• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
So, I have no idea how this would work procedurally, so apologize if this sounds preposterous -

but is today going to cost Paul Ryan his job? It seems like a catastrophic failure of leadership if this doesn't happen.

edit: I see the OT is having a similar discussion

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe names are disclosed on those reports but I'd imagine he probably can recollect a few of the conversations or foreign persons that have been recorded.
That's what all this whining about unmasking is about though. Certain individuals in NSA CIA and FBI can basically unredact names and identities in the intel. It's not a stretch to believe they moved to do that in the closing days of the admin along with the more open sharing of the intel.

Blader

So, I have no idea how this would work procedurally, so apologize if this sounds preposterous -

but is today going to cost Paul Ryan his job? It seems like a catastrophic failure of leadership if this doesn't happen.

Not immediately, but possibly eventually. Failing to pass an Obamacare repeal and replace package, and having the failure be your first (!) legislative move in a unified Republican government, is going to leave a huge stain on his speakership. It'll be a very public demonstration that Ryan does not have control of his caucus.

I would say it plants some seeds to start heading that way.

Vestal

My fear is if it passes the House, Trump will have momentum as making a great deal and changing minds and it'll make it easier to get through the Senate. The media is drooling at the idea they can sell an amazing "comeback" for Trump as a fearless deal maker.

I want it dead, full stop, and provide the most embarrassment for Trump and Ryan

CNN was still saying plainly last night that this was the easiest step in the process. So I think even if it passes then the real questions start to look about how a much more moderate bill will pass the house when the Senate sends this back.
Make no mistake the bill being voted on today will be tossed in the garbage when it reaches the Senate and replaced with something very different.

edit: I see the OT is having a similar discussion
Yes. If this fails to pass the House in a floor vote, he's done. He mightimp along for a while, but his ability to enact legislation will effectively be in the hands of the HFC,and in all likelihood he resigns soon. Wouldn't be shocked if he's gone by Monday.

It's not just that he failed to get the votes, it's that he failed to get the votes on *his bill*. No way he can stay on as legislative lead of the GOP.

What are the odds Nunes saw his own name/conversation in the intel?
We know that he has a business partner whose one of Putin's besties according to public records..

It would not be shocking if he was involved in some way shape or form.. it was probably why he also acted the way he did at the end of the Comey hearing

I'd still argue it's better for the bill to fail in the House but you can certainly make a case for it passing the House and dying in the Senate being better. I really don't see the case that this bill being signed into law is the better outcome.

I'm with you. If this passes the House, then that shows the HFC and the rest of the GOP can come together for legislation. I don't want that; maximum dysfunction at every stage is best.

If you're cold, then it passing would help us the most with winning seats later. Instead of hypothetical "your taxes and insurance will probably go up" we'd probably have a few examples of people actually dying because of this.

The obvious downside is that people die, so I'd rather avoid it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Uh. Mnuchin on Trump's stamina: "He's got perfect genes. He has incredible energy and he's unbelievably healthy."

Also, Mnuchin in other parts of this interview claims AI and automation aren't even on the radar. Believes they won't threaten human jobs for 50-100 years.

Uh. Mnuchin on Trump's stamina: "He's got perfect genes. He has incredible energy and he's unbelievably healthy."

Also, Mnuchin in other parts of this interview claims AI and automation aren't even on the radar. Believes they won't threaten human jobs for 50-100 years.

The old white men in charge won't be around to see it happen anyway, they'll all die off in the next decade or two, so why worry about it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I went to ft lauderdale yesterday for vacation before I start my new fabulous and lucrative job and I got food poisoning. I've been in bed since I got here. I blame poors for this. Seriously can't even eat food prepared by poors without getting sick these days. When will this madness over healthcare end?

Pass ahca, give riches a chance

I'm here against my better judgment as median home prices on trulia were sub 1 million for the record.

Apart of me still thinks he would vote for the HC bill in the senate. The guy is sucking up so damn much.3

EDIT: I was wrong. Dyslexia and bad eye sight strikes agian

Blader

Except for all those coal miners and auto plant workers who have already been put of work by automation, of course.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Inside source some journalists are using on Twitter is apparently saying that Nunes is purposely destroying the House investigating committee to cover for Trump.

If this bill somehow passes, are we back to the way things were on 2007-2008, or will be worse off?

Way, way worse.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

So he's saying he's a perfect specimen of the aryan amerikkkan race? 🤔😒

Lmao, Paul Ryan's going to meet Trump?

This is so absurd.
All theater. This is just some Celebrity Apprentice: Politics Edition bullshit

If this bill somehow passes, are we back to the way things were on 2007-2008, or will be worse off?

Worse off, like everyone said, but stand assure that if it some how passes today in congress it doesn't mean it is law yet. It has about 50 other hurdles harder than today.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ben Jacobs‏Verified account @Bencjacobs 11m11 minutes ago

It looks like Trump's first infrastructure proposal is a high speed bus lane that will go right over Paul Ryan

Ice cold.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
iF6gJV7.jpg

Edit: this could still pass tho! maybe, possibly, it's uncertain.

Edit 2: Paul Ryan is about to discover, being diametrically opposed politically aside, Obama wasn't so bad.

@RyanLizza
Nunes essentially blew up the investigation because he realized the scope of what he negotiated with Schiff could actually threaten Trump.

@jonathanchait
@RyanLizza is this based on reporting? or surmising based on known facts?

@RyanLizza
@jonathanchait both. I think Schiff rolled him during negotiations over scope. After Mon. Nunes/WH realized they're screwed & needed way out

@RyanLizza
I know that Nunes's Monday testimony was coordinated with WH because top WH official told me, "Watch the predicate that is set" by Nunes.​

So Nunes realizes that he has been outplayed and essentially pulls the fire alarm to cancel the test. That's a pretty desperate move.

Hindl

@RyanLizza
Nunes essentially blew up the investigation because he realized the scope of what he negotiated with Schiff could actually threaten Trump.

@jonathanchait
@RyanLizza is this based on reporting? or surmising based on known facts?

@RyanLizza
@jonathanchait both. I think Schiff rolled him during negotiations over scope. After Mon. Nunes/WH realized they're screwed & needed way out

@RyanLizza
I know that Nunes's Monday testimony was coordinated with WH because top WH official told me, "Watch the predicate that is set" by Nunes.​

So Nunes realizes that he has been outplayed and essentially pulls the fire alarm to cancel the test. That's a pretty desperate move.

How does he just get to blow up the investigation though? Someone else is going to take it up right?

There are time I wake up in the morning thinking/wishing it's Nov 8th again. And that everything until now has been a horrible nightmare.

Andrea Mitchell just said that she has a source of people apart of the transition team are purging their phones...

This is not suspicious at all. They are just clearing space on their phones.

Slizeezyc

How does he just get to blow up the investigation though? Someone else is going to take it up right?

Yes, the committee doesn't just die with him, there are many various outcomes that can come from this, some that are way worse for Nunes. It was a panic play.

Plinko

Andrea Mitchell just said that she has a source of people apart of the transition team are purging their phones...

If these were being tracked by FISA (which they most likely were), that's not going to do anything.

There are time I wake up in the morning thinking/wishing it's Nov 8th again. And that everything until now has been a horrible nightmare.

When such thoughts enter your mind, just think what a shit-fest a Hillary presidency would have been. And I don't mean that from her side of the coin, but rather the unprecedented obstruction and hostility the opposition would have shown her. I fully believe we would have been in the midst of a govt shutdown while several investigations into Benghazi and Clinton Foundation were ongoing. Impeachment impeachment impeachment. No cabinet appointments, no SC confirmation, and a stone wall on every single policy proposal. The Russia stuff that would have still come out would be discarded as politicized nonsense from the Clinton executive branch.Not to mention the far-left wing of the party would have been more vocal and thrown countless fits at any perceived compromise or centrist policy (kinda like the HFC are doing now).

Unless we took 1 of the Senate or the House, it wasn't going to be a worthwhile presidency. The Republican party would have been a borderline domestic terrorist organization. As a Hillary fan it would have been torturous for me to endure and I'm honestly glad she doesn't have to go through with that bullshit.

I'm starting to honestly think a Trump win was the best case scenario for Dems long-term prospects.

How does he just get to blow up the investigation though? Something else is going to take it up right?

The scope of an investigation is primarily set at it's creation. So a possible course of events could be something like this.

*Nunes agrees to start an investigation.

*Schiff out plays him and structures the investigation in such a way where it's scope would actually be damaging to Trump (and possibly Nunes himself)

*Nunes realizes he fucked up and tries to derail the whole thing.

*This does two things:

One: it buys Trump time to destroy information and cover shit up.

Two: it gives the framers of the next investigation an opportunity to narrow the scope of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom