• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCrow

Is any one in poligaf Latino or come from an immigrant family/community? Especially in swing states?
Both of my parents came here illegally, mom from Mexico and dad from Guatemala. They finally became citizens a few years ago. Unfortunately we're in Chicago so we're just contributing to a blue state landslide.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
After reading that wikileaks thread and seeing facebook this morning, I've already starting preparing myself for the worse. I'll be shocked if Clinton wins at this point...

That Jeff Daniels quote from Newsroom is pretty striking right now."You want to know why people don't like liberals? Because they lose. If liberals are so fucking smart then how come they lose so goddamn always."

Wish I knew the answer.

I really give up.

Both of my parents came here illegally, mom from Mexico and dad from Guatemala. They finally became citizens a few years ago. Unfortunately we're in Chicago so we're just contributing to a blue state landslide.
Still get people registered to vote and if you have family in other states help them.

Im thinking of doing a thread with resources for GAF members who come from those backgrounds.

These people are likely never gonna be reached by pollsters but can really help solidify blue states and tip swing states.

After reading that wikileaks thread and seeing facebook this morning, I've already starting preparing myself for the worse. I'll be shocked if Clinton wins at this point...

That Jeff Daniels quote from Newsroom is pretty striking right now."You want to know why people don't like liberals? Because they lose. If liberals are so fucking smart then how come they lose so goddamn always."

Wish I knew the answer.
First of all they don't. And the answer is racism and cultural resentment because that stuff is immune from intelligence

Wish I knew the answer.

If this is sarcasm, bravo. If not, I have a bridge to sell you...

I really give up.
Don't. :p

Despite what I posted in the DWS thread, mostly hyperbole, I did appreciate your reply. It's good to keep reminding people.

It's only July. We haven't gotten through the DNC yet, nor had a single debate. This is the first election where I'm actually looking forward to the debates.

Diablos

I'm not even thinking Hillary is going to lose at this point, I am just disturbed that this orange fuckface who has barely spent any money and doesn't want to run ads can STILL somehow find himself tied with Hillary in polls. It shouldn't be this close but it is. I hope the Dems have a great convention and then keep that train going. I think they will.

Also don't bother debating hardcore Trumpers at work or on social media. It's futile.

I really give up.

Please don't give up. I have this thread and cruise OT 24/7 because I am so emotionally distraught by the possibility of a Trump presidency. I am afraid every single day. The sheer volume of news I consume from every available source has muddled my own ability to deduce reality.

I rely on people like you to explain why I should not be afraid. I rely on people like you to reassure me. Because I cannot do it myself. I am too far gone. I am too afraid. Everything I read that offers me even a modicum of comfort is obliterated by something as nebulous as summer polls or tweetstorms.

Y2Kev is the only thing that's real to me anymore.

Iolo

Memes on one's Facebook feed aside, today Trump expanded his Muslim ban, defended Ailes (he did so much for those women), threatened to pull out of the WTO, and said he might back David Duke depending on the Democrat.

Btw what do we want Bernie to say.

I want him to attack the idea of voting 3rd party. Say something like only Hillary can defeat Trump.

A more ringing endorsement would be good but he needs to really press home by not voting for clinton you're killing "the revolution"

Chichikov

Wish I knew the answer.
Aaron Sorkin is truly the master of writing dialog that sounds clever at first, but the more you think about it you realize it's stupid.

p.s.
AwibXIb.gif

For everything.

Donald Trump gets small post-RNC bounce in battleground states

Donald Trump has made small gains among undecided voters in eleven competitive states, according to two waves of the YouGov/CBS News 2016 Battleground Tracker, carried out before and after the Republican National Convention.

The Republican nominee’s share of support has risen to 42% in the latest survey, putting him one point ahead of his Democratic challenger Hillary Clinton. Trump’s support is up from 40% in the previous round of interviews while Hillary Clinton’s support held firm at 41%. Gary Johnson’s support is 6%, a one point increase from before, and Jill Stein’s was unchanged at 2%. The share of remaining undecided or third-party voters fell from 11% to 9%.

OmniOne

So just how many American campaign operators will work for any paying client regardless of national interest?

Manafort and Tad Devine both worked for Yanukovych

To be fair, Manafort was hardly the only American in Yanukovych’s orbit. Bernie Sanders’ consultant Tad Devine went to work for him in 2009. Ukrainians spent heavily in Washington, hiring a small army of top-drawer Republican lobbyists, including former congressmen Vin Weber and Billy Tauzin, to bolster Yanukovych’s image in Washington and ultimately stave off American support for Ukrainian democracy. But Manafort set up the largest shop in Kiev, housed in a well-guarded office just off Independence Square. During elections, his operation swelled to six American consultants, in addition to Ukrainian translators and drivers. He procured a special role in the Yanukovych camp. Anders Aslund told me, “Manafort became Yanukovych’s closest political advisor.”

pigeon

Banned

Wish I knew the answer.

This was seriously one of the worst speeches ever committed to paper.

I want him to attack the idea of voting 3rd party. Say something like only Hillary can defeat Trump.

A more ringing endorsement would be good but he needs to really press home by not voting for clinton you're killing "the revolution"

Not going to happen.

People have a right to protest the two-party system and will do so at the ballot box if need be. For these individuals, they will not accept blame for the results of a shitty government system because doing so would effectively be an endorsement tantamount to victim blaming and there's no way that Bernie would support something like that.

If a terrorist holds two of your children hostage and tells you to chose which one will live, and you chose to attack the terrorist instead, it's not your fault if the terrorist killed one of your children before you could reach him, so saying "you should have just chosen the younger one" doesn't change that fact.

TheCrow

Still get people registered to vote and if you have family in other states help them.

Im thinking of doing a thread with resources for GAF members who come from those backgrounds.

These people are likely never gonna be reached by pollsters but can really help solidify blue states and tip swing states.
Problem with being first generation is that a lot of my extended family are either undocumented or not in the USA. But yeah they aren't shy about how bad trump is and how impressive Hilary is. I'm with them for the weekend and you'd be surprised how little trump spin there is on Latino news and that's all they watch.

Also my parents didn't know what party Reagan was from. But they like him primarily due to the amnesty program. The movement from Reagan amnesty to trump's wall confused them.

Teggy

Probably the right move - no chance for boos

Phil MattinglyVerified account
‏@Phil_Mattingly Phil Mattingly Retweeted CNN Politics
Initially just her speaking slot. Now ALL DWS appearances - including gavel in & out - scrapped

shem935

Banned

Initially just her speaking slot. Now ALL DWS appearances - including gavel in & out - scrapped

Crossing fingers for a ritual sacrifice.

He's going to hold back on something that direct until it's absolutely necessary. I think he's a little tied in knots between knowing Hillary is the only choice to defeat Trump and absolutely wanting her to win, but also having a really hard time with the idea of imploring people to make a practical vote. That's just not in his DNA and he's probably hoping enough anti-Trump stumping will help people make the decision on their own without him coming right out and insisting.

Let's see how the GOP's Latino outreach went at the RNC. Couldn't have gotten worse, rig-

CoIxHvzXYAAGcQ7.jpg

"Steve King said white people have made more contributions to society than other races. Does this surprise you or do you expect something like this from Republicans?"

Surprised: 32%
Similar to other things I hear from Republicans: 68%

http://www.latinodecisions.com/files/9814/6924/6980/LVP_RNC_Full_Toplines_July_18-21.pdf

68% of Latinos believe that the GOP is a white supremacist party. That's not good for the GOP.

Clearly she's gone soon, hopefully we can move forward.

Just get rid of her

No one's going to give a flying fuck about the DNC five days from now so she should stay or leave just based on her merits or lack thereof. Fuck drama.

Getting rid of her now eats coverage for the first day and Sunday night.

Make her disappear then ditch her next week or later

This basically

Not going to happen.

People have a right to protest the two-party system and will do so at the ballot box if need be. For these individuals, they will not accept blame for the results of a shitty government system because doing so would effectively be an endorsement tantamount to victim blaming and there's no way that Bernie would support something like that.

If terrorist holds two of your children hostage and tells you to chose which one will live, and you chose to attack the terrorist instead, it's not your fault if the terrorist killed one of your children before you could reach him, so saying "you should have just chosen the younger one" doesn't change that fact.
It's not victim blaming. It's the truth. They should accept blame.

And if Bernie really feels people shouldn't support the two party system he shpuld have never run as a dem and taken their resources.

pigeon

Banned
Not going to happen.

If a terrorist holds two of your children hostage and tells you to chose which one will live, and you chose to attack the terrorist instead, it's not your fault if the terrorist killed one of your children before you could reach him, so saying "you should have just chosen the younger one" doesn't change that fact.

I don't think this is a particularly accurate ethical comparison.

Voting third-party is much more like refusing to buckle your child's seatbelt. If there is an accident, you may not be responsible for it, but you are responsible for the consequences.

The US presidential system, at least with regard to the executive branch, will naturally coalesce towards a two-party system.

I'm not sure what the alternative to the "shitty system" is.

Voting third party will basically always be pointless, unless you actually reach a point where you fracture one of the parties in two.
At which point the part that survives becomes the new party in the two party system.

Vote for whoever you want, but it does absolutely nothing.

It's not victim blaming. It's the truth. They should accept blame.

And if Bernie really feels people shouldn't support the two party system he shpuld have never run as a dem and taken their resources.

If they are victims of the repercussions of a shitty two-party system then yes, it is victim blaming. THAT is the truth.

And I didn't say Bernie feels that they shouldn't support a two-party system, but that he supports their right to protest it.

sangreal

No one's going to give a flying fuck about the DNC five days from now so she should stay or leave just based on her merits or lack thereof. Fuck drama.

This basically

I believe wikileaks is rolling out these leaks slowly to drag out the drama so who knows what the next round will bring

There certainly is no point in canning her before they are done. I can't stand DWS but if you're going to sacrifice the party head to quiet a scandal this is a pretty lame scandal to do it for

Here is something to keep yourself calm: if Clinton wins VA + PA, provided she does not lose New Mexico or New Hampshire, she cannot lose.

Seriously. She can lose every other swing state.

Whenever I'm feeling down, I just look at the NYT Election page with the decision tree and remind myself that she literally just has to win Virginia and Florida to win. Or Virginia, PA, and NH. Even if Trump has a national lead in total votes, I doubt he wins due to electoral constrictions.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think DWS knows what she's said in email, so I imagine if there were more to come she'd already be out. That said, she's bad so she should be out because she's bad.

If they are victims of the repercussions of a shitty two-party system then yes, it is victim blaming. THAT is the truth.

And I didn't say Bernie feels that they shouldn't support a two-party system, but that he supports their right to protest it.
They aren't "victims" of a two party system. They are people who are complaining the system can't give them everything and humanity and society have flaws in divning the choice of 300 million people for ONE spot.

It's a bullshit excuse. There's no way to fix it. There's one seat. They don't have the numbers to even out number their ideological brothers but their pissed anyways.

They're not victims their entitled people who believe their opinions should be respected more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom