• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Nothing shows how out of touch poligaf is by spending 3 pages talking about someone creating a cable news network.

Everyone in here 80?

You are making the incorrect assumption that Trump is a talented and wise business man. For someone who is smart looks at profit that person would not start a cable news network. A businessman who is concerned only about plastering his name on everything and erecting monolithic statues to himself then a news network makes a lot of sense.

Plus, this is the only business deal that he probably has left. His well to do customers will likely avoid him like the plague because they don't want to associate in public with a brand that is now synonymous with white nationalism and the white working class is too poor to afford that crap.

Yeah. Gerrymandering *purposefully* dilutes your supporters. You do it to get more districts, but the risk is that you bring the tipping point much lower.

I would *love* to see them lose the house because they gerrymandered and didn't foresee a possible high single or low double digit landslide as a possibility.

If (and that's a big "if") a bunch of Republicans in R+5 districts get swamped and the Democrats take the House, expect the word "dummymander" to get thrown around a bunch.

So, good Q numbers especially for Hillary. Their headline though...

August 17, 2016 - Clinton Has Big Leads In Colorado, Virginia, Tied In Iowa, Quinnipiac University Swing State Poll Finds

A three point lead is not a tie. That is not how MoE works. You are a pollster YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS INFORMATION.

August 17, 2016 - Clinton Has Big Leads In Colorado, Virginia, Tied In Iowa, Quinnipiac University Swing State Poll Finds

A three point lead is not a tie. That is not how MoE works. You are a pollster YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS INFORMATION.

#Narrative

Slacker

I swear I think Rick Perry may be a once-in-a-generation mind, in a bad way. He's like the kid at the party who tries to bring the pretty girl a drink and ends up spilling it all over her. Why in the hell is he keeping the Kahn discussion going? And why hasn't Trump dispatched Russian strongmen to have an unpleasant conversation with him yet?

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...t-slain-army-captain-s-dad-you-started-it.ece

The campaign had been trying to move on, and the feud had largely faded before Perry's CNN appearance revived it.

“I think the Democrats used him in a way that quite frankly I’m not sure that I approve of,” Perry said. "We love our veterans, we love our Gold Star families, but the fact of the matter is Mr. Khan politically used his time on that stage to go after Donald Trump. Why in the world he thought that he was going to get a free ride with that is beyond me. He shouldn’t get a free ride when he’s going to inject himself into the political arena.”

I'm pretty sure the whole Kahn thing will be studied on political science classes for the next 100 years as an example of how to take something that's mildly negative for your campaign and turn it into a situation where you're just kicking the ball in to your own goal over and over and over again.

I'll never get how any professional political operative lets this happen. All Trump had to say was something simple like: "For Mr. and Mrs. Khan, the pain of losing their son while defending our country is unfathomable, and I think it gives them the right to say whatever they want, whether they’re right or wrong." Wait, someone did say that? Wait Chris Effing Christie said that?!?

Come on Trump

Grief.exe

The faster we can switch the House over to a Parliamentary system the better.

Where you basically vote for a party, then the state is represented proportionally.

Maledict

Ezra Klein making some good points

1. This happens a lot in politics. Some advisor comes into a troubled campaign and says “you have to be more you!" Candidate: "Brilliant!"

2. Problem is, the candidate was already being himself. The gloves were already off. That's why the campaign was flailing.

3. So it’s not just that the new strategy is dumb, but it’s not new. It's soothsaying, not a pivot.

4. We'll see, but that's my guess on how Bannon/Trump plays out. Trump was already being Trump, being confrontational, being nationalistic.

5. The campaign is constantly saying "America First!" There's just not that much further to take this strategy.

I think it was on "Keeping it 1600" where they said - Let Bartlet be Bartlet is *never* a winning solution. It's a piece of fiction that made for good television but absolutely isn't how you campaign.

If (and that's a big "if") a bunch of Republicans in R+5 districts get swamped and the Democrats take the House, expect the word "dummymander" to get thrown around a bunch.

Dems if they take back any statehouses need to look at a redrawing in the next two years they're nothing preventing it

They shouldn't however create a dem gerrymander. Just make seats more competitive.

gcubed

You are making the incorrect assumption that Trump is a talented and wise business man. For someone who is smart looks at profit that person would not start a cable news network. A businessman who is concerned only about plastering his name on everything and erecting monolithic statues to himself then a news network makes a lot of sense.

Plus, this is the only business deal that he probably has left. His well to do customers will likely avoid him like the plague because they don't want to associate in public with a brand that is now synonymous with white nationalism and the white working class is too poor to afford that crap.

Well let's rephrase. People actually considering that the channel would be on any cable system or streaming service tier is the amazing part.

It'll be on cable, for an extra $10 a month for the garbage package. Where all these partisan stations go and die.

Reading the things people write about MoE can be a very painful experience.

Either way, this is further confirmation that Clinton is up big in CO and VA, while Trump runs surprisingly strong in IA (but is still behind).

Can pollsters please stop polling VA and CO? It's over Johnny. Allocate your resources to NV or IA.

Its not news anymore but these results are still super important from a national perspective. Without VA, PA becomes must win for the GOP and they haven't shown the ability to get enough rural vote to win there.

Jeels

George Borjas knows that Trump doesn't consider him white, right?

CqE4F62WAAQ7xct.jpg

Borjas coming out as a white nationalist in favor of Trump when Borjas isn't white by Trump standards is fucking bizarre.

George Borjas is a Cuban immigrant and the most famous anti-immigration economist in the world.

First time hearing about this person. Where did he make the quote? What a terrible quote...

Kusagari

Why haven't we seen as much Ohio polling? Considering it's often seen as "the swing state" these constant VA/CO polls are annoying.

Without Colorado and Virginia, what other swing states does Trump have to win? All of them?

He could win with Romney + OH + FL + PA or tie (which would likely be as good as a win) with Romney + OH + FL + NV + NH + IA. The likelihood of either scenario is left as an exercise to the reader.

Teggy

Where does Hillary read her speeches from? She has clearly prepared her speech, but she doesn't look like a total moron (Trump), looking from teleprompter to teleprompter (and there aren't any there). I occasionally see her looking down, but mostly she looks at the crowd.

thebloo

That's pretty funny but I still have a visceral need to punch every time I see Ben Shapiro's god damn smug dick face.

BenShapiro.jpg

I agree.

Where does Hillary read her speeches from? She has clearly prepared her speech, but she doesn't look like a total moron (Trump), looking from teleprompter to teleprompter (and there aren't any there). I occasionally see her looking down, but mostly she looks at the crowd.

They hide them well.

538698056-campaign-staff-members-adjust-a-teleprompter-gettyimages.jpg

Iolo

Exactly. Although there's also a 'nowhere to go but up' vibe. Which sounds logical, except that I fully expect things to go further downhill anyway.

Ali Vitali was arguing on Twitter that Trump has nowhere to go but up with African-Americans. No, I think that's not the case.

With this new shift, I fully expect the "We don't know Trump and we don't support him" campaign for GOP Congressmen to begin.

Not quite yet for these shining stars:

Jonathan Martin Verified account
‏@jmartNYT

I hear top ranks of GOP are in "wait and see" mode over new Trump team - Conway ok, but senior Rs are wary of Bannon bc of anti-estab stuff
probably has a hot date
no time for embargos

Mutual mathturbation

Its not news anymore but these results are still super important from a national perspective. Without VA, PA becomes must win for the GOP and they haven't shown the ability to get enough rural vote to win there.

Really Trump's biggest problem is that he's getting destroyed in the Philadelphia suburbs. There's simply not enough vote in the rural parts of the state to counteract that. If Republicans want to turn PA red in the future, they had better hope this is an aberration due to Trump being particularly toxic among those voters. A changing suburban vote cost them Illinois and New Jersey (among others) two decades ago, it could put Pennsylvania out of reach now. What they do in the aftermath of the Trump disaster is key.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...-dont-trust-intelligence#.V7Sl7KaAMwI.twitter

During an interview aired on “Fox and Friends” Wednesday morning, Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, was asked whether he “trust intelligence.”

“Not so much from the people that have been doing it for our country,” Trump responded. “I mean, look what’s happened over the last 10 years. … It’s been catastrophic.

“Very easy to use them, but I won't use them, because they’ve made such bad decisions,” he said, pointing to apparent intelligence failures ahead of the United States's 2003 invasion of Iraq. At the time, George W. Bush administration officials appeared convinced that Saddam Hussein’s government was creating weapons of mass destruction, though that was not the case.

He literally doesn't trust the intelligence agency's and will create his own sources.

Dude loves living in conspiracy land

Teggy

This dude on CNN - "how come the democrats haven't supercharged the economy after the worst recession since the 20's. Failure!"

TyrantII

Yup. Dude branded steaks and water with his name. Steaks and water.

Wat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom