• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
The Clinton's are worth over 100 million dollars and she has the entire democratic machine behind her. Almost all mainstream media outlets take her side over Sanders. All while consistently flip flopping on lots of major issues and said/done right-wing things for 20 years. Not sure how anyone can portray her as a a victim who can't catch a break.

We must be watching entirely different races from entirely different universes.

Can we stop the sanders vs hillary hate (both have their sore points, both are infinitely better than trump). Do you see this rally? This is absurd.

No, that's fucking bullshit. Let's be fucking real here for a second: He's appealing to young college kids who literally have no idea how change is made in this country, who've all basically hopped on the bandwagon and their knowledge of government stops at 7th grade civics class, if that.

He's a fucking bandwagon candidate, with no nuance, no idea of fiscal policy, no idea of foreign policy and quite frankly, he's a fucking hack and liar. Why? He's been in Congress for decades, he should KNOW that his plans are completely and utterly DOA, yet he acts as if he can do it, and anyone who disagrees with him is an establishment shill. That's demagoguery. And demagogues have no place in the White House.

Good lord. If college kids are the majority of people under the age of 45 then hey, sure.

Kyosaiga

Banned
Can we stop the sanders vs hillary hate (both have their sore points, both are infinitely better than trump). Do you see this rally? This is absurd.

Nah. False equivalence.

They started this, by taking right wing talking points as gospel truth. This crossed the line, a long LONG time ago.

Ekai

I am sorry but her back is against the wall. Bernie says whatever the fuck he wants and there is NO ACCOUNTABILITY FOR IT while he repeats the same three fucking things on stage. This guy is such a phony. I don't get it. I don't get how so many people can't see through his shtick by now. Hillary gives usually very articulate and detailed answers or positions on things and Bernie just beats his chest. He has very little to say.

I feel as though you haven't really listened to Bernie much. For example at the last debate he was accused many times by people of only ever answering with Wall Street to questions in that debate. When he literally only brought it up twice. Both times in relation to the topic at hand. He's been given an unfair rap by people who refuse to at all see another side of the issue.

This is EXACTLY why I'm so goddamn pissed that she literally can't just take the gloves off against him, because she has to keep his vitriolic and ignorant supporters.

He seriously needs to be put in his place.

The guy actually gives a damn about the disenfranchised minority. There's no place he needs to be put into. He's an option for those who want something farther to the left than the status quo we have now. Some Hillary supporters have frankly come across as extremely vitriolic and ignorant to me.

To be fair, Hillary completely apologized for saying that. I don't think that Bernie will apologize tomorrow about accusing the Iowa Democratic Party of fraud for getting delegates he shouldn't have gotten.

I don't care if she apologized. She more or less blamed a staffer for it. Should she be completely forgiven immediately? It continues to ring out my distrust for her on LGBT issues.

A good post in another topic: "Even the most charitable interpretation of her remarks as a mistake rather than a lie doesn't speak well to her priorities. Praising Nancy was clearly more important than getting the facts right."

Are you kidding me?

Nope.

No, that's fucking bullshit. Let's be fucking real here for a second: He's appealing to young college kids who literally have no idea how change is made in this country, who've all basically hopped on the bandwagon and their knowledge of government stops at 7th grade civics class, if that.

He's a fucking bandwagon candidate, with no nuance, no idea of fiscal policy, no idea of foreign policy and quite frankly, he's a fucking hack and liar. Why? He's been in Congress for decades, he should KNOW that his plans are completely and utterly DOA, yet he acts as if he can do it, and anyone who disagrees with him is an establishment shill. That's demagoguery. And demagogues have no place in the White House.

I much prefer Bernie's nuanced foreign policy in comparison to how damn hawksih Clinton is. And Bernie is the only candidate who actually gives a fuck about income inequality, which has caused a literal working poor class to form in America while prices rise ans income continues to stay stagnant. It's a very dire issue that needs to be addressed and Clinton doesn't care to at all address it. Funny cause he's gotten a lot done in Congress and has worked across the aisle many times. He does just fine. You are painting an entirely false picture of the man.

As for support he has? Yes. The disenfranchised support him. To quote myself from another thread:
"As far as this whole "remember who the enemy" thing that was brought up earlier I just wanted to echo and add on some thoughts. It really feels whenever I see a Hillary supporter make such arguments that they care less about the minority they are talking to or how they feel and rather that they, as another poster put it, want me to fall in line. To vote for their "Queen". It feels as though Hillary supporters have been exploiting the two-party system and how it harms minorities and those who support minorities, like Bernie, to their advantage. I, as a minority, feel exploited by you people. I don't like to say such things but it feels like they just want the Democratic party to break apart if you don't support their specific candidate first and foremost. Especially given how increasingly vitriolic they've been to anyone, particularly any minority, who supports Bernie.

I don't think a statement such as the one Hillary made should be easily brushed off but at this point, if she ends up with the nom., we unfortunately have to settle for her over whatever else is offered. Too much, particularly the SC, is at stake. That others would use this fact to try to guilt me into voting when I already said I'd vote for whoever the Democrat nom. is just continues to make me not like Hillary supporters all that much. Basically, I'm generally okay with settling for Hillary (as much as I don't trust her on the issues, particularly trans ones and her foreign policy and her economic standings and feel she's only going to settle for the status quo at best, she's better than any Republican... : / ), less so with how I've and others have been treated by those who support her. Her supporters who lack all kinds of basic civility or willingness to listen are the ones I am particularly upset with here, regardless of my views on Hillary. I feel like I am being told "wait your turn" (and that's the best case scenario, in other cases it feels/is sometimes outright stated that I need to shut up about my views on the issues) for being able to express my voice. Which is doubly frustrating since the LGBT movement itself, started by transwomen of color who fought for all within the spectrum, was co-opted and trans voices were actively silenced."

Nah. False equivalence.

They started this, by taking right wing talking points as gospel truth. This crossed the line, a long LONG time ago.

I mean some of the points are true and most aren't. They take what they can get. Think of this as what any good candidate deserves. I prefer bernie but Hillary will definitely take it from what I can tell. What line did they cross? He doesn't take really about benghazi or the emails or much about bill clinton shenanigans.

I think Trump and Trump's fans actually believe that the first amendment says "you can talk shit about minorities and women without anyone criticizing you." This is the only thing that makes sense considering that Trump is saying that protests violate the first amendment.

Not to mention avoiding all of social media.

I have to restrain myself from calling people out on FB, because I know it's a losing battle

Sanders stops just short of condoning physical violence against people he is against. He constantly calls for revolution and calls for non violence but note his response when confronted with the fact that his supporters actively contribute to the violence at the Trump rallies.

Coupled with his remarks on Castro and it will be extremely easy to paint him as a red wing communist demagogue that wants to turn the US into the next USSR.

Good lord. If college kids are the majority of people under the age of 45 then hey, sure.
The bulk of his advantage in under 45 comes from his impressively lopsided support in 17-29s. If I were to create marketing personas for each candidate Sanders' would probably be a 22 year old college student or graduate, marginally attached to the labour force, highly liberal (in some ways), white and male.

Ekai

Nah. False equivalence.

Funny since some Hillary supporters have consistently told minorities and fellow Democrats that you can't be a real minority/Democrat if you don't vote for Hillary and that you HAVE to fall in line and vote for her. You aren't at all innocent here as you've been one of the most vitriolic on that front. You refuse to listen to another Democrat view on things or listen to the nuances of the matter. You just insult us. There are real concerns regarding how she only ever sticks to what the status quo thinks is important. I don't want the status quo but if she ends up getting the nom. I am more or less forced to vote for her as there isn't any other option.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm really getting tired of hearing about "hillary supporters" from you, Ekai. You spent a big part of last week complaining about people saying Bernie Bro and now you are saying Hillary Bro and complaining about Hillary supporters. Why don't you stop, please?

ivysaur12

Banned
I don't care if she apologized. She more or less blamed a staffer for it. Should she be completely forgiven immediately? It continues to ring out my distrust for her on LGBT issues.

A good post in another topic: "Even the most charitable interpretation of her remarks as a mistake rather than a lie doesn't speak well to her priorities. Praising Nancy was clearly more important than getting the facts right."

Neither of them as sterling of a record on gay rights as either's supporters believe. I don't stand by what she said -- I posted my frustrations with her comments. I also think she has a stellar record on LGBT rights in practice during her tenure of SoS, so I do care that she apologized.

royalan

Literally praising the politicians responsible for letting thousands beyond thousands die (in a demographic she claims to support that is essential for her but has a rocky history ever supporting them anyway) is far worse than what you're saying in regards to Bernie accusing the Democratic Party of fraud.

A mistake (a big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless), but Hillary making a verbal gaffe is not on the same plane as Bernie flat out lying about Hillary's record and intentions, which is ALL he's doing these days. It's desperate, pathetic and dishonest, but he won't get called out on it because he's Uncle Bernie. He's the harmless plushie of the left. A weird mix of Kasich's Aww Shucks-ness and Trumps unapologetic ignorance of the details.

Funny, the biggest thing that's bothering me about Bernie right now, out of everything, is his stance on trade. I just don't get it, considering who his most vocal demographic is. Say goodbye to your affordable smartphones and macbooks if Bernie gets his way. Oh, and the economy will STILL tank!

I'm really getting tired of hearing about "hillary supporters" from you, Ekai. You spent a big part of last week complaining about people saying Bernie Bro and now you are saying Hillary Bro and complaining about Hillary supporters. Why don't you stop, please?

I just read like 5 straight comments from Kyosaiga calling Bernie Supporters every derogatory term he could think of from being Stupid to Bigots to Sexist.

Angry Fork

This is basically how Hillary feels about the poor/working class and young people as well. It's also why nobody likes her because she's very bad at hiding this toxic elitist view of citizens.

Also the major progressive changes (new deal, civil rights and ending vietnam in particular) in this country have generally always come from the bottom up, from activists and explicitly left-wing groups/individuals who put pressure on the establishment or vote for politicians sympathetic to their cause, either by breaking laws or mass mobilization of those negatively affected. Basically the people most likely to support someone like Bernie.

Also the major progressive changes (new deal, civil rights and ending vietnam in particular) in this country have generally always come from the bottom up, from activists and explicitly left-wing groups/individuals who put pressure on the establishment or vote for politicians sympathetic to their cause, either by breaking laws or mass mobilization of those negatively affected. Basically the people most likely to support someone like Bernie.

But I was told the Queen was the only one that could pass something through a Congress stacked full of people who have spent 25 years comparing her to the devil.

You mean the guy I just banned? I'm being polite, IMO.

Fair enough.

ivysaur12

Banned
Okay let's cut the tension.

What Xenoblade characters do we think each candidates are?

Bernie -- Riki (don't underestimate him)
Hillary -- Fiora (robotic, back from the dead with new moves)

Trump -- Zanza
Cruz -- Dickson (conniving servant of Zanza who went rogue)
Rubio -- Mumkar (you think he's tough, but he's an overrated villain)
Kasich -- Lorithia (would be challenging if she were the final boss, thank god she's not)

Ekai

Neither of them as sterling of a record on gay rights as either's supporters believe. I don't stand by what she said -- I posted my frustrations with her comments. I also think she has a stellar record on LGBT rights in practice during her tenure of SoS, so I do care that she apologized.

Bernie has worked with and cared for LGBT, and Trans-individuals in particular, for decades now. Hillary couldn't even acknowledge my existence late last year. She still described LGBT as gay/sexuality rights only. As for her record as SoS, I await how she acts when she is no longer a part of the Obama administration. I want to be optimistic. He was the one who gave a shit about trans-individuals even back during the 08' debates. Back then Hillary couldn't even acknowledge we exist and he did. He actually fought for us. It's fine that she apologized, it's to be expected and I will accept that she did. But I don't believe in a thing like that being easily forgiven.

A mistake (a big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless), but Hillary making a verbal gaffe is not on the same plane as Bernie flat out lying about Hillary's record and intentions, which is ALL he's doing these days. It's desperate, pathetic and dishonest, but he won't get called out on it because he's Uncle Bernie. He's the harmless plushie of the left. A weird mix of Kasich's Aww Shucks-ness and Drumpfs unapologetic ignorance of the details.

Funny, the biggest thing that's bothering me about Bernie right now, out of everything, is his stance on trade. I just don't get it, considering who his most vocal demographic is. Say goodbye to your affordable smartphones and macbooks if Bernie gets his way. Oh, and the economy will STILL tank!

Funny since Hillary has lied often about Bernie's own record and intentions. She is exactly as you describe him in that regard. And being ignorant of the details? Are you serious? The dude is the only candidate who gives a damn about some of the most important issues affecting our nation's economy and social infrastructure. We get progress with his ideals. We get status-quo at the absolute best with Hillary.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay let's cut the tension.

What Xenoblade characters do we think each candidates are?

Bernie -- Riki (don't underestimate him)
Hillary -- Fiora (robotic, back from the dead with new moves)

Trump -- Zanza
Cruz -- Dickson (conniving servant of Zanza who went rogue)
Rubio -- Mumkar (you think he's tough, but he's an overrated villain)
Kasich -- Lorithia (would be challenging if she were the final boss, thank god she's not)

That actually works.

Obama is Shulk

Beat me to it :lol

Angry Fork

The bulk of his advantage in under 45 comes from his impressively lopsided support in 17-29s. If I were to create marketing personas for each candidate Sanders' would probably be a 22 year old college student or graduate, marginally attached to the labour force, highly liberal (in some ways), white and male.

Young female support for Sanders is virtually the same as men, sometimes higher.

https://newrepublic.com/article/129483/millennial-women-gravitating-bernie-sanders

I don't deny that, but it's totally disingenuous to suggest that Sanders' support is limited to that demographic. If we're going to go with the "if you pull one of their supporters out of a barrel, what are you most likely to get" angle, Hillary's would be someone over the age of 65 and not particularly liberal. I don't think that's an effective way to disparage her as a candidate though, and I think it's a silly way to undermine their platforms.

B-Dubs said:
And it's even more lopsided from 17-24. From 24-30 is a bit more even, though Bernie still takes it.

"More even" in the sense that his support dips from 85-15 down to about 75-25. Obviously, though, there's a pretty clear gradient that the older you are, the more likely you are to support Hillary. The younger you are, the more likely you are to support Bernie. Again, though, I don't know what in particular that is supposed to prove about either candidate.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bernie has worked with and cared for LGBT, and Trans-individuals in particular, for decades now. Hillary couldn't even acknowledge my existence late last year. She still described LGBT as gay/sexuality rights only. As for her record as SoS, I await how she acts when she is no longer a part of the Obama administration. He was the one who gave a shit about trans-individuals even back during the 08' debates. Back then Hillary couldn't even acknowledge we exist and he did. He actually fought for us. It's fine that she apologized, it's to be expected. But I don't believe in a thing like that being easily forgiven.

As mayor Burlington, said that he wouldn't support an LGBT non-discrimination ordinance. He signed a traditional marriage pledge. He pleaded with the Vermont legislature to not pass gay marriage in the state because it would be too divisive.

But yes, he's the one who's the True Ally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom