• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT8| No, Donald. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

Yeah, but every single candidate for President other than Clinton has at some point raised questions about whether Vaccines actually kill you:

Donald J. Trump
‏@realDonaldTrump
Healthy young child goes to doctor, gets pumped with massive shot of many vaccines, doesn't feel good and changes - AUTISM. Many such cases!

Gov. Gary Johnson
‏@GovGaryJohnson
No to mandatory vaccines

And Stein's position is pretty well-known. Why is there this weird appeal to pseudo-science? Like, why is that position so popular among wingnuts?

Comfirmation bias at a level of religious fervor is never good for rational, unbiased thinking.

Also, let's just acknowledge how Trump COULD have made himself look good with the Purple Heart thing:

"Folks. There's a man here. A Veteran. A hero. We love our Veterans. Don't we? Love our Veterans. And he offered me his Purple Heart. Offered it to me. Said I could have it. Because this is a movement, folks. A movement. And he wanted me to have it. And I said, I can't take it. I didn't earn that. I can't take it. But it's great, folks. It's great. Believe me. It's beautiful. And I thank him. We love our Veterans."

AND YOU DON'T LOOK LIKE A FUCKING IDIOT. And you still get to pretend you're important for someone offering you their medal.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Trump's repeated hammering on the emails just reinforces the notion that Hillary needs a better freaking answer by the end of September.

It's gotta be difficult to come up with a good answer that:

1.) That people will understand given most people don't even know what an email server is.
2.) That people will understand given that the email policy at the time was a joke.
3.) That people will understand given that confidential information classification is a joke among agencies.

Oh, and you have to keep people's attention too.

It's just so much to try to boil down. Then you are up against the clearly partisan FBI Statement.

Johnson being against mandatory vaccines isn't probably anti-science. It's anti-government interference in your life. I mean, it's still stupid as hell, but it's not as ridiculous as loads of shots and then BOOM you got the autism.

I get (but don't agree) where he's coming from ideologically, but vaccine dodgers are freeloading on the herd immunity from vaccine users to keep them safe. Doesn't modern libertarian thought make exceptions to externalities like that?

Well, she did give ~30% of her fundraising from July to the party.

I'm 80-90% certain there's at least one Pro-Hil SuperPAC with the expressed mission of assisting Dems in competitive down-ticket races.

Clinton doesn't really need to run commercials right now, she should be moving that money to the DSCC

I was also thinking more 'boots on the ground' type of stuff with paid campaign staff and all the corresponding efforts that go alongside that. Start building those databases and volunteer networks.

It's gotta be difficult to come up with a good answer that:

1.) That people will understand given most people don't even know what an email server is.
2.) That people will understand given that the email policy at the time was a joke.
3.) That people will understand given that confidential information classification is a joke among agencies.

Oh, and you have to keep people's attention too.

It's just so much to try to boil down. Then you are up against the clearly partisan FBI Statement.

You ignore the FBI completely. Admit having the server was a mistake. Stand by the fact that you didn't knowingly (and that's the important word) send classified information. Mention that you disagree with the classification system, as did Colin Powell and Condi Rice. And tell them you'r egoing to make information security a top priority in your White House.

It's not that hard, and I don't knwo why someone isn't sitting her down and fleshing this thing out a bit.

I hadn't noticed that conservative columnist Jennifer Rubin came out against Trump: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...epublican-convention-2016-20160718-story.html

She's been slamming Trump since late 2015, and a few months ago began saying nice things about Hillary, even on foreign policy (!). Ironic given that she's one of the worst offenders in the "republican establishment" in terms of ludicrous attacks on the president, Hillary, etc I find this pretty interesting.

I also seem to remember she didn't like Rubio and would run negative, planted stories about him from the Bush campaign but I can't remember which GOP candidate she seemed to be supporting.

She's been slamming Trump since late 2015, and a few months ago began saying nice things about Hillary, even on foreign policy (!). Ironic given that she's one of the worst offenders in the "republican establishment" in terms of ludicrous attacks on the president, Hillary, etc I find this pretty interesting.

I also seem to remember she didn't like Rubio and would run negative, planted stories about him from the Bush campaign but I can't remember which GOP candidate she seemed to be supporting.

She only comes onto my radar occasionally, usually for an outrageous anti-Obama thing. I just checked her article list and twitter, and damn, anti-Trump is her full-time job.

I freaking couldn't be paid enough to be a Trump surrogate right now. There's not enough money or vodka in the world to get me through that.

Gruco

Banned
And Stein's position is pretty well-known. Why is there this weird appeal to pseudo-science? Like, why is that position so popular among wingnuts?

I think the issue is that anti-vax is the most salient issue for a huge share of people who hold it. They will 100% vote on it alone, regardless of their other beliefs. Whereas sane people wonder why we're even discussing it and vote based on anything else.

I get (but don't agree) where he's coming from ideologically, but vaccine dodgers are freeloading on the herd immunity from vaccine users to keep them safe. Doesn't modern libertarian thought make exceptions to externalities like that?

I actually don't know if I've ever seen a hard core libertarian (as in, voters for the lib party or the Paul crew) acknowledge the validity of market failure as an economic concept. Or, if they do, it doesn't matter because freedom, measured solely by government activity, is the only normative value of any merit.

pigeon

Banned
You ignore the FBI completely. Admit having the server was a mistake. Stand by the fact that you didn't knowingly (and that's the important word) send classified information. Mention that you disagree with the classification system, as did Colin Powell and Condi Rice. And tell them you'r egoing to make information security a top priority in your White House.

It's not that hard, and I don't knwo why someone isn't sitting her down and fleshing this thing out a bit.

Hillary really hates admitting she made a mistake when she still thinks it was basically an okay decision. It's one annoying trait she shares with Obama -- she tends to be confident that if she just explains things right she'll convince reasonable people.

I freaking couldn't be paid enough to be a Trump surrogate right now. There's not enough money or vodka in the world to get me through that.

You can tell that any of the people who might actually be able to argue somewhat effectively are staying as far away as possible. Also I'll just say that Hilary's surrogates are almost as bad as her on the email question.

It is late October. An unopened box marked "Trump Opposition Research" lies gathering dust in the corner. An intern glances at it wistfully. "We never needed it," she mumbles, a lone tear falling down her cheek. "We never even needed it..."

I am quoting this because it made me laugh. Good job.

Man, I can't even keep up with all the stupid shit going on in the Trump campaign.

Is it even fair to call it a dumpster fire, anymore? More like a an entire garbage dump yard catching fire.

Fladam

There's a Russia joke in there with Vodka mention... for some reason I can't seem to joke about his campaign too much anymore. The guy has lost it.

Hillary really hates admitting she made a mistake when she still thinks it was basically an okay decision. It's one annoying trait she shares with Obama -- she tends to be confident that if she just explains things right she'll convince reasonable people.

The thing is, I don't think it was that big of a deal. Everyone did it, so who cares? I'd wrap her statement in a ton of qualifiers. She has been willing to admit it was a mistake...or at least qualify it with "I have said it was a mistake." Like...wrap it in whatever you want to.

Hot take:

Obama's attack on the GOP today can go one of two ways:
1) It forces the GOP to double down because they have to spite him at every chance.
2) It scares them enough to actually do it because Obama is popular enough to hurt them.

Either case, it's a win for us.

Trump is now tweeting a story about Hillary telling a dog to fuck off. lol

thebloo

The thing is, I don't think it was that big of a deal. Everyone did it, so who cares? I'd wrap her statement in a ton of qualifiers. She has been willing to admit it was a mistake...or at least qualify it with "I have said it was a mistake." Like...wrap it in whatever you want to.

Hot take:

Obama's attack on the GOP today can go one of two ways:
1) It forces the GOP to double down because they have to spite him at every chance.
2) It scares them enough to actually do it because Obama is popular enough to hurt them.

Either case, it's a win for us.

They'll keep tap dancing around the Nameless candidate and call Obama a dictator.

Also, let's just acknowledge how Trump COULD have made himself look good with the Purple Heart thing:

"Folks. There's a man here. A Veteran. A hero. We love our Veterans. Don't we? Love our Veterans. And he offered me his Purple Heart. Offered it to me. Said I could have it. Because this is a movement, folks. A movement. And he wanted me to have it. And I said, I can't take it. I didn't earn that. I can't take it. But it's great, folks. It's great. Believe me. It's beautiful. And I thank him. We love our Veterans."

This would require humility.

Co38K46WEAAa2vK.jpg

They're going off the rails...

Crisco

Banned
I would imagine the main reason she hasn't come up with a more digestible answer to the email issue is that anytime someone near her mentions it they immediately burst into flame.

I can't find it online, but MSNBC just said that in the Survey Monkey poll, Hillary's bounce was big in the West and (I think they said) Midwest/Rustbelt.

I can't find the break downs, and I didn't have it on the TV with the DVR....they had actual numbers. In the West she went from 52/39 to 56/35. But, that was the only one I caught.

So, let's play Campaign Manager for a bit:

What do you do if you're the manager of the Trump campaign and he'll let you do pretty much anything you want? The stories aren't dying. They're getting worse. You need to change the narrative. What do you do?

Eric Trumps response somehow makes Trumps response even worse because it implies that only weak women end up sexually harassed
Of course he's also obscured the fact that he was originally defending the horrific shit Ailes pulled

kess

I can't find it online, but MSNBC just said that in the Survey Monkey poll, Hillary's bounce was big in the West and (I think they said) Midwest/Rustbelt.

I can't find the break downs, and I didn't have it on the TV with the DVR....they had actual numbers. In the West she went from 52/39 to 56/35. But, that was the only one I caught.

I've suspected as such, because Democrats do much more reasonably with white men outside of the South, and Clinton will crush it among professionals.

https://www.scribd.com/document/319896703/NBC-News-SurveyMonkey-Toplines-and-Methodology-7-25-731

Interesting 58% put Hillary's speech as excellent or good with another 19% at okay. Just 20% poor or terrible. Stunning numbers.

Don't see the crosstabs you want, though.

It's 2:49 on the Beast Coast

1) Donald Trump said that if his daughter was harassed, she should get a new job.
2) One of his male-spawn said that his sister wasn't weak enough to be sexually harassed.
3) Donald Trump attacked a baby, after saying he loved the baby.
4) Donald Trump got a Purple Heart and said he always wanted one and was proud he got it the easy way.
5) His opponent announced she raised 3x as much money as he did.
6) The President of the United States repudiated him on television, and called out the entire GOP.
7) One of his male spawn tried to say he apologized to the Khan family, which never happened, thus keeping it in the cycle yet again.

How do you fix this?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

What do you do if you're the manager of the Trump campaign and he'll let you do pretty much anything you want? The stories aren't dying. They're getting worse. You need to change the narrative. What do you do?

There's nothing you CAN do. The Trump campaign literally cannot run a positive campaign (he has virtually no coherent policy aims beyond vague xenophobic sentiments) so you have no real option but to either double-down on going as negative as possible or dial it back, which isn't going to work either.

Well if it's literally "anything you want" then it's make him flat out fucking apologize to the Khan family right this nanosecond. And then just start over with the kind of non-aggressive statement any other politician on Earth knows how to make in response to Khan's "attacks" and hope the cycle wears itself out.

Wilsongt

Did everyone read the openly bigoted, openly xenophobic letter to Khizr Khan on Fox News frontpage? I'm not gonna let anyone give em clicks, but here it is. Read it through and be apalled.

"Muslim maniacs"...this is real life.

Lol. Such a wide brush the GOP loves to paint with.

There's nothing you CAN do. The Trump campaign literally cannot run a positive campaign (he has virtually no coherent policy aims beyond vague xenophobic sentiments) so you have no real option but to either double-down on going as negative as possible or dial it back, which isn't going to work either.

This is true, and I appreciate that. But, they need to turn it up to 11. They have to have something...anything they can put out there that the media would bite on. Something. There are some weakass attempts on twitter, but it's literally, bitching about Hillary telling a dog to fuck off.

They don't have an endorsement or something?

Apologize. Actually apologize. Trump has to be willing to acknowledge his faults.

I would preemptively clean out my desk before I gave that advice.

It's really difficult because the only way to fix this involves destroying Trump's image where he never admits he is wrong. Him admitting he was wrong on anything would immediately start to raise the idea in people's minds that maybe he isn't right about everything and speaking his mind all the time isn't a good thing.

The best I can come up with is fire someone big. Like, something like that would maybe eat up a little bit of the news cycle. You need to find one fire to fight. You cannot survive a battle on 9 fronts. Make a big fuck up that can drown out the rest and then apologize for it? You're at rock bottom at the moment.

All you can really do at this point is continue to reinforce the reality bubble to your strong supporters, get your reasonable elected official allies to tell everyone else you'll be a "good, staunch Republican" and try not to embarass them mulitple times a day.

Then hope the economy tanks later in the year in dramatic, 2008-grade fashion, because you can't win OH/PA/NC with their current urban employment numbers given how badly you are being outspent and out-hustled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom