• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

But I was told the Queen was the only one that could pass something through a Congress stacked full of people who have spent 25 years comparing her to the devil.

Hillary is more despised amongst most republicans than Bernie but they think she's going to convince them to play ball somehow, it's weird. I personally don't think either would get anything passed with a republican congress which is why it makes more sense to go for the guy who's at least going to aim higher and defend the principles/interests of liberals/left wing people.

Not only that but only Bernie can potentially motivate the young and disenfranchised to vote during midterms, which is something everyone has said is sorely needed, but for some reason isn't being considered now because Hillary's coronation is more important.

Ekai

As mayor Burlington, said that he wouldn't support an LGBT non-discrimination ordinance. He signed a traditional marriage pledge. He pleaded with the Vermont legislature to not pass gay marriage in the state because it would be too divisive.

But yes, he's the one who's the True Ally.

He "came around" far earlier than Hillary ever did. He also has expressed support for trans-individuals even back in the 80s when it was popular to ignore our existence and plight. She's literally only claimed to support LGBT ever since it became the status quo and okay for her to support. And even on that front she hasn't really at all supported the T til literally a few months ago. I trust Bernie far more as his position feels more genuine than hers.

But this isn't on the topic of Xenoblade X. I'm not far enough to equate characters to candidates, unfortunately.

Okay let's cut the tension.

What Xenoblade characters do we think each candidates are?

Bernie -- Riki (don't underestimate him)
Hillary -- Fiora (robotic, back from the dead with new moves)

Trump -- Zanza
Cruz -- Dickson (conniving servant of Zanza who went rogue)
Rubio -- Mumkar (you think he's tough, but he's an overrated villain)
Kasich -- Lorithia (would be challenging if she were the final boss, thank god she's not)

Ben Carson is the potato.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah that's what happened after I beat Xenoblade. 60+ hour epic story with great characters. Now I want to wander a big world and do sidequests while this fucking awful game makes a potato pun EVERY HOUR

Marketing personas are artificial people you create as a representation of a major segment. One for Clinton would be a black woman, 55, some to no college education, more moderate.

They don't mean there aren't other customers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Xenoblade X is so fucking bad I'm going to go play Trump shadow madness

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6889-1429884226-12.gif

But I was told the Queen was the only one that could pass something through a Congress stacked full of people who have spent 25 years comparing her to the devil.
Yes she can. Do you think Bernie would have been able to pass the Obama-Ryan compromise budget deal when it contained corporate welfare but was also a big win for spending? Of course not. He'd tear it apart.

royalan

Funny since Hillary has lied often about Bernie's own record and intentions. She is exactly as you describe him in that regard. And being ignorant of the details? Are you serious? The dude is the only candidate who gives a damn about some of the most important issues affecting our nation's economy and social infrastructure. We get progress with his ideals. We get status-quo at the absolute best with Hillary.

Because of Obama I have affordable healthcare for the first time in my adult life that isn't tied to my parents. Because of Obama my friends were able to get married and so will I eventually (just gotta take care of that whole finding a man thing). Because of Obama much needed conversations on police brutality and student debt have been started. So sorry if I'm not exactly angry at continuing the status quo right now.

I think this is the core reason why Bernie's call for "political revolution" is falling on deaf ears. We're not exactly following the Bush years here. We're following a very popular democratic president who, despite overwhelming opposition, managed to get a whole lot done pushing the country left. "More status quo" isn't a bad thing when the status quo IS progress.

ivysaur12

Banned
He "came around" far earlier than Hillary ever did. He also has expressed support for trans-individuals even back in the 80s when it was popular to ignore out existence and plight. She's literally only claimed to support LGBT ever since it became the status quo and okay for her to support. And even on that front she hasn't really at all supported the T til literally a few months ago. I trust Bernie far more as his position feels more genuine than hers.

I don't believe that Bernie has ever cared about LGBT individual more than any other person in the Democratic caucus, and I think it's revisionist history to assume that he has some sort of sterling record on LGBT rights. Even his DOMA vote was caked in federalism with almost nothing about the plight of LGBT folks and his revisionist history that he voted it out of a sense of fairness is as fucking absurd as Hillary saying that DOMA was a compromise about stopping a constitutional amendment.

Neither of these people are your heroes.

Yeah that's what happened after I beat Xenoblade. 60+ hour epic story with great characters. Now I want to wander a big world and do sidequests while this fucking awful game makes a potato pun EVERY HOUR

It's a great game with shit characters and shit story, but the gameplay is still fucking amazing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hillary is more despised amongst most republicans than Bernie but they think she's going to convince them to play ball somehow, it's weird. I personally don't think either would get anything passed with a republican congress which is why it makes more sense to go for the guy who's at least going to aim higher and defend the principles/interests of liberals/left wing people.

Not only that but only Bernie can potentially motivate the young and disenfranchised to vote during midterms, which is something everyone has said is sorely needed, but for some reason isn't being considered now because Hillary's coronation is more important.

This is only true in a universe where Republicans decide to not run attack ads or make any attacks. You mistake the lack of attacks currently with Republicans liking Sanders. This also indicates you have significant lack of awareness of politics.

I wish i had time to play any other games but dota 2 consumes everything. Bernie is keeper of the light, ben carson is wisp, donald trump is troll warlord, hillary is morphling, ted cruz is rikimaru, and marco rubio is slark.

I think the more interesting part is that he carries Independents. In a General Election you have to figure they're going to be 30% of the vote, and the other 35% vote along party lines almost no matter what, which leaves Sanders in a good position for any matchup with Republicans.

This is only true in a universe where Republicans decide to not run attack ads or make any attacks. You mistake the lack of attacks currently with Republicans liking Sanders. This also indicates you have significant lack of awareness of politics.

The narrative against why Sanders would lose is constantly shifting, but I don't buy that Republican attack ads would sink him. I remember people said he was done the second he said "Your taxes will go up" during I think it was an NBC debate. The outcome was his numbers went up in the polls.

Y2Kev

He hasn't even been able to get young people out in the numbers to vote for him to beat Hillary thus far! Hillary has a million+ more votes than he does!

The problem isn't getting young people out to vote. It's getting democrats out to vote of every stripe, especially minorities who make up the core of the democratic party.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I wish i had time to play any other games but dota 2 consumes everything. Bernie is keeper of the light, ben carson is wisp, donald trump is troll warlord, hillary is morphling, ted cruz is rikimaru, and marco rubio is slark.

I'm doing the same with Fortresscraft Evolved and Elder Scrolls Online.
I've played nothing else in weeks :(

sphagnum

Banned
It fits quite closely, it was politically motivated to a degree.

I don't like the idea of a terrorist being someone who uses violence for political reasons; that rules far too many people historically as terrorists.

A "terrorist" ought to be considered someone who uses violence against civilians to spread terror so as to achieve political goals. Once government/political/military figures are the target, the nature of the attack has changed to something else. Otherwise the term is too open to abuse.

Y2Kev

I think the more interesting part is that he carries Independents. In a General Election you have to figure they're going to be 30% of the vote, and the other 35% vote along party lines almost no matter what, which leaves Sanders in a good position for any matchup with Republicans.

Doesn't he carry self-identifying independents voting in the dem primary? Most registered independents are republicans; I see no way he would do well with Punished Republicans. His beliefs are even more antithetical to theirs than hers are. Ignoring personal animus, of course.

Yes she can. Do you think Bernie would have been able to pass the Obama-Ryan compromise budget deal when it contained corporate welfare but was also a big win for spending? Of course not. He'd tear it apart.

Bernie voted for the '94 crime bill despite expressing serious dissatisfaction with certain aspects of it at the time. I don't think drawing a line in the sand a few feet further back than Hillary makes him an absolutist. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The problem isn't getting young people out to vote. It's getting democrats out to vote of every stripe, especially minorities who make up the core of the democratic party.

Lets be realistic, if Sanders wins the nomination he would get the minority vote. The Republican party has been outright hostile towards minorities, there's almost no way they vote for someone who has shown them hostility over someone who means well but they just don't love.

Y2Kev

Lets be realistic, if Sanders wins the nomination he would get the minority vote. The Republican party has been outright hostile towards minorities, there's almost no way they vote for someone who has shown them hostility over someone who means well but they just don't love.

I don't disagree, but it's not meaningful. If Hillary wins the nomination, she would get the youth vote.

We have a tight primary in the democratic (adult) party. I think we will unify and do very well in November.

Bernie voted for the '94 crime bill despite expressing serious dissatisfaction with certain aspects of it at the time. I don't think drawing a line in the sand a few feet further back than Hillary makes him an absolutist. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He also voted against the authorization of funds for use during the bailout, which Hillary has hit him on a few times, because it gave money to banks. I think he absolutely has some hangups he won't budge from.

Ekai

Because of Obama I have affordable healthcare for the first time in my adult life that isn't tied to my parents. Because of Obama my friends were able to get married and so will I eventually (just gotta take care of that whole finding a man thing). Because of Obama much needed conversations on police brutality and student debt have been started. So sorry if I'm not exactly angry at continuing the status quo right now.

I think this is the core reason why Bernie's call for "political revolution" is falling on deaf ears. We're not exactly following the Bush years here. We're following a very popular democratic president who, despite overwhelming opposition, managed to get a whole lot done pushing the country left. "More status quo" isn't a bad thing when the status quo IS progress.

I am in the same position regarding healthcare. I agree that Obama has been good in the other regards you mention as well and that he has gotten much done. But all she's going to do is the status quo. There is far more that needs to be tackled that we have continued to ignore that Bernie brings to the table.

Income inequality is one of the worst issues facing this nation that Republicans and some Democrats have both participated in continuing to widen for decades now. We have a literal working poor class of millions that can't afford access to even daily meals because of this. All that this does in the end is harm the lower, middle classes and our economy overall at the expense of temporarily lining the pockets of the rich. Hillary doesn't give a shit about this issue and it harms millions of Americans. That combined with his desire to tackle social issues that Hillary barely even touches makes me prefer Bernie far far more.

And as a trans-individual, I am not happy or willing to setytle with the status quo of just fighting for gay cis-men only. The LGBT movement has been co-opted more than long enough and it needs to be about all in the spectrum again.

Republicans absolutely love Bernie, because he would get smoked in the general. And frankly, no one outside of democratic primaries (that constitutes less than 10% of GE electorate) knows about Bernie singing priases of Ortega and Castro. Thats just the way how things work.

Politics is really how you compromise and pass things. Thats how the budget deal passed. Bernie wants to run for a dictatorship where he doesnt want to politick. Just magically enact laws....or pass edicts.

pigeon

Banned

This is just not how independent voters work. The vast majority of "independent" voters always vote in one direction or the other, so they're really just party voters that don't admit it.

Vox did a dive on this a while back and the actual number of independent voters who are really truly willing to vote for either party is like 2% of the electorate. Focusing on that is just chasing a political bugbear.

royalan

What is this???

What on earth is going on?

x75TkNy.png

I am in the same position regarding healthcare. I agree that Obama has been good in the other regards you mention as well and that he has gotten much done. But all she's going to do is the status quo. There is far more that needs to be tackled that we have continued to ignore that Bernie brings to the table.

Income inequality is one of the worst issues facing this nation that Republicans and some Democrats have both participated in continuing to widen for decades now. We have a literal working poor class of millions that can't afford access to even daily meals because of this. All that this does in the end is harm the lower, middle classes and our economy overall at the expense of temporarily lining the pockets of the rich. Hillary doesn't give a shit about this issue and it harms millions of Americans. That combined with his desire to tackle social issues that Hillary barely even touches makes me prefer Bernie far far more.

And as a trans-individual, I am not happy or willing to setytle with the status quo of just fighting for gay cis-men only. The LGBT movement has been co-opted more than long enough and it needs to be about all in the spectrum again.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't believe that status quote is inherently a bad thing, especially when status quo IS progress. Obama may not have been able to tackle everything, but he got us started on the path. Hillary will continue down that path. And she has the political know-how and allies to make it happen. Bernie does not. Bernie is a lone wolf. Lone wolves don't get shit done in politics.

pigeon

Banned

You've posted this like four times now in the last half hour, so let's dig into it.

Here's Hillary's position on income inequality: https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/plan-raise-american-incomes/

I don't think it's changed much in the past nine months.

Do you have substantive critiques of it? Or are you really just trying to say that you don't trust her?

Bernie voted for the '94 crime bill despite expressing serious dissatisfaction with certain aspects of it at the time. I don't think drawing a line in the sand a few feet further back than Hillary makes him an absolutist. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
How far will Bernie the Politician draw the line in the sand for the budget that passed this year? Like what aspects of Republican fiscal policies will he accept in a budget deal? This is where the rubber meets the road.

I don't disagree, but it's not meaningful. If Hillary wins the nomination, she would get the youth vote.

More than likely. I'm going to vote for either, depending on who wins, and I imagine most people who identify as Liberal would. I don't see how Hillary getting the youth vote by default and Bernie getting the minority vote by default are all that different.

I think it's a closer race than most people give Sanders credit for. If he wins Ohio and does well in Illinois and Florida, it will probably still be a gap of 200 delegates, which is way better than most people said he would do 3 months ago. After the 15th we have 5/8 of the next contests being Caucuses, and they are all states that favor Sanders. I've found it interesting as the (minority) Sanders supporter that the narrative has gone; He'll do great in Iowa and NH but loses everything after that... well maybe he'll do okay in Nevada... look at how he got smoked in SC, race is over! ... well he'll probably pick up some states on Super Tuesday... to just outright frustration that he keeps winning states here and there. Yea, he's losing by wide margins in the south, but he's made it a tight race in most other places, and won in some unexpected ones (Michigan, Oklahoma).

He hasn't even been able to get young people out in the numbers to vote for him to beat Hillary thus far! Hillary has a million+ more votes than he does!

Not only that once the image that Bernie's supporters are the ones contributing to the violence against Trump gets aired by the media...

Let's see how his favorability ratings fare once the Republican machine paints him as the Castro supporter whose band of mobsters on the street are attacking God fearing Christians on the street.

He should have completely disavowed the people chanting Bernie protesting Trump. Now he just gave the right a free pass to paint him as a socialist power grabber mobilizing his supporters to attack Republicans.

Touchdown

Banned
A mistake (a big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless), but Hillary making a verbal gaffe is not on the same plane as Bernie flat out lying about Hillary's record and intentions, which is ALL he's doing these days. It's desperate, pathetic and dishonest, but he won't get called out on it because he's Uncle Bernie. He's the harmless plushie of the left. A weird mix of Kasich's Aww Shucks-ness and Trumps unapologetic ignorance of the details.

Funny, the biggest thing that's bothering me about Bernie right now, out of everything, is his stance on trade. I just don't get it, considering who his most vocal demographic is. Say goodbye to your affordable smartphones and macbooks if Bernie gets his way. Oh, and the economy will STILL tank!

queen

This is just not how independent voters work. The vast majority of "independent" voters always vote in one direction or the other, so they're really just party voters that don't admit it.

Vox did a dive on this a while back and the actual number of independent voters who are really truly willing to vote for either party is like 2% of the electorate. Focusing on that is just chasing a political bugbear.
I recall reading something along the lines of people wanting to disassociate themselves with the GOP post Bush. But they still reliably vote GOP.

I'm not sure if the same holds for lib, mod, con identification though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I recall reading something along the lines of people wanting to disassociate themselves with the GOP post Bush. But they still reliably vote GOP.

There was some polling to that effect in 2008 and 2012. Basically a bunch of republicans were so embarrassed by Bush that they left the party, but continued to vote GOP. Which is why Romney won independents but lost the election.

The short version is winning independents doesn't mean shit anymore and looking at the GOP right now, that likely won't change.

Angry Fork

I never said they liked Sanders, I said they despise Hillary more than Sanders, and will continue to do so. Nonetheless Trump has so far been running relatively liberal on economic positions (compared to his rivals, preserving social security, anti-trade agreements, "bringing our jobs back" etc.).

Not saying he actually believes any of that obviously but there's occasionally some overlap with Sanders in a rejection of neoliberalism except Sanders is further left. Trump doesn't really appeal as much to the libertarian/ayn rand complete anti-welfare people. The nazi's did the same in that they were extremely right wing socially but also created a welfare state (for "aryans" only obviously).

Ekai

I don't believe that Bernie has ever cared about LGBT individual more than any other person in the Democratic caucus, and I think it's revisionist history to assume that he has some sort of sterling record on LGBT rights. Even his DOMA vote was caked in federalism with almost nothing about the plight of LGBT folks and his revisionist history that he voted it out of a sense of fairness is as fucking absurd as Hillary saying that DOMA was a compromise about stopping a constitutional amendment.

Neither of these people are your heroes..

As I stated, he's actually given a shit about the community for decades longer. It makes him feel far more genuine than Hillary who has only jumped on when it was okay by the majority for her to do so. And unlike any other fucking Democrat he actually gave a shit about trans-individuals even decades back. It's not revisionist. It's me stating the blatant facts.

Also, a little history:
"By all measures, Sanders was ahead of his time in supporting gay rights. In 1983, as mayor of Burlington, he signed a Gay Pride Day proclamation calling it a civil rights issue. He was one of just 67 members in the House of Representatives to vote against the Defense of Marriage Act, a politically tough decision he prides himself on and points to as a key progressive bona fide. Sanders opposed Don’t Ask Don’t Tell in 1993, another President Bill Clinton-era policy, and supported civil unions in Vermont in 2000."

"In 1999, the Vermont Supreme Court ruled that the state had to guarantee protections and benefits to gay couples, a stop short of legalizing gay marriage. Sanders approved of the decision."

Which just only starts to cover how he has been on the matter. Suffice it to say, he has been a supporter/pushed for legislation in many manners far earlier than most Democrats. Not all but most. And easily way before Hillary ever came around to the issue. He has spoken passionately for us on the Senate floor even back in the mid 90s when it was unpopular to do so. Given the options, I much rather support him than her on the matter.

Tesseract

Banned
Not only that once the image that Bernie's supporters are the ones contributing to the violence against Trump gets aired by the media...

Let's see how his favorability ratings fare once the Republican machine paints him as the Castro supporter whose band of mobsters on the street are attacking God fearing Christians on the street.

He should have completely disavowed the people chanting Bernie protesting Trump. Now he just gave the right a free pass to paint him as a socialist power grabber mobilizing his supporters to attack Republicans.

What? Your assessment is really lopsided

I don't think most people like being labeled as is. They try and appear the most neutral they can. I would say a majority of people technically identify as Independent just to appear non-biased, but reliably vote a certain way. And then there's single-issue voters that only vote Republican for Guns or lower Taxes or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom