• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best I can come up with is fire someone big. Like, something like that would maybe eat up a little bit of the news cycle. You need to find one fire to fight. You cannot survive a battle on 9 fronts. Make a big fuck up that can drown out the rest and then apologize for it? You're at rock bottom at the moment.

They did fire someone today.

They only person they could fire is Manafort that would make real headlines and change the narrative a bit.

Or maybe he could fire one of his sons. That would be funny and news grabbing.

ERIC TRUMP FIRED FROM DAD'S CAMPAIGN. SENT TO ROOM WITHOUT DESSERT.

Speaking of firing, I think the DNC is timing their stuff pretty well, firing the people who got in trouble with the email leak as Trump is dominating all the news. Hide the "DEMS IN DISARRAY" narrative under Trump imploding.

Jeels

Did everyone read the openly bigoted, openly xenophobic letter to Khizr Khan on Fox News frontpage? I'm not gonna let anyone give em clicks, but here it is. Read it through and be apalled.

"Muslim maniacs"...this is real life.

:( So sad to read.

All things considered, that is probably as good as it gets, unless the boots on the ground make it a wipeout.

Price the party is paying moving to the left rather than playing to the center.

But the Dems should definitely try and spend money in Missouri, Mississippi, Georgia and Arizona. Keep an eye out for Utah depending on how well Gary Johnson is doing. It's still unlikely to win any of those but it's close enough to be worth shooting for and make Trump play as much defense as he can.

Ya, this would be my pipe dream: http://www.270towin.com/maps/njvnn But that still doesn't get it to 400+ EVs lol

So, let's play Campaign Manager for a bit:

What do you do if you're the manager of the Trump campaign and he'll let you do pretty much anything you want? The stories aren't dying. They're getting worse. You need to change the narrative. What do you do?

One thing that Trump has going for him is that the Olympics are coming up on Friday. I'd go completely silent until then, develop a focused message based on being opposed to free trade, in favor of getting money out of politics, and nebulous talk about security. Raise as much money as you can and then push as hard as you can starting August 15th

They only person they could fire is Manafort that would make real headlines and change the narrative a bit.

The only way to really stop the bleeding is to handle it like Obama did when the Rev. Wright thing was blowing up. Stop going out and schedule a big speech and press conference to get out and change the narrative. Trump though incapable of doing this.

Oh, ya, it would have to be Manafort. Or, put up some paid staffer and give them a shitty thing to say. (something offensive, further than Trump has gone on something...) And then let Trump personally come out and repudiate them. It's not great, but it's something?

One thing that Trump has going for him is that the Olympics are coming up on Friday. I'd go completely silent until then, develop a focused message based on being opposed to free trade, in favor of getting money out of politics, and nebulous talk about security. Raise as much money as you can and then push as hard as you can starting August 15th
This is a good point. People will lose interest on Friday. Just let it go until then is probably the best thing you can do. The downside is, it's going to set in. If they're given nothing else this is the stink that's going to linger.

Teggy

Why are we trying to help Trump? Are you guys tired of winning? Are we going to whine to Hillary, "we have won too much, we are tired of winning!"

Meanwhile, the DNC did actually fire 3 people today, but no one will notice.

Zornack

The campaign's tactic so far has been to wait it out until a shooting or terrorist attack happens, so I guess they can continue to do that.

Why are we trying to help Trump? Are you guys tired of winning? Are we going to whine to Hillary, "we have won too much, we are tired of winning!"

Because I love politics? The game of politics is fun to me. Like governance is interesting, but politics is fun. It's challenging and interesting. And I should have made it my career.

More people got fired from the DNC talking shit about an outsider coming into the party to try to get the presidential nomination than got fired in the Bush administration over 9/11.

If I am Trump's campaign manager, I am terrified of the Olympics. Trump won't be able to handle the lack of attention. He will act out to stay in the headlines.

The international nature of the Games gives Trump a real chance to stretch his brand of racism into some exciting new areas. Imagine for a moment what Trump could tweet during Women's Gymnastics...

Why not? It's not like he listens to sound advice for his campaign.

He's had a disastrous week so far, and it's only Tuesday. He should lay low and refocus on his message (or his everything) while the Olympics are the big story for the next couple weeks, but who expects him to do that?

So, let's play Campaign Manager for a bit:

What do you do if you're the manager of the Trump campaign and he'll let you do pretty much anything you want? The stories aren't dying. They're getting worse. You need to change the narrative. What do you do?

Release apologies and "statements" faster, and severely limit interview access. There's no reason for Trump to be giving interviews to ABC, CBS, CNN, etc. Stick to Fox News where you have some control over what is asked; don't grant any interviews to Megyn Kelly though. Trump's biggest problem is that he is supremely ignorant and refuses to back down. If he makes a mistake he will continue to dig for days, hurting himself. Remember with the judge he dug for a week before releasing that corporate apology statement. If I was in charge I'd have statements like that released faster to attempt to kill the story, and then not book Trump for interviews unless it's Hannity or someone similar.

I'd also release specific policy papers on a frequent basis, perhaps twice a month. Anything to appeal to establishment republicans.

This is a good point. People will lose interest on Friday. Just let it go until then is probably the best thing you can do. The downside is, it's going to set in. If they're given nothing else this is the stink that's going to linger.

Yeah, but do you think Trump is going to take "people are distracted by the Olympics" as a good thing? He's an attention whore. He'll do something stupid to try and compete with the Olympics because he's got extreme narcissistic tendencies.

This brings me back to your original question; my answer is that whatever I might do as Trump's campaign manager is futile because Trump is driving that bus, has no discipline, and won't listen to me or anyone else anyway. It doesn't matter what I'd do. I could rough up women and neglect the opening of campaign offices like Corey Lewandowski, and I'd do as well as anyone else.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If I am Trump's campaign manager, I am terrified of the Olympics. Trump won't be able to handle the lack of attention. He will act out to stay in the headlines.

The international nature of the Games gives Trump a real chance to stretch his brand of racism into some exciting new areas. Imagine for a moment what Trump could tweet during Women's Gymnastics...

Imagine what he'd say about Usain Bolt during the men's 100-meter final...

Holmes

Well I applied for a new job and I was told that I should be getting an email by the end of the week if I make it to the next step. Hopefully I get it.

Release apologies and "statements" faster, and severely limit interview access. There's no reason for Trump to be giving interviews to ABC, CBS, CNN, etc. Stick to Fox News where you have some control over what is asked; don't grant any interviews to Megyn Kelly though. Trump's biggest problem is that he is supremely ignorant and refuses to back down. If he makes a mistake he will continue to dig for days, hurting himself. Remember with the judge he dug for a week before releasing that corporate apology statement. If I was in charge I'd have statements like that released faster to attempt to kill the story, and then not book Trump for interviews unless it's Hannity or someone similar.

I'd also release specific policy papers on a frequent basis, perhaps twice a month. Anything to appeal to establishment republicans.

This is definitely a good long term strategy! I think they're not elarning that the shit that worked in the primaries doesn't work in the General. And because the primary was so easy for him, he never thought to come up with an actual strategy or plan or anything. And they're not willing to be fast or adaptive. It's ridiculous.

pigeon

Banned

This is a pretty smart plan but I think it's dangerous to release specific policy papers because you have no confidence that Trump will be able to adhere to those policies in interviews and speeches. However, I guess Romney had a bunch of contradictory proposals and opinions and it didn't seem to hurt him that much, so probably the lesser of two evils.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is a pretty smart plan but I think it's dangerous to release specific policy papers because you have no confidence that Trump will be able to adhere to those policies in interviews and speeches. However, I guess Romney had a bunch of contradictory proposals and opinions and it didn't seem to hurt him that much, so probably the lesser of two evils.

The problem with Trump is he'll call his own policies dumb and sad without realizing that he's shittalking his own policies. Gotta keep that shit as vague as possible.

Teggy

Trump tweet next week: "Women's beach volleyball is the all time great Olympic sport. The best! Wouldn't Ivanka look great in one of those uniforms?"

Iolo

This seems reasonable, but the guy is now literally insulting babies at his rallies, and his Twitter access is still unrestricted. Interviews aren't the half of it!

This is definitely a good long term strategy! I think they're not elarning that the shit that worked in the primaries doesn't work in the General. And because the primary was so easy for him, he never thought to come up with an actual strategy or plan or anything. And they're not willing to be fast or adaptive. It's ridiculous.

Look at how he's preparing for the debates: whining that Gary Johnson and Jill Stein aren't there. He doesn't want to do the homework necessary to even keep up with Hillary in a one-on-one debate. He's only interested if he can get into a group shouting match where he can dominate by being loudest.

Crisco

Banned
As far as I can tell from Trump, GWB was never even president. We went straight from Clinton to Obama.

This isn't really a Trump phenomena, the GOP as a whole has tried to pretend W. never happened. In fact, they also try their best to make us forget that Clinton's 90s were the most prosperous time in history for the American middle class. In their minds, we all experienced a blackout sometime in the late 80s/early 90s and woke up in 2009 with a black man in the WH having ruined everything

Ugh how can Clinton not realize this complicated answer on explaining those emails is not going to register with people? Ultimately she just need to say she fucked up and will work on improving the security systems of the federal government and forget about it.

If I as a Clinton supporter can see the BS other people are going to continue to think she's dishonest.

Co3-ElJXEAEl7Rp.jpg
:D

The question of how to bring Trump train back on rails is tricky. Because it implicitly assumes Trump will listen to you. Assuming he does, then Trump can still salvage the disaster. All he has to do is say Khans made him appreciate the freedoms fluff, and that he is willing to sit down with Khizr for a talk. Or say he hired some Bush ex neocon to message the Russia strategy. Something. Anything is better than the circus right now.

Then muzzle the surrogates, and have them sign off the talking points memo with Manafort (since there is no comm director). Anyone out of line will be fired.

Iolo

Tim.

Ali Vitali ‏@alivitali 12m12 minutes ago Daytona Beach, FL

Per @kailanikm Tim Kaine joked about the crying baby that Trump kicked out of his rally earlier. "Sometimes you wonder who the baby is."

Holmes

Yaay, good luck. I love government work. Public service is so rewarding.
Thanks. It's more administrative than anything else but it can be a launching pad. I still want a job in my field and while there's no real shortage of chemistry-related jobs in the Bay Area, competition is something fierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom