as CNN is making it to be, or are they just pitching a more exciting story? The percentage wasn't by much and I read that independents push Bernie up. But I read Michigan is largely a Red state to begin with?

It's very confusing to a noob. orz

Michigan's been blue since '92.

Cheebo

Banned
Republicans dominate our state at the local and state level however sadly. Our state Democratic Party is a complete joke and we seem to be unable to nominate winnable candidates for the big statewide races.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Voting for Bernie at this point doesn't hurt Hillary. In fact, this loss will only help her in the general if you consider what likely contributed to her loss last night:
Ruby Cramer &#8207;@rubycramer 26m26 minutes ago Florida, USA
Clinton had small state staff, parachuted people in late. Field op didn't kick in til about one week out, mostly focused on AA community
View conversation 41 retweets 36 likes

Kyle Kondik Retweeted
Ruby Cramer &#8207;@rubycramer 28m28 minutes ago Florida, USA
From source familiar w/ Clinton Mich operation: loss came down to org fail, taking structural advantages for granted, moving on too soon.
Hillary supporters, stop diablosing: you can afford the L. Primaries strengthen candidates, right?

Oltsu

Banned
So are people still thinking Castro for VP? Because looking at Hillary's weaknesses and the most likely GE opponent (Trump) I'd say that makes no sense.

pls. DWS is doing a great PR job for hillary, no need to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom